PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Online? Never any players but a handful...Something wrong on my end?

spinelli
16-09-2015, 04:56
I haven't spent much time with PCars due to a variety of reasons (no "true" triple screen support, 3D Vision issues [although I hear these are mostly fixed thanks to 3rd party patches], and the highly arduous task and hassle that is customizing and experimenting with PCar's FFB settings), however, every time I go online to maybe try out some online racing there is literally almost no one on. At 8:50 PM PST there were only 15 people on in the world - 7 in 1 server, 5 in another, and 3 others with 1 each. The other times I've checked, it's always the same more-or-less. I just checked rFactor 2 (9:10 PM), which most likely has absolutely nowhere near the user base and general public awareness of Project Cars, and it has 13 people online. I would have thought that PCar's sales/user-base was even higher than Assetto Corsa's (let alone rFactor 2) or, if not higher, at-least on par with Assetto Corsa or at the very, very least at-least close to Assetto Corsa. So I went to check Assetto Corsa and it has SIX HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE players.

Online Multiplayer Numbers as of sometime between 8:50 and 9:10 PM PST

Assetto Corsa - 635
Project Cars - 15 (yes, that's fifteen, not fifty, not one-hundred and fifty)
RFactor 2 - 13 (not a mainstream game, niche, expected for such a late time of the evening)

I had everything in my filter set on "Any" and have always had it like that. I refreshed the server multiple times. There's nothing wrong with my internet/connection/firewall.

Is there something "baked" into the game that only allows you to see certain servers regardless of your settings? Maybe the game knows that I'm relatively inexperienced and therefore only shows me servers with brand-new and almost brand-new players?? Something has to be wrong here. PCars is a huge hit - yes, I know the PC sales were a small percentage of the console sales but still! 635 VS 15???!!!??? - and I therefore don't understand what's going on...

Pink_650S
16-09-2015, 05:14
Haha 15 :D thats pretty sad.

SUBGTRACER
16-09-2015, 06:00
15 players on PC ........what the ?

not good.

falcon2081
16-09-2015, 06:30
Your issue is region based. If your in the U.S. your not going to find many players playing right now. The best time to play is during the early afternoon when most of the European folks are on as well. During that time you can find more than enough lobbies and players to race with. :D

resmania
16-09-2015, 06:46
Is there any way to get rid of Steam region based match making?

Nomad06
16-09-2015, 07:48
Not just you...people were excited first. ..even with all the delays...but it was soon evident Pcars was a broken game with broken promises...people got tired of all the bugs and a lot just left....seen itbin leagues and fb groups....Pcars had a great chance and IMHO, blew it....very sad.

AB_Attack
16-09-2015, 08:31
Not just you...people were excited first. ..even with all the delays...but it was soon evident Pcars was a broken game with broken promises...people got tired of all the bugs and a lot just left....seen itbin leagues and fb groups....Pcars had a great chance and IMHO, blew it....very sad.

Maybe so. I still think it can rebound if fixed up enough. Company of Heroes doubled players online after release of Brits and not just for a week, so. If it comes together good enough (necessary features implemented, no pile-ups at grid, AI not racing great on grass, fully functioning replays e t c) it can really grow again I think.

Nomad06
16-09-2015, 08:50
Maybe so. I still think it can rebound if fixed up enough. Company of Heroes doubled players online after release of Brits and not just for a week, so. If it comes together good enough (necessary features implemented, no pile-ups at grid, AI not racing great on grass, fully functioning replays e t c) it can really grow again I think.

Damn, I really hope you're right. .I love the idea...the cars and tracks. ..but the bugs are getting to a point where a lot of people have given up and moving on...waiting for gt7....SMS has really got to get a handle on this...

spinelli
16-09-2015, 11:20
Your issue is region based.But I have region and everything in the options set to "all"...

Snoopy
16-09-2015, 11:24

Imho

https://youtu.be/A8MO7fkZc5o

Shepard2603
16-09-2015, 11:26
Change your location in the steam settings to UK or something in Europe, and you should see more online lobbies.

ports
16-09-2015, 11:28
As of 23 minutes ago there is 893 players online on pc
http://steamcharts.com/app/234630

spinelli
16-09-2015, 11:30
Change your location in the steam settings to UK or something in Europe, and you should see more online lobbies.Why is that? Why do I have to screw with my steam's program's settings to be able to possibly have access to more servers and see more players online in an online multiplayer game??

