PDA

View Full Version : why the dull interior view???

little fella
11-09-2015, 10:55
I would like them to make the in car view as bright and colourful as from the outside.I hate it when game programers think it looks more realistic with dull washed out graphics. It's not just this game others do it too and it looks crap.
I prefer playing from inside the car for realism but when you switch views to outside it looks so much better.
Sure give us reflections on the glass and other effects but when I drive my car the view doesn't turn all drab and dreary.
The inside view from Forza 6 appears much clearer and more vibrant.Hopefully someone from SMS will read this and maybe it can be a setting for new patch that can easily be changed in the settings menu.

Sankyo
11-09-2015, 10:57
I would like them to make the in car view as bright and colourful as from the outside.I hate it when game programers think it looks more realistic with dull washed out graphics.
I prefer playing from inside the car but when you switch views to outside it looks so much better.
Sure give us reflections on the glass and other effects but when I drive my car the view doesn't turn all drab and dreary.
The inside view from Forza 6 appears much clearer and more vibrant.
You mean the darkening of the outside world when in cockpit view, right? This has been a discussion point for some time. Are you talking about specific cars that have too dark track exposure, or in general?

You listening SMS?
No need for that.

Umer Ahmad
11-09-2015, 10:58
You talking about the car interior materials or how the world environment looks?

Post a couple pictures because i'm not sure what exactly you're talking about "drab and dreary"

little fella
11-09-2015, 11:04
Yes just in general it all looks very drab and washed out and to me it could look as clear and colourful as if playing from say bonet cam.
Didn't mean anything nasty about my are you listening comment.Perhaps I should have worded it better my bad but just meant it for anyone from SMS who I know read these forums.No offence meant (always been a bit cack getting comments across sorry).
Even if they put an option in the settings menu to remove that particular filter that darkens the environment and washes everything out.I am sure they could do this reasonably easily as there are plenty other settings that can be enabled/disabled such as heat haze a rays etc.

TrevorAustin
11-09-2015, 11:12
Yes just in general it all looks very drab and washed out and to me it could look as clear and colourful as if playing from say bonet cam.
Didn't mean anything nasty about my are you listening comment.Perhaps I should have worded it better my bad but just meant it for anyone from SMS who I know read these forums.No offence meant (always been a bit cack getting comments across sorry).
Even if they put an option in the settings menu to remove that particular filter that darkens the environment and washes everything out.I am sure they could do this reasonably easily as there are plenty other settings that can be enabled/disabled such as heat haze a rays etc.

It's the auto exposure afaik. A much hated feature :)

little fella
11-09-2015, 11:13
When looking through the glass from interior view the surroundings are darker with what appears to my eyes less contrast and colour.
It's difficult to explain but if you switch views you will see what I mean.This is an effect that happens in alot of racing games and I don't get it.Have reflections on the glass and stuff put keep it looking bright and colourful same as from other views.

little fella
11-09-2015, 11:17
It's the auto exposure afaik. A much hated feature :)
Oh so that's what it's called.
I have hated this type of interior view effect for years it really effects the graphics shine when playing from my favourite view.
Maybe it's just me but I would love to see this adressed in a future patch so the effect can be toggled on an off from settings menu.
I would be really pleased with that.Anyone else think the same or am I the only one?

Dynomight Motorsports
11-09-2015, 13:02
I think its pretty spot on, as you can see from the Youtube video's in-car cams vs in-game in-car cams. I personally run with a Amber visor on my helmet in my real car, but I don't have that option in game altough I like Helmet view, wish they had a tinting option when that sun glares.

flymar
11-09-2015, 13:14
So the thread is not about interrior view. It's about washed out exterior view from cockpit/helmet cam, right??
Maybe some thread title change...?

I agree about view with helmet overlay in some cars and some lighting conditions. It's much better with clean cockpit.

Umer Ahmad
11-09-2015, 13:21
So are we talking about Cockpit Camera or Helmet Camera?

Lets figure out if it's the visor effect or something else. Really a picture would speak a thousand posts here.

little fella
11-09-2015, 13:21
So the thread is not about interrior view. It's about washed out exterior view from cockpit/helmet cam, right??
Maybe some thread title change...?

I agree about view with helmet overlay in some cars and some lighting conditions. It's much better with clean cockpit.

No thread I posted is about the view outside from the interior view.
I just don't get why everything looks so drab is it supposed to simulate real life.I am not talking about the helmet view.It's about the effect the glass screen seems to make on everything you see outside.
To me its really dulls down and takes the polish of those beautiful graphics and why?
Like I said if you switch from the inside view to any of the outside views everything looks so much better.When I get in my car in real life there are no differences apart from glare and reflections.The colour is the same etc.

