PDA

View Full Version : Random freezing/stuttering since patch 4.0

bigsilverhotdog
24-09-2015, 20:37
I noticed this severe problem earlier this week but didn't have a lot of time to play or test it until today when we had a group race.

Randomly the game freezes (sound hangs too, or possibly loops) for 2-4 seconds but gameplay and physics keep going. On lap 14/17 of our multiplayer group race (7 players total) this afternoon the game froze for 3-4 seconds coming out of the final corner at Hockenheim and when it recovered I was sideways on the straight staring at the wall with a damaged car. :mad:

I also had random 0.2-0.4 second stuttering about 4 other times during the race. It also froze for 3-4 seconds twice during my single player practise race session (with 9 AIs), and it had the same random stuttering too. This kind of stutter/freezing is absolutely unacceptable in a racing game and is totally game breaking for me.

My PC is clean, cool, quiet, and built by me. i2500k / GTX 980 with 3x Surround 6040x1080 / 16gb DDR3 / Fanatec CSR+CSPv2 / and kept optimized/sleek for high performance gaming. PCARS runs off an Intel 730 SSD and it has been totally rock stable and performed perfectly with PCARS until this latest patch. No freezes or stuttering EVER before patch 4.0

I have not changed drivers, hardware, or anything else in my system since patch 4.0 -- I tried all the normal troubleshooting things too... reboot, clear out all USB, close all tasks including even services I don't need, etc. I even turned down some game settings but nothing has worked so far.

Any help much appreciated. Finding a fix for this is my top priority as I have another race coming up on Saturday... :(

HiSpeeder
24-09-2015, 21:15
I'm on PS4, and since update 4.0 most cars have occasionally a stuttering sound or even engine sound dropping away completely in several bursts during shifting, during various practice and race sessions. Mostly during downshifting, every now and then also during upshifting. Experienced it, amongst others, with the Caterham Classic at Oulton Park and the BMW M1 Pro Car at Zolder (both during career races). Have only played circa 2 hours since the 4.0 update, so won't be surprised to find it with other cars/tracks as well.

Edit: it appears to get progressively worse the longer a race is, just did a 8 lap race at Cadwell with a BMW M1 Procar and had the stuttering noise at almost every corner.

Not sure if it's related to OP's bug, but it appears a performance issue of some sorts?

bigsilverhotdog
24-09-2015, 22:35
It is not a performance issue per se: the game stutters and freezes, the stutters being split second but clearly new since the past patch and VERY disruptive to fast driving, and the freezes (also new since last patch) being totally game breaking because control is locked out and the display/audio is frozen but the game itself continues to run invisibly (car will "warp" to wherever it went while the game was frozen).

MISTER WU
24-09-2015, 23:35
This is what i have issues with in another thread here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?39807-Online-Join-and-leave-issue
The game locks up and then you get a massive hyper speed monment like fast forwarding an old VHS. But my issue only happens when a user joins or leaves and you dont always see the dialog box appear when a user joins or leaves but looking at the user count i can tell when it happens.

Bealdor
25-09-2015, 05:55
Please delete the following file to reset your graphics settings: \Documents\Project CARS\graphicsconfigdx11.xml

Please report back if this helped you to get rid of the stuttering.

Sankyo
25-09-2015, 09:29
As a long shot, you could do a file cache integrity verification in Steam, to make sure that the file configuration is as it should be.

rocafella1978
25-09-2015, 11:12
most replies will be blaming it on internet speed, internet connection quality and WiFi connection and or both along with lag, nobody remotely even thinka about the posts people are creating, taking time to test everything and most things, and interesting enough only happens with one game: Projecr CARS.
no other game do these issue arise, even with a lower bandwidth or being connected via WiFI. (exception here Bealdor, who always has suggestions and recommendations to fix a problem! hats off to your attitude & help Bealder!)

Sankyo
25-09-2015, 11:30
most replies will be blaming it on internet speed, internet connection quality and WiFi connection and or both along with lag, nobody remotely even thinka about the posts people are creating, taking time to test everything and most things, and interesting enough only happens with one game: Projecr CARS.
no other game do these issue arise, even with a lower bandwidth or being connected via WiFI. (exception here Bealdor, who always has suggestions and recommendations to fix a problem! hats off to your attitude & help Bealder!)
I really see no need to post a comment like this, already creating a hostile atmosphere before the discussion has started. Also, as long as it has been proven not to be the cuplrit, any possible cause should be open for discussion. Furthermore, claiming that no other game has these issues is a very bold statement that needs to be backed up, as again it shuts down a possible discussion and solution route before it has even been started properly.

The fact that the OP has indicated that offline he sees similar problems and nothing changed in his configuration except for updating to patch 4.0 is enough to steer the discussion into the most likely direction, but still there is no need to cut off discussion routes just because you personally are not convinced that those may be the cause of the problem.

bigsilverhotdog
25-09-2015, 19:20
I'll test the suggestions made so far tonight and report back when I do, thanks.

edit: Ok deleting the config file reset the graphics, defaulting them to settings I would NEVER use (mostly highs instead of ultras, and MSAA with 6040x1080, yeah right!) so I reset everything to how it was before (the settings that worked fine since release until patch 4.0) -- also checking the game files using the Steam "Verify Integrity" tool yielded nothing, all files checked out 100% fine. I watched the replay from yesterday and the replay is not frozen when the game freezes, so besides continuing with physics and movement in the background it also clearly WORKS in the background, as it was writing the "invisible" data to disk. Can't test for freezing now but I will test in a few hours and edit this post again...

bigsilverhotdog
26-09-2015, 03:29
Nope, none of the mentioned tips helped at all. Just ran a test race against 9 AI at Nordschleife = freeze on lap 3 coming down the hill out of turn 1. Different car, different track, same freeze. Argh. :(

Next step suggested by a private message is to delete my profile. I doubt that will work, but I'm going to back it up and try it next. (edit: nevermind, that isn't an option as it deletes all my garage setups...)

