PDA

View Full Version : Thank you SMS - I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat!

JudgeNutmeg
16-09-2015, 23:24
Sorry if this doesn't warrant a new thread but I wanted to say thanks to SMS for giving me the game I was expecting project Cars to be. These are strictly my views on the game as it plays for me and it is a genuine thank you.

After enjoying the early Toca games on Playstation and the BTCC battles around the British circuits, I have been waiting all this time for a game to give me that same feeling. Although I played Gran Turismo for many an hour, it was not a racing game as the AI did not offer a race.

I have just completed 2 20 lap races around Donington on Project Cars, with 16 AI, single make BMW M3 GT3 and have come away grinning all over! The second race was just me and 2 other AI cars battling for 4th place for about 15 laps until I overdid it coming out of one bend and went off track, to finally finish in 9th. It is the most enjoyable racing I have had on console for ages.

Now, I don't race open wheel, I am more of a touring car kind of chap, but I love the AI in this game! Apart from the first corner shenanigans sometimes, if you race them as real life racers, give them room when they need it, back off if your gap isn't there, plan your moves ahead, then for me, the racing is sublime.

A bit of patience helped me initially. I preordered the game and day 1 I took the Renault clio out of the pits at Donington and straight off into the gravel, this happened a further 10 times at which point I noticed the blue tyre icons! After teetering round a couple of laps it all fell in to place when the tyres warmed up. Practicing and learning how to race properly against the AI suddenly gave me that racing feeling again.

For the 39.99 I paid, if Project Cars had just contained Clios and GT3 cars I would have been over the moon. I don't really have much interest in LMP's and such like but will try them out at some stage. Also, the car modelling is superb, So good that I didn't really notice it until I took a step back from the racing to actually have a good look.
I also only use a Dualshock controller on the PS4, but I use the motion controls for steering. I am so glad this was patched in as since that day i couldn't go back to using the sticks. The implementation of the motion control just feels so natural.

So thanks again to all the team at SMS, I can only speak as I find, and for me Project Cars is just what I wanted from a racing game and I am spending far to much time on it! Roll on more DLC ( although given I only race a few cars will I need it........Of course I will!)

Vennt
16-09-2015, 23:53
Tin tops at Donington is one of the first things I had to do when I got Project Cars, and something I put a few laps / races in each time I play, but then it is pretty much my local track. (23 miles away!)

Love driving past my usual viewing spot, makes me smile every time. :)

cmch15
17-09-2015, 00:02
First car I drove was the RS500 at Donington. This was the car I was most looking forward to. I can't remember now but I'm sure there was a few "off's".

I've spent so much time doing invitational events in the historic classes that I have only just started my second season in Clio's.

I have enjoyed racing the AI, they're not perfect but they give a good race most of the time. I have noticed since Patch 3.0 though, they are more competitive in Quali but easier to beat in the race now, and I have found I have been pulling away easier.

Aizcold
17-09-2015, 11:51
So thanks again to all the team at SMS, I can only speak as I find, and for me Project Cars is just what I wanted from a racing game and I am spending far to much time on it! Roll on more DLC ( although given I only race a few cars will I need it........Of course I will!)
If you can at any point, try the game out with a wheel. I played on PS4 with a controller for the first few months and loved the game, but now that I have a wheel (a cheap Thrustmaster T100) the game is even better. Even if you're having a terrible race it's just a joy to drive in this game :D Great job SMS!

flymar
17-09-2015, 12:22
Now, I don't race open wheel, I am more of a touring car kind of chap, I'm in the same boat but I urge you to try few laps in F Rookie or F Gulf or crazy Mono. You'll love it:)

Vennt
17-09-2015, 12:27
I'm in the same boat but I urge you to try few laps in F Rookie or F Gulf or crazy Mono. You'll love it:)

The BAC Mono is awesome, so much fun, so forgiving.

If you want a car to use to improve your ability to handle oversteer, then IMO the Mono is it.

It's great fun around Road America (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D2MP1ZuWUI).

m355y
17-09-2015, 12:40
Yeah, that elusive 'feel' of the TOCA games, I've been waiting for something to match that for years and years. That feeling of throwing a BTCC car (or maybe even more, Formula Ford) around Silverstone, feeling the grip of the tyres, reacting to any slight slides, actually having to concentrate on your lines and car control. It seems silly now because we're talking about a game that's getting on for 20 years old, but I've never quite been able to replicate that experience since. TOCA World Touring Cars was good but lost that 'feel'. Even the glitziest Gran Turismo, Forza or whatever, nah not quite. Forza 3 was quite close. RACE Pro was quite close, but yeah, Project Cars seems like the spiritual successor to those first two TOCA games, a racing game without too much glitz and glamour but packed with real, challenging motor racing content. Fair play.

ARNAGEist
17-09-2015, 12:56
23 miles away!

That reminds me I need to get up to Donington again as it's been far too long :hopelessness: