PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to change my in-game name please?

artao
17-09-2015, 23:28
Hi there. ... As the thread title asks ...
My favorite online racing group has a rule that we all need to use our real names. I don't recall entering my name, but apparently I did .. but I used my standard nick-name, artao.
I hope this is possible.
Thanks! :D

Charger
18-09-2015, 00:13
You change it in Steam and it transfers to the game.

artao
18-09-2015, 00:39
uh ... CRAP! there's no way i'm changing my Steam nick-name.
So there's no user profile where I can easily just change a field and have it change in-game? I've seen no such files anywhere in my folder structure.

madmax2069
18-09-2015, 00:59
uh ... CRAP! there's no way i'm changing my Steam nick-name.
So there's no user profile where I can easily just change a field and have it change in-game? I've seen no such files anywhere in my folder structure.

Steam settings is where you change your nickname

artao
18-09-2015, 01:04
Steam settings is where you change your nickname
Yeah, uh ... like I said, there is NO CHANCE that I'm going to change my Steam nick-name to my real name. Too many trolls and spammers on Steam to risk having my real name on there.
In that case ...
Dear SMS,
PLEASE allow us to change our profile name in-game. That'd be great.
Thanks.:topsy_turvy:

madmax2069
18-09-2015, 01:07
Yeah, uh ... like I said, there is NO CHANCE that I'm going to change my Steam nick-name to my real name. Too many trolls and spammers on Steam to risk having my real name on there.
In that case ...
Dear SMS,
Thanks.:topsy_turvy:

Its to change your nickname not to use your real name

artao
18-09-2015, 02:33
Its to change your nickname not to use your real name
For the online racing club I'm most involved with, we're supposed to use our real name you see. Thus my question. ;)
What I'm seeing in Steam Settings would change my account nick-name altogether, not just in pCars (which is what I'm looking for. JUST in pCars)

mr_belowski
18-09-2015, 06:58
I'd really like to be able to do this too. Having all those steam nicknames on the timing sheet looks silly, and I can't use them for my crew chief app

Charger
18-09-2015, 07:44
I don't know what the problem is, start Steam go to your friends list and where your name is change it for the racing and when you are finished change it back, it's not permanent, if you are worried about people seeing your real name on Steam while you are playing go to the same drop down bit where you changed your name and go into offline mode while you are playing the game, you will have to start the game first before you go offline, you are still online but invisible.

artao
18-09-2015, 08:58
I don't know what the problem is, start Steam go to your friends list and where your name is change it for the racing and when you are finished change it back, it's not permanent, if you are worried about people seeing your real name on Steam while you are playing go to the same drop down bit where you changed your name and go into offline mode while you are playing the game, you will have to start the game first before you go offline, you are still online but invisible.
well, i suppose that's a viable workaround. but only a workaround.
I don't see what the problem is with being able to change your profile name in-game. Permanently. :smile-new:

Nekrobob
18-09-2015, 09:54
Hi there. ... As the thread title asks ...
My favorite online racing group has a rule that we all need to use our real names. I don't recall entering my name, but apparently I did .. but I used my standard nick-name, artao.
I hope this is possible.
Thanks! :D

This!!

Ernie
21-09-2015, 06:22
In that case ...
Dear SMS,
Thanks.:topsy_turvy:I absolutely support this request.
All simracing leagues i'm driving in are using real names as a requirement, and i'm absolutely fine with it, because it adds to the realism. But no way that i change my steamname to my real name, and also not temporarily as a workaround.

As long as the PCARS profile name is bound to the steamname, it sadly prevents me from participating in PCARS online leagues. And this is very disappointing, because racing in online leagues is the only thing i do in a sim.

artao
21-09-2015, 18:11
Well, that seemed viable, but it's not.
Even when I change my mode to "offline" and then change my Steam name, it STILL sets my visible profile name to whatever I've changed it to.
Regardless why I don't want my real name visible on Steam, it's my choice -- and I most definitely don't want my real name visible on Steam. Why? Doesn't matter, it's my choice. My reasons are my own whether others agree or not.
PLEASE let us do this. As you can see, others feel the same way.

Vennt
21-09-2015, 18:34
Given that the game uses Steams servers for it's online services etc. You might be asking for the impossible.

artao
21-09-2015, 18:46
Given that the game uses Steams servers for it's online services etc. You might be asking for the impossible.

I don't see why that'd be impossible. Every other game I play that uses Steam servers allows me to choose my own in-game name. In fact, pCars is the only game I own that forces me to use my Steam name.

Charger
21-09-2015, 19:09
I don't see why that'd be impossible. Every other game I play that uses Steam servers allows me to choose my own in-game name. In fact, pCars is the only game I own that forces me to use my Steam name.

Most of the ones I play use my Steam name for the game.

I forgot that although you show offline your name is still displayed, you could make your profile private, I'm guessing maybe you're on the run from the law hence the anonymity ;)