PDA

View Full Version : Cut-Track Penalty

PureMalt77
21-09-2015, 15:59
I was driving the green car you will see in the video on this race (BMW M3 E30 Group A) at Zolder.
Before the chicane, watch out for the blue car coming on my right-hand side.

1st problem: at the chicane, both cars are sort of "glued" together. Even being on the left-hand side, I simply could not turn and both cars go straight.
2nd problem: the green car gets a 5s cut-track penalty, and the blue car doesn't!

What's the logic here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5ZCgWTnKY

N0body Of The Goat
21-09-2015, 16:36
The green car cut the chicane going at or close to race pace.

The blue car cut the chicane at less than full race pace.

Cut penalties take account of how fast you go when cutting and whether you gain time during the cut, compared to driving within the track defining white lines.;)

Nelson Pacheco
21-09-2015, 17:05
sounds an option Goat... but well watching 3 times to video well...i dont know if yea or no

ahaha

PureMalt77
21-09-2015, 17:55
The green car cut the chicane going at or close to race pace.

The blue car cut the chicane at less than full race pace.

Cut penalties take account of how fast you go when cutting and whether you gain time during the cut, compared to driving within the track defining white lines.;)

First, sorry to have posted in the wrong thread initially.
Thx for the explanation, it make sense. The blue car indeed reduce speed, especially after the chicane. Probably was on the edge to not "get caught".
But what strikes me is that the cut should not have happened in the first place, because of the "glue effect" - sorry, have no other word to explain that.
I always take that corner having in mind to leave the 2 left wheels in the track, but as soon as the blue car was on my side, behaves as if my car was on a train track, no changes in direction possible. I will look at the replay again and see if I can see the front wheels turning.

Besides, this is another video from our race community. At exactly 4:41 you can see a white car cutting the track at the exact same place, with all 4 wheels outside the white-line limits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=283&v=Hu2QMPYvGmQ