PDA

View Full Version : Wheel recommendations for casual PC user on a budget.

balderz002
11-09-2015, 17:48
Can anyone recommend a steering wheel/pedal set for a budget of around 100. I'm not a mega sim racer, and am only a casual racer. Cant stretch to a Logitech, and deffo not a fanatec....

Cuba
11-09-2015, 17:52
Logitech Driving Force GT (DFGT) is a great wheel for the $. That was my beginner wheel. But get ready to upgrade once you've had a taste of the wheel :)

Invincible
11-09-2015, 17:54
Don't know how much a Driving Force GT is in the UK, but I've paid 98€ for mine in Germany. Should be possible to get one for slightly below 100 .

balderz002
11-09-2015, 18:23
Thanks for the heads up guys! Operation Charm the Wife is now in effect! Defcon 5!

Invincible
11-09-2015, 18:49
Good luck! Report back as soon as the mission is accomplished.

Dismissed.

balderz002
11-09-2015, 19:00
Report back as soon as the mission is accomplished.

Well, here's a comparison. You know how long ISAF forces were in Afghanistan....... It wont be a quick mission is what I mean!

donpost
11-09-2015, 19:30
Another vote for the DFGT here - fantastic wheel for the money.

David Wright
11-09-2015, 21:30
Anything cheaper really isn't worth getting. Back in the day I bought one then another cheap wheel, but both times went back to a joystick. Then someone bought me a Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel for my 40th and with that I stuck to the wheel.

k.merse
12-09-2015, 05:23
The true economy wheel is a Logitech MOM Racing. It's old, but it's durable. has lots of buttons, and you can get one for a few nickels.

Namron
12-09-2015, 07:34
The Logitech DFGT gets another vote from me also - fantastic wheel for the money :encouragement:....

My DFGT worked straight out the box with minimal tweaking needed at all & the FFB is very good also.. :)...

Nam...

balderz002
06-10-2015, 14:48
so, going to try and push this again with 'er in doors.

Looking like from what I can see, I can only get a second hand DFGT under a ton. (unless anyone knows otherwise, please link me happy!)

So, does anyone have opinions on the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458?

Yorkie065
06-10-2015, 14:57
I picked mine up 3 and half years ago for 80 at Game and I'm still using it today. Fantastic wheel to get as a starter and couldn't recommend it enough. Just keep shopping around and you should hopefully be able to find one somewhere.

balderz002
06-10-2015, 15:00
How do you find the gear stick on the wrong side?

balderz002
06-10-2015, 15:10
shit the bed. how did that happen? (sorry for the language!)

Just told the missus i wanted to get a wheel at some point (again), and she said yes!!
BINGO WAS HIS NAME-O!

Yorkie065
06-10-2015, 15:13
How do you find the gear stick on the wrong side?

It's perfectly fine, it's a sequential shifter so just bump it forward or back, and it's close enough to the wheel rim so you don't have to take your hand off the rim, but far enough away that you won't knock it.

balderz002
06-10-2015, 15:16
does anyone have any problems playing other games with the DFGT?

I might load up RACE07 again......... and get TOCA2 to work on win10!

Invincible
06-10-2015, 15:25
does anyone have any problems playing other games with the DFGT?

I might load up RACE07 again......... and get TOCA2 to work on win10!

Nope. All working fine (except for TDU2, but it's the crappy game's fault).

Charger
06-10-2015, 15:34
Check your local Currys/PC world they have discontinued the G27 and are selling them off in store for around 130, far superior to the DFGT for that price.

balderz002
06-10-2015, 16:34
Anyone tried a tx 458?

Namron
06-10-2015, 17:44
Logitech DFGT user here as well & it works well with Pcars without too much flaffing about to get good FFB feed back If you get my drift:), Good wheel & works well with other titles aswell like Euro Truck Simulator 2, Dirt Rally e.t.c...

Nam.....

balderz002
06-10-2015, 18:59
Well, bought a thrustmaster 458 wheel (not the 000 tx version) and a wheel,stand for 120 from amazon. Glad to finally join the,ranks!

Charger
06-10-2015, 19:10
Well, bought a thrustmaster 458 wheel (not the 000 tx version) and a wheel,stand for 120 from amazon. Glad to finally join the,ranks!

I wouldn't bother mate, the pedals are awful and will snap they are plastic, my mate had one for a few weeks and the Acc pedal snapped, he bought a G27 from Currys when they were 159 and he loves it, metal pedals and 3 of them, you will also be disappointed with the plastic wheel creaking while you play, I could hear his over his mic, it sounded like it was being tortured, just my 2 pence worth though.

Mr.Smoke
06-10-2015, 21:05
+1 for Thrustmaster pedals being horribly cheap & easily broken. I broke my T100 pedals after just over 100 hours on pCARS. Paddle shifters make a horrible racket & overall poor build quality. Logitech all the way!!

NemethR
06-10-2015, 21:17
Logitech Momo Racing.

I use my 3rd wheel now, used them for around 12 years now.

Unfortunately they are not built anymore, but there are a lot of them used.

Charger
06-10-2015, 21:55
Logitech Momo Racing.

I use my 3rd wheel now, used them for around 12 years now.

Unfortunately they are not built anymore, but there are a lot of them used.

The Momo is a corker of a wheel I had one for years and sold it on still working, it only died last year so that must be over 10 years of driving, I can get my mate to give you a full review of the 458 if you want but it's not going to be pretty.

Johngrim
06-10-2015, 22:14
Balderz002 welcome to the wheel world. It's a great wheel and I prefer the pedals to the tx pedals. They won't break. When you press the brake or gas when your full throttle or full brake pressing it harder won't make the car go faster or brake harder lol. Iv since upgraded to the tx wheel but still have a soft spot for my first wheel.

Mr.Smoke
06-10-2015, 23:08
It's a great wheel and I prefer the pedals to the tx pedals. They won't break.

This part is a joke right? Surely you cant be serious....

Reiche
06-10-2015, 23:21
I’d recommend a used G25 or G27. I found an used G25 a few months ago on „eBay“ (not the actual eBay, but "eBay Kleinanzeigen".. Something like an online flea market(?)) for 130€ and I feel totally fine with it. I added the GTeye mod a few weeks later, what improved the pedals’ feel for little money and I’m happy now. Can’t tell you much about the durabilty and quality compared to other wheels, as it’s my first and only one so far.

Charger
07-10-2015, 00:24
This is the sort of thing that happens with them, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtCHkMaBN1I

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
07-10-2015, 00:52
Primarily with the early ones, but warranty takes care of that, and the wheelbase itself is so much better that I'd be happy to go through the trouble of swapping them until I get a solid one (which these days is easier than back then) rather than get a Logitech.

Charger
07-10-2015, 01:55
Says the man that uses a G25 shifter lol, I can only speak from my experience with Logitech wheels, I've only had 2 over the past 12 years Momo and the G25 and they have been rock solid, never had an issue with either, if you read the forums and compare the failure rate on Thrustmaster compared to Logitech then Logitech wins, although mostly comparing DFGT, Momo, G25 and G27 against the newer T300/500 wheels from what I have seen, I have no idea how the new Logitech wheels will hold up against the newer TM wheels only time will tell.

I suppose if you are looking at Logitech the older ones may be the better ones but they are all discontinued now, lets see how many failures come on the new Logi wheels in the future, it may be TM are better now and the quality may improve over time.

It's just the price of the t500 RS is near 500 including the shifter which is crazy money, I paid 115 8 years ago for the G25 and it includes pedals and shifter, I know the t500 is a superior wheel but is it 300 more superior?

Guille
07-10-2015, 01:59
I like the G27 (is stored), but use the SRW-1 all the time

07-10-2015, 04:02
Says the man that uses a G25 shifter lol, I can only speak from my experience with Logitech wheels, I've only had 2 over the past 12 years Momo and the G25 and they have been rock solid, never had an issue with either, if you read the forums and compare the failure rate on Thrustmaster compared to Logitech then Logitech wins, although mostly comparing DFGT, Momo, G25 and G27 against the newer T300/500 wheels from what I have seen, I have no idea how the new Logitech wheels will hold up against the newer TM wheels only time will tell.

I suppose if you are looking at Logitech the older ones may be the better ones but they are all discontinued now, lets see how many failures come on the new Logi wheels in the future, it may be TM are better now and the quality may improve over time.

