PDA

View Full Version : Replay System Test Results - Issues found.

falcon2081
16-09-2015, 06:10
I'm sure as most of you know the pCars replay system has had quite a few issues since the game came out. Some of these major issues include stuck/missing cars on the grid, wrong livery from what you choose, invisible cars running around the track, etc. I consider the replay system a integral part of the multiplayer experience. Nothing is more frustrating than having a awesome battle with a group of people where you save the replay only to find out it bugged out. Ruining your chances of showing off that last lap pass you made on your friends. I decided on making some tests to try and narrow down why the replay was bugging itself out. Bare in mind that this will be somewhat long but let's start.

I made sure to run these tests more than once.

10 to 11 players on the grid.
Practice to Qualifying to Race - Tested with JIP and no JIP.
Qualifying to Race - Same as above.
Warmup to Race - Same as above.
Straight to Race - This automatically means no JIP.

Results: The join in progress seems to be the culprit. When none of the players left the lobby and got through all the sessions no one reported bugged replay's. Everyone had the right cars, the correct liveries, etc. However, I made some players leave and come back during the practice and qualifying session. What we found out was that most had bugged replay's. Especially those that stayed in the server and got through all the sessions. Most of the JIP people had 1 or 2 cars missing or stuck. We interestingly had 2 people who JIP have no issues with their replays whatsoever. So it appears that it's a mixed bag of how badly the replay will be messed up. We are confident enough to say that as long as players do not join in progress there will not be any issues with the replay file. I grabbed some pictures from the different replay's of the players who tested with me. So check them out in the bottom so you can see the differences. I also have all the replay's from most of the players who tested with me. I kept 2 replay's from each player. One was a No JIP Replay and the other was JIP. That way the Dev's can compare the replay's and see what's going on. I will most likely forward the replay files to Elmo from SMS. I would like to thank all the TGC members who helped me out for the test. I would also like for this community to test the replay system themselves and post their results. The more data we get for SMS the sooner we can get this fixed!

Just for reference this is the correct grid start which coincidentally came from one of the JIP players Gio. The only one who had a correct replay. Take notice of the start positions and the car liveries.

My POV: You can see I have missing cars. 4 stuck cars on the grid. I also had 2 cars inside of each other.

Gopher's POV: He was missing P1 player. Had 4 stuck on the grid. Also had 2 cars inside the others on the grid.

Puffpirat's POV: He was one of the players I asked to JIP. His start grid isn't that bad missing one car. Although he has 2 stuck cars and one car inside another.

Moe's POV: Missing cars. Car inside another car.

Cluck's POV: Another JIP player. He's actually another one who didn't have issues with his replay except that his replay had all the wrong liverie's on the car's.

Something unrelated but I noticed that when I viewed someone else's 2 replay files the game produced 3 junk files. Why is this?

Bealdor
16-09-2015, 06:22
Thanks for the detailed bug report mate! I've notified the devs about this (and your available replay files).

falcon2081
16-09-2015, 06:25
Thanks for the detailed bug report mate! I've notified the devs about this (and your available replay files).

Yup no problem! Now off to bed as this took forever to write haha.

Giovtec
16-09-2015, 06:25
Very detailed, Good work Falcon!!! :eagerness:

cluck
16-09-2015, 07:23
Just to note, when I watched my replay I didn't notice the incorrect liveries (mostly because I wasn't paying that much attention to them :o) but as P1 pulled away in front of me, a car was left on the grid in that grid spot.

EDIT : I'll watch the replay again this evening, ahead of the TGC race, to see if the replay still shows that problem. If it does, I'll try and capture the problem in video (will only need to capture a few seconds).

Nomad06
16-09-2015, 08:19
Same issues/problems and senerios with the ps4...been since day one. Also it seems there is a 1gb cap on replays??

AB_Attack
16-09-2015, 09:28
Good work Falcon, for sure. Outstanding really. :loyal:

Yorkie065
16-09-2015, 09:29
Just to note, when I watched my replay I didn't notice the incorrect liveries (mostly because I wasn't paying that much attention to them :o) but as P1 pulled away in front of me, a car was left on the grid in that grid spot.

From what I've seen with this, it appears that the shell of the correct car and livery is there at the start, but is stationary and the car that moves (seems to get spawned inside the shell of the stationary car) is different car or different livery. There's a possibility of it not being consistent though and the stationary car not always being correct. I've got limited experience with replays :P

Also, did you test with people JUST leaving the session and NOT rejoining and seeing if that has an effect on the replay?