Any more suggestions, developers? I can't join my weeks-planned group race in 9 hours if I don't get this fixed...

Sankyo
26-09-2015, 07:31
Did you try a graphics driver reinstall? Disable Geforce Experience? Disable nVidia 3DVision?

bigsilverhotdog
26-09-2015, 08:08
I never install 3d vision, geforce experience, or hd audio -- I'm well aware of the problems with those components, plus I don't need any of them.

I was running 355.60 but I just upgraded to 355.98 with a clean install (sadly wiping my many profiles but I'm desperate) and also moved my Fanatec USB cables to a different part of the computer (from the front to a powered Plugable hub). It's a new case (CM Cosmos II) with powered front USB and I've not had any problems with the USB ports so far, but in my experience this is one of the most common problems when you are using advanced USB periphs.

Indeed, after I did these two things the problem appears to have disappeared entirely. I ran 6 laps in a row at Nordschleife with same settings as before with nary a stutter or freeze. I suspect it was the USB ports I was using, which although fine until the latest patch must have just happened to coincidentally develop a problem at the same time as Patch 4.0 hit. Not the first time I've seen a hardware failure like this either, it's just always tough to pin down when it happens.

Fingers crossed this is now fixed. I will report back after today's group race with more information, and if one of these two things indeed fixed it I will narrow down the fix by moving the USB back to the previous slots and testing again.

Thanks for the input, and I'm glad it (apparently) wasn't the game itself at all. :)

edit: :(

bigsilverhotdog
26-09-2015, 14:39
%!#%^!*^T*!^&%*!%

I'm so ******* angry right now.

All morning no freezes, no stutters, until I went online and hosted the race, then bam stuttering in qualifying and 2 long freezes in the first 3 laps of the race. First time I recovered because it was on a straight, but the 2nd time was in a fast kink with DRS open and I heard the car flip and hit the wall. Sure enough, when the video and controls came back I was backwards and wrecked. I stayed up all night to troubleshoot this problem and actually had a good race going, so I'm really super, super angry right now.

Before this week I've hosted every single race for our group and never, EVER had this problem before. I'm quite convinced its the game now (or an unspecified hardware failure I've not yet discovered, which is possible but unlikely due to the fact that this is a fairly recent build with very high quality parts), because I've exhausted almost everything that I know to troubleshoot.

ARGH ARGH TRIPLE ARGH!

Sankyo
26-09-2015, 14:59
Well the no stuttering offline is a good thing, and your testing shows that it has something to do with the online part. I'll relay this to the devs. Thanks so far for the testing.

Sankyo
26-09-2015, 15:02
%!#%^!*^T*!^&%*!%

I'm so ******* angry right now.

All morning no freezes, no stutters, until I went online and hosted the race, then bam stuttering in qualifying and 2 long freezes in the first 3 laps of the race. First time I recovered because it was on a straight, but the 2nd time was in a fast kink with DRS open and I heard the car flip and hit the wall. Sure enough, when the video and controls came back I was backwards and wrecked. I stayed up all night to troubleshoot this problem and actually had a good race going, so I'm really super, super angry right now.

Before this week I've hosted every single race for our group and never, EVER had this problem before. I'm quite convinced its the game now (or an unspecified hardware failure I've not yet discovered, which is possible but unlikely due to the fact that this is a fairly recent build with very high quality parts), because I've exhausted almost everything that I know to troubleshoot.

ARGH ARGH TRIPLE ARGH!
One more thing, did you reboot your router to rule out any connection issues?

bigsilverhotdog
26-09-2015, 15:11
It happened in single player too this morning, just not for several hours before the race started. There's no possible way it's related to the router. I have no connection issues in any other multiplayer games that I play. Google pings a steady 8-10ms with 0 dropped packets in the 20 minutes I've just been running it (I run ping -t a couple days a week, all day, and average 1-2 dropped packets per 24 hours). I'm on fiber with a custom high end routing configuration I designed and implemented myself (I used to be a network/hardware tech for a living).

Sankyo
26-09-2015, 15:25
OK good to known, although since it's Steam it could still be related, possibly only connected to pCARS but still some sort of online issue. You could try and test to play offline with Steam in offline mode, then we know for sure it's not that.

bigsilverhotdog
26-09-2015, 15:28
I'll test that tomorrow or Monday if I can get the urge to play again that soon after this debacle.

Hopefully more information will become available in the meantime, because there's little else I can do to troubleshoot this further. All I know is that it appeared with patch 4.0 and I've tried to assume there was something I could do to influence it... but so far nothing has worked.

