PDA

View Full Version : Hey aces, how do you manage oversteering?

thrasherxxx
15-09-2015, 10:32
Well, in very good sim oversteering is always a fight.

I see that pCars is very very realistic with oversteering: you have to understand why the car is oversteering and which are the causes to do a proper job with driving.

So, how do you keep the control? Do you use brakes or throttle? Do you just steer the other direction? You just leave the car do a 360?

I know looks like a newbie topic but I think it's always nice to learn techniques.

bye guys

CeeBee2001
15-09-2015, 10:50
Let off the throttle and give a quick flick of opposite lock :)

Yorkie065
15-09-2015, 10:52
It entirely depends on what causes the over-steer. All types require counter steering into the slide, so there's always that. If it was induced on throttle, then usually easing off and counter steering can help bring the car back in line, but it entirely depends on the amount of angle in the slide as to how much you need to back off. Sometimes you can just power on through it and counter steer, sometimes you can lift off a tad and balance the throttle, other times you have to come off throttle completely.

If it I'm getting over-steer whilst braking, again counter steer into it and then same thing applies with the brake. Usually it's because the brakes have locked and if there is time, you can ease off the brake a tad until the tyres grip again. Other times, you just need to get the car slowed down so you may ease off to stop it rotating, but come back hard on them to just lock the wheels and slide in a controlled manner or brake normally again. It's all about feel, what causes the over-steer and how the car reacts to the inputs you make to try and rectify it. A lot of it will come with time, and experience so you know what it is exactly you need to do in the moment to save the car.

Sankyo
15-09-2015, 11:06
Well, in very good sim oversteering is always a fight.

I see that pCars is very very realistic with oversteering: you have to understand why the car is oversteering and which are the causes to do a proper job with driving.

So, how do you keep the control? Do you use brakes or throttle? Do you just steer the other direction? You just leave the car do a 360?

I know looks like a newbie topic but I think it's always nice to learn techniques.

bye guys

Hitting the brakes when oversteering is in general a bad idea, because braking unloads the rear tyres which gives them even less grip. Just search for Nordschleife crash videos on YouTube to see evidence of that :)

MaximusN
15-09-2015, 11:26
Hitting the brakes when oversteering is in general a bad idea, because braking unloads the rear tyres which gives them even less grip. Just search for Nordschleife crash videos on YouTube to see evidence of that :)

Well it does work with a decent amount of throttle applied at the same time as the brake, at least in an RWD car(FWD is the opposite), this causes the car to point the nose in the direction it's currently heading.This doesn't work with ABS though(which is why I hate it).

Sankyo
15-09-2015, 11:34
Well it does work with a decent amount of throttle applied at the same time as the brake, at least in an RWD car(FWD is the opposite), this causes the car to point the nose in the direction it's currently heading.This doesn't work with ABS though(which is why I hate it).
You mean locking the fronts while keeping the rears rolling by means of the throttle, AKA the two-foot-hax from iRacing? :) Not sure if that will work on all RWD cars either? Engine needs to be quite strong for that.

PTG Baby Cow
15-09-2015, 13:21
I see it was never mentioned but it also comes down to the balance of the car. Rwd cars are often closer to a 50-50 balance so you will be able to control the slide better, cars with a heavier rear or front will require different techniques as the speed of the rear coming around may be different.

This is such a scenario based thing the only way to really get an answer is to get in the car and just get the laps in. You are going to end up getting the rear lose on accident more than once, so try different recovery methods. Mine is more of an autonomous response and its really dependent on how close to other vehicles/walls you are also. If you are going a little sideways and you may end up with a tire off track where you didn't want it then throttling through may be the best response, if you are oversteering and you are going to collect a wall then trying to get the car slowed as possible may be the best result as it wont end your race even though you may lose a lot of time, it still will likely be less than requiring another pit stop to repair damaged aero and suspension.

MaximusN
15-09-2015, 13:55
You mean locking the fronts while keeping the rears rolling by means of the throttle, AKA the two-foot-hax from iRacing? :) Not sure if that will work on all RWD cars either? Engine needs to be quite strong for that.