Pamellaaa
16-09-2015, 09:52
From what I've seen with this, it appears that the shell of the correct car and livery is there at the start, but is stationary and the car that moves (seems to get spawned inside the shell of the stationary car) is different car or different livery. There's a possibility of it not being consistent though and the stationary car not always being correct. I've got limited experience with replays :P

Also, did you test with people JUST leaving the session and NOT rejoining and seeing if that has an effect on the replay?

The tests were all people leaving and then rejoining, it seems to be whenever anyone joins in progress the issue occurs, if everyone is in from the start and stays in the problem doesn't occur.

Yorkie065
16-09-2015, 10:14
The tests were all people leaving and then rejoining, it seems to be whenever anyone joins in progress the issue occurs, if everyone is in from the start and stays in the problem doesn't occur.

Yeh I saw that, but I'm just thinking that if people don't return when they leave, or DC, it eliminates the possibility of the issue coming from them disconnecting and like you say, point it to them JIP being the issue. Also were those who you told to leave, there in the lobby before the session was launched, or did they join in half way through say quali or practice without being there when the session launched?

My theory behind it being is that when a player leaves the lobby, the car and it's livery isn't cleared from the replay system properly, so when they rejoin, it is already taken and therefore automatically get assigned a random car and livery in it's place which is obviously incorrect. This then leaves the shell of the correct car in the correct grid position, but it's stationary as there player has been assigned a new car and livery in the replay system. This obviously has all the input data of the player driving the car, and is therefore the one that moves in the replay, leaving the old behind. As for multiple players running same car and livery, I imagine the choices get saved to the replay system at the start of the session so it's not affected until they either leave or rejoin.

Just trying to eliminate as many possibilities as possible and really focus down on the cause of the issue.

FLX81
16-09-2015, 10:21
The issue is indeed happening on PS4 as well. Had an epic race against a guy in a green No Regret R8 LMS and a blue MC12 GT3 last week. In the replay, three cars are stuck on the grid, we drive through two of them every lap. Instead of an R8 LMS, the replay shows a BMW M3 GT2, the blue Mc Laren has the wrong livery (white). There was a qualifying session before the race where people JIPd, so did I. And of course some frustrated backmarkers left the race as well.

rocafella1978
16-09-2015, 11:10
+1 @FLX81 - was about to post similar experience you had on PS4, same here. in replay cars were completely different than originally driven by human players in MP and AI drivers in MP session.

madmax2069
16-09-2015, 11:43
Same issues/problems and senerios with the ps4...been since day one. Also it seems there is a 1gb cap on replays??

That 1GB limit is a limit SONY themselves put into place on the PS4.

falcon2081
16-09-2015, 14:59

I had done a test earlier that covered that. The replay would still be bugged. The person who disconnected, his car would literally be under the track world or sometimes up in the sky. Sometimes you would just see an empty spot on the grid or the car would just be stuck.

Yeh I saw that, but I'm just thinking that if people don't return when they leave, or DC, it eliminates the possibility of the issue coming from them disconnecting and like you say, point it to them JIP being the issue. Also were those who you told to leave, there in the lobby before the session was launched, or did they join in half way through say quali or practice without being there when the session launched?

The people were already in the lobby before we launched into the Practice session. During the Practice session I asked them to leave and re-join. I also had one player JIP on us during the Qual only. His replay was bugged as well. It doesn't matter at what point they join the session as they will most likely still suffer from a bugged replay.

My theory behind it being is that when a player leaves the lobby, the car and it's livery isn't cleared from the replay system properly, so when they rejoin, it is already taken and therefore automatically get assigned a random car and livery in it's place which is obviously incorrect. This then leaves the shell of the correct car in the correct grid position, but it's stationary as there player has been assigned a new car and livery in the replay system. This obviously has all the input data of the player driving the car, and is therefore the one that moves in the replay, leaving the old behind. As for multiple players running same car and livery, I imagine the choices get saved to the replay system at the start of the session so it's not affected until they either leave or rejoin.

Just trying to eliminate as many possibilities as possible and really focus down on the cause of the issue.

Agreed on that. I also remember a while back the game uses some sort of index number for the players. If players leave and rejoin with a different index number I could see this affecting the replay system as well. I've already forwarded the dev's the replay files. They should be able to debug much easier the files and see what's going on. But the important part was to narrow down as to why it was happening which I believe we did.

Nomad06
16-09-2015, 17:53
That 1GB limit is a limit SONY themselves put into place on the PS4.

Interesting. This must've just of been applied as I have saved bigger files just on the weekend. ..not aware of any recent updates

madmax2069
16-09-2015, 20:01
Interesting. This must've just of been applied as I have saved bigger files just on the weekend. ..not aware of any recent updates

Its always been the case, game saves are limited to a max of 1gb on PS4, and I think 512MB on xbox one I do believe.