PDA

View Full Version : Time Trial Filtering

Mattyd
20-09-2015, 18:24
Hi all,

just wondering whether it would be possible in the future to filter out time trial leaderboards (and ghosts) by vehicle class. I race in a league and it would be handy to be able to see how my times compare to the times being posted by other vehicles in the same class, and to have ghosts from these other vehicles as well.

hkraft300
21-09-2015, 01:52
Filter by car/ sub-class is a good idea. GT leaderboard is smashed by the long tail it would be good to see where the GT3 are. I've posted some times in the Lotus 98T that's in the open wheel leaderboard but a fair way down. Gotta scroll (painfully slowly) to find the best times in that car, or the Sauber/LMP900 cars in the prototype class.
As for ghosts I'd imagine there are limitations to how many.

Beatminister
21-09-2015, 04:17
This was suggested before and found much support among the community. Also SMS is not opposing the idea, but appearently Sony is causing a problem, by limiting the server space available for the game data. It would mean, of course, a drastic increase of the number of tables, exponentially growing with every new car or track.

hkraft300
21-09-2015, 05:45
Ye individual or sub-class (like MP) tables would take more server space, as would ghosts.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a search/filter function on the existing leaderboards. I think that's also what the OP is talking about.
Would implementing a search function really need significantly more server space? I don't know!

Beatminister
21-09-2015, 06:04
Sure, filters would be a option. But the best would be seperate tables with ghosts for each car. And considering the cost for storage space today, it would be doable. But Sony has its own opinion on that.

hkraft300
21-09-2015, 06:51
Separate tables for each car and track combination? You do realise that ends up being tens of thousands of leaderboards just for PS4..? x3 to include the other 2 platforms...
That would mean having a rebuild of all the leaderboards. Also you end up having to search leaderboards instead of a car/sub-class in existing leaderboards.
Don't you think that's a little inefficient?

Mattyd
21-09-2015, 08:52
I was meaning as well as the current options. If ghost data is that much of a problem then just the Time Trial leaderboards would be an advantage. Like I said in my op, if you are racing in a league then it would be nice to be able to compare my times with those of other cars in the same class, not just cars of the same model.

hkraft300
21-09-2015, 09:10
Ye well that's why you have the sub-class filter.
So when you open up Gt leaderboard, search by GT3 for example and it shows only times set by GT3 cars. Or on the prototype table, search by LMP2 and it brings up just that. Same same, no?

Mattyd
21-09-2015, 09:15
That sounds like what I want. That is not currently an option on time trial is it?

hkraft300
21-09-2015, 09:34
No it isn't on PS4 yet, not sure if the PC guys can do it.
Can't imagine it'd be too hard to bring it to the game on a future patch. Filter leaderboards like you filter MP lobbies.

lembi2001
21-09-2015, 09:44
PC can filter by current vehicle already. I use it all the time when trying for faster times in the BMW Z4 GT3. By class would be a nice feature though

Beatminister
21-09-2015, 11:35
Separate tables for each car and track combination? You do realise that ends up being tens of thousands of leaderboards just for PS4..? x3 to include the other 2 platforms...
That would mean having a rebuild of all the leaderboards. Also you end up having to search leaderboards instead of a car/sub-class in existing leaderboards.
Don't you think that's a little inefficient?

At the moment it would be about 6500, I guess. And why inefficient? You would enter car and track you want to see, and there you are. Really its the only true comparison of personal bests. And you can pick a ghost with the same car, not a superior one.
The devs said its no problem on the software side. But for PSN games Sony provides the server space for the game data, and thats limited. I dunno how it works for PC (Steam?) or MS.

hkraft300
21-09-2015, 13:22
So,
Option 1: build 6500+ new leaderboards, sort out the server stuff with Sony/MS, and also a search option, basically re-work the whole TT thing, to view by car/class/track...

Or,
Option 2: Build just a search option that looks through existing leaderboards, to view by car/class/track...

Both give the same results, but one is less work than the other, hence more efficient.

JSNFARRELL
21-09-2015, 23:23
Seeing some of this being added to the game so far but now additional filters for Class (as stated), Assists, Tuned, etc. need to be considered.

Some of these filters wouldn't be a request if "driver skill" was the focus or the Event itself was Official.
- Just tried posting a time on the board(s) to find that people are allowed custom tunes and assists in the Time Trial.

That made me lose interest... if the tunes and assists are allowed per the boards of course. (also note that FORCE_REAL_ASSISTS = all assists ON which was confusing)
(will post that in the proper thread, if not start one... to avoid going off topic or ranting)

On hkraft300's comment
- agree to working smarter not harder.

Thread Vote = :yes:

Beatminister
22-09-2015, 01:42
Well, I'm all for a better filter system, too. Those thousands of tables would also only be created by a different filter system. The only difference is, that there would be ghost laps for each car and track combination. Which brings us to the storage space restrictions of the console networks.

@JSNFARRELL
The legitimacy of lap times is always a question. Personally, I think its ok to use improved car setups. Its part of racing to work out the best setup for a car on a certain track. Possibly even the bigger part of racing.
Assists... I'm not so sure myself. I like to drive without any assits, but they can give a advantage on the other hand. And if the car has it in reality as well... I dunno...
And then there are the plain cheaters, they will always try something.

hkraft300
22-09-2015, 07:40
+1 about setups and assists.
i like tuning a car to get the most out of it. I'm not that fast, I don't have the talent/ hardware I'm quite aware of it. Therefore I will look for any advantage in setups or strategy to be competitive (not assists, because abs/tc/sc can mask deficiency in setup and driving technique).
That said, a good car/setup/strategy never guarantees a win. It only makes someone competitive.