PDA

View Full Version : Sponsored/paid events? (Possible)

Gravit8
24-09-2015, 08:07
So. Some hypothetical questions here.

Could there be a sanctioning body that used the Internet to run races and hand out prize money?
Is there anything illegal, is it considered gambling?

Just like skateboard racing, auto, bike, running. Online poker nEverything else.
Seems like you could collect money for a prize pool. And sanction the event by marshaling the room properly. It would be up to the users if you ran something they wanted to pay into and compete for prize money.

A good way to put it is. How does ESL or other leagues work. And can anyone get a license or make their own?

Edit: mods you may place a ? In my parentheses for clarity or change title.

Gravit8
24-09-2015, 20:00
Seems like a simple question.
So I assume there's nothing to stop someone from starting to collect their own race entry fees and decide on prize payouts?

TheReaper GT
24-09-2015, 20:08
Each country has it's own regulations regarding gambling. Here in Brazil you can have a pool and hand it to the winner, but you are not allowed to bet over the said event.

hkraft300
24-09-2015, 20:12
Instead of racers paying into the event, you could maybe have sponsorship for the competition, who provide the prize incentives.
Set up a dedicated website, promote the sponsors... It's advertising for them. The more participants you have, the more sponsors would want to be involved.
Run it across multiple platforms maybe Xbox/PSN throw in some free subscription as a prize. Maybe a rig/ wheel/ monitor/TV manufacturer/ supplier provides equipment.
It's not a bad idea. With the right amount of promotion and starting small, eventually you can have large enough exposure for sponsors to want to use your competition as an advertising platform. It's how racing works.
Depends how big you want to go with it and if you'd leave your day job for it. With proper sims coming to consoles, exposure is potentially huge. PCars sold 1 million+ copies ~60% on ps4 apparently. Once AC comes out, sim racing will be even bigger. Growing market for wheel and rig makers.

Gravit8
24-09-2015, 20:20
Nice post hkraft. Kind of what I see it potentially growing into. Some events out there now structured like this.
Right now I just want a pros league where people put their money where their mouth is and the events are chosen by the membership. Not the organizer.

I play friendly golf for small money on Fridays. Kind of same concept. Few bucks in. Nothing huge. Small amount no one cares about losing for fun. 4-6 bucks with one dollar going to club. Rest goes to winning prize pot. Some races may pay out the fastest lap if participants want that. Like an ace pot or something.
This is how I get to play with pro golfers and learn a little bit.
Sure you can expect to get beat by the pros. But you get an opportunity to see how they race.
If one racer can clean up the money all the time, well, you stick it to him somehow until the other races can catch him, but he still has a chance.

hkraft300
25-09-2015, 05:25
Suppose among friends, within a club or local organisation, it's easy enough. But how do you accept funds? PSN wallet/ bitcoin? How/who manage's the entry fee?
Where there's money being exchanged there would be legalities involved. What do you say when the tax man comes knocking? :p

Cheesenium
25-09-2015, 05:44
Instead of money, I think offering upcoming DLCs would be great, if SMS is still making more DLC one year or more from now.

No money involved so it will be less complicated to run the competition.

hkraft300
25-09-2015, 06:53
People are far less likely to get involved if there is an entry fee.
How do you manage funds of an international competition across 3 platforms?
I'm in a league at the moment with about 25 competitors with PSN subscriptions (or vouchers) for a prize. If such things are easy to secure, it will attract numbers and good competition as the game and driver skills mature. "pro" sim racers will eventually be attracted to the competition when they believe there is legitimacy and prestige in the competition.
GT3 is popular, but plenty sim racers are looking for Group A/4/5/C competition...
Say... Are there any Group C/LMP leagues around to race in? NOT 1 that holds races at 4/5am weekends Australian time?

Mahjik
25-09-2015, 12:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MskLMBZW-g

Just to put this out there, sim racers on the PC have been doing events like these for years. My old sim racing team Satellite Racing won several pieces of sim racing hardware in InsideSimRacing's old rFactor endurance racing league. They were broadcasted live with commentary, etc... Above is one of the recaps.. Also of note, the late Sean Edwards did some stints in that race.

