PDA

View Full Version : Starts - getting off the grid

AB_Attack
14-09-2015, 08:39
What is the best method for starts with GT3 with realistic aids on, meaning TC on?

It seems like simply flooring it and that's it. Any better way? I'm thinking it might still be better to modulate throttle but every time I try that I get off really badly and get passed by a bunch of cars at the start.

FA starts are a lot easier for me I find. I rarely get passed at the start using those cars. I think because there are a whole bunch of others spinning the wheels too much or that they simply don't get optimal take-off since that is pretty much what would be required to pass someone with a decent take-off (which I tend to get with those cars).

DJBLITZKRIEG
14-09-2015, 13:10
I don't like it either. usually when its time to start you are in the middle of a turn with the wheel locked forwards. Makes it difficult to get away without spinning out. I wish they let us be in control during a rolling start. I guess too many kids would continuously jump the start.

AB_Attack
14-09-2015, 18:15
Ok, I meant for the standing starts.

Yuyuko
14-09-2015, 18:37
It helps if you have a clutch button or axis mapped, just shift into first with the clutch floored before the start. Let it go just before the lights go out, and allow TC to do its thing, it's kinda like launch control when used in this manner.

DECATUR PLAYA
14-09-2015, 20:45
What is the best method for starts with GT3 with realistic aids on, meaning TC on?

It seems like simply flooring it and that's it. Any better way? I'm thinking it might still be better to modulate throttle but every time I try that I get off really badly and get passed by a bunch of cars at the start.

FA starts are a lot easier for me I find. I rarely get passed at the start using those cars. I think because there are a whole bunch of others spinning the wheels too much or that they simply don't get optimal take-off since that is pretty much what would be required to pass someone with a decent take-off (which I tend to get with those cars).

I'm not a expert but this is the method I use with TC and automatic transmission. I used to get starts like what your talking about but not anymore.

You have to time the green light so that you are raising the motor just as the green light releases your car. If you have the motor raised before the lights go green the TC will kick in to stop the wheel spin giving you a slower more lazy start. If you hit the throttle to late then you will just get a bad jump out of the box but it's still better than having the motor raised before the lights go green. Also something I learned if you sit in the box raising the motor you burn fuel it's not much but if you just have enough to finish it could be the difference.

The manual guys starts are amazing but they pay a big penalty when they get it wrong by jumping the gun.

mantukas334
14-09-2015, 20:54
for me its the handbrake. well im not sure its wierd. i have tried to set clutch but it was terrible, so i set handbrake and with it car jumps for few meters. not with all cars, but it works kinda like clutch i dont get it actually

sttp01
15-09-2015, 04:07
i have actually tested standing starts on a number of different gt3 cars with aids both on and off. Here is what I have found. Keep in mind I'm on a controller not a wheel so no pedals. If you have automatic clutch enabled then the drop clutch it will slowly disengaging the clutch at a rate that minimize wheel spin at full throttle. Although u don't have wheel spin we all know it is slower. The sls and g55 have the worst starts in this manner. If you disable automatic clutch and turn your clutch sensativity to max 100 it will drop the clutch like u would expect giving you more punch off the line. Best to find out what rpm gives your engine the max torque through the telemetry on each car. Here is the catch of you have auto clutch off with H pattern cars will not shift until you press the clutch and most likely spin out because your dumping the clutch when shifting to second.

Paddle shift cars don't suffer from this since they don't use a foot clutch to shift through gears however if you spin or crash you will stall your car so get good at holding clutch button in sticky situations so u don't stall. I have programmed a button to turn automatic clutch on and off. Turn it off at the start of the race then u can flip it on after you are safe through the first corner. The auto clutch really ruins the start of the race and I wish SMS would disable it for the start of the race for everyone to give everyone a fair shake at the hole shot. M3 seems to blast of the line the best. TC and Stability off only seemed to add to the wheel spin making you have to control the throttle a little more but didn't add to any advantage in leaving with auto clutch on. Hope this helps and if I'm wrong on any part feel free to correct me.

Mr.Smoke
15-09-2015, 10:53
I place the car in 1st gear & hold the throttle down while using X for handbrake/clutch. Then its just a matter of timing the release of the X button right as the light goes green.

Mr Akina
15-09-2015, 11:45
I wish they let us be in control during a rolling start. I guess too many kids would continuously jump the start.

Like the AI does? haha

AB_Attack
15-09-2015, 13:25
It helps if you have a clutch button or axis mapped, just shift into first with the clutch floored before the start. Let it go just before the lights go out, and allow TC to do its thing, it's kinda like launch control when used in this manner.
I use autoclutch for paddle shifting cars as well as for sequential shifting. I though everybody did. Only when I decide to run H-shifter (for immersion driving old cars) I use clutch. So I guess that's not possible then or I would also have to use clutch for every paddleshift in the race?

So I guess it's simply tricky to get good starts with TC cars and autoclutch. Can't modulate clutch, and the TC cut power unless perfectly done or maxrevving as a way to overwhealm/override TC. :/

I place the car in 1st gear & hold the throttle down while using X for handbrake/clutch. Then its just a matter of timing the release of the X button right as the light goes green.
I believe this is what the fast starters do most of the time. I can see the grinding wheels. Sometimes on top of it also exploiting the small window of no penalty jump starts :/ I don't understand why they cheat that way, it's not like fame or fortune is won and they often cause pileups and bad gameplay expericence for others as they come shooting from behind.

Bealdor
15-09-2015, 13:34
I use autoclutch for paddle shifting cars as well as for sequential shifting. I though everybody did. Only when I decide to run H-shifter (for immersion driving old cars) I use clutch. So I guess that's not possible then or I would also have to use clutch for every paddleshift in the race?

You can leave the clutch setting at "manual". You won't need to use it in paddle shifter cars with autoblip function (GT3 for example), just at the start.
This way you can drive all the cars like they were designed IRL. Just remember that there's no anti stall function that prevents you from killing the engine.