Sankyo
26-09-2015, 15:43
Hate to use you as a beta tester, but trying to find in what area the problem might lie would be a big help. Hence, looking whether to stuttering/freezing depends on any of the following would be a great help:

- number of AI (also test zero)
- AI incidents (look at replay when stutter/freeze happened)
- graphics settings (e.g. sun flare, env map, reflections)

MISTER WU
26-09-2015, 22:11
Sorry Remco mate but i have had this exact same issue since day one. All the help i got was being told my PC wasnt up to scratch and it has to be something i have done, funny enough i been building PC's for 10 years and employed as a Sysadmin/networkadmin/Tech for as long as well so trouble shooting is what i do first and ask for help last! I must reiterate, this only ever happens with pCars out of all other games i have i can honestly say i have not a single issue only with pCars.
Everyone keeps blaming the PC/GFX card but i have changed from AMD to Intel and still get the same issue (I still have AMD GFX cards though (2X R9 290's))

So for the sake of it, can we stop blaming peoples computers/routers/wheels and start actually looking at the game as the problem, the online modules of this game are poorly written and need to be revised.
I know dam well where hotdog is coming from, you get so angry you want to smash your monitor.
Just imagine for a second, you are leading a race with a 1 second margin and there is no room for error, you approach a corner and the f**ing game locks up for 3 seconds and then when the screen comes back in hyper mode you find you have hit the wall and smashed the car.

Now this happens when people join and leave a online race, very rarely does it do this in SP mode for me and if it does its for a split second.

Jon Hallett
27-09-2015, 02:04
I to have had this problem form the last update, same as these peeps,freezing for a couple of seconds.mainly on-line, but that's all i really play anyway so cant go by that. I do however have the same AMD card 290, so thinking its probably that? i have the latest beta drivers from AMD, but as it only happens very rarely,haven't thought to much about it. Now when i down shift and it goes down two gears instead of one, which happens a lot, that's annoying! :)

MISTER WU
27-09-2015, 05:46
Peeeeeps be heee@ps beached hey br0.
Anyway, yes its an an issue and the should be raised @ the next quarterly

Sankyo
27-09-2015, 06:56
Sorry Remco mate but i have had this exact same issue since day one. All the help i got was being told my PC wasnt up to scratch and it has to be something i have done, funny enough i been building PC's for 10 years and employed as a Sysadmin/networkadmin/Tech for as long as well so trouble shooting is what i do first and ask for help last! I must reiterate, this only ever happens with pCars out of all other games i have i can honestly say i have not a single issue only with pCars.
Everyone keeps blaming the PC/GFX card but i have changed from AMD to Intel and still get the same issue (I still have AMD GFX cards though (2X R9 290's))

So for the sake of it, can we stop blaming peoples computers/routers/wheels and start actually looking at the game as the problem, the online modules of this game are poorly written and need to be revised.
I know dam well where hotdog is coming from, you get so angry you want to smash your monitor.
Just imagine for a second, you are leading a race with a 1 second margin and there is no room for error, you approach a corner and the f**ing game locks up for 3 seconds and then when the screen comes back in hyper mode you find you have hit the wall and smashed the car.

Now this happens when people join and leave a online race, very rarely does it do this in SP mode for me and if it does its for a split second.

Then please explain to me why I'm not seeing freezes and stutters? Or that most of the 100,000+ PC players are not complaining here?

I haven't said anywhere that the game isn't to blame and my questions are only a method to rule out everything else. As an experienced system builder you should know that no two systems are alike and there can be a lot of issues caused by slight differences in hardware and software configurations.
Furthermore, it can also be that a demanding game actually exposes a hardware or software issue on a PC. Again, I'm not defending the game to be all perfect, but with only few people reporting the issue we should first rule out the PC, plus detailed and systematic checking of possible causes can also lead to identify an issue with the game.

The stutter when people leave or join an online session is a known issue of the game but that is not what we are discussing here, as the OP also has freezing and stuttering issues offline.

VictoriSV
27-09-2015, 08:44
Yesterday I was in the same hosted session as drivingbigsilverhotdog, and during the qualifying I didn't notice any stuttering but it is a recurrent problem during my singleplayer sessions and any other kind of offline or online mode within the game.
For me there are two types of lagging/stuttering:
- Physics stuttering (due to me crashing into a barrier or into another car) but when I try to replicate the same situation it only happens half of the times.
- Random freezes without any know reason that can last a split of a second or pair of seconds.
This lagging/stuttering is there since I remember in this game, and I haven't any problem in any other game except from some games that run on the Source Engine in where I have sporadically, the famous sound stuttering, no matter what hardware I was running on (2 different sets of graphics cards, mother board and CPU) and several clean installations of SO.

Gordon
27-09-2015, 09:37
Would pc specs in sig be a good idea to help with the trouble shooting? :P

VictoriSV
27-09-2015, 10:14
That was exactly what I was including in my signature :p

bigsilverhotdog
27-09-2015, 10:28
I don't feel the need to brag about what I'm running, that's why I don't do it. But here you go...