Bealdor
16-09-2015, 11:31
As of 23 minutes ago there is 893 players online on pc
http://steamcharts.com/app/234630

That's the total number of players playing the game, not the number of players playing MP.

Why is that? Why do I have to screw with my steam's program's settings to be able to possibly have access to more servers and see more players online in an online multiplayer game??

AFAIK that's how Steam's regional servers work.

spinelli
16-09-2015, 11:36
AFAIK that's how Steam's regional servers work.I'm not sure what you mean by "Steam's regional servers". I'm not trying to join anything in Steam. I'm trying to join an in-game server, like when you choose a server/car/track, etc. No different than rFactor, Stock Car Extreme, Assetto Corsa, etc. What's that have to do with Steam?

Shepard2603
16-09-2015, 11:36
Calm down dude. It's not the game, it's steam giving these restrictions. SMS is not hosting the master servers for the online lobbies. And as Bealdor said: 893 is the total amount of players running the game, not online players.

Bealdor
16-09-2015, 11:38
I'm not sure what you mean by "Steam's regional servers". I'm not trying to join anything in Steam. I'm trying to join an in-game server, like when you choose a server/car/track, etc. No different than rFactor, Stock Car Extreme, Assetto Corsa, etc. What's that have to do with Steam?

As Swift already said, the MP servers are not hosted by SMS but by Steam.

spinelli
16-09-2015, 11:41
Why do my personal Steam settings screw up and limit a basic functionality of a videogame like being able to have access/connection to play with people all around the world? It's 2015, not 1995 at the dawn of online gaming. Can someone please enlighten me on what the problem is? I can play against Aussies', Europeans, Asians, South Americans etc. just fine in other games....Why does Steam care what server I join and what people I want to play a video game with?

Shepard2603
16-09-2015, 11:42
Point this question to the steam support.

Edit: You might come across the fact, that e.g an US based player and an Asia based player might have some lags and glitches due to long/bad internet connection. It seems that steam does not want to let this influence the "user experience" and therefore has these restrictions.

Umer Ahmad
16-09-2015, 11:56
Just set you steam download region to UK - London and you should see a bunch more lobbies. Thats what i do

NuclearPenguin
16-09-2015, 12:03
Why do my personal Steam settings screw up and limit a basic functionality of a videogame like being able to have access/connection to play with people all around the world? It's 2015, not 1995 at the dawn of online gaming. Can someone please enlighten me on what the problem is? I can play against Aussies', Europeans, Asians, South Americans etc. just fine in other games....Why does Steam care what server I join and what people I want to play a video game with?

To make a better online experience. For example it helps a lot in the game Dark Souls 1 where people in another country would teleport behind you and you'll be dead without knowing what happened. Not sure how bad it'll be with Pcars since I haven't really tried connecting to really far away people but with my current settings I already have a few who teleport around the track and cause accidents this way in pub matches.

spinelli
16-09-2015, 12:21
I've done hundreds if not thousands of nose-to-tail laps in other sims mostly with people from Australia, South America, and western Europe (England, Italy, etc.) just fine for years in rFactor, rFactor 2, iRacing, and Stock Car Extreme.

Why is there a region setting in-game? If Steam forcibly hard-filters you out of every region except your own then why the misleading in-game one?

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if the player could "hack" the system by alt-tabbing/shift-tabbing out of game into Steam, quickly changing the Steam download location, and then alt-tabbing/shift-tabbing back in game and refreshing the server. The problem is that Steam needs to do a restart if you change download location, and it can't restart unless you exit out of PCars too. So basically you need to exit the game, change download location, restart steam, restart game, check servers, and repeat if necessary. What an absolutely pointless mess.

No other games are like this. AC, SCE, RF, I believe RaceRoom, Race 07, GTR Evo, etc. Why can't SMS just give us the freedom to play with anybody we want? None of this background Steam stuff forcibly hard-locking and restricting you from the whole world besides your own region...

Charger
16-09-2015, 12:37
Try playing something like Call of Duty in the wrong region and see how that goes, it's not a problem with racing though we play people all over the world and there is usually very little to no lag at all, is it such a big job clicking a button playing the game having fun and then when finished clicking that button again to revert to your local region for other games? I think not ;)

Also as NuclearPenguin mentioned when the lag is bad in PCars it causes an absolute mess with cars warping here and there and rubber banding, you can't overtake them as you never know where they are.

