PDA

View Full Version : [YES] Fuel weight affect ride height ?

Angst1974
22-09-2015, 23:46
Is ride height in pCars affected by how much fuel is in the tank ?

TheReaper GT
22-09-2015, 23:50
Yes

SUBGTRACER
22-09-2015, 23:51
It does ?

TheReaper GT
22-09-2015, 23:53
It does ?

AFAIK it does affect ride height and weight transfer.

TMoney
23-09-2015, 00:14
Not sure about that but I'm pretty sure downforce does.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
23-09-2015, 00:52
It does, it affects the weight and weight distribution of the car, often quite significantly. Very often in long races I have struggled a bit with finding a good balance between behavior with a full and an empty tank. Some cars that have an unfortunate location for the fuel tank can be real bastards with a full one.

EDIT: Though to clarify, how much it affects the ride height depends massively on the suspension stiffness, the size and location of the fuel tank, for obvious reasons.

Bealdor
23-09-2015, 07:37
To add to the above, even the fuel movement in the tank is dynamically calculated:

We do yes. It's sounding a bit like a heavy fuel tank. The 'slosh' movement of the fuel will dynamically change the centre of gravity.

Also, stiffen your front tyre pressures/arb and reduce front wing/increase rear.

RadiatedSlime
23-09-2015, 10:42
It does, it affects the weight and weight distribution of the car, often quite significantly. Very often in long races I have struggled a bit with finding a good balance between behavior with a full and an empty tank. Some cars that have an unfortunate location for the fuel tank can be real bastards with a full one.

It's only after taking into account the difference of weight distribution and ride height that a full and near empty tank gives, was I able cut my qualifying times down quite a bit.

Photonmonkey
23-09-2015, 11:36
To add to the above, even the fuel movement in the tank is dynamically calculated:

What! I didn't even know this, such level of simulation, I am amazed this game actually runs on a console with the amount of stuff that is being simulated in real time and yet people are complaining about frame drops and occasional crashes.I am surprised that my PS4 hasn't burst into flames with the amount of calculations going on in that black box!

All I can say is 10/10 for attention to detail, need to factor this in for future reference :)

Shinzah
23-09-2015, 11:47
It's only after taking into account the difference of weight distribution and ride height that a full and near empty tank gives, was I able cut my qualifying times down quite a bit.

I like to practice with a full tank and run the entire or nearly entire session trying to better my lap times as the tires wear. When qualifying comes around with a scant tank and fresh boots, BAM extra tenths everywhere and I feel like a superman. I love it.

chig88
23-09-2015, 17:57
I like to practice with a full tank and run the entire or nearly entire session trying to better my lap times as the tires wear. When qualifying comes around with a scant tank and fresh boots, BAM extra tenths everywhere and I feel like a superman. I love it.

This :).

Fre.Mo
23-09-2015, 18:17
What! I didn't even know this, such level of simulation, I am amazed this game actually runs on a console with the amount of stuff that is being simulated in real time and yet people are complaining about frame drops and occasional crashes.I am surprised that my PS4 hasn't burst into flames with the amount of calculations going on in that black box!

All I can say is 10/10 for attention to detail, need to factor this in for future reference :)

It s a pitty that the whole parameters taken into account in the model are not detailled somewhere...

RomKnight
23-09-2015, 18:22
http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
23-09-2015, 18:30
http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/PhysicsEven that's an "including, but not limited to" sort of list. =)

Fre.Mo
23-09-2015, 18:32
http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics

Thanks for the link.
But I still haven t found what I m looking for...