-----

XFX 750w PSU (Seasonic rebadge, one of the older ones)
GA-Z68XP-UD3P
i2500k @ 4.0ghz (this is a very "safe" overclock that I ran undervolted until recently -- 4.5 is possible but I prefer long CPU life over maximum overclock)
Noctua NH-D14
16gb (4x4gb) CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 1600
Intel 730 SSD for OS, specific high performance games, and swapfile
Samsung 750gb for misc, 2x WD Black 640gb for other games, 2x Toshiba 3tb for local storage
External USB ASUS DVDRW (almost never plugged in)
ASUS STRIX GTX 980
3x ASUS VE278Q monitors @ 6040x1080
Intel Gigabit PCIE 1x Ethernet (onboard disabled... in fact almost all onboard everything is disabled)
HTOMEGA Striker 7.1 powering Polk Monitor 40s and PSW10 Sub via ONKYO TX-8255
USB Blue Snowflake microphone
Plugable USB 2.0 10 port hub
Cooler Master Cosmos II
Logitech G11, MX518
Current racing setup: Fanatec CSR Wheel, Clubsport pedals V2, Openwheeler+ racing seat
Current flight setup: CH Throttle Quad, Fighterstick, Pro Pedals USB, and Saitek X52 throttle (threw away CH Pro Throttle, piece of junk) -- all flight setup in storage, not presently being used.
Win7 x64

-----

I can go into a lot more detail than this but I don't see how headphones, other game controllers, BIOS settings, etc, is terribly relevant when I know exactly what I'm doing. I have to since I play literally hundreds of different games every year including obscure stuff using virtual machines and complex setups involving emulators. I am only currently experiencing a major video freeze or significant technical failure with one specific game -- this one, and it started out of the blue without any hardware or software changes in the meantime. Literally no changes whatsoever, not even a reboot! I don't reboot my PC unless I install new hardware or drivers, and I never turn it off. Fully power cycling desktop PC hardware components is the single major contributing factor towards their failure. How else do you think I've got hard drives and other components from as early as 2002 still working in my other workshop PCs? Regardless, one day everything was fine, the next day I woke up and turned on the monitors and suddenly PCARS started freezing on me. The fact that it started at the same time as Patch 4.0 can't be a coincidence. I tried to believe it was for a while, but with enough due diligence on my part I simply can't believe it any longer.

Anyway, I'm still pissed off and am not likely to touch PCARS for at least another two days. I'll update again when I do, and the first thing I will test are RVD's suggestions, though seeing as this freezing/stuttering problem has happened with multiple graphics settings, number of AIs, and in single and multiplayer...

Sampo
27-09-2015, 10:42
So when was the last time you rebooted?

bigsilverhotdog
27-09-2015, 11:33
At least please read the thread first before you make such comments.

A) When you run a clean and trim install of an NT based version of windows rebooting is only required for major changes or disasters. That's the whole point, and I refuse to argue about something so trivial and irrelevant to the problem at hand with you or anyone else. I've run months of consecutive uptime on this gaming rig with no driver or hardware changes and ZERO game issues. This is standard practise when you know what you're doing and build/admin your machines with expertise. It's a wonderful age to live in, because I well remember having to deal with much older versions of windows where rebooting multiple times daily was standard practise for gamers everywhere.

2) Besides that if you'd read the thread you'd have noticed that I updated video drivers yesterday morning, per post 13 (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?39800-First-CRITICAL-bug-for-me-Game-randomly-freezing-stuttering-since-patch-4-0&p=1131036&viewfull=1#post1131036), and unless I'm playing the game on Linux (which obviously I'm not because you can't) this makes a reboot required as part of the process.

D) Now go on, make a comment about how the CPU overclock is the likely culprit. Surely that's the next logical step, aye? :disgust:

Sampo
27-09-2015, 13:08
I actually just wanted to know when you rebooted and I didn't notice the post you mentioned. Oh well...

thmxvr
28-09-2015, 14:21
Might be a power supply/consumption issue. If you run just on the limit of what your PSU can handle than this kind of issues can arise. It would be some kind of coincidence that makes it appear at the same time as the 4.0 patch. Some details like more dust on the heat exchanger or a bit less ventilation or a hotter climate... Do you witness this problem only when the computer is hot (and thus draw a bit more current) or can you trigger this bug when cold?

bigsilverhotdog
28-09-2015, 14:42
1) It doesn't get hot. I use a very high airflow case (look up the CM Cosmos II) and the ambient temperature in the room is a consistent climate controlled 20-22c.
2) I'm not near the limit of the PSU. Even accounting for wattage decay due to PSU age I still have at least 150-200w of excess. My system as listed above uses approx 400w under full load (that includes overclocking, hard drives, fans, everything). I just double checked it with a PSU load calculator and my estimate was almost exactly spot on... still got it. ;)
3) The freezing problem doesn't happen in any other games. I played Pinball Arcade and Carmageddon Reincarnation maxed out for endless hours all weekend with not a single freeze or stutter, and considering how unoptimized Carmageddon Reincarnation is that's literally amazing. But hey, my PC is fast, trim, clean, and properly setup and administered.

bigsilverhotdog
29-09-2015, 18:06
Ok still playing, still freezing, yesterday did time trial for about 2 hours, had 2 incidents, 1 very short freeze (2/3 second), 1 stutter (1-2/10th second). No long 2-4 second freeze like in single/multi so far, but I only played a couple of hours and only 1 car/track combo. This was after I turned some of the graphics down too...

Also had a couple other people msg me here on the forums and on Steam that they have the same problem, so its looking more and more like this is a PCARS problem and not a user problem. There had to be some optimizations and changes to the rendering pipline for 4.0 since rearview high detail option was added, probably more as well that I'm not aware of... need some developer help here, not much more I can do on my end except play other games and wait...

I will test further this week and continue reporting back...

madmax2069
29-09-2015, 19:04
It seems to be a issue in all platforms (doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, but a bug with the game). The game doesnt always seems to crash, its so random. Theres days the game won't even crash (but I race with others and a few of them will crash out, there always seems to be someone crashing out in the league races). It makes me mad when im in the lead on lap 27 of a 30 lap race and the game decides to crash.

