PDA

View Full Version : Turn 1

DECATUR PLAYA
16-09-2015, 21:22
Turn 1 is a big problem on this game and it's been a problem on most racing games that I have played but I noticed something a little different in P cars and just thought I would get a conversation going on the issue.

500 online races
221 hours of gameplay
96 wins
Almost 300 podiums
4 DNF

The crashing and wrecking is a big problem with the game especially if you read these forums. My personal feelings is that it's mostly guys making mistakes and not intentional rammers or wreckers. If game chat was working better it would be evident but because game chat is shaky you just don't know if the wreck was intentional or not. Anytime I get hit i feel that I have been done wrong as many of you do but then I remember how easy it is to make a mistake in P cars. I also try to remember how aggressively I drive and how others may feel about moves I make out on the track.

What I noticed was that the more talented drivers seem to not get caught up in the turn 1 crash fest. Race after race after race the same drivers come out of turn 1 racing for the lead. So I decided to put a little info here to show how I deal with turn 1.

1) Qualifying is super important. It's not just important to start up front it's important to start as far forward as possible 5th or 6th isn't bad. Reason being the guys at the front normally have good acceleration off the line and you want to get into that space that they create when they take off.

2) Dont race thru turn 1 just survive it. You can't brake normally going into turn 1 the other guys will run you over or make a mistake and ram you. If a guy is following you to close into the turn be prepared to lock your brakes up for the hit and keep them locked after the hit because if you release them before the weight transfers the hit will still knock you off the track.

3) Be prepared for the magnet bug. The wrong kind of contact in the turn will cause the cars to stick together and both cars accelerating will only make the problem worse.

4) Protect the car with the turn. Most accidents happen going into the turn and at the very beginning of the turn. If you can quickly get the car into the turn then the biggest problem after that is the magnet "bug".

Once your clear of Turn 1 is when the actual race starts. The best know this and plan for it. Guys still get me in turn 1 from time to time but not much. Most of the time once I clear turn 1 I'm either in the lead or I have a really good shot at the leaders. Hope this helps some of you guys.

Umer Ahmad
16-09-2015, 21:41
Great advice. See quote in my signature. Agree with 4, hurry ul and turn-in and watch the too-late brakers sail straight off in your rearview mirror.

I started doing this new thing now where i flash my lights just prior to the brake zone to simulate me pumping the brakes and hopefully get the noobs behind me to pay attention that we're about to enter the brake zone. Sometimes people got their vision/focus on other stuff going into T1

Watch at 0:26

http://youtu.be/nM8sjYNK_Iw

svenvangent
16-09-2015, 21:43
Thank you some good info Decaturs finest

mantukas334
16-09-2015, 21:46
3) Be prepared for the magnet bug. The wrong kind of contact in the turn will cause the cars to stick together and both cars accelerating will only make the problem worse.
if you are talking about when cars touch sides, and both cannot turn and just goes straight. its the worst

Mr.Smoke
16-09-2015, 21:59
Its almost better to start at the back & just watch the carnage through tuns 1 and 2 while being patient. If the race is 5+ laps i can typically still finish on the podium doing this. Being on the front row & getting a good launch from the line can work well too, but if you jump it, your race is OVER!!

DECATUR PLAYA
16-09-2015, 22:01
if you are talking about when cars touch sides, and both cannot turn and just goes straight. its the worst

Yeah that's it. Wish I had more time to put up more info but I'm at work so I had to do it kind of quick.

DECATUR PLAYA
16-09-2015, 22:03
Its almost better to start at the back & just watch the carnage through tuns 1 and 2 while being patient. If the race is 5+ laps i can typically still finish on the podium doing this. Being on the front row & getting a good launch from the line can work well too, but if you jump it, your race is OVER!!

Started 10th a week ago at Monza and after turn 1 i was racing the leader.

Flaw3dGenius
16-09-2015, 22:24
Great advice. See quote in my signature. Agree with 4, hurry ul and turn-in and watch the too-late brakers sail straight off in your rearview mirror.

I started doing this new thing now where i flash my lights just prior to the brake zone to simulate me pumping the brakes and hopefully get the noobs behind me to pay attention that we're about to enter the brake zone. Sometimes people got their vision/focus on other stuff going into T1

Watch at 0:26

http://youtu.be/nM8sjYNK_Iw

How would flashing your lights warn people behind you?

edit: Nevermind since your putting your lights on and off rather than flashing :dejection:

ONT
16-09-2015, 22:43
I say take out turn 1 from all the tracks.....solves all problems and we just go straight for turn 2 :cool:

Vennt
16-09-2015, 23:58
The two pieces of advice I learned with online sim racing long ago that have helped me with turn one in online races are:

1) To finish first, first you have to finish

and

2) You can't win a race at turn one, only lose it.

As true today as ever.

Mr.Smoke
17-09-2015, 03:15
Well put!!

Ian Bell
17-09-2015, 06:05
I read the title and thought this was an abuse thread about Turn 10...

hkraft300
17-09-2015, 06:10
Happens just as much in real life. F1 Italian GP, anyone?
So yes, very valid information.
Suppose we are always quick to blame another but you have to consider: can the guy close behind even see his brake marker? Have I left enough space for the guy next to me to get through the turn without contact? Have I slowed early and enough to not hit the guy in front and given enough warning to the guy behind? Did I get a bad launch that someone fast from the back of the grid may not be able to avoid contact and should I pull to the side to give them space, or should I stay on my line? Is the car next to me far enough in front that I should yield position? Am I far enough in front of the next guy that he can see me and will yield, if he yields at all? A lot of things to consider, plan, adapt and execute in the first 10-15 seconds. Often the group stays right and subsequent corners need the same amount of discretion.

