PDA

View Full Version : Steering Lock

Plato99
12-09-2015, 17:51
is there any way to adjust the amount of steering travel?
The Formula B is almost impossible to get around the Monaco hairpin, even at a crawl. The entry, clip, and exit point has to be bang on every time or I clip the Armco on the exit!

Mahjik
12-09-2015, 17:55
is there any way to adjust the amount of steering travel?
The Formula B is almost impossible to get around the Monaco hairpin, even at a crawl. The entry, clip, and exit point has to be bang on every time or I clip the Armco on the exit!

"Steering Lock" is a physical thing (i.e. what the car's geometry uses) so that is not adjustable. You can alter/increase the "Steering Ratio" in the car's setup option to assist with tracks that have hairpin corners.

Plato99
12-09-2015, 18:19
Thank you. I tried that, but it just made the car a bit squirrelly and still felt like I was dragging the Bismarck around Monaco! ;)

Mahjik
12-09-2015, 18:48
Thank you. I tried that, but it just made the car a bit squirrelly and still felt like I was dragging the Bismarck around Monaco! ;)

That's exactly what steering ratio does. You have to find a balance for the track of how much you can increase the steering ratio but still drive around the track without the car getting out of control.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-09-2015, 20:00
The car the Formula B was based on never raced at Monaco, so getting around that hairpin was not a requirement for the car. It simply doesn't have enough steering lock available to make it around that corner completely smoothly. You CAN drive it through there without touching walls, but the car would rather you don't. =)

Plato99
12-09-2015, 20:04
Probably not a good idea to make it a career event then ;)

inthebagbud
12-09-2015, 20:17
Can't find the original post but I follow this rule of thumb for altering steering ratio

Come to a complete stop and bring up the telemetry HUD, look at the top where you see this: IIIIIIII^IIIIIIII. Rotate your wheel to the left until the arrow stops at the left side and note how many
degrees you have turned the wheel. The Formula A will stop just a bit shy of 270 degrees. So we multiply that by 2 (full left and right) and we see that is has a default DOR of 540. Now go the the tuning menu and look at the default steering ratio, it is 10.9:1- Which means for every 10.9 degrees we turn the steering wheel the tires will move 1 degree and we also now know that the tires stop turning when the steering wheel rotates 270 degrees each way left and right, 540 in total -

So by dividing 540/10.9 we get 49.54 degrees and now we know what that what the tires are doing in degrees (24.77 degrees each way left and right, this value will never change in game). So we can reverse the math-
If I want a 440 DOR then 440/49.54= 8.8 (8.9:1 steering ratio)
If I want a 360 DOR then 360/49.54= 7.3 (7.3:1 steering ratio)
If I want a 270 DOR then 270/49.54= 5.4 (5.4:1 steering ratio)

Neil Bateman
12-09-2015, 20:21
Thats something i never considered before, i thought jump in any car on any track, but you soon find out some cars are just not suited to race on certain tracks.

Pick any car and any track, drive round and think well that was dissapointing, but try the same car on a different track and its a new ball game, just have to find that perfect combo, like the lotus 49 on the old historic spa circuit that was in the early builds.