Heck one crash I was waiting in the lobby (waiting on people to join the league race).

Sometimes it will continuously crash all day long.

You just dont know when its going to crash.

bigsilverhotdog
29-09-2015, 19:41
It seems to be a issue in all platforms (doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, but a bug with the game). The game doesnt always seems to crash, its so random. Theres days the game won't even crash (but I race with others and a few of them will crash out, there always seems to be someone crashing out in the league races). It makes me mad when im in the lead on lap 27 of a 30 lap race and the game decides to crash.

Heck one crash I was waiting in the lobby (waiting on people to join the league race).

Sometimes it will continuously crash all day long.

You just dont know when its going to crash.

You didn't read anything in this thread did you.

madmax2069
29-09-2015, 19:51
You didn't read anything in this thread did you.

And does it really matter since the game is pretty unstable (which has gotten worse with 4.0), constant freezing, crashes, and other issues of the like (like when I was racing and the screen froze but sound was still playing and responding to throttle input but would just contunue to accelerate without hitting any walls or anything).

But thanks for the negative feedback though, even though I was confirming the instabilities with 4.0.

bigsilverhotdog
29-09-2015, 22:41
Yes it does matter. You rudely invaded my troubleshooting thread to complain about the game constantly crashing which (to me) isn't even true. It's also nothing whatsoever to do with this thread. The game never crashes on me. Maybe once per 50 hours of play, and it hasn't crashed a single time for me in about 20 hours of play since patch 4. Not exactly what I'd call unstable.

If you've got a problem with PCARS crashing then make your own thread. Coming into random ones to complain is pointless and rude, and that's why I gave you negative feedback.

MISTER WU
29-09-2015, 22:55
Remco, you first say that none or most of the the 100,000 + PC players have this issue but at the end say that "The stutter when people leave or join an online session is a known issue of the game".
The fact is, i now know of atleast 10 people in my friends list who now this issue when playing online and they have now stopped playing online because of this issue.

Just browsing this forum shows the game has a lot of issues and talking to people online indicates nearly everyone has some sort of an issue.
We which is all of us need to stop blaming PC components and really start identifying the issues with in this game because passing the buck doesn't help and i guarantee pCars 2 will fail unless pCars 1 is working %100.
i love this game but it can be very annoying to constantly have countless issues that vary from every time you play the game.
just the other day, flying down bathurst conrod straight and 2 players including me, cars just decided to jump 100 feet in the air? Awesome as it was, i lost the race!
Yesterday, left pits and the wheel was puling to the left, yesterday again people jump the start line and got no penalty.
i could literally go on and on and on but lets start at the beginning.

I will reiterate, NO OTHER GAME in my list has any of these type of issues, in fact all of them work %100 as advertised at time of purchase.

MISTER WU
29-09-2015, 22:59
Did you sort the issue out yet mate? I did a small race offline and i did notice the stuttering/lagg of a few seconds which never happened before last patch.
I even deleted the GFX file and reset everything again which did nothing.
I am noticing when driving fast cars, the trees etc do not stream on the screen fluently, it staggers like i have screen lagg but im gettign 120 FPS with everything on Ultra (Accept grass, heat haze and bloom). Turning blur on or off doesnt make a differance so i rolled back to 15.7 drivers but that doesnt make it any better either.

My main issue is i get this online as i play online %90 of the time i play this game

bigsilverhotdog
30-09-2015, 18:08
Played 3 hours today, had 3 MAJOR freezes one of them over 5 entire seconds long, and all in time trial. Sad. :(

Sampo
30-09-2015, 18:25
Could you try narrowing down the possibilities by using only HIGH settings and dropping the 3d grass altogether for a day? Also, could you check if you have HPET timer enabled in windows? In a command prompt, write 'bcdedit' and see if you have 'useplatformclock' set to true (absence means false).

bigsilverhotdog
30-09-2015, 20:42
I'm already using High settings instead of Ultras (started testing with that immediately after the failed race on Saturday), but I haven't turned grass off yet. I'll try that tonight/tomorrow. Not using HPET.

MISTER WU
30-09-2015, 22:19
Did you check to see if HPET is disabled in BIOS?
i will give that a go but i found disabling xfire and using just one R9 290 made a massive difference for me with stutter and lock ups during offline races.
The whole game felt smoother but i will try play around with HPET on && off when i get home.
i still get 90+ FPS with 25 AI on track but with one card, the start of the race is flawless but when i use 2 cards, i FPS drops and its a little stuttery/jittery.

bigsilverhotdog
02-10-2015, 18:49
With everyone off in the first tab (sun, coronas, etc), detail grass off, and no ultras it still freezes in all modes. Time trial, single player practise, multiplayer, all freeze randomly. Time trial froze right near the start of a lap 3 times yesterday.

At this point I'm going to rule out my PC, barring some new information coming to light, and point the finger of guilt squarely at something that was changed in patch 4. I can't see any other solution.

Roger Prynne
02-10-2015, 19:13
Just thinking out loud here.....

When your playing the game it is being recorded for the replay and obviously writing to disk or memory, so I was just wandering if that could have anything to do with it, like it's catching up or even a bad sector on the disk?

Like I said just thinking out loud.

I've never had this problem in almost 4 years with 3 different GPU's.

