PDA

View Full Version : cut track penalty?

FStarred
17-09-2015, 07:53
This is my experience with formula rookie season:
Snetterton: I'm behind 3 cars, I brutally cut the last chicane gaining one position.
Time lap invalid but my race position was not penalized .
Barcelona: on the race again, I cut several times (at least 3/4 times) but I didn't get any penalty but the invalidation of lap time. Now I wonder.. Why doesn't implement a disqualifying after cutting tracks n times?
Is it possible that I can win race simply cheating in a so easy way??

Paulo Ribeiro
17-09-2015, 08:33
Just don't cheat.
Drive only above that gray thing called tarmac.

FStarred
17-09-2015, 08:38
Just don't cheat.
Drive only above that gray thing called tarmac.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'd never ever thought doing in this way.

My sense of competition and challenge can now sleep in peace

NemethR
17-09-2015, 09:17
This is my experience with formula rookie season:
Snetterton: I'm behind 3 cars, I brutally cut the last chicane gaining one position.
Time lap invalid but my race position was not penalized .
Barcelona: on the race again, I cut several times (at least 3/4 times) but I didn't get any penalty but the invalidation of lap time. Now I wonder.. Why doesn't implement a disqualifying after cutting tracks n times?
Is it possible that I can win race simply cheating in a so easy way??

If you cut 10 times you get DQ

FStarred
17-09-2015, 09:23
If you cut 10 times you get DQ

Didn't know that, but is too little to me, just consider that many races length are less than 10 laps.
Eventought, cutting track and gain a position should be penalized even more (mostly in the end of the race).

DQ should occurs with n times cut where n = % according to total laps.

This is the right way to do it.

NemethR
17-09-2015, 11:06
Didn't know that, but is too little to me, just consider that many races length are less than 10 laps.
Eventought, cutting track and gain a position should be penalized even more (mostly in the end of the race).

DQ should occurs with n times cut where n = % according to total laps.

This is the right way to do it.

True, but try to do a 2.4 hour race at Monza...
When exiting the parabolica, and your car gets dragged to the outer curb its easy to get a cut track, even if you do not cut the track, now imagine you make a few mistakes in the braking zone too, and you will be DQ-es before half the race is over :)

I think it should maybe scale with laps

FStarred
17-09-2015, 11:39
True, but try to do a 2.4 hour race at Monza...
When exiting the parabolica, and your car gets dragged to the outer curb its easy to get a cut track, even if you do not cut the track, now imagine you make a few mistakes in the braking zone too, and you will be DQ-es before half the race is over :)

I think it should maybe scale with laps

Honestly I think this game is too in a early state to do an endurance race (at least the Single mode can be proibitive due to AI rude behavior).
That said, the track cut detection is now much improved so on many races I save the lap time if I simply go out the road without "bad intention".
If is there a specific case track to discuss about is a good thing, but I think the penalty system should be more revisited, because I can't get any satisfaction finishing first and cheating more and more.

Aizcold
17-09-2015, 11:59
Then don't cheat! That's the easiest solution. You say you don't get any satisfaction from it, so don't do it then. Or do have such little self control that even that isn't possible for you?

FStarred
17-09-2015, 12:17
Then don't cheat! That's the easiest solution. You say you don't get any satisfaction from it, so don't do it then. Or do have such little self control that even that isn't possible for you?

You and some other guys mess with this concept:

It's up to the game to let all players following its rules.

creepy coupe
17-09-2015, 14:48
It annoys me that if you get punted off by another driver it cuts your timed lap.

Shinzah
17-09-2015, 14:52
It annoys me that if you get punted off by another driver it cuts your timed lap.

Why does this annoy you? The track limits are the track limits - but if you get punted off by another driver, it's highly unlikely your laptime will be indicative of your pace anyway. It's a very minor thing to be annoyed about unless you're only doing a couple of minutes qualifying lap or something, in which case why would you be so close to other cars who are (in the case of punting you off the road) faster and certainly more aggressive than you?

creepy coupe
17-09-2015, 15:22
Why does this annoy you? The track limits are the track limits - but if you get punted off by another driver, it's highly unlikely your laptime will be indicative of your pace anyway. It's a very minor thing to be annoyed about unless you're only doing a couple of minutes qualifying lap or something, in which case why would you be so close to other cars who are (in the case of punting you off the road) faster and certainly more aggressive than you?

Because they punted me off, which should constitute a driver warning for the driver responsible.Whether it dents my time or not, it shouldn't negate my time.

Shinzah
17-09-2015, 15:28
Because they punted me off, which should constitute a driver warning for the driver responsible.Whether it dents my time or not, it shouldn't negate my time.

This would negate your time regardless. The track limits are the track limits.
If they are enforced, your time gets negated. This is a fact of motorsport. In fact, contact at all in some series is grounds for negated lap times. But unless you are getting black flagged for this or disqualified (or again, it's happening in qualifications.) it really shouldn't be that big of an issue. It is not like your super stonking WR run got destroyed by this. You were warned about the track limits and had a lap time disallowed. It happens.

