PDA

View Full Version : When will exposure problems in cockpit camera be fixed?

fresquito
14-09-2015, 10:42
It's been years (yes, years) of reporting exposure problems. Before release something was done, but not enough. 5 months in and we're still having these exposure problems that make midday look dull in clear conditions and night-like in cloud, fog or rain. Then we have the virtual mirror being really dark, which renders it rather useless when bad weather conditions arise (I will not talk about lights not being shown properly in mirrors, that's a whole different story, but one I'd like to be addressed as well).

Will we have a proper fix any time soon, please?

TrevorAustin
14-09-2015, 14:00
It would be nice. I'm pretty much restricted to open wheelers in the DK2 for any sort of relevant lighting experience. Such a shame when the fix is so damned easy, or at least the concept is unless the code is horribly over complicated.

Flaw3dGenius
14-09-2015, 15:51
It's been years (yes, years) of reporting exposure problems. Before release something was done, but not enough. 5 months in and we're still having these exposure problems that make midday look dull in clear conditions and night-like in cloud, fog or rain. Then we have the virtual mirror being really dark, which renders it rather useless when bad weather conditions arise (I will not talk about lights not being shown properly in mirrors, that's a whole different story, but one I'd like to be addressed as well).

If you guys have been reporting it for years it's safe to say SMS have no intentions of fixing it. Most likely cannot be fixed.

ONT
14-09-2015, 16:31
If you guys have been reporting it for years it's safe to say SMS have no intentions of fixing it. Most likely cannot be fixed.

Very possible, would be nice with a statement from a blue man :)

If it's a artistic or game engine problem ?

Mahjik
14-09-2015, 18:20
I'm not a guy in blue, but I believe this is an issue since the view is designed like a camera. i.e. it uses spot metering which means it darkens the interior to compensate for the bright outside (similar to a GoPro). This also fluctuates with FOV and seat position as the large landscape resolutions (triple monitors and the larger widescreen LCD's) tend to show this more. Likely the issue is making it too bright that is washes out the outside in certain setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHCKIbCxwk

However, I'm not a guy in blue and have never seen SMS's code so this is just my theory based on how I've seen the views working.

artao
15-09-2015, 02:40

Ah, okay. I was in a race yesterday that transitioned from day to night, with foggy weather, and was wondering why my virtual rear-view mirror was so dark, while I could still see perfectly fine thru my windscreen, even with my headlights off.
I sure do hope they fix this.

TrevorAustin
15-09-2015, 08:43
Keep saying it, All that is needed is in game exposure adjustment, like in AC, and the option to limit or turn off autoexposure, again like in AC.

fresquito
15-09-2015, 08:46
If that was the cassee, then telling us to stop reporting this issue would be nice.

konnos
15-09-2015, 09:04
HDR would fix your mentioned spot metering immediately. If that is actually the problem.

NemethR
15-09-2015, 09:59
HDR?! No please no!

NemethR
15-09-2015, 10:01
The thing I have been noticing is:

People say, (Team Speak), that I do not have my light turned on, and I say, yes, because its completly bright...
And they see it as dark. For example we did a 24h simulation at SPA, and people had darnkess 10 laps before I started to see the track darkening, and about 15 laps before it was dark for me.

Mahjik
15-09-2015, 13:12
People say, (Team Speak), that I do not have my light turned on, and I say, yes, because its completly bright...
And they see it as dark. For example we did a 24h simulation at SPA, and people had darnkess 10 laps before I started to see the track darkening, and about 15 laps before it was dark for me.

This is one of the reasons most leagues don't typically do night races. You can calibrate your monitor and/or display settings so the night is visible without headlights. I'm not suggesting you intentionally did this, but I'm just saying it's possible and people have done it in the past.

Fanapryde
15-09-2015, 14:17
It is a bit weird that when driving cockpit view the track is sometimes so dark you can barely see it, while (just to check) switching to roof cam, you find yourself in perfectly clear daylight.

artao
15-09-2015, 20:14
HDR?! No please no!
I'm just curious why you're against HDR? :confused:
HDR = High Dynamic Range. That allows for a deeper internal calculation range of dark to light, improving contrast and lighting quality in general.
HDR is actually quite important in modern CGI for that very reason. Sure, unless you buy a seriously expensive monitor, you can't actually display a full HDR image depth (HDR being 16 to 32 bits per pixel of color depth, while monitors only display 8 bits per pixel) .. But it's the calculations behind what you end up seeing on screen that result in greater fidelity of changes in lighting.
Just curious is all. :cool:

Joshua Healy
15-09-2015, 20:27
HDR = High Dynamic Range. That allows for a deeper internal calculation range of dark to light, improving contrast and lighting quality in general.
HDR is actually quite important in modern CGI for that very reason. Sure, unless you buy a seriously expensive monitor, you can't actually display a full HDR image depth (HDR being 16 to 32 bits per pixel of color depth, while monitors only display 8 bits per pixel) .. But it's the calculations behind what you end up seeing on screen that result in greater fidelity of changes in lighting.

People tend to automatically associate HDR with blown out colours, bloom and super high contrast, without realising that it's the way it's set up causing that.

artao
15-09-2015, 21:59
Ah yes. That.
Really tho, that's a mis-use of the term HDR ;)

ONT
16-09-2015, 00:11

I think this pic sums up about 99% of the games trying to use HDR (in the wrong way, not saying that it can't be done right) IMHO :cool:

Patrik Marek
23-01-2016, 01:02
however the exposure still doesn't work properly for most of the cars, if you are not using default FOV/seat position.

for my driving setup, FOV of roughtly 51 and seat sligtly closer, most of the cockpits are really dark, much darker then when I switch to other camera views , and that imo bug
because the relative exposure should be same for all the views,

cars like Clio has something where the exposure automtically compensates for this, so I was hoping that this would be fixed on all cars too, but it's still there - which is really a shame, becasue I can't use cockpit camera on some cars - like M3 GT4

Photonmonkey
23-01-2016, 03:18
^^^ This, I have had to go back to default FOV and even then when switching cams at night all the other external views are much brighter than the cockpit view, surely this isn't that hard to correct or at least try and balance on most cars. Some are much worse than others, it's all very well saying just use exposure compensation, the problem is you end up having to change it all the time and then replays are blown out. This is the only thing that still annoys me other than the sound drop outs on my PS4 version

DreamsKnight
23-01-2016, 04:57
A car/track/time combo? I never noticed this

Patrik Marek
24-01-2016, 08:24
225913have a look at this which is recorded just now - so it's the very latest,

this short video shows the outside exposure dependency on FOV, with narrow FOV - which I prefer because it's closer to my real one - I get very dark cockpit image, compared to how it looks like form outside

and I checked more cars on more tracks and it's the same, it really the Clio that doesn't do this
note: this is only for closed cockpit, I belive that none of the openwheelers suffer from this

car in question is M3 GT4, which is sadly my favorite car - sadly because this issue means that I can't drive it much because of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIe1yDxdWOg&feature=youtu.be

edit:
here you have Clio and it's nowhere near as bad, maybe a tiny bit still, but almost not noticeable
I checked some other cars and they all suffer form the darkening and from all the cars I tried it's only Clio that doesn't do it

devs were saying that they tried different approach with Clio, so perhaps this same approach can be used on other cars as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQLVeJeE5Ig&feature=youtu.be

Fanapryde
03-05-2016, 13:56
Ah yes, thanks @Mahjik
Complete forgot this topic! There is another one with people reporting problems with this issue (myself being one of them).
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?26221-In-car-view-brightness-bug