I hope we can solve it for you soon mate.

bigsilverhotdog
02-10-2015, 21:24
I run HD Sentinel (http://www.hdsentinel.com/) 24/7 (except when I've stopped it a few times during PCARS lately to rule it out, as it does periodically read SMART and temp information) and there have been no new bad sectors in the Intel 730 since I bought it brand new in April of this year. It arrived with 2 (disappointing but hardly uncommon) but has had no new ones since then. I run Intel's SSD Optimizer utility and also use the same util to check the disk every 2 weeks -- no problems, and it reports the same information as HD Sentinel (as it should since they both are based on SMART). All other games I run off it work perfectly, and that's essentially 100% of my current games that I've been playing this year. Also the OS and swapfile run off the disk -- no problems there either. Windows rock solid, all other programs and games run perfectly.

I also never even once had this problem until patch 4.0

edit: Windows event log has no errors of any kind. I meant to mention this earlier but forgot.

Roger Prynne
02-10-2015, 21:41
Hmmm strange?

Wish I could be of more help.

bigsilverhotdog
08-10-2015, 20:22
Another ruined afternoon: 2 freezes in 15min quali session and 3 freezes in the first 8 laps of the race, all of this with a fresh game install on a beastly rig running only medium settings, on an utterly cleaned (hardware and software) gaming rig that runs everything else perfectly and ran PCARS perfectly until Patch 4.0

It's now time to play everything else perfectly. No more racing in PCARS for me until a fix is found, and I've already spent far too many hours assuming the fix needed to be somewhere on my end.

MISTER WU
08-10-2015, 22:00
i know this sounds stupid but have you tried re-seating the GFX card mate? re-seat the RAm as well maybe or could this be an issue with the wheel.
Can you also see if pcars and steam are in this regkey
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
delete them 2 keys and see how that goes mate(After exporting them first)

bigsilverhotdog
09-10-2015, 17:20
I've already tried moving the wheel/pedals to new USB slots = no change.

Why would PCARS be listed under appcompatibility in the registry? I checked just to be sure: Of course it isn't. What part of "I'm technically proficient" doesn't get through to people...

Reseat my graphics card and RAM? No, I'm not even going to respond to that.

I will, however, test the game a bit more since patch 5 just came out. If the problem persists through this patch, I'm gone for a while.

MISTER WU
09-10-2015, 22:26
Well then you are a know it all then are you not!
I wanted to see if the high dpi awareness was enabled but seen as you know everything i shouldn't have bothered.
Also yes, i have had issues with games where re-seating the GFX card helps, especially with cards with no back plate and depending on where you live humidity can create more build of of residue in the PCIe headers, but once again you already knew that didn't you.

Considering i have a BOCS, Dimploma in ICT, Certs in VMware, MSCITP, Cisco CCNP, script in 3 languages and program in 2 others support 100+ users, manage 15 servers over 4 locations spanning 3000 kilometers i still never claim to know it all and still do this day am willing to take some advice from others on issues that are raised.
Re-seating hardware is IT 101 and some times the simplest fixes are the ones that work.

EDIT:Removed comment

Roger Prynne
09-10-2015, 23:47
There's no need for that last sentence MISTER WU, calm it down please, or just walk away.

bigsilverhotdog
10-10-2015, 04:32
Wu: Surely you can brag and/or attack me more effectively than that. Yeah, one single game randomly freezing since a recent patch, and literally 50+ other games all still working perfectly -- lets reseat the graphics card! And lets reseat the CPU, memory, put new thermal paste on the CPU, change all the SATA cables, and reinstall the entire OS while we're at it! Surely one of those hammers will smash in this nail!

Sampo: You've done nothing but private message me asking me to delete my profile. Apparently this is your pet peeve and the first target for all problems with PCARS and you're not happy that I've ignored you. Ok, I get it. But seriously, go away. Stop telling me to delete my profile and start over. I'm not going to do it.

NoBrakes
11-10-2015, 02:18
I am sorry, but I have to say that I got these short freezes during offline and online playing since patch 5, too. As I didn't play pCARS much during patch 4 was out I just could confirm that this happens right now. And I didn't change anything with my installation or hardware as well. The only thing that was changed 2 times over the last weeks were the nvidia drivers that got updates. I will check tomorrow if this may have something to do with this newly freezes. The other thing that suddenly seems to happen is that over the time when playing for some hours the sound is becoming very odd with crackling and noise and sometimes I couldn't hear the engine sound anymore as if someone has put heavy wind sounds over it... Very disturbing that all but most concern I have are those random freezes even if I am well above 60FPS ... So I am pretty sure that something "new" or changed did happen since patch 4 and lasts through patch 5...

teazr
11-10-2015, 09:58
I've got this stuttering problem as well. No long freezes as of yet, but those annoying stutters are quite common.

Mad Al
11-10-2015, 14:52

Sampo: You've done nothing but private message me asking me to delete my profile. Apparently this is your pet peeve and the first target for all problems with PCARS and you're not happy that I've ignored you. Ok, I get it. But seriously, go away. Stop telling me to delete my profile and start over. I'm not going to do it.

Copy the profile to make a backup, then delete the original.. if it cures the problem then great (except you will have to redo some setups) if not, nothing lost.. put the copy back.

Yes, it makes sod all sense that it would help, as does rebooting your machine after an update, but the simple fact is, that through the development period, this did indeed cure many problems even when nothing should have changed (of course if you didn't really follow the development, just played the game, you may have missed that fact).. and no I haven't deleted my profile on ANY of my machines since launch, but if I had an issue that would be my FIRST port of call, not my last.

