PDA

View Full Version : Audi R8 Brands Hatch Issue

NemethR
15-09-2015, 21:45
I have been driving the R8 Audi at Brands hatch, and found a wierd bug...

When exiting the 1st corner, if I touch the curb on the outside, the car suddenly looses the rear, and spins.

I started recording this after the 2nd time it happened to me (in a row).
It was always the same. Car simply looses the back.

I have driven the SLS Mercedes, the RGT RUF, the Focus RS, Megane RS, Clio, F Rookie, Shifter Kart, Ginetta G40, Caterham 7 Classic, 1 series BMW, Mitsubishi EVo, A45 AMG Merc. and none of those cars had anything similar to this in this same corner.
Also I have driven the Audi at Brands, Zolder, Imola, Monza, Monaco, and it only happens in this one corner.

I tought maybe its worth a look.

Video:

NOTE: Still uploading should be available around 00:30 CET.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHDsuuPr18

gotdirt410sprintcar
16-09-2015, 02:22

When exiting the 1st corner, if I touch the curb on the outside, the car suddenly looses the rear, and spins.

I have driven the SLS Mercedes, the RGT RUF, the Focus RS, Megane RS, Clio, F Rookie, Shifter Kart, Ginetta G40, Caterham 7 Classic, 1 series BMW, Mitsubishi EVo, A45 AMG Merc. and none of those cars had anything similar to this in this same corner.
Also I have driven the Audi at Brands, Zolder, Imola, Monza, Monaco, and it only happens in this one corner.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHDsuuPr18 And I have a problem with throttle flutters. it goes full slow then jumps around then it goes full only car this happens I know my pedals are fine. hope someone can answer if its a known issue or something thanks. not my video

Kruleworld
16-09-2015, 08:40
I just did 15 laps. there does feel like a RHS pull in the FFB as i go past the pit wall exit, but not where you spun out. Perhaps the car is bottoming out. the car went into neutral (N) when i hit the curbs there.

Sankyo
16-09-2015, 08:45

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHDsuuPr18

Are the differential settings on the R8 very different compared to the other cars you mentioned? Can you influence the behaviour by changing the (rear) differential value?

NemethR
16-09-2015, 09:04
Are the differential settings on the R8 very different compared to the other cars you mentioned? Can you influence the behaviour by changing the (rear) differential value?

Hello Remco, this was done with the default setup of the car, I will try adjusting the diff, once I get home, and will have a look :)

NemethR
17-09-2015, 06:46
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply it took too long tuo upload the video to youtube.

I had a little issue, I did not find any way to adjust the rear differential only, I have the "Acc. lock, Decel. lock., Preload" settings only, I did not find any way to adjust the Diffs seperately.
Also I have no real understanding how to tune them, so what I did is, I set all to 0%, did a few laps, then set all to 100% did a few laps, and then reset the setup to the default and did a few laps.

Here is the video, showing every attempt I made, and so you can see how many times this occured:
Also note, there is another issue, when the car hits the gravel, it suddenly stops, and is in Neutral, you can see that also in the video.

Video with telemetry on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMcwdMMGq3A

As said, I did a lot of laps on Brands hatch with the Adui, and this only happens in this one turn. Also I (hot-)lapped the Audi on Imola, Zolder, Monza, Monaco, and I did not have a similar issue anywhere. I lapped a lot of cars (post above) on Brands hatch, and did not have this issue with any other car so far.

Hope that helps out.

Another question from me, maybe someone could answer that...
At 11:30 in the video where the FFB is displayed on the top left a second WHITE line appears. What is that?

Franco Ferrari
17-09-2015, 10:14
From the telemetry HUD I see the front left suspension "bottoming out" for a brief moment (the bump stop indicator turns red) all the times.
This is also accompanied by a grinding sound from the bottom of the car scratching.

It may well be a bug in the psychics... but try to raise the suspensions and add a lot of bump stops.
Also stiffen the springs.

Let's see if this helps or what.

NemethR
17-09-2015, 11:03
From the telemetry HUD I see the front left suspension "bottoming out" for a brief moment (the bump stop indicator turns red) all the times.
This is also accompanied by a grinding sound from the bottom of the car scratching.

It may well be a bug in the psychics... but try to raise the suspensions and add a lot of bump stops.

Thank you Franco

I will try that lated today.

On the other hand for example, the RUF RGT8 (Ohh, is that car fun btw.) bottoms out too, but does not do this "flip".

Vennt
17-09-2015, 11:39
You really can't compare or assess handling characteristics between two cars like that.

RUF is over 15% lighter than the Audi and, the car width (about 6 inches) and wheelbase differences (about 10 inches) between the two will also have an effect on what happens with them on curbs, bottoming out etc.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
17-09-2015, 11:40

Let's see if this helps or what.The front left bottoming out indicator seems to be buggy, it tends to flash all the time no matter what.

NemethR
17-09-2015, 12:21
You really can't compare or assess handling characteristics between two cars like that.