Haiden
16-09-2015, 13:21
I've done hundreds if not thousands of nose-to-tail laps in other sims mostly with people from Australia, South America, and western Europe (England, Italy, etc.) just fine for years in rFactor, rFactor 2, iRacing, and Stock Car Extreme.

Why is there a region setting in-game? If Steam forcibly hard-filters you out of every region except your own then why the misleading in-game one?

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if the player could "hack" the system by alt-tabbing/shift-tabbing out of game into Steam, quickly changing the Steam download location, and then alt-tabbing/shift-tabbing back in game and refreshing the server. The problem is that Steam needs to do a restart if you change download location, and it can't restart unless you exit out of PCars too. So basically you need to exit the game, change download location, restart steam, restart game, check servers, and repeat if necessary. What an absolutely pointless mess.

No other games are like this. AC, SCE, RF, I believe RaceRoom, Race 07, GTR Evo, etc. Why can't SMS just give us the freedom to play with anybody we want? None of this background Steam stuff forcibly hard-locking and restricting you from the whole world besides your own region...

Perhaps you should go play one of those other games then, since PCars seems to be too much of a hassle for you.

TrevorAustin
16-09-2015, 14:14

Jesus,

IT'S NOT IN THE GAME.

It's a steam setting. let's hope you don't find it.

ex_
16-09-2015, 17:39
Trevor, he just said "why the misleading setting in the game", not that it was the game's fault...

The point is, if Steam is going to restrict your servers, then why does the filter in the game present itself as allowing those foreign servers? Poor coordination of menu design at the very least, and that is "in the game".

Charger
17-09-2015, 03:52
Oh look I changed my Steam region to the US and destroyed them, whoops better change it back and be humble, maybe the game is just toooooo European for you gun slingers, oh this game is designed for cars that brake and corner, I'm making a left turnnnnnn!

Paulo Ribeiro
17-09-2015, 08:43
Oh look I changed my Steam region to the US and destroyed them, whoops better change it back and be humble, maybe the game is just toooooo European for you gun slingers, oh this game is designed for cars that brake and corner, I'm making a left turnnnnnn!

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/0/4/7/7/6/3/4/cat-not-this-62077488844.jpeg

marcdxn
17-09-2015, 12:25
Region must be the issue then because im on the PC in the UK and hosted a public 20 user GT3 tour.
The lobby was full for 3 circuits that i hosted.

The lobby had plenty of other games running at the time

Charger
17-09-2015, 15:51

My brain was not present when I wrote that lol.

funknerraw
17-09-2015, 16:39
Just set you steam download region to UK - London and you should see a bunch more lobbies. Thats what i do

Does this actually do anything anymore since PCars updated their server browser so it now shows plenty of empty servers as well? In my testing, no matter what I set my download location in Steam to now, it always shows the same server lists, whether I choose Vancouver Canada or London UK. It used to make a difference but not since the update to the server browser. Can anyone test and tell me whether they do actually get other servers listed when they change their download region?

I think it's just not many people play in North American evenings anymore, and the people who say there are always lots of players, play during European primetime, which is the afternoon in North America when most of us are at work.

If someone could test and actually tell me if they do still get different server lists depending on their download location that would be really great because maybe I can get more people to show in the evenings in North America by changing my settings, but I have a really strong feeling it doesn't make a difference anymore.

Flat_out
17-09-2015, 16:46
Xbox is like a ghost town too.Went on today and at one point there was 2 yes 2 lobbies available in the UK.

At the max I have seen about 10 available with about 30 players!

spinelli
17-09-2015, 20:00
Jesus,

IT'S NOT IN THE GAME.

It's a steam setting. let's hope you don't find it.Before replying, much less "shouting" (all caps) at people, it helps to read the post so as to not look like you're illiterate or just a tool.

Try playing something like Call of Duty in the wrong region and see how that goes, it's not a problem with racing though we play people all over the world and there is usually very little to no lag at all, is it such a big job clicking a button playing the game having fun and then when finished clicking that button again to revert to your local region for other games? I think not ;)What you explained is of course not a problem. But that's not the process. The process is something like the following: start PCars, check servers, quit game, change region, restart Steam, start game, check servers, quit game, change region, restart steam, start game, etc. etc. etc. and do that at-least 4 times (North America, South America, western Europe, Australia) if not more (in-case Steam considers parts of those areas as seperate regions, for eg. North-West U.S/Canada and South-East U.S. Canada and/or if you want to check other parts of the world (Russia and the rest of eastern Europe, Asia, etc.). That is ridiculous.