It's just the price of the t500 RS is near 500 including the shifter which is crazy money, I paid 115 8 years ago for the G25 and it includes pedals and shifter, I know the t500 is a superior wheel but is it 300 more superior?Heh, our timelines match up really well, I also got my Momo around 12-13 years ago I think (was using Thrustmasters up until then), until I switched to a G25. First two of those broke within days/weeks inside warranty, third one has lasted so far though. Also know quite a few people who have G27s with broken optical encoder discs (which is a pretty common occurrence). Logitech is by no means foolproof. =)

The G25 shifter is in use mainly out of necessity, there simply isn't a reasonably priced replacement available. I've been hankering after the Thrustmaster one for years, but I have no method of mounting it anywhere (it's too tall and long throw to work when mounted to the same desk my wheel is mounted on, needs to be lower down), so until I figure that one out I'm stuck. Fanatec I will not buy because particularly with the CS Shifter they've shown themselves to be highly anti-consumer in almost every way, plus everyone I know with Fanatec gear has had insane amount of problems with them. I refuse to support that company personally, though I do recognize their stuff can be really good (when it works). And outside of those, there really aren't too many options out there, not without paying silly prices. The G25 shifter may not feel particularly great, but it does the job for now, and it beats the living shit out of the G27 shifter by having a sequential mode (<3) and especially the G29 shifter by having a sequential mode and buttons. =)

And whether it's worth it will depend on the person. For me? I could never ever go back to a G25 based wheel, they're just too small, too weak, too much like toys by comparison. A couple of days with my T500 (which I bought second hand, with warranty still left) made me never want to touch a G25 or G27 again really. I've actually spent three summers not sim racing because I've only had access to a G27 during that time (working in another city). I tried, but it felt iffy enough to go back that I rather just didn't play until I got back to my own rig. And I fully expect that when I eventually get an Accuforce or comparable wheel I'll feel the same way about the T500.

For others? Probably not, and many people prefer the G25 base exactly because it's smaller and weaker (worth noting that I don't set the wheel to always crank max power either, I set it to be as linear as possible with plenty of headroom, something which the G25 base can't really do without becoming "fingertip steering" light).

Charger
07-10-2015, 06:21
I agree on a lot of points and price comes into it, I suppose they all do well in their price range, I actually looked at Accuforce earlier and I think if I am going to drop 500 on a belt drive I may as well go full monty and drop a grand on a direct drive!

I just know my G25 will fail eventually so need to make a choice, I agree about the shifter as well, mine is the same height as my wheel and the short stick helps a lot, I also found a nice rubber band mod for the sequential earlier which I will be doing later as I really hate shifting with the paddles and the sequential tends to miss a gear sometimes as you have to click back to centre, the bands re centre it.

I agree the T500 has superior feedback but to be honest I have mine set 100% and it gives immense feedback and after testing it have found it is very linear, I think I have a good one because my mates is no where near as good as mine and his is half the age, I can't get anywhere near the force on his I can get on mine, as we discussed before.

You know what really chaps my ass about the T500 is the console buttons, I hate consoles with a passion and putting those symbols on there make it look like a toy like the old PS2 wheels and the Gran Turismo labelling is just ugggh!, why can't it be plain black? and is it a rubber wheel not leather? I love the leather feel on the G25 and it has worn very well, although I did like the thick rubber Momo wheel.

I think my hate of Thrustmaster goes back before the Momo, they used to make toy wheels and now they seem to be making higher end stuff but my brain is not convinced as they used to make awful wheels, also the belt drive bothers me, what is the lifespan of the belt? I also read the belt numbs the feeling a bit, I suppose some will prefer that to the slight rattle you get with gear wheels though, I actually quite like the rattle.

On another note the G27 has heli gears and the G25 straight cuts gears, apparently this gives the G27 more contact area but why does it increase the deadzone to circa 0.15 when the G25 is 0.05, the G25 seems a lot tighter.

Maybe it is just the way it is, Logitech is going down and Thrustmaster are on the up but they really need to sort out the quality problems.

How do you manage to connect up the G25 shifter to use with the T500 with the fangled connector the shifter has?

balderz002
07-10-2015, 06:37
Thanks for the replies and opinions guys.

A few points to note.
1. I have been trying to get a wheel since I started playing Forza 3, in 2009 - Its taken a while to convince the missus.
2. I am on a budget. I couldnt push past a ton.
3. I would rather have a new wheel, with the benefit of a warrenty, than a second hand one without.
4. This will be my first wheel, so I have nothing to compare it to.
5. I am not a hamfisted 15 year old with anger management issues, and it will only get about 5 hours use a week.