The guy behind should get a warning if the series would support such warnings and he truly deserved it, but the game logic can't really be perfect on this and the AI drivers don't really get in trouble very often because of the gamelogic. It's very hard to make a game system that polices fairly. Even iracings system is about as good as modern gamelogic can give, and it is a pure compromise for all drivers involved.

rjohns
17-09-2015, 15:33
I don't know what game you are playing, but the AI frequently is too agressive, and punts me off the track, especially at the start of race. And yes, I have been given a cut track penalty when being pushed off of the track by AI. It still needs fixed.

creepy coupe
17-09-2015, 15:36
This would negate your time regardless. The track limits are the track limits.
If they are enforced, your time gets negated. This is a fact of motorsport. In fact, contact at all in some series is grounds for negated lap times. But unless you are getting black flagged for this or disqualified (or again, it's happening in qualifications.) it really shouldn't be that big of an issue. It is not like your super stonking WR run got destroyed by this. You were warned about the track limits and had a lap time disallowed. It happens.

The guy behind should get a warning if the series would support such warnings and he truly deserved it, but the game logic can't really be perfect on this and the AI drivers don't really get in trouble very often because of the gamelogic. It's very hard to make a game system that polices fairly. Even iracings system is about as good as modern gamelogic can give, and it is a pure compromise for all drivers involved.

Providing your "off track" excertion doesn't involve a short cut of the corner. EG a tap from and opponent pushes you wide on a corner, it can only add to you lap time. Which you can possibly make up later in the same lap.And you still might be ahead of the driver behind. In real racing your lap time isn't disregarded if such an incident occurs, so long as you don't gain by it.

Shinzah
17-09-2015, 15:37
The AI has never punted me off the track since patch 3.0

They are aggressive and I have had contact with them sometimes, but I never had one plough into me from behind. Ever. In the passed several days I've been playing the game again.

I am not sure if this is a case of specific tracks or a case of too-high (or even too-low) AI strength, or simply because, maybe, it's a user error. This isn't meant to be condescending, but if you are slowing down for a corner much before the AI is slowing down for a corner, they aren't people and it's not as easy for them to react as maybe people would.

Edit:

Providing your "off track" excertion doesn't involve a short cut of the corner. EG a tap from and opponent pushes you wide on a corner, it can only add to you lap time. Which you can possibly make up later in the same lap.And you still might be ahead of the driver behind. In real racing your lap time isn't disregarded if such an incident occurs, so long as you don't gain by it.

In 'real racing' track limits violations are far more complicated than the old "if you don't gain and advantage" thing. In many cases there might be a hard limit on the track surface (do not go off here ever or your time will be disallowed/you will be penalized for multiple infractions.) The stewards then decide if it is, or isn't an infraction.

But here is the thing. In the top right you can get your lap time list, or you can use an external app like profiler to record the session. Either way these lap times that are getting discredited to you due to contact, are mostly meaningless and can easily still be counted by you and really not worth the time of complaint unless, it is happening in qualification. In which case it was always your responsibility to be in a suitable gap.

If the lap time could be bettered, do it on the next lap. Not a big deal. If you're going as fast as you can and you still get run over by another driver, chances are you're not getting fastest lap of the race anyway.

creepy coupe
17-09-2015, 15:41

They are aggressive and I have had contact with them sometimes, but I never had one plough into me from behind. Ever. In the passed several days I've been playing the game again.

I am not sure if this is a case of specific tracks or a case of too-high (or even too-low) AI strength, or simply because, maybe, it's a user error. This isn't meant to be condescending, but if you are slowing down for a corner much before the AI is slowing down for a corner, they aren't people and it's not as easy for them to react as maybe people would.

We must be planing different games. A1 are forever stomping on the brakes in front of me, with no traffic ahead of them. Or tapping me mid corner battle, which I love BTW. I just don't think should be penalized.

Shinzah
17-09-2015, 15:43
We must be planing different games. A1 are forever stomping on the brakes in front of me, with no traffic ahead of them. Or tapping me mid corner battle, which I love BTW. I just don't think should be penalized.

I've not had AI randomly stomp on the brakes in the racing line, and also I usually leave a fair space that I can react if they do happen to do something in front of me.

Edit: This may be a console related thing, since you said you are playing on xbox one in your other thread. I don't know. But on my platform I simply don't have these problems.

FStarred
17-09-2015, 15:54

Don't know how are you playing and with class you tried but with Formula Rookie getting rammed from the AI is a standard fact

Shinzah
17-09-2015, 16:12
Don't know how are you playing and with class you tried but with Formula Rookie getting rammed from the AI is a standard fact

I started this most recent career in Formula Gulf at 90% AI, and besides one incident that was entirely my fault for not checking my mirrors, I never had any rear contact at all, and the AI was plenty competitive with me, with one race having the entire top four in under a second at the end of the full length distance.

I then went to Formula C, and there's been some hectic starts, but nothing out of the ordinary for hectic starts. I've had issues with AI going super speed through the grass and making cut-track passes on me that frustrated me a bit, and at Sakitto they tended to run into the dirt on the last corner and slow considerably every so often but, still nothing crazy.

I also run the Road TC and Road TD events in my career, and besides a REALLY pesky Lancer that didn't like my Lancer very much and went full postal every time I got alongside him, no issues there, and it was only that one guy so maybe the AI was just angry at me for some reason.

So again, I'm not really sure if this is a console AI issue or not, but I, at least, have not had these problems with the AI.

CPU M Rossi
17-09-2015, 16:33
my biggest problem with the AI in the rookie is the fact they will put a wheel in between mine and I don't know till either the ai car goes flipping or I do as I use the Interior view.