PDA

View Full Version : Snetterton ffb

Jbpd
13-09-2015, 11:33
Does anyone else have to turn their ffb down for snetterton? I'm finding I have to in order to keep control of the car under braking into the last corner and through the left hander at the end of the back straight.

Is it just ffb strength under braking that I can't hold onto or is there a trick to braking and late downshifts I'm lacking?

Vennt
13-09-2015, 11:58
Contrary to popular opinion late braking is not a good option for fast laptimes unless you're already at a pretty high skill level, it slows your laptimes down, rather than making you faster.

Your corner exit speed is much much more important to fast laptimes than corner entry speed, and it's easier to hit your apex and maximise your corner exit speed when you worry less about braking as late as possible.

Gaining a tenth on corner entry is not worth the resultant loss of five or six tenths or more (even seconds) down the straight following the corner unless you can late brake and hit your apex bang on each time and maximise corner exit speed.

(Source: Ross Bentleys "Speed Secrets" and Skip Barbers "Going Faster")

aerchak
13-09-2015, 18:56
Late braking on Snetterton's final turn is a recipe for disaster.

Seelenkrank
13-09-2015, 19:06

well there are 3 corners where you can destroy your race.
but i like the track :) the snetterton 300 not so much but the 200 variant is very good in a BMW 1M

Jbpd
13-09-2015, 19:24
yeah if i'm don't quite get the line right so i'm braking in a straight line into the last corner i go off to the right under braking!

SUBGTRACER
13-09-2015, 21:55
Awsome track , I find you need to back of throttle half way through the second last sweeping corner then the breaking is much easier .

FStarred
14-09-2015, 07:46

Agree. There's a consistent possibility rate that while starting breaking your car oversteer to the opposite angle

PTG Baby Cow
14-09-2015, 13:27
Does anyone else have to turn their ffb down for snetterton? I'm finding I have to in order to keep control of the car under braking into the last corner and through the left hander at the end of the back straight.

Is it just ffb strength under braking that I can't hold onto or is there a trick to braking and late downshifts I'm lacking?

I think all you are doing by turning down the ffb for this one particular car is masking a poor technique for that corner. I would keep the ffb where it is and try different lines and different braking points into the corner. If it is the corner i think it is (Corran to murrays) try taking corran so that you end up on the inside on corner exit near the grass and the curb, this should put you in a practically straight line going into murrays. You should have very little issue braking hard going into murrays if you are in a straight line. Also, i believe this is one of the lasar scanned tracks and if i recall correctly this section is quite bumpy. Slow down earlier than you think you need to. Brake straight, power out!

SUBGTRACER
14-09-2015, 21:14
Keep of the kerbs there a killer if you have a decent amount of FFB.

Schnizz58
14-09-2015, 21:16
Keep off the kerbs they're a killer if you have a decent amount of FFB.

Particularly the ones on the outside of Nelson & Murrays.

aerchak
15-09-2015, 00:56
You almost have to lift before you're finished with the sweeping right-hander. Start braking before you're straight on toward the final turn. There's a tendency to end up facing directly the opposite direction you want otherwise.

Schnizz58
15-09-2015, 05:03
What I do is try to run wide in the middle of the sweeper. Then you can go almost straight into the last corner, staying as far right as you can. If you try to brake at the end of the right-hander, you have to be really careful not to spin. So I try to get it straightened up before I brake unless the car is really stable under trail braking. If you carry a good line, you don't have to brake all that much but beware the bump or dip at the apex that can upset the car.

Pappa_Stig
15-09-2015, 05:51
I'm of the exact same opinion as above, and I'll add the kerb on the outside is also deadly if you run too wide on exit too.

PTG Baby Cow
15-09-2015, 13:25
What I do is try to run wide in the middle of the sweeper. Then you can go almost straight into the last corner, staying as far right as you can. If you try to brake at the end of the right-hander, you have to be really careful not to spin. So I try to get it straightened up before I brake unless the car is really stable under trail braking. If you carry a good line, you don't have to brake all that much but beware the bump or dip at the apex that can upset the car.

How do you get a like for this comment from just reiterating what I said, yet I didn't get a like! hahahah

Schnizz58
15-09-2015, 14:22
How do you get a like for this comment from just reiterating what I said, yet I didn't get a like! hahahah
Valid point. I gave you a like. :)

PTG Baby Cow
15-09-2015, 14:58
Im just teasing but I appreciate it. Returned the favor!