Umer Ahmad
11-09-2015, 13:23
I always thought the glass (especially the feont windscreen) was abnormally clear like almost invisible for most cars in the game.

Give 1 example car please (again, pictures would be great)

Dynomight Motorsports
11-09-2015, 13:25
I think it's cause the glass is not that clean or you are looking through glass to see out of the car.

little fella
11-09-2015, 13:25
So are we talking about Cockpit Camera or Helmet Camera?

Lets figure out if it's the visor effect or something else. Really a picture would speak a thousand posts here.

It is the cockpit camera not the helmet camera.
In cockpit camera when viewing outside scenery there is a noticeable difference.Like I said everything looks darker and colours very washed out when playing with this view.
All I am saying is that in my opinion it spoils the graphic sheen you get from playing with outside camera.
Surely others have noticed this unless I am going mad......Cuckoo! !!!!

little fella
11-09-2015, 13:34
And here comes the men in white coats.

flymar
11-09-2015, 13:36
It is the cockpit camera not the helmet camera.
In cockpit camera when viewing outside scenery there is a noticeable difference.Like I said everything looks darker and colours very washed out when playing with this view.
All I am saying is that in my opinion it spoils the graphic sheen you get from playing with outside camera.
Surely others have noticed this unless I am going mad......Cuckoo! !!!!
Sometimes it's darker, sometimes it's brighter (rain). You can try changing Exposure slider in visual options. Maybe that will help you.

little fella
11-09-2015, 18:09
No it still looks washed out.

Umer Ahmad
11-09-2015, 19:07
Which? Car?

TrevorAustin
11-09-2015, 20:24
In assetto cords you can turn autoexposure off, or modify the max/min fixes it instantly. Even use page up/down in the game to change it on the fly. Any of those options would be welcomed.

Lukeymonster
11-09-2015, 22:43
My most recent experience with this occurred on race two of my gt4 career at Bathurst in the boss 302r. The race starts in the early evening in the rain but the weather clears. From inside you definitely need the headlights on as it feels very dark. But switch to outside and it's very bright out. It's almost like the entire window is tinted. In my experience based on the time of day the interior darker view is more correct. The outside bright view does not really match the conditions.

CPU M Rossi
12-09-2015, 00:25
In the G40 the interior view is a little too bright
hood
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5719/21147156068_0d64e51c49_c.jpg

interior
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/670/20712288644_889bf20513_c.jpg

Umer Ahmad
12-09-2015, 00:42
Thanks for the pictures! Ok yes, there are some cockpits that are too light or too dark. Ruf gt3 is very bright too. Pretty sure SMS is aware of it.

CPU M Rossi
12-09-2015, 01:15
Thanks for the pictures! Ok yes, there are some cockpits that are too light or too dark. Ruf gt3 is very bright too. Pretty sure SMS is aware of it.
oh ok thanks for the reply
hopefully at some point it can be fixed

little fella
12-09-2015, 06:22
In the G40 the interior view is a little too bright
hood
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5719/21147156068_0d64e51c49_c.jpg

interior
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/670/20712288644_889bf20513_c.jpg

thanks for putting the pics up I didn't know how to do it.
You can clearly see in the bottom pic how the colours are washed out and everything just looks over saturated and drab.
The sky doesn't have the nice blue gradiant to it instead is just white.Lokk at the road surface, coloured curbs and grass too everything looks poor in comparison to what you see using the outside views.
Keep the nice reflections on the glass and other effects but why make it look so washed out.
Checked again last night and it does appear way to bright sometimes from the inside with what appears to be less detail.Other times looks too dark but colours always washed out.Looking at the trees gives a good account of what I am trying to say.
Maybe its just me being too picky lol.

MAARTEN
12-09-2015, 08:37
I always drive in cockpit-mode and i have noticed difference in gamma/brightness on the windscreen between the Ford Focus RS that looks really bright and nearly washed out and the BMW 2002 turbo that the opposite looks very dark. Maybe the brightness depends of the angle of the windscreen?

Ford Focus RS, too bright?
BMW 2002 Turbo, too dark?

Bamu
12-09-2015, 11:10
i have noticed difference in gamma/brightness on the windscreen between different Field of View (FoV) Settings.

Standart FoV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE9R_T7wRVs

FoV 54:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJr2Dvcm73Y

With FoV 54 the gamma/brightness looks too dark.