Getting through turn 1 is made all the more difficult in a sim for those of us without VR or triple screens. We don't have the luxury of peripheral vision. Some use a wider FOV for the visibility, some keep it true to the screen size/distance and are further limited. Some use helmet cam so the noise of the car beside is muted.

Chevi
17-09-2015, 07:35
I agree. Open (!) online races are 25 % rodeo 25 % destruction derby 25 % luck 25 % stock car and 87,4 % anger. ;)
It is not only the turn 1...

That is why I prefer a) to race with friends in invitation lobbies b) to drive in offline races (career mode)

lollygag
17-09-2015, 07:46
The two pieces of advice I learned with online sim racing long ago that have helped me with turn one in online races are:

1) To finish first, first you have to finish

and

2) You can't win a race at turn one, only lose it.

As true today as ever.

I dont agree.. For me the race is won at turn 1. I typically start at pole after qualifying, and if Im lucky enuf to get thru turn 1 unscathed, I'm usually home free.

mantukas334
17-09-2015, 08:07
I dont agree.. For me the race is won at turn 1. I typically start at pole after qualifying, and if Im lucky enuf to get thru turn 1 unscathed, I'm usually home free.

i can relate, if there are more skilled driver. he goes successfully through turn 1, i was cautious on lets say i gave him 5s, doesnt matter what possition i am, there is no way to catch him and pass him in 5 laps

hkraft300
17-09-2015, 08:23

Maybe in 5-10 lap public lobby races, and/or if you're super fast. I've won plenty of races after qualifying middle of the pack or back, being 3-5 seconds/lap off the pace, with consistency pit strategy and avoiding incidents. I don't have your talent, bud! So I have to utilise everything else to max my chances ;) we don't all have it like Lewis Hamilton unfortunately.

DECATUR PLAYA
17-09-2015, 08:59

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

FLX81
17-09-2015, 09:03
3)if you are talking about when cars touch sides, and both cannot turn and just goes straight. its the worst

This. Besides rammers, this is by far pcars biggest online issue and I really, really hope this is very high priority on Ians secret list.

Mascot
17-09-2015, 09:14
The OP is good advice but I'd simply advise everybody to seek out private lobbies with like-minded racers. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and it's a game changer - I will NEVER race in a public lobby again. All it takes is one idiot to ruin the experience for fifteen other people, and you can guarantee that every public lobby will have at least one idiot.

There are plenty of threads here and elsewhere where you can team up with good, clean racers.

Fre.Mo
17-09-2015, 09:28
I agree there are many idiots ruining public lobby races, but as I am concerned I don't enjoy driving against the IA because it drives like a train on rails...

DECATUR PLAYA
17-09-2015, 09:30
Happens just as much in real life. F1 Italian GP, anyone?
So yes, very valid information.
Suppose we are always quick to blame another but you have to consider: can the guy close behind even see his brake marker? Have I left enough space for the guy next to me to get through the turn without contact? Have I slowed early and enough to not hit the guy in front and given enough warning to the guy behind? Did I get a bad launch that someone fast from the back of the grid may not be able to avoid contact and should I pull to the side to give them space, or should I stay on my line? Is the car next to me far enough in front that I should yield position? Am I far enough in front of the next guy that he can see me and will yield, if he yields at all? A lot of things to consider, plan, adapt and execute in the first 10-15 seconds. Often the group stays right and subsequent corners need the same amount of discretion.

Getting through turn 1 is made all the more difficult in a sim for those of us without VR or triple screens. We don't have the luxury of peripheral vision. Some use a wider FOV for the visibility, some keep it true to the screen size/distance and are further limited. Some use helmet cam so the noise of the car beside is muted.

Agreed.

I just find this game to often times be more strategy than speed. Speed is deadly when you no how to use it. Speed is no good after being rammed into the cut track zone and getting a 5-10 second penalty. I have seen a lot of guys get first in qualifying and lose the race A LOT! I have seen some alien fast guys lose the race right there in turn 1. Being fast is good. Being smart and fast is better.

DECATUR PLAYA
17-09-2015, 09:54
The OP is good advice but I'd simply advise everybody to seek out private lobbies with like-minded racers. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and it's a game changer - I will NEVER race in a public lobby again. All it takes is one idiot to ruin the experience for fifteen other people, and you can guarantee that every public lobby will have at least one idiot.

There are plenty of threads here and elsewhere where you can team up with good, clean racers.

I like public lobbies because I like meeting people. For every 1 jackass I meet in public lobbies I meet like 20 good people so I will take the trade off. Also I think public lobbies build the community. How will guys learn how to race if all the people who know how to race are locked up in private rooms. I understand leagues and big events for private rooms it's really the only way to run those races but the community needs public room racing. I guess to each his own. My public room races are great. The only idiots that really mess up races are the guys that sit out on the track and I really don't get these type of guys often.

chig88
17-09-2015, 11:16

Give it time......

leithnow
18-09-2015, 00:57
Give it time......

To be fair, I started one here in general discussion saying how much better PCARS looks compared to Forza, try to get that ball rolling, but instead I got a link for the Off Topic thread related to forza...as in "don't post stuff related to Forza here." Then they moved my thread there and merged it with that one.

Kroegtijgertje
18-09-2015, 07:06
That's why I only drive black cars, because colors will keep on turning :smiley_simmons: