PDA

View Full Version : which is the easier track to begin with for beginners?

yeobt
16-09-2015, 03:30
Hi,

I'm a noob in car racing but am a car lover in real life. A honda fan.
Am switching to racing in virtual world to cut down burning carbon in real life to save the earth.

well, which track is good for slow learner?

TIA

deathpallie
16-09-2015, 03:36
Brno. Wide, fast and flowing with very few hairpins. Lots of fun to hot lap. Watkins Glen also.

Umer Ahmad
16-09-2015, 03:49
Brno, easiest track. All corners are basically the same.

Pappa_Stig
16-09-2015, 04:15
I'd say Monza Short is the easiest. I'd also rate these circuits as easier than Brno:

Silverstone national
Stowe circuit
Hockenheim short
Donington National
Le Mans Bugatti Circuit
Snetterton 200
Nurburgring Muellenbach
Catalunya Club

And there are probably others too. Brno isn't a hard track by any means, don't get me wrong, but I think the shortest version of most circuits is easier as there are fewer corners to remember, and most of them have flat corners with good visibility. Brno has a couple of off camber corners and a couple of blind apexes, which in my opinion makes it a harder track than the above list. Although I will add that the first time I did Brno, in career Formula C, it was surprisingly easy to learn. It has a nice flow to it.

Cheesenium
16-09-2015, 04:20
I used Silverstone National, the curves are generally simple while it has good mixture of straights and curve. Generally easy to learn, except the chicane to the pits while it is a common track that is available in many games.

A bit of too flat for my taste though but it had been a consistently my learning track in a new game.

My other learning track is Spa because it is also very common in a lot of games. I don't think it is new player friendly if you are not familiar with Spa layout in other games.

For some reason, I just can't get my head around Brno. Perhaps I need to spend more time there.

yusupov
16-09-2015, 04:26
i second (or third, ir whatever) brno. simple enough track that will keep you slow but active, though to be honest ive always found it dull. you never really get up a ton of speed & i dont think theres anything tricky. but if youre a beginner its for the most part pretty easy to stay on the track there which, if youre like me, can be a big part of the struggle for awhile.

cant speak on the above except for donington national, which is one of my favorite simple tracks but does have a couple trickier bits (imo). note that all of pappa stig's recommendations are variants, make sure you choose those specific circuits as the full layouts can be a completely different story.

Bubbs
16-09-2015, 05:32
Brno for me too.

Good for learning the importance of slow-in, fast-out driving. It's wide too, so multiple lines are possible.

Makes for good online races as well - just watch out for the rogue tyre stacks.

Silraed
16-09-2015, 05:42
Another vote for Brno.

mjemec11
16-09-2015, 07:24
Donington National all the way imo. It's got great flow and it's short. Really fun to drive in Formula Rookie or Formula C.

NemethR
16-09-2015, 07:40

They only look the same, I think Brno is one of the hardest track to really nail it.

On the other hand, every track is easy, if you do a few laps on it, you will learn the track.
For learning I would use the Nordschleife to be honest. :) - seriously!

But Brno is a good track to start with, Silverstone National, Watkins Glen National, even Monza...

But if you want fun while learning... Nordschleife, Spa, Sonoma, Bathurst... :)

rams1de
16-09-2015, 07:45
But if you want fun while learning... Nordschleife, Spa, Sonoma, Bathurst... :)

OP wants to save the planet. Smashed controllers, monitors and windows will raise his Carbon footprint ;)

cluck
16-09-2015, 07:54
You know, I still rate Brands as one of the easiest to get started with (it was the first track I drove in real life) due to the shortness of the track. Turn right, hairpin right, turn left, turn left, turn right. Repeat.

The only 'danger' is Paddock Hill Bend, but start slow and build up.

Also, take a lower-powered car to start with, something like the Ginetta G40 Junior or Formula Rookie. They never go fast enough to get you into any real trouble :).

FLX81
16-09-2015, 07:56
Every track has its tricky bits. I personally used Willow Springs as my go-to track when I started driving pcars but that has corners that are hard to nail as well. Imho the best mix of learning and fun would be Watkins Glen short or Silverstone National/International.

Brno is an acquired taste which a lot of people find tedious, not ideal for a beginners first foray into sim racing. :p

AB_Attack
16-09-2015, 08:42
Just run short tracks or shorter versions of tracks and you'll be fine (it will say number of turns). It's not that any corners are too difficult for a beginner, it's that one wants to learn the track fast enough so that one can practice the skills and not having to watch out for the next turn.

I have played sim-racing games for many years and still I'm not comfortable with Nordschleife so that track is obviously off-limits for learning how to drive. Drive that track for a fun scenery and ordinary road type experience only. And so one either
1) drives Nordschleife for fun enough times until naturally having learned the track, and then try to clock fast times or
2) make it a project memorizing all the 70 something turns and put in the time to be fast (not fun if you ask me)

Remember that it is normal for anyone learning a new track to drive ten laps to get to know the track. Just drive around it, don't try to force being fast from the start.

And like cluck suggests, pick a low powered car. You'll have more fun being in control, staying on track, and those cars have charms of their own and still require great skill to drive fast (all cars do). That way you also have stuff to look forward to: higher powered cars, while having max fun all the way. And low powered cars should race short circuits (again with that) or it will take forever to drive around Spa for example.

Happy racing! :)

Brno is an acquired taste which a lot of people find tedious, not ideal for a beginners first foray into sim racing. :p
I always loved Brno in all other games. However, in PCars I find it ... slightly tedious for some reason.

I don't miss Mugello (once loved, then faded interest) much, but I do miss Valencia in Project Cars. I think maybe Assetto Corsas version of Mugello left a bad feeling that stuck.

Cheesenium
16-09-2015, 09:04
I think I forgot to add something.

I think some of the best tracks to start with are the short versions of tracks like Monza, Hockiheim, Nurburgring, Brands Hatch, Willow Spring(Horse Thief Shoe is one of my favorite) and so on. They are much shorter than most tracks so it makes it a lot easier to learn the corners while get accustomed to pcars physics.

Silraed
16-09-2015, 09:54
They only look the same, I think Brno is one of the hardest track to really nail it.

I think the beauty of Brno is that it is deceptively simple. It has a relatively simple layout, no corners that make you sit there for a couple seconds after you hit the barrier wondering what just happened. But to really nail it you need to be on your game.

I agree on Monza as well, it is a great track for teaching you where the limits are and how to get as close to the limit and hold there without being frustratingly brutal when you step over that limit and mess up, looking at you Nordschleife.

Mark Quigley
16-09-2015, 10:12
Depends on which car you chose tbh.
I can eat my dinner while lapping quickly round spa in the formula wookie, chucking it round Oulton Pk is a whole other thing.

Mangoat
16-09-2015, 11:10
Ruapuna B circuit would be my suggestion. Great fun with a lower powered car (Clio Cup or Audi A1). Has a bit of everything in under 1 minute so if you make a mess of things (like me :)) you'll be back for another go soon enough. Only thing it's missing is a long high speed corner, but, it still makes a great practice/setup/tuning track.

hkraft300
16-09-2015, 11:14
I'm gonna throw Watkins Glen out there. In almost any car. Doesn't really bite if you over cook it. Less twisty than Brno.

Cheesenium
16-09-2015, 11:16
Depends on which car you chose tbh.
I can eat my dinner while lapping quickly round spa in the formula wookie, clucking it round Oulton Pk is a whole other thing.

Thats true, I am fine with GT3 on Spa or Monza but change it to Brno or Watkins Glen, you'll see me going off track frequently.

The Formula Wookie part is funny.

Bealdor
16-09-2015, 11:22
Thats true, I am fine with GT3 on Spa or Monza but change it to Brno or Watkins Glen, you'll see me going off track frequently.

The trick for Brno (for me at least) is to decrease Limited Slip Decelleration Lock. This let's you dive into those corners much better.

Mahjik
16-09-2015, 14:54
IMO, Brno is not the best track to start with... Sure it's not a highly technical track, but it's a large track and the lap times make it so long to work on correcting mistakes.

As AB_Attack mentioned, the shorter versions of most tracks will be the best option. Tracks like:

Watkins Glen Short
Barcelona National
etc..

When stating out, it's much easier to learn if you can get more repetition in within a limited time. i.e. it's better to run 20 minutes and get almost 20 laps than to run 20 minutes and get almost 10 laps.

Schnizz58
16-09-2015, 14:59
Brno: Land of the left-right chicanes. :)

3800racingfool
16-09-2015, 15:54
Kinda funny seeing Brno being mentioned so much. I absolutely hate that track. Cannot set a fast lap on it for the life of me.

My personal favorite is Laguna Seca. Medium length, medium speed track. Good variety of corners without anything too technical.

WG Short is another good track. Fast sweepers, the carousel, banking in turns 1 and 11. And again, nothing too technical.

PTG Baby Cow
16-09-2015, 19:15
Kinda funny seeing Brno being mentioned so much. I absolutely hate that track. Cannot set a fast lap on it for the life of me.

My personal favorite is Laguna Seca. Medium length, medium speed track. Good variety of corners without anything too technical.

WG Short is another good track. Fast sweepers, the carousel, banking in turns 1 and 11. And again, nothing too technical.

Not sure you can say laguna has nothing too technical. First corner is a fairly high speed section into a hairpin like turn, and also has one of the most famous corners in racing, the corkscrew.... also a decent amount of elevation change.... elevation change alone makes things difficult.