Chris Shakespeare
12-09-2015, 13:56
I hate the little bug that switches me to cockpit view from helmetcam whenever I pit grrr. Never seen it mentioned either

Chris Shakespeare
12-09-2015, 13:56
I always drive in cockpit-mode and i have noticed difference in gamma/brightness on the windscreen between the Ford Focus RS that looks really bright and nearly washed out and the BMW 2002 turbo that the opposite looks very dark. Maybe the brightness depends of the angle of the windscreen?

Ford Focus RS, too bright?
BMW 2002 Turbo, too dark?

Best explanation I have seen

flymar
12-09-2015, 14:08
I hate the little bug that switches me to cockpit view from helmetcam whenever I pit grrr. Never seen it mentioned either
Known thing.

ONT
13-09-2015, 06:22
The cockpit HDR exposure problem was pointed out noumurus times during development to no avail :dejection:

Hopefully some one will tackle this BUG car by car and implement the correct settings, time consuming.....but hardly brain surgery :)

flymar
13-09-2015, 06:45
The cockpit HDR exposure problem was pointed out noumurus times during development to no avail :dejection:

Hopefully some one will tackle this BUG car by car and implement the correct settings, time consuming.....but hardly brain surgery :)IMO it's not possible with the auto exposure working. Even if you set it car by car - and it is done (there was several passess already) it will work for one lighting condition and get messed up in other. So (again, IMO) new technology would be needed. Maybe getting rid of auto exposure. But I think that could drastically change the look of the game.

ONT
13-09-2015, 08:03
I argued that the HDR auto exposure was a menace, but got very little love for that theory......hopefully things will change :)

TrevorAustin
13-09-2015, 08:16
Just don't get why it can't be made adjustable or turned off on the fly like AC. That would appear an easy fix.

Rob Prange
28-09-2015, 10:34
To share a bit of insight on this discussion:

The game uses automatic exposure adjustment based on the overall scene brightness, however it was found during development that the in-cockpit view was too bright, because the dark interior of the car resulted in the total scene brightness being much lower than desired, and so the automatic exposure system boosted the exposure to compensate for this, causing the world outside the car to be too bright.
We tested a number of options for dealing with this, and the current system was the best compromise we found, however it doesn't deal with certain cases, in particular moving the seat forward can cause it to be too dark because the dark interior is no longer as visible.

Options which have been tried but rejected include :
Completely disabling the cockpit exposure adjustment - this make some cars almost unplayable
Using centre weighted exposure - this works fine for certain cases, but when the helmet cam turns the head so that the A-pillar comes into the centre area it causes problems with over-exposure

Invincible
28-09-2015, 10:40
Is there any chance that the cockpit exposure adjustment can be "modified" by the player within certain parameters, just like the overall exposure?

Because sometimes it can be a bit disturbing as it is now. For example when you're racing a tin top and use the "look back" button... *waah! My eyes!*
It is kinda like when you turn on your smartphone screen in the middle of the night.
Relatively dark in forward view and blinding light and crippling brightness when you look back.

TrevorAustin
28-09-2015, 10:40

The game uses automatic exposure adjustment based on the overall scene brightness, however it was found during development that the in-cockpit view was too bright, because the dark interior of the car resulted in the total scene brightness being much lower than desired, and so the automatic exposure system boosted the exposure to compensate for this, causing the world outside the car to be too bright.
We tested a number of options for dealing with this, and the current system was the best compromise we found, however it doesn't deal with certain cases, in particular moving the seat forward can cause it to be too dark because the dark interior is no longer as visible.

Completely disabling the cockpit exposure adjustment - this make some cars almost unplayable
Using centre weighted exposure - this works fine for certain cases, but when the helmet cam turns the head so that the A-pillar comes into the centre area it causes problems with over-exposure

Thanks for that. But I can't understand why you don't assign or allow to be assigned the ability to adjust on the fly by the user? Or turn off even? Then you can set what the developers think is the best, but of course this is very subjective and you could then easily allow the user to choose what they like best, depending on their vision and display, I.e. Monitor, TV, rift.

flymar
28-09-2015, 11:23
Is there any chance that the cockpit exposure adjustment can be "modified" by the player within certain parameters,
I guess it will be the best solution if it would be saveable by car. But IMO it won't fix all the problems. You set it right for certain weather/time of day and it will bork another lighting condition.

Roger Lee
29-09-2015, 01:58

They already had a solution and stripped it out. The cockpit exposure setting that was located in the F1 debug menu worked perfectly and could have been incorporated into the game with a simple key combo (as Assetto Corsa does). So it's not exactly true that there was no good solution for this problem.