PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Wheel - Thoughts?

Haiden
12-09-2015, 18:18
I mostly race open wheel, and would really like an F1 style rim for my T300. Thrustmaster only offers one, so if you either own or have tried one, I have a few questions.

Does the plastic make it feel toy like?
Does the plastic dampen/muddle the feel of the FFB?
It's been out for a while. Do you know if Thrustmaster has any plans to release a new model?

Thanks!

k.merse
12-09-2015, 19:01
I have it and I love it, definitely wroth buying it. Especially because with all the buttons and switches it is much easier to handle a complex vehicles like modern F1 cars.

1) Nope. Although it is a bit disappointing that it wasn't polished to look like carbon fiber, it still looks good. The only disappointing part is how the dials in the middle of the wheel are done - it could have been much better and I'm thinking of removing all the cheap stickers.
2) No it doesn't. The wheel, although has a different shape uses essentially the same method and the same materials as the stock T300 RS wheel. There is no dampening, in fact I found the FFB feeling better, because while a traditional rim can slightly slip in your hands, the F1 handles are shaped for the hands and there is no room for slipping.
3) As far as I know they don't, although there were some rumors about a 2015 edition, but it wouldn't be much different from the current wheel IMO. And it was never confirmed.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-09-2015, 21:56
1. Not really. Mine at least feels like a sturdy piece. I really like the buttons and rotary controls it has, but the seesaw paddle is pretty poor, on mine at least.
2. Not at all, in fact the forces are a bit sharper and stronger with it, because it's lighter than the normal rim.
3. No idea.

My main complaint? It's supposed to be a replica of the Ferrari F1 rim from back then, but it's actually MUCH bigger than the real rim. It's the same width as the original T500 RS GT rim at 30 cm. =)

Haiden
13-09-2015, 00:51
1. Not really. Mine at least feels like a sturdy piece. I really like the buttons and rotary controls it has, but the seesaw paddle is pretty poor, on mine at least.
2. Not at all, in fact the forces are a bit sharper and stronger with it, because it's lighter than the normal rim.
3. No idea.

My main complaint? It's supposed to be a replica of the Ferrari F1 rim from back then, but it's actually MUCH bigger than the real rim. It's the same width as the original T500 RS GT rim at 30 cm. =)

Can you elaborate on the seesaw paddle. Do you mean the two-way seesaw action is poor, or the paddles in general are poorly made?

It looks like it's the same size. You think it's bigger?

13-09-2015, 02:01
I saw a side by side comparison somewhere, and in that it was easily an inch wider. That was supposed to be a joke btw. =)

About the seesaw, the paddle itself is fine, it's just hunk of metal, but the activation is pretty mushy compared to the very nice feeling and feedback of the static paddles.

k.merse
13-09-2015, 05:56
My only complaints was that for me it wasn't clear that the paddle was in fact ONE piece of metal. So you don't get two paddles with two functions, only one, which runs across the wheel.
Still the rotary switches are cool (although I'm sure they will be the firsts to wear out on my whole set), you have so many buttons you literally won't find functions you couldn't control from the wheel, FFB feels much better and the feeling that you're holding an F1 wheel is priceless!

Note: I was confused at first because I thought that the switchers on the bottom (BO, Start and Wet) are three-way switches. But they are in fact one "button" each, with the middle position is the default "OFF" and either you pull them down or push them up, they can control only one function. And they jump back into middle position. After some research I found out that this was a compromise, as the original Ferrari wheel's switches had only two positions, and they remained in "ON" position until they were switched them off. They however controlled preset engine programs for different situations and as this is not represented in any game yet, Thrustmaster made these switches useful for players too.
I for example use them for launch control, TC override and/or one-word communication.

yusupov
13-09-2015, 06:15
its funny, i am trying to decide on a rim to get for the TX, since i dont like the paddle placement of the default rim (too far back, have to reach for them). ive heard from a couple people that the F1 rim gives better ffb bc of its weight (though the 458 rim is so cheap/light i dont know that thats a factor) while thrustmaster advertises their other rims as giving superior FFB bc theyre heavier & therefore have superior inertia or something...bleh

13-09-2015, 09:29
while thrustmaster advertises their other rims as giving superior FFB bc theyre heavier & therefore have superior inertia or something...blehHeh, yeah. Thrustmaster back then tried to convince people that the inertia coming from a heavier rim somehow made the FFB more realistic, even though it's the complete frigging opposite. They've since changed their stance on the subject, but haven't changed the old descriptions. =)

Haiden
13-09-2015, 14:07
Thanks, a lot, guys. This really helps.

I was wondering how the switches worked--was thinking the up and down positions might have worked as two buttons. One's not bad, though, given how many other buttons are on the wheel.

I had also heard it said that the heavier, metal wheels produced better feedback, and that was one of my main hesitations with getting this rim. Looks like I'm gonna be placing an order. :)

13-09-2015, 19:31
I had also heard it said that the heavier, metal wheels produced better feedback, and that was one of my main hesitations with getting this rim.What heavier rims do is provide natural damping. Some people really like that sort of stuff, but it comes down to this: Rims on PC controllers, up to and including the CSW V2, are so heavy that they interfere with the FFB motors. If you do the same force-time tests on two rims of different mass, you get two different measured responses from the wheel. In a real car the weight of the wheel rim makes absolutely no difference to the reactions of the steering, assuming you don't purposefully build a frigging 200 kg wheel rim. For optimal FFB the weight of the rim should interfere as little as possible with the FFB motor, that way the developers and the user can freely set up the FFB to be like it should be/they like it. If the rim is slowing down the FFB, it imposes major limitations to what sort of feedback it can reproduce.

Bad_Dan
13-09-2015, 19:37
Bought my T500 with the Rim in Set, so I canīt compare to other rims, but it feels fantastic.

So Iīm sure you wonīt regret your order.

Haiden
14-09-2015, 13:20
What heavier rims do is provide natural damping. Some people really like that sort of stuff, but it comes down to this: Rims on PC controllers, up to and including the CSW V2, are so heavy that they interfere with the FFB motors. If you do the same force-time tests on two rims of different mass, you get two different measured responses from the wheel. In a real car the weight of the wheel rim makes absolutely no difference to the reactions of the steering, assuming you don't purposefully build a frigging 200 kg wheel rim. For optimal FFB the weight of the rim should interfere as little as possible with the FFB motor, that way the developers and the user can freely set up the FFB to be like it should be/they like it. If the rim is slowing down the FFB, it imposes major limitations to what sort of feedback it can reproduce.

Good to know. Thanks!