PDA

View Full Version : Ruf CTR Yellowbird: Brake overheating

Ralph B
17-09-2015, 13:09
After I invested a lot of time to make a setup which matches my taste, must say the Yellowbird became one of the favourites. Only one thing I'm a bit curious and sceptic at the same time: the brakes. Couldn't say, it's not effectfull enough - no, works good for a car of that period in general. But the overheating is a permanent problem.
Well, no question that the steel disks heat up more than the ceramic or carbon-brakes of modern race cars. And the Yellowbird wasn't a pure racecar, as it was streetlegal. However, even it's an almost 30 year old car, effective brakes have been build even in the 80th. And Porsche surely was a company, that used the best they could get at that time. And after some readings found out, that RUF had modified and improved the brakes additionally. They used Brembo racing brakes, which had been more the less the best available in the 80th and standart for many high performance- and racing cars.

For this reason I'm a bit sceptic, that only after a half lap at Hockenheim - starting with could brakes - they overheat completely after braking for the hairpin after the Parabolica. Can that be realistic? That the brakes are more sensible against abuse than modern ones, ok - would be reasonable. But a almost complete failure at arround 900 after only one sharp maneuver? Isn't that a bit to much? And I'm a smooth driver! Don't want to know what happens to that drivers, who prefer an agressive, unstable style. I never had any serious trouble with compareable Grp.A cars (Sierra, BMW E30 or the 190E), which are from about the same period and not much slower.
Another examples, where the CTR-brakes fail completely because of overheating, is the first chicane after the finishing straight at Monza GP. And not to forget LeMans! Here it's almost live-treatening, how bad the brakes act even within the first lap!

Did some research, if it was really such a problem with the Yellowbird - but to be eager, Google came up with nothing. So I came to the conclusion, that it's a bit overdone with brake heating in our Bird physics.

SMS, please have a closer look to it and fix it in one of the next patches, if it's really a mistake. It's really a pitty to stay away from that great car because of that possible bug.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
17-09-2015, 21:01
And even if the brakes were like this back then, the devs have already said that for the road cars the intention was to include upgraded brakes on all of them to enable driving more than just a couple of laps before overheating, so why not give this car (and the Mustang 2+2) that treatment as well.

yusupov
17-09-2015, 21:20
i expect this to be addressed in the next patch, i think it was an oversight.

senn
17-09-2015, 21:33
Upgraded brakes, or even adjustable brake ducting would make this car a weapon. Hopefully it is fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
18-09-2015, 08:26
Upgraded brakes, or even adjustable brake ducting would make this car a weapon. Hopefully it is fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.That's actually something I wish would happen: Adjustable brake ducting, 0% being "normal road setting" that overheats on track, 100% being the "track day upgraded setting" that is usable for several laps.

Ralph B
18-09-2015, 09:05
And even if the brakes were like this back then, the devs have already said that for the road cars the intention was to include upgraded brakes on all of them to enable driving more than just a couple of laps before overheating, so why not give this car (and the Mustang 2+2) that treatment as well.

Only a couple of laps? I'd be more than happy to finish only ONE lap without ending in the gravel with glowing brake disks and no braking effect. :mad:

Just found annother killer track for the Yellowbird: Road America at turn 5 (the sharp lefthander after the long downhill straight). No way to brake in a halfways senseful distance. You really have to drive like an old grandpa and slow down half an eternity in front this corner, if you don't want to go straightways or spin, 'cause the slightly cooler rear disks still have some bite, while brake power on the front end is almost zero.

btw: Nice touch this glowing brakedisks in replay! Haven't seen this in pCars until now. Though the animation (nitpicking-alarm!) could need some improvement. Slowly fading in and out of this effect instead of on/off would be a little improvement in realism.

Elmo
19-09-2015, 17:58
After having a quick go at Oulton with the car myself, I agree the overheat and wear too quick. Will notify the guys.

abbo90
20-09-2015, 10:50
Hi, I tried just now the 6 new cars of last DLC, Old vs Modern, and I noticed that the old Ruf CTR, in my opinion, overheats its brakes till 800C and progressively reduces its braking ability.
Hope this can be useful for future update ;)

Elmo
20-09-2015, 11:15
Merged threads.

We are on it.

x ImJakeyy
20-09-2015, 13:51
After having a quick go at Oulton with the car myself, I agree the overheat and wear too quick. Will notify the guys.

Just to say if you do a race with it instead of Free practice, your brakes are at 600F on the grid alone, so 1 or 2 corners in the brakes are cooked.

I did mention this somewhere on the forum when that pack came out but was overlooked :(