It'll work in most sims, worked in rFactor from the beginning f.i.. And last time I checkes it worked in PCars too. The engine doesn't have to be strong at all. In most cases your brake balance will be set up in a way that the rears will not lock up before the fronts do. So any power you send to the rear axle will keep the rear rolling even more. Of course it won't work when you floor the brake pedal in most cars, full braking should be stronger than the power of the engine(except maybe in first gear in some cars).

thmxvr
15-09-2015, 15:01
If it is front wheel drive -> Back on the gas and possibly counter steering
If RWD or AWD with traction bias to the rear -> Counter steering and possibly little change to the throttle (nothing dramatic)

Schnizz58
15-09-2015, 15:38
Hey aces, how do you manage oversteering?
Pause, Return to Pits, Edit Tuning Setup

VonSchwerin
15-09-2015, 16:19
I use both, throttle and brake.

Bealdor
15-09-2015, 16:39

ARCADE!

:p

Zanzibar
15-09-2015, 16:39
http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/oversteer.htm

Pretty much everything you need to know to diagnose and correct. A good setup is key to preventing oversteer but your driving technique could be the cause as well. I find the adjustments suggested in this article work in the game for the most part.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
15-09-2015, 18:37
I use the steering, throttle, brakes, clutch or gears depending on the situation. It's never as simple as "always do this", for example sometimes lifting the throttle causes an even quicker snap oversteer situation due to engine braking, in which case you're better off feathering the throttle. As a general notion I think countersteer + clutch works in many situations, but costs time.

MrBlacky
15-09-2015, 19:00

This.

Cholton82
15-09-2015, 21:01
Counter steer and then as Clarkson would say POWEEEER ! Then check rear view for cool tyre smoke

hkraft300
15-09-2015, 22:52
Fast reaction and countersteer are probably the only general* rules.
The quicker you are to catch it, the easier it will be to control. Sometimes you can stay on the power and correct it with steering and get a mad smokey drift on exit. For this you need to be familiar with the car, so you know when the rear loses grip at the first instance and react.
Sometimes it's too far gone before we realise, so maybe just do a quick 360 and get on your way.

* on a rare occasion, you ignore the oversteer, stay on the power, and the car regains grip and gets about its merry way.

santiagomo87
16-09-2015, 01:02
practice, practice, practice. Evtentually you'll sense it before it even comes.

TenthDan
16-09-2015, 01:20
You make the front wheels point where you want to go and use the throttle (or lack of) to get the car back behind them.

How the throttle is used is different for the different drive-trains, but not 'over-correcting' by pointing the front wheels too far the other way would be my starter advice.

Also, Don't Panic.

Zenzic
16-09-2015, 07:08
My biggest issue in the past was over correcting oversteer and then start to wobble until I spun off after all. As soon as you get the rear of the car back in line, straighten the wheel. And don't lower the steering ratio excessively, it's harder to be detailed with your steering inputs.

Since we're on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJSrwTq33V4

Not a lot to learn there, but a cool video nevertheless. :)

Kruleworld
16-09-2015, 08:16
I hate oversteer, so usually try to drive smooth to avoid it in the first place (Brno taught me this). also try dialing it out by increasing rear grip, like reducing rear tire pressure.

konnos
16-09-2015, 08:44
Also note, that if you re using a wheel with forcefeedback, this will be your saviour (if the ffb is calibrated correctly) since you will feel the oversteer at its birth and will be ready to countersteer. If you're trying to correct oversteer just by visual feedback, it will usually be too late. You will have to be very experienced to know that you re about to oversteer and act accordingly.

So yes you need technique but you also need something to let you know what's going on, especially on fast and highHP cars, you are very unlikely to correct it.

MaximusN
16-09-2015, 08:54
I hate oversteer, so usually try to drive smooth to avoid it in the first place (Brno taught me this). also try dialing it out by increasing rear grip, like reducing rear tire pressure.

I love oversteer, but only power oversteer. I don't like brake or lift-off oversteer, so Porsches are generally not my thing. I can cope with them but I don't want to. :) They are almost as bad as FWD's which I disgust(IRL of in-game).

MaximusN
16-09-2015, 09:02
Also note, that if you re using a wheel with forcefeedback, this will be your saviour (if the ffb is calibrated correctly) since you will feel the oversteer at its birth and will be ready to countersteer. If you're trying to correct oversteer just by visual feedback, it will usually be too late. You will have to be very experienced to know that you re about to oversteer and act accordingly.

So yes you need technique but you also need something to let you know what's going on, especially on fast and highHP cars, you are very unlikely to correct it.

