PDA

View Full Version : Can bad connections cause grip issues?

stoogie13
16-09-2015, 16:22
Every now and then when racing online I'll put in some great laps then for no apparent reason I just lose loads of grip and can't keep the car on the track.. This happened today...
Qualified 2nd at dubai in a gt3 race but then couldn't get anywhere near my time again.. Luckily nobody else could either lol..
Anyway, race started and the grip levels were shocking.. Lost the back end and let the pack through and rejoined.. Lap 3 and I'm just passing the other back markers when I end up behind on guy who's car is glitching and jumping all over the track.. This went on for about half a lap until he eventually disconnected boom... All my grip was back and the car drove great again and I was even beating my qualifying time.. Was this just coincidence or can somebody with some knowledge confirm this..?

Gravit8
16-09-2015, 18:56
Every now and then when racing online I'll put in some great laps then for no apparent reason I just lose loads of grip and can't keep the car on the track.. This happened today...
Qualified 2nd at dubai in a gt3 race but then couldn't get anywhere near my time again.. Luckily nobody else could either lol..
Anyway, race started and the grip levels were shocking.. Lost the back end and let the pack through and rejoined.. Lap 3 and I'm just passing the other back markers when I end up behind on guy who's car is glitching and jumping all over the track.. This went on for about half a lap until he eventually disconnected boom... All my grip was back and the car drove great again and I was even beating my qualifying time.. Was this just coincidence or can somebody with some knowledge confirm this..?

Looks like you did a pretty good job of trouble shooting where it came from and what/who the problem was.
I'd say yes it can. And you've proved it. Lag causes all kind of wonky stuff. Definitely not the first time I've heard mention of loss of grip in online. I've heard leagues talk about moving lap times plenty.
Your telemetry might be valuable, but I doubt your tires changed temps or anything. I think it has as much to do with frame rates and perceived grip relative to perceived speed if I had a guess at it.

stoogie13
16-09-2015, 19:05
Yeah I race in a couple of leagues and there's usually some kind of difference in lap times but today was a pretty definitive change.. I've got the M3 gt3 car set up pretty solid so going from sliding around to back on rails as soon as the disconnection happened kind of convinced me... I seem to remember this happening on gran turismo 5 back in the day so it's probably always going to be an issue... Just good to know it's not always me driving bad lol.