Gravit8
25-09-2015, 22:22
Suppose among friends, within a club or local organisation, it's easy enough. But how do you accept funds? PSN wallet/ bitcoin? How/who manage's the entry fee?
Where there's money being exchanged there would be legalities involved. What do you say when the tax man comes knocking? :p

I figured PayPal or something. Not sure why the taxman would find a PayPal account that never has more than a hundred dollars in it. 15x5=75. You pay out 60 every race. Account left with 15. When it gets close to one hundred, you reinvest that money in a prize or event purse for the club.
You let the back markers, or last place choose next event so they have a chance the following week.

Honestly. I think the best way too compete for the big prizes would be team events. Two to four man teams. Where you make 1 race with 15 and 8. While #2 races with 14 and 7 etc.
I guarantee people will start teaching and learning things.

The team aspect is important. To keep it from being something the fastest guy just does to take our money.

hkraft300
26-09-2015, 01:09
Ye 2 man team works. 8 teams in a lobby, or 7 teams and a Marshall to spectate (replays are in a horrid state)... Per-race winnings and a purse for the championship.
I'm in a team league at the moment. I do the setups and strategy, my team mate drives a good race. Race 1 he and I finished 3 and 4 to take a team win.
So what cars/ classes would you run and when? Plenty of questions to be answered. If it's not road cars or GT3 I might be very interested. It favours me personally to stick to 1 car/livery for the duration of the competition. As for the race calendar I'd recommend it be pre-determined by the organiser, so there's a race calendar to follow. We know what races are coming up and if a track is unfamiliar we can practice ahead. Sticking to the one car also lets slower guys improve by getting track time in their weapon of choice.
It may be tough to get guys to buy in, but when they do, you know they're serious and committed.

Gravit8
26-09-2015, 04:02
Ye 2 man team works. 8 teams in a lobby, or 7 teams and a Marshall to spectate (replays are in a horrid state)... Per-race winnings and a purse for the championship.
I'm in a team league at the moment. I do the setups and strategy, my team mate drives a good race. Race 1 he and I finished 3 and 4 to take a team win.
So what cars/ classes would you run and when? Plenty of questions to be answered. If it's not road cars or GT3 I might be very interested. It favours me personally to stick to 1 car/livery for the duration of the competition. As for the race calendar I'd recommend it be pre-determined by the organiser, so there's a race calendar to follow. We know what races are coming up and if a track is unfamiliar we can practice ahead. Sticking to the one car also lets slower guys improve by getting track time in their weapon of choice.
It may be tough to get guys to buy in, but when they do, you know they're serious and committed.

I agree. Schedules up front and early. As well as car choices. I'd never assume to choose myself. Nor would I even want to.
I'd prefer to host some race nights where guys just call out stuff and we try it and evaluate overall lap times looking for the tightest fields.
Whatever the majority is stoked on is what I'd run.
I think open wheel formula series that graduates from season to season as needed is cool. Once people have tuned and reach the limits of that class. Move on knowing next step up is coming and laid out in advance. I like idea of the slower rookie cars keeping the racing tight and clean.
And a second class not a bad idea either.
But I'd lean toward slower cars where tunes less important than driving by choice.
Doesn't mean that's what a group would want.

But for my money. If I'm gonna toss someone better than me some money. I want slow cars to get my money's worth while I'm trying to hang on the back and learn a few things.

I like the idea of teams with tuners and racers. If you only had five legit tuners. Might need to make 5 three man teams. But those discussions premature I i guess.
I think there has to be an element of random ness to it.
I know I don't go to golf against the same two pros or one individual pro. For money. That would be foolish. It's new each week and when you get paired with the pro, you've got a good chance that day.

Upon thinking.
Seems like to me if you had 32 semi regulars. You could run two lobbies at the same time. i assume maybe half the guys get on the same page ish in one room. You send 8 one way and 8 the other way. Re run til you get 16 guys all feeling racy and putting in similar times Then boom. Got your race.

There would have to be a sandbagging rule of some kind and close attention paid to the fastest three drivers.
But that's why everyone loves that show pinks.

Let's handle all the details online prior and as a group and race for real.
Outlaw style