Yes exactly. The trick IMHO is to not hold the wheel too tight so you can let/help the wheels do their self centering. If a car oversteers the front wheels always want to point in the direction that corrects the oversteer(the higher the caster the stronger this force is).

And what I notice in some people that play on my rig is that they fight understeer by turn in the wheel too far in. This not only makes the car understeer more, but if it turns in to oversteer(because of too much throttle after the apex) it's almost impossible to correct because the fronts not only regained grip but are pointing in a direction you don't want to be going(much too sharp into the corner).

LukeC
16-09-2015, 09:06
Let off the throttle and give a quick flick of opposite lock :)

Don't do that -- let off the throttle that is. Letting off the throttle will transfer the weight to the front making the oversteer worse. When going through a corner and you feel the car start to oversteer apply a bit more throttle. Then if you start to induce a bit of understeer let off the throttle -- gently -- to retain the balance. I know it's counterintuitive but that's how the pros do it and it works in project cars too. Practice driving the cars with the pedals as much as with the wheel. Let me know how it goes.

Mark Quigley
16-09-2015, 10:02
I hate oversteer

Get out, you don't belong on this forum never mind this thread :p

I can be often found way way back in last place laying big dar... number 11s in rwd cars with a big cheesy grin on my kisser :D

thrasherxxx
17-09-2015, 08:05
It's a pleasure to read so many suggestions and tecniques.

Well, I find pCars amazing because every car is very different a "truly" realistic. The oversteer in this game is poetry. You can hate it, but you have to struggle with it.... and when you'll get it it's a huge reward.

I've found some tricky cars [BAC Mono] and very funny cars [an old Mercedes] and the causes of oversteering are always different.
You have to learn the reasons before applying any succesfull correction.

The most terribile oversteer, to me, is the one you get when you brake very hard, lose the apex and get the corner late, or very late... you're not pushing the throttle or the brakes and just the steering itself makes the car spin.

Final tought: I think the oversteer is harder to control with the dualshock than the wheel...

hkraft300
17-09-2015, 08:16
The BAC Mono is just sublime! Give it a crack around Laguna Seca (super soft tires. The Prime are rubbish) and have a play with the springs and sway bars. I've heard some say it's too loose at the back. They're lying. Consider its a "road" car capable of sub 1:25s around Laguna Seca!

Anyway, oversteer in pCars can be joyful (Lotus 98T. Yes, I said it) and heart-stopping. More often than not, it's both.
Oversteer FTW
Embrace it, people!

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
17-09-2015, 10:07
I love the BAC Mono with the default setup. For me it behaves exactly like the Stig's lap on Top Gear looked: Oversteer on entry, mid-corner and corner exit, but so amazingly controllable. Most of the time he wasn't turning the wheel into the corner during that hot lap. =)

PTG Baby Cow
17-09-2015, 12:40
It's a pleasure to read so many suggestions and tecniques.

Well, I find pCars amazing because every car is very different a "truly" realistic. The oversteer in this game is poetry. You can hate it, but you have to struggle with it.... and when you'll get it it's a huge reward.

I've found some tricky cars [BAC Mono] and very funny cars [an old Mercedes] and the causes of oversteering are always different.
You have to learn the reasons before applying any succesfull correction.

The most terribile oversteer, to me, is the one you get when you brake very hard, lose the apex and get the corner late, or very late... you're not pushing the throttle or the brakes and just the steering itself makes the car spin.

Final tought: I think the oversteer is harder to control with the dualshock than the wheel...

If the car has one adjust the decel lock (raise it) for less oversteer when off throttle or braking.

hkraft300
17-09-2015, 13:04
I love the BAC Mono with the default setup. For me it behaves exactly like the Stig's lap on Top Gear looked: Oversteer on entry, mid-corner and corner exit, but so amazingly controllable. Most of the time he wasn't turning the wheel into the corner during that hot lap. =)

Don't get me wrong I loved it on default. But I had to be reasonably consistent with a controller for a race y'see...

thrasherxxx
17-09-2015, 14:27
The BAC Mono is one tricky car and the exhaust looks like the one on my motard...
I'm not very fast and I'm not a "every day" player so I'm improving my abilities slowly but the BAC Mono is almost a nightmare at the beginning but it's surely one of the best car to learn a lot about driving in this game... and it has a really huge potential.
I'll give a ride tonight to this beast :D