So all in all, I am still looking forward to using it when it turns up.

If I was going to drop 500 on anything, it would be on my V40 Turbo track car!

Charger
07-10-2015, 06:45
Thanks for the replies and opinions guys.

A few points to note.
1. I have been trying to get a wheel since I started playing Forza 3, in 2009 - Its taken a while to convince the missus.
2. I am on a budget. I couldnt push past a ton.
3. I would rather have a new wheel, with the benefit of a warrenty, than a second hand one without.
4. This will be my first wheel, so I have nothing to compare it to.
5. I am not a hamfisted 15 year old with anger management issues, and it will only get about 5 hours use a week.

So all in all, I am still looking forward to using it when it turns up.

If I was going to drop 500 on anything, it would be on my V40 Turbo track car!

All fair points, you will enjoy it but you'll probably want more, it's like a drug lol.

Johngrim
07-10-2015, 07:28
Yes I'm serious the title says wheels on a budget that usually discounts ffb wheels so I was judging it as a none ffb wheel. The tx pedals have a massive brake dead zone my 458 spider wheel did not so the pedals are a lot better for laptimes. Also for the casual user it's a plug in and play wheel works perfectly without any setting up.

Charger
07-10-2015, 07:41
Yes I'm serious the title says wheels on a budget that usually discounts ffb wheels so I was judging it as a none ffb wheel. The tx pedals have a massive brake dead zone my 458 spider wheel did not so the pedals are a lot better for laptimes. Also for the casual user it's a plug in and play wheel works perfectly without any setting up.

No PC wheel works perfectly without setting it up, especially in Project Cars!

Johngrim
07-10-2015, 08:09
Point taken I'm xbox. It just annoyed me when someone says they have just bought something then people start to say it's rubbish lol.

balderz002
07-10-2015, 08:16
Point taken I'm xbox. It just annoyed me when someone says they have just bought something then people start to say it's rubbish lol.

It doesnt bother me too much, would be funny to be faster with a sub 100 wheel with no FFB, than someone using a top end all singing/dancing mega rig, wheel with ffb, shifter, mega screen and 5.1!

We all live within our means (well most of us do), and this is mine!

Charger
07-10-2015, 08:25
To be honest a 100 wheel can be as fast as a 1000 wheel it's down to the driver, it's the immersion people are going for with higher end stuff, I like to get it as close to real racing as possible, some people spend 20k on rigs for the full immersion so where do you draw the line lol.

There are faster people on controllers than some wheel players so the price is irrelevant really, as you say it's what your budget is, I don't want to spend a grand on a wheel as I'm skint but I would be gutted losing money on something that breaks regardless of cost.

As you bought yours from Amazon at least you have that cushion knowing it's backed up by a warranty and Amazon are very good with returns if needed, you may like it you may thinks it's poop but you have 30 days to return it either way, you could always try something different then until you find what you are looking for.

Johngrim
07-10-2015, 09:37
Once accustomed to a wheel or controller your laptimes become the same it's if you jump from one to other you think omg this is bad but lap times and enjoyment soon return with a bit of time

pollinho123
07-10-2015, 10:17
It's not just changing to a wheel.
It's changing the way you steer the car, it's changing to pedals instead of two little buttons on a controller, for me it meant changing from auto to manual.

There are a lot of things to get accustomed to and even after a good 70hrs of driving with the wheel (150 before that with the gamepad) I still struggle from time to time. However even though my laptimes are not much better atm I actually keep improving with every hour I drive and it's just a lot more fun than playing with the gamepad, so I don't regret changing to the wheel at all.

Johngrim
07-10-2015, 10:25
If laptimes came easy it would be no fun. Improving slowly is very rewarding!

balderz002
07-10-2015, 10:38
Hopefully I will be a bit better than driving miss daisy in the beginning!

07-10-2015, 11:47
I agree on a lot of points and price comes into it, I suppose they all do well in their price range, I actually looked at Accuforce earlier and I think if I am going to drop 500 on a belt drive I may as well go full monty and drop a grand on a direct drive!

I just know my G25 will fail eventually so need to make a choice, I agree about the shifter as well, mine is the same height as my wheel and the short stick helps a lot, I also found a nice rubber band mod for the sequential earlier which I will be doing later as I really hate shifting with the paddles and the sequential tends to miss a gear sometimes as you have to click back to centre, the bands re centre it.