RUF is over 15% lighter than the Audi and, the car width (about 6 inches) and wheelbase differences (about 10 inches) between the two will also have an effect on what happens with them on curbs, bottoming out etc.

Well, fact is, you clearly did not read the above posts :P

I tried this same track with most cars in the game, and Only the Audi does this.
I tired the Audi on a lot of tracks, and it only happens in this corner.

Plage
17-09-2015, 15:56

You can't change the height of this car unfortunately. I justed tested it on the NOS and one thing I noticed is that one bump stop is set to 39 and not to 40 like the other three in the default setup but I doubt this is the reasons of the problem here. I've raised the bump stops to 45mm and stiffened the suspension quite a lot but the car is still bottoming out when transitioning from the downwards to the upwards part of the Fuchsröhre (Foxhole) and will spin out if you don't take back and try to go full speed. It just feels like the suspension "gives in" at some point and totally collapses and I'd say it shouldn't be like that as other "supercars" can make it through there just fine with basically default setups.

/edit: Correction as the SLS is even worse and will bottom out at the Hatzenbach multiple times already. You can make it senselessly stiff to counter it with some effect but that can't be the solution.

Schnizz58
17-09-2015, 16:27
I've raised the bump stops to 45mm and stiffened the suspension quite a lot but the car is still bottoming out when transitioning from the downwards to the upwards part of the Fuchsröhre (Foxhole) and will spin out if you don't take back and try to go full speed. It just feels like the suspension "gives in" at some point and totally collapses and I'd say it shouldn't be like that as other "supercars" can make it through there just fine with basically default setups.
If you raise the bump stops, wouldn't that cause the car to hit the bump stops more often (all other things being equal)?

Bealdor
17-09-2015, 19:02
The front left bump stop indicator turning red all the time seems to be a bug in the telemetry HUD. Don't interpret too much into it.

Del Zotto x82x
17-09-2015, 19:08
So even coasting it without any gas, does it still react the same? curious

17-09-2015, 20:53
Well, fact is, you clearly did not read the above posts :P

I tried this same track with most cars in the game, and Only the Audi does this.
I tired the Audi on a lot of tracks, and it only happens in this corner.During dev I noticed the Audi getting out of hand during huge compressions a few times, never got quite to the bottom of it though.

DiabloSandwich
17-09-2015, 22:13
It only seems to be the Audi,Ive tried lots of other cars and they dont do it .

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/xRichardBurton/video/8255198

It doesnt do it on my first lap out of the pits,but every lap after that it happens,and if you track to the far right onto the grass it avoids the bug.

Plage
18-09-2015, 19:11
If you raise the bump stops, wouldn't that cause the car to hit the bump stops more often (all other things being equal)?

Yes, but it's better to have it hit the stops than bottoming out I'd say.

18-09-2015, 22:46
Yes, but it's better to have it hit the stops than bottoming out I'd say.Yeah. People seem to have this assumption that bump stops are incredibly stiff and almost the same as bottoming out, when they simply aren't. Bump stops are there exactly to prevent the very sudden change in spring rate that happens when you bottom out the suspension, and they're generally really not necessarily that stiff either. According to Fat Cat Motorsports (who have an excellent series on IRL dampers and suspension adjustments on YouTube, even though I disagree with their philosophy on running bump higher than rebound) most sports cars running on really good tyres tend to run constantly on bump stops during cornering. Can't be such a bad thing then. Street car bump stops are also quite often fairly tall, even 5-6 cm or longer. They engage early and increase in stiffness progressively. Also checking the owner's manual for the 12C GT3 car, the bump stops in it are very short compared to most street cars, and the spring rates for first 10 mm of compression is only 85 N/mm for the rear bump stops and 125 N/mm for the front ones, both significantly softer than the actual springs on the car.

In in-game terms, taller bump stops contact earlier, but are initially softer, so even if you hit them more often they have a less sudden effect on the car compared to short or no bump stops.

Plage
19-09-2015, 03:25
I'm not really sure but think the ingame description actually says something like that it's get stiffer and more nervous which indeed seems to be the case. I've raised the stops to 60mm on the R8 now and it's not bottoming out on the NOS anymore. If it hits the stops it's not noticeable which I think has to do with the stiffness getting raised progressively like you said. It's definitely softer than bottoming out that's for sure. The thing is that the car becomes more nervous like said which is no problem with the R8 as it actually can even profit from it but may lead to problems with other cars that aren't that easy to drive or forgiving. I haven't tested this so far as I didn't ran into any problems like that before but will pay closer attention to these setting from now on.

NemethR
04-10-2015, 18:27
As Plage mentioned already, at the Fuchsröhre its also present.

Note, that this issue did not happen with any other car I tried, and I tried all of them at Brands, and all road cars at the Nordschleife.

This only happens to the Audi, and because of this I assume it is a bug. Also car drops to N (neutral) when hitting something. Like the curbs in Monza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKpGZn3b_s

VanquishedVantage
04-10-2015, 19:58
Does it also happen with the R8 LMS Ultra?

NemethR
05-10-2015, 06:40
Does it also happen with the R8 LMS Ultra?

Not at all