I'd have to say watkins or something like that, a track with a bunch of sweepers to me is easier than tight twisty tracks with slow exit speeds.

marcdxn
16-09-2015, 19:33
I would personally say that any track is a good beginners track except the nords & Monaco because there is little room for error.
Drive it slowly, learn the corners and note some markers where you hit the brakes and turn in and after each lap slowly increase the speed.

I see it all the time and I've done it myself where people hit a new circuit and try race it the first time, drive round it slowly set a lap time it doesn't matter if it took you 3 minutes the next drive round do it in 2:55 keep doing this over 10 laps and increase the speed as you build confidence.

Before driving the track have a good look at the layout so you know what to expect, if you really need it turn the driving line on until you feel confident that you know whats coming up until you know the layout by memory.

I'd advise against the racing line and just driving a few spotter laps until you start building the speed because it looks awful and you want to feel the realism as much as possible.

Good luck with the laps :)

PTG Baby Cow
16-09-2015, 21:03
Glad you added the last paragraph.... but ur right if u need it to learn not a horrible idea to turn line on.

Personaly. I run things a bit different than everyone else. I'll run the track in time trials and go all out rifht out of the gate. The difference is I expect to hit the "restart session" button a lot. I run the section I know up until I don't know it and push until I mess up a corner. Restart, unless I'm at the end of the lap and do it again until I'm nearly up to speed by the end. Usually within 10 laps I will know a track and be running consistent laps of .1 apart. If I rum another 10-20 more I will usually hit my peak lap of like .5 faster than my normal time.

I like doing it this way rather than running slow as running slow doesn't tell you how the car will react. But I do it on a track alone so not to jeapordize someone else's lap.

hkraft300
17-09-2015, 00:06
Ye.. Throw yourself off the deep end. If you hit the wall, brake sooner.
Don't be scared. It's only a video game.

(Who the f says video game any more wow showing my age there lol)

TenthDan
17-09-2015, 01:15
I think Spa or Silverstone are the easiest to start with, reason: they have lots of run-off areas so you can work on staying in the corners without losing all that time in sand and grass.

Dubai also has plenty of run-off but may be harder to learn as the corners aren't as easy to remember (Spa has much uniqueness/variety to aid memory).

For something different and if just getting used to the handling, head out to California Highway or Azure Coast and drive like you would a real road - and build up your speed. Doing so will help you get a handle on many corner types and how to manage the car in different situations of losing control :)

PTG Baby Cow
17-09-2015, 12:57
I think Spa or Silverstone are the easiest to start with, reason: they have lots of run-off areas so you can work on staying in the corners without losing all that time in sand and grass.

Dubai also has plenty of run-off but may be harder to learn as the corners aren't as easy to remember (Spa has much uniqueness/variety to aid memory).

For something different and if just getting used to the handling, head out to California Highway or Azure Coast and drive like you would a real road - and build up your speed. Doing so will help you get a handle on many corner types and how to manage the car in different situations of losing control :)

I wouldn't say that cali highway or azure coast are a good learning place, but they are very fun for controlled chaos. They will def test your reactions, especially until you learn the course. Takes quite a while 2 as they are both about the same length as the ring but are "fantasy" tracks so you would have never seen them before. I will agree that silverstone for the most part is a fairly flat/wide track with good run offs, however i think that track is deceptively challenging. Like luffield and vale. They look fairly easy but the proper line through them is very different than one would expect it to be.

AB_Attack
17-09-2015, 13:12
Also, use virtual rear mirror hud so you can glance at the track map on the left. That way you won't be surprised by any sharp blind turns.

Silraed
17-09-2015, 13:18
I wouldn't say that cali highway or azure coast are a good learning place, but they are very fun for controlled chaos.

I think there is something to be said for the road point to points as "learning" places. In the sense that you can drive them like you would drive on the actual road and learn how to read the details of the FFB and how to read what the car is doing without the real life forces that so many people feel lost without when they first start out in a computer game with a wheel.

N0body Of The Goat
17-09-2015, 14:04
Barcelona Club, or Silverstone National.

hkraft300
19-09-2015, 01:56
I'm voting against the short variations of the GP tracks. Sure they have less turns and easier to remember. But it's an extra track to learn (because I only race GP variation I'm hopeless at the smaller tracks lol).
I'm gonna throw Zhuhai in the mix it's simple enough: go fast, hairpin, go fast, hairpin, go fast, oh look there's actually half a chicane! Go fast, hairpin...

leithnow
19-09-2015, 03:51
I don't think what track you're on really matters. I wouldn't approach it trying to start with easy tracks and working your way up. Spend 30 minutes and research racing fundamentals, like race lines, brake timing and pressure, when to steer, how to avoid spinning out etc...then pick a car that handles the way you like, then pick whatever track and do 20-30 laps. Do some time trials with ghosts from the leader boards. Start slow and easy and you will natrually start going faster and pushing the car and learning its limits. Repetition will bring the skill. That's my two cents anyway.