I agree the T500 has superior feedback but to be honest I have mine set 100% and it gives immense feedback and after testing it have found it is very linear, I think I have a good one because my mates is no where near as good as mine and his is half the age, I can't get anywhere near the force on his I can get on mine, as we discussed before.

You know what really chaps my ass about the T500 is the console buttons, I hate consoles with a passion and putting those symbols on there make it look like a toy like the old PS2 wheels and the Gran Turismo labelling is just ugggh!, why can't it be plain black? and is it a rubber wheel not leather? I love the leather feel on the G25 and it has worn very well, although I did like the thick rubber Momo wheel.

I think my hate of Thrustmaster goes back before the Momo, they used to make toy wheels and now they seem to be making higher end stuff but my brain is not convinced as they used to make awful wheels, also the belt drive bothers me, what is the lifespan of the belt? I also read the belt numbs the feeling a bit, I suppose some will prefer that to the slight rattle you get with gear wheels though, I actually quite like the rattle.

On another note the G27 has heli gears and the G25 straight cuts gears, apparently this gives the G27 more contact area but why does it increase the deadzone to circa 0.15 when the G25 is 0.05, the G25 seems a lot tighter.

Maybe it is just the way it is, Logitech is going down and Thrustmaster are on the up but they really need to sort out the quality problems.

How do you manage to connect up the G25 shifter to use with the T500 with the fangled connector the shifter has?Ah yes, that reminds me I need to send you the testing program, as we talked about (I think)...

Personally the button labels don't bother me, and you can quickly get rid of them by sanding them a little bit, and the big metal wheel overall feels much nicer than the G25/G27 rim to me. It is indeed rubber instead of leather, but it is a very sturdy kind of rubber that to me at least feels fantastic. I don't quite prefer it to leather, but it is by far the best rubber rim I've had the pleasure to use. And sturdy as all get out. =)

Thrustmaster is the company the essentially created the PC sim wheel market back in the early 90s. Before them we essentially had nothing, and it took a helluva long time until anyone else came up with something that could beat Thrustmaster's offerings. Towards the late 90s though admittedly there was a jump in the quality of the competition, and they started being left behind, and the early 2000s saw another sharp jump in seriousness from the wheel manufacturers. My liking of Thrustmaster comes from the early days when they were the only company to make a product worth buying. I did jump ship to Logitech when it was clear they were the top dog, but then Thrustmaster came back full force again. =)

I've not heard of belt failures so far for the T500, or for Fanatecs either, I don't think that'll really be a problem, and Thrustmaster has always been super good at providing replacement parts. I wouldn't really say the belt numbs the feeling as such, it just smooths out the rattles compared to gears, so the wheel movement feels less cogged and more natural. The T300 is even significantly smoother than the T500. The FFB motor is more than capable of providing any rattles you're supposed to be feeling, and I'd rather not have any extraneous ones from the construction of the wheel.

Most G25's I've tried have been looser around the center than the G27's I've tried, as well as being more rattly (lack of constant connection between gears) and noisy. Yours must be an exceptional specimen.

As for connecting the shifter, I thank Logitech for the foresight of putting in long ass cables. I have the G25 sitting hidden in a corner, with the shifter connected to it, but no power or pedals. Then I just connect the G25's USB cable to the PC and screw on the shifter. Pretty ghetto I know but it functions perfectly well. =) There's always the option of buying a Logitech shifter USB interface from Leo Bodnar for 20 (http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97&products_id=188), but with my room layout I prefer saving the money for now. There's also one for the pedals, so one thing I've been suggesting for people who own a G27 but would want to upgrade to a better wheelbase without spending quite that much is buying a T300 RS and repurposing the G25 pedals (for the clutch) and shifter. =)

EDIT: And as per normal I must say that I still think the G25/27 is a worthy wheel that has many good points, it's just nowhere near as enjoyable to use as the heftier Thrustmaster offerings are to me.

cunningham85
09-10-2015, 13:21
I use a T100 budget FFB wheel

poirqc
09-10-2015, 15:25
While it's not the best, i bought a G27 for 230$ CAD, Taxes and S&H included. It's

Around that price it's a complete package(wheel, shifter and clutch) that will last you for a while.