Anyways, it is what it is.

Does this actually do anything anymore since PCars updated their server browser so it now shows plenty of empty servers as well? In my testing, no matter what I set my download location in Steam to now, it always shows the same server lists, whether I choose Vancouver Canada or London UK. It used to make a difference but not since the update to the server browser. Can anyone test and tell me whether they do actually get other servers listed when they change their download region?I hope that's not the case.

321Respawn
17-09-2015, 21:35
Well as of right now at 23:30 South Africa time there are 135 people in the MP lobby .Unfortunately those lobbies consist of many 3 to 5 players and only 2 crash fest lobbies with 20+ players .

yeobt
18-09-2015, 04:30
and you have 20/20 players in the house but the game was not starting becos no one clicked vote to start.
no, actually some were running in the qualifying round and some players were waiting inside the room wondering what was wrong.
seriously this game has many broken issues needed to be fixed b4 i start playing again.

creepyd
18-09-2015, 20:19
I have had the same problem since 3.0 released, suddenly no players.
Now 4.0 is out, still no players.
I'm set to London - UK, my nearest setting in steam, but I don't see why that should matter.

Right now I see 3 servers with a total of 6 players, then another 30 or so empty.
I used to see at least 40 nicely filled servers.

DECATUR PLAYA
18-09-2015, 20:39
I have had the same problem since 3.0 released, suddenly no players.
Now 4.0 is out, still no players.
I'm set to London - UK, my nearest setting in steam, but I don't see why that should matter.

Right now I see 3 servers with a total of 6 players, then another 30 or so empty.
I used to see at least 40 nicely filled servers.

I commented in another thread about a bug we call room death. Basically at some point the room leaves the server browser although it's still up and running. We have not figured out what causes it but it normally occurs around the same time somebody gets kicked. It's really random. This is how we know about it because a guy in our party will get kicked and can't get back in the room then that guy goes to browser and the room is not there even though im still running the room. The room at this point stops getting traffic and may start to act weird with frame rate stutter and other different things. When we get it we just restart the room and invite everybody back and it's back to normal. This is on xbox.

Umer Ahmad
18-09-2015, 20:42
I commented in another thread about a bug we call room death. Basically at some point the room leaves the server browser although it's still up and running. We have not figured out what causes it but it normally occurs around the same time somebody gets kicked. It's really random. This is how we know about it because a guy in our party will get kicked and can't get back in the room then that guy goes to browser and the room is not there even though im still running the room. The room at this point stops getting traffic and may start to act weird with frame rate stutter and other different things. When we get it we just restart the room and invite everybody back and it's back to normal. This is on xbox.

Please let me know if it happens after patch4 hits xbox, then i will notify the team.

DECATUR PLAYA
18-09-2015, 21:49
Please let me know if it happens after patch4 hits xbox, then i will notify the team.

Will do.

creepyd
19-09-2015, 07:20
Interesting about the room bug, but surely people don't get kicked often enough for me to see 37 empty rooms and just 6 with players in.
Oddly there are more people playing now early on a Saturday morning than on a Friday night, that doesn't seem right.

I wonder if those 37 rooms are the same ones I could see yesterday, simply stuck there and clogging up the browser, not allowing populated ones to appear? - I'll check again later.

Darkris
19-09-2015, 08:03
Hello Folks !

Actually, 38 rooms online and ... all empty :mad:
I just had a look yesterday after patching and same, only empty rooms ...

Well, online races will be a bit boring :o

BioForce
19-09-2015, 08:10
Hello Folks !

Actually, 38 rooms online and ... all empty :mad:
I just had a look yesterday after patching and same, only empty rooms ...

Well, online races will be a bit boring :o

The dedicated servers need to be updated. Take a look here (http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/servers)

Darkris
19-09-2015, 10:49
The dedicated servers need to be updated. Take a look here (http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/servers)

Ok, thanks for the info !
Hope they will be updated soon :p

rimajo
19-09-2015, 17:18
i think you must Change your location in the steam settings to UK or something in Europe, and you should see more online lobbies. http://wigunpics.science/17/g.png