PDA

View Full Version : Sauber C9 @ Le Mans

Schnizz58
16-09-2015, 02:28
I'm all of a sudden struggling greatly with this car. I've raced it 3 times and never had a major issue but now I almost can't keep it on the track. I have no traction at all. If I step on the gas even just a little, I spin out. If it hit the brakes doing 90mph, I skid. It's severely understeery. I would like to think that the car will behave better when the tires warm up but I can't stay on the track long enough to warm them up. Even cold, tires that big should grip a little bit. Things are the size of my sofa. In addition to that it doesn't feel the same as it used to. The steering is twitchy and the feedback is heavy and dull. It's as if somebody came and messed up my setup but I looked at the values and they look alright. Anybody else having these issues?

TheReaper GT
16-09-2015, 02:54
Wrong tyres in the rear axle?

Schnizz58
16-09-2015, 03:03
Wrong tyres in the rear axle?
It's possible. I can't check because I overwrote the setup with one from another track. It does seem a little better now. I'm not exactly fast but I did break the 4 minute barrier, lol.

hkraft300
16-09-2015, 04:45
Track weather conditions?
You can't expect to drive it like a modern LMP car and get away with it. Drive it with some gentle persuasion.
It has great grip at the front but remember it's on 80's tires.

Schnizz58
16-09-2015, 04:53
Noon, light cloud.

Yeah, I agree it's not a modern prototype and also that the tires are probably the weak link. It's a little slippery even on a good day. But this was ridiculous. You know the little kink between the main straight and the Dunlop turns? I was sliding off the road there nowhere near top speed. Coming out of the pit lane, tap the brakes and lock up. It's much better now. I loaded my Monza tune, which I figured would be fairly close and now I'm trying to dial it in. It's also a whole different track for me in this car and I'm doing it without the driving line for the first time so trying to find my braking point for the chicanes.

TheReaper GT
16-09-2015, 05:01
For breaking points I use the worker in Orange jacket on the left for the first chicane, for the second I name as soon as I start seeing the left limit of the turn.

hkraft300
16-09-2015, 05:12
Car will behave very differently running between a summer day and a winter day (track temp changing by 10c makes a noticeable difference in tire grip and running temps). I've noticed since 3.0 whenever I set up an online lobby the race date is set to custom and I have to change that to "race date"
A little higher rear bump and softer rear rebound helps to keep the weight on the nose. Have a play with diff settings too.

Schnizz58
16-09-2015, 14:24
For breaking points I use the worker in Orange jacket on the left for the first chicane, for the second I name as soon as I start seeing the left limit of the turn.
That was my first choice because he's easy to spot but this car doesn't brake so well and I slid right through the chicane. So I started working backwards from there. Still haven't got it perfect yet. For the second one, I use the fence on the right. There's a spot where the height of the fence goes from very high to much shorter and that's my spot.

Car will behave very differently running between a summer day and a winter day (track temp changing by 10c makes a noticeable difference in tire grip and running temps). I've noticed since 3.0 whenever I set up an online lobby the race date is set to custom and I have to change that to "race date"
A little higher rear bump and softer rear rebound helps to keep the weight on the nose. Have a play with diff settings too.
I did play with the diffs quite a bit getting it sorted for the 1st 3 races. I had to lower the accel setting to avoid a lot of power on oversteer. This is for the career invitational series where there are 4 events at Brno, Monza, Spa and the final is at Le Mans. I was middle of the points at Brno, won at Monza was out of the points at Spa (because it rained two laps from the end and the AI never pitted for rain tires) and I'm tied for the lead in points with the final coming up. So I'm trying to take this one seriously to see if I can win the championship. Putting in a lot of practice laps and trying to tweak the car just right before I get into the race.

ARNAGEist
16-09-2015, 15:04
Did you find it changed after patch 3? I hadn't raced the R18 for a while until after the patch & found the same at Le Mans. the setup was all over the place, the same setup I had previously managed a 3:28 on :confused:

This is how to race the Merc considering it was designed pre chicanes and nearly 250 mph down the Mulsanne it's still a beast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Com1ska9WE

Schnizz58
16-09-2015, 15:08
Did you find it changed after patch 3? I hadn't raced the R18 for a while until after the patch & found the same at Le Mans. the setup was all over the place, the same setup I had previously managed a 3:28 on :confused:

This is how to race the Merc considering it was designed pre chicanes and nearly 250 mph down the Mulsanne it's still a beast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Com1ska9WE
I never ran it prior to patch 3.0. Thanks for the vid; I'll have a look.