Interesting that the two other people who have also said they have the same/similar issues are also running windows 7.... I've just tried running four laps with a full grid of mixed cars at Nords in the rain on my lowly Windows 7 machine.... and it ran perfectly, no stutters, no freeze.... so again, profile/graphicsconfig delete to TEST if it improves things (always back up the profile in case it makes no odds)

NoBrakes
11-10-2015, 21:52
I did a total profile reset just after patch 5 reached my desktop. So this didn't prevent or solve the freezing / stuttering issue. It seems to me that this - maybe together with the distorted sounds - has something to do with how long you use pCARS in a continuous session without stopping the game or shutting down / rebooting your machine. Could it be something within the memory management that something over there gets corrupted by some time? As I did some short tests today and had no issues at all - and yesterday, when I first recognized this issues, I had pCARS running without closing it for several hours...

MISTER WU
11-10-2015, 22:13
I did a total profile reset just after patch 5 reached my desktop. So this didn't prevent or solve the freezing / stuttering issue. It seems to me that this - maybe together with the distorted sounds - has something to do with how long you use pCARS in a continuous session without stopping the game or shutting down / rebooting your machine. Could it be something within the memory management that something over there gets corrupted by some time? As I did some short tests today and had no issues at all - and yesterday, when I first recognized this issues, I had pCARS running without closing it for several hours...
Could be mate, sounds a lot like a memory leak for sure. Any application that deteriorates over time generally means memory leaks!

NoBrakes
12-10-2015, 04:59
Could be mate, sounds a lot like a memory leak for sure. Any application that deteriorates over time generally means memory leaks!

So, do you think there is something I could do on my side besides playing pCARS not so intense and enduring? Or does this have to be solved by the devs? And how could one provide helpful material ? The stutters / freezes and the distorted sound is something that really happens totally occasional and is hard to be reproduced...

MISTER WU
12-10-2015, 05:39
Well there are so many fixes that have worked for various people.
For me i found the lagg i get from users joining and leaving not so bad but other times after patch5 it can be really bad.
Either way you could try what i mentioned above with the high DPi awareness, right click the pCars64.exe file click properties then compadability tab and tick (If it isnt already) "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

Try that and then when in pcars use Window Mode so we can see what it locks up, if that DPI box is ticked then try untick it (Mine was originally ticked, runs better with it not ticked as i use VSR).
With the sound issue, make sure you dont have the "Loudness Equalization" option ticked in the PlayBack properties.

Sampo
12-10-2015, 07:55
Copy the profile to make a backup, then delete the original.. if it cures the problem then great (except you will have to redo some setups) if not, nothing lost.. put the copy back.

Yes, it makes sod all sense that it would help, as does rebooting your machine after an update, but the simple fact is, that through the development period, this did indeed cure many problems even when nothing should have changed (of course if you didn't really follow the development, just played the game, you may have missed that fact).. and no I haven't deleted my profile on ANY of my machines since launch, but if I had an issue that would be my FIRST port of call, not my last.

Interesting that the two other people who have also said they have the same/similar issues are also running windows 7.... I've just tried running four laps with a full grid of mixed cars at Nords in the rain on my lowly Windows 7 machine.... and it ran perfectly, no stutters, no freeze.... so again, profile/graphicsconfig delete to TEST if it improves things (always back up the profile in case it makes no odds)

Just to set the record straight, that was exactly what I proposed. I'll go on my way now.

bigsilverhotdog
13-10-2015, 10:12
Removing all replays and local ghosts didn't help at all.

The reason I'm not deleting the profile is because it's not an option, even if it did work. I'm not redoing all my hundreds of setups, even from saved screenshots. Not having the setups separate and able to be exported/backed up is an inexcusable flaw when one of your troubleshooting methods requires starting over from scratch. No.

I've defended this game for a while but why should I bother now when I can't even play it? Guess I'm off to Other Games for a while. Sad. I want to race and I just sunk a bunch of money into a racing upgrade. This nonsense really bums me out.

PS: I put about 20-30 hours of play into various other games since my last post. Not one freeze, stutter, or problem. Temps are cold. System is optimal. Everything is perfect.

edit: In relation to memory leaking... I've had the game leak memory/performance leak on me since the start. If I started too many fresh sessions without restarting the entire game the performance would degrade over time. No stuttering or freezing, but fps would get lower and lower. Restarting the game cleared it instantly. I still get the same effect since patch 4/5, but this freezing/stuttering (that started at patch 4) can happen right from the first session launched in PCARS. It doesn't necessarily take any time to start appearing, could be within 5 minutes or 50 minutes of starting a game, whereas the memory leak/fps drop takes quite a long time to appear.

Mad Al
13-10-2015, 18:26
...blah, blah, blah....

your choice.. whatever. good bye.

bigsilverhotdog
14-10-2015, 16:15
your choice.. whatever. good bye.

Sorry to see you go.

tekila67
21-10-2015, 14:21
Hi

I have exactly the same stuttering problem since a few days!
I drive fluid with 60 to 70 frames per second. Then the picture freezes for a second and after the game is going on I was off the track.
So physics calculation is going on while I see so frames.
I have this issue in online and offline mode.

I have never a problem before patch 4.0.
So I think too it is a problem in the software!

I have a ASUS Strix 980 TI.

The game is nearly unplayable now!
I think this must me fixed by the software guys.

bigsilverhotdog
25-10-2015, 11:14
I've not been idle in working on this problem, in fact I've spent far too much time and money trying to solve it.

