PDA

View Full Version : What if anything can be done about the unacceptably lag in multiplayer games?

Globespy
11-09-2015, 08:55
I understand Pcars is hosted by Microsoft.
I understand that the host should have a solid connection.
I believe Ian said that they ran the game with 20+ cars and it ran smoothly without lag - was everyone in the same building??
I have business class connection (110Mb down/45Mb up with latency in the 19-30ms range depending on the day) and whenever there's more than say 7-8 people in the lobby, there's almost always lag/rubber banding that makes racing near impossible.
Only times I ever get clean races is hosting private sessions, but I should be able to enjoy the lobbies.
Who is at fault here? MICROSOFT or is it a game issue?
I appreciate the addition of lobbies but really what's the point if racing is often impossible?
It's amazing that with a next gen console there isn't a way to align good connections together?
If this is all Microsoft's fault, then fine, but there has to be a solution to this. I cancelled my pre-order if Forza 6 after playing the demo, but it will be interesting to see how well their lobbies work? I am pretty sure they will be much cleaner given their relationship with Turn 10, but we all pay for live, so all games should work well.
Thoughts??

Umer Ahmad
11-09-2015, 10:04
We have seen improvement in mp stability with guys running online in the teens.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38095-PATCH-3-0-your-opinions&p=1105311&viewfull=1#post1105311

Not sure what the difference is in their configurations however.

KkDrummer
11-09-2015, 10:06
Dedicated servers....devs should use dedicated servers. Look at Forza...MP plays great on day 1.

D1rty Duck UK
11-09-2015, 13:02
Want decent races online then get Forza 6.

4 months after release while it's a little better it's still well below an acceptable level to me

SUBGTRACER
11-09-2015, 13:24
On ps4 lately when we play on a Wednesday night in our league it seems to be getting worse , blue screens and drop outs every time .....a poor online expieriance .

Disappointing is a understatement .

Raven403
11-09-2015, 13:24
Yeah, Player 2 Player isn't ideal, Dedicated Servers is the way to go. It'd be nice if we could utilize them on console similar to BF4s rented server system

Without using the Skype or Party chat workaround it's a pretty poor online experience overall. I'd be interested to see how many people are actually still playing it

Megalomanic87
11-09-2015, 13:53
Played Pcars for the first time in over a week today.

Join lobby,
Race,
Rubber banding again.

4 months and not much improvement, stood by this game despite the haters and pelters i get from friends.
Not even surprised anymore.

rtazz17
11-09-2015, 14:18
Yup,need dedicated servers.Im not starting a pr car forza debate but multiplayer on forza is always good and always has been.

nissan4ever
11-09-2015, 15:13
Dedicated servers....devs should use dedicated servers. Look at Forza...MP plays great on day 1.

Business class speed Internet is overkill to play games online. You only need 500kbps upload/download or less to game online. That's it. Internet that's fast is only good for uploading pics and YouTube or downloading full games, movies, and music. Won't help your gaming experience.

Dedicated servers are worthless if you get people from the other side of the world. Example. You live in Texas. The dedicated server you connect with is in New York. Yet for some reason, the game puts people from Australia & Italy on that same server. The people from Australia & Italy will lag, due to ping/distance from server.

I saw the same thing on FM5 dedicated servers. I would expect it to put me with people from US. Yet I would get paired with folks from Europe & Australia. Who knows where the dedicated server was. Lots of people would be lagging for ping/distance reason, on dedicated servers.

All a dedicated server does is get rid of host advantage/disadvantage. That's it. Works great if everyone connecting to it is within a reasonable distance from it. Not having people from across the ocean connect on that dedicated server with you.

I remember the Titanfall beta. Game had dedicated servers. I could see where the servers were & pick the one I had a great ping with (it showed the ping. Example, I remember my ping being 35ms with a dedicated server in New York). That's when it works great. Provided people choose servers they have a good ping with.

Another option, when racing with friends or leagues online. You should set them up with people that live a reasonable distance from you. Not with people from across the ocean.

widcard
11-09-2015, 16:12
I don't get the nit-picking that still continues, 3.0 has and did improve multiplayer by a considerable margin.

Keith Talent
11-09-2015, 17:07
I don't get the nit-picking that still continues, 3.0 has and did improve multiplayer by a considerable margin.

Improved, but still not playable for many.

Globespy
11-09-2015, 17:50
I didn't start this post to get in to a debate about Forza. I've played Forza since inception and its hardly the pinnacle of multiplayer consistency. Cars driving around the track 20ft in the air and plenty of rubber banding. And no constant work on addressing the issues that SMS have demonstrated. Whether they fix everything isn't the point, they are at least trying. That can't be said for the big guys who have left us high and dry over the years.
I agree that Pcars has work to do, but it's so much more than Forza, just my opinion. I was hoping for so much more from F6, but 30 minutes after installing the demo I had uninstalled it and cancelled my pre-order. Again, my opinion.
I don't understand why a company like Microsoft can't easily implement a matchmaking system based on ping, latency and/or regional location to reduce the lag issues. We all pay for the service and there should be minimum requirements to play. If you dont have a decent connection in relation to the others in the lobby, you get bounced elsewhere. If you can't afford a connection good enough to meet minimum requirements then you get your money back from Live and simply told that you didn't meet minimum requirements to ensure you don't ruin the experience for the majority who have a good enough connection. Console online gaming requires very fast decision making and when you don't really know where another car actually is on the track then it's unfeasible to have a clean, competitive racing experience.
If you can afford an Xbox One, racing wheel etc. then you can afford a good connection. It's 2015....majority shouldn't have to comply with the minority.
Maybe if enough people 'lagged' on renewing their live subscriptions then things would change.... Money talks.

widcard
11-09-2015, 19:30
Improved, but still not playable for many.

Okay' I'll give you that,,, I am empathetic for those that are still truly having issues,,, but to go as far as to say the Sim is still unplayable for many "" No' I'm sorry Sire there is no way that's an accurate statement.

This is coming from a guy that couldn't even begin to have more than three online race's at a time with out Game Crashing Dashboarding Mayhem! before 3.0.

Now as it is after 3.0' I can find multiple lobby's with in mere seconds and be on the track with in a few minutes!

3.0 has been a huge game changer for me!

Some of you guys can't begin to understand what's taken place to get us to 3.0,,,

At the end of the day it's a fabulous Sim for consoles and I do not see anyone knocking SMS off their perch for a long time to come

Like I've said before lite'n up. 3.0 has been and will always be a big shot in the arm.

HenTheKing
12-09-2015, 00:23
To me it's as hit and miss as it was before the browser. Lobbies don't load, I get disconnected and still my tunes won't load more than half the time. All very well having a slightly better way joining of an online game but it's worthless if your tunes don't load.

The lobbies are only slightly better than before and the game barely functions outside of time trial for me. Speaking of which, only a handful of cars are worth using in time trial, there's simply no point in using anything other than best in class for each track. In a racing game. It's stupid.
If they'd got the basics right at the start we'd be seeing a very different reaction. Unfortunately, for me, nothing and I do mean nothing, seems to work as you would expect, when you have competition like forza, you're gonna sink.

Mrbrown33
12-09-2015, 09:04
Apparently pcars has just become apart of an esports, good luck with that. Lol

inthebagbud
12-09-2015, 19:53
Ok so I am watching a MP stream via xbox on twitch the guys are complaining about lag and it is painful to watch keeps cutting out going slow etc.

I also have same stream on my tablet and it is flawless

Same WiFi network so what is going on