1) Last week I had the mobo HDD controller drop a drive while the system was fairly idle. "Bingo!" I thought, surely that must be the problem, after all I had suspected the HDD controller over a year ago and was prepared to change the motherboard at the time, but I'd never been able to get any hard evidence that it had any faults. All tests completed perfectly, no event log errors, no data corruption, HDD benchmark and monitoring programs all returned flawless results, games loaded and ran perfectly (except for this freezing bug).

2) So now I have some evidence of a HDD controller fault, a flaw that is possibly the cause of my freezing PCARS problem, so I went straight away and replaced the motherboard (with an 1155 ASROCK Extreme4). Installed the new board, set my system back up, get windows running smoothly again and make sure all my old drivers were wiped and new ones installed.

3) Freezing reappeared less than 10 minutes after I restarted PCARS. Well ****.

4) I was angry but while setting my system back up I remembered another variable that had sat quietly, almost forgotten, during this entire ordeal: My XBOX 360 Wireless controller receiver. Owned it since 2010, has stayed plugged in 99% of the time my PC is online (since I use wireless 360 controllers with tons of games), and has been totally ignored for years. Could this little piece of hardware be causing the PCARS freezing problem, especially since SMS reworked how the game deals with the 360 controller recently?

5) No, sadly, it wasn't. The freezing appeared briefly to have vanished, but then it came back just as suddenly. So I figure "fine , I've had 2/3 Cable Matters brand DisplayPort cables go bad on me within a year (but not with this symptom), maybe the last cable of the 3 is going bad and causing this problem -- since I'm running 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 1x DisplayPort, I'll replace all 3 video cables!"

6) So I order 3 high end, expensive DisplayPort cables, and naturally it doesn't do anything to fix the problem.

7) My current troubleshooting idea is to replace my entire race rig with backup components (different wheel and pedals) AND replace all USB cables to the devices at the same time, while ALSO unplugging all other USB components from my system. I haven't had time to test it yet, and when I do test it might take 30 or 300 minutes for the problem to show up... and that's the main annoyance with this problem. It's not easily reproducible. I can't make the game freeze or point to anything that possibly might be making the game freeze, it just freezes when it wants to. It usually wants to a lot (every 10-30 minutes or even more often), but sometimes not so much (1-2 hours can pass without a freeze).

If this last ditch crazy attempt doesn't work I'm left with silly random stabs like trying to RMA major hardware components (like the video card) without a good reason or replacing other major hardware components that otherwise function perfectly (like the power supply), and I doubt I'm going to do those things at all. No game is worth this much headache.

PS: tekila we both have ASUS STRIX 980, mine is regular not ti though...

MISTER WU
25-10-2015, 20:23
But you are not the only one to have this issue so i would stop looking at hardware because i know a lot of people getting tired of this bug and have since stopped playing pCars.
Its the game and because it doesn't happen to others doesn't mean it dont exist!

bigsilverhotdog
26-10-2015, 18:52
Nope, didn't work. 4 freezes in one lap in fact.

I've now replaced or swapped more than half the components in my gaming rig without any change in this PCARS freezing behavior, which all started with patch 4.0

I've tried to assume this whole time that there was some hardware fix I could find, that somewhere my system must be causing this problem, but I think we're well past plausible deniability here.

Short of further major system changes there's not much more I can do except play other games. The fact that I've gone this far shows who much of a racer and fan of this game I am, but seriously, enough is enough.

bigsilverhotdog
29-11-2015, 16:25
I have solved this problem, hopefully once and for all, after a serious amount of work and a very large amount of money spent. I cannot remember the last time I worked for so hard, for so long, on any technical problem related to gaming, and I've never spent so much money trying to fix a single problem. Never. The solution that eventually helped me will surprise you, but is unlikely to transfer over to many others. The "PCARS freezing" symptom itself is not unique, but the causes of this freezing apparently can be widely varied. I actually had more than one cause, which is why it took me so long to figure it out -- replacing one part or changing a major variable never cured it, because the root of the problem was much more complicated.

I will update with a lot more information tomorrow or Tuesday when I have time.

allana15
30-11-2015, 23:09
I have the same thing happening in every race. I've tried everything but nothing helps, I can't race for it freezes and I end up spinning, for when it unfreezes I'm in the grass

Charger
01-12-2015, 07:07
Micro stutters like that sometimes can point to sound devices.

wolowizzard
15-12-2015, 06:58
Is there an update on how you solved the problem? I'm getting the freezes, too, not very often, but it cost me a race yesterday so I started searching for solutions...

MISTER WU
15-12-2015, 08:11
Is there an update on how you solved the problem? I'm getting the freezes, too, not very often, but it cost me a race yesterday so I started searching for solutions...
Nah mate there is no fix, it hasn't been acknowledged by the devs (Only Mods) as far as i can tell so if it works for them screw everyone else then hey?
This issue has caused me many races, qualifying times and also practices.

Sankyo
15-12-2015, 08:27
Nah mate there is no fix, it hasn't been acknowledged by the devs (Only Mods) as far as i can tell so if it works for them screw everyone else then hey?
Great attitude. Perhaps you forgot to consider that if devs cannot reproduce an issue, they cannot fix it?

VFX Pro
25-09-2016, 18:26
I'm wondering if you have multiple sounds cards like me to drive SimCommander. I have USB Sound card, and I'm starting to wonder if it's the reason why I get the same stutter when hitting objects in SP mode, or getting freeze problems when people join/leave multiplayer races.