PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster TH8A Owners

Silraed
25-09-2015, 03:52
Ok, so. I was have been in the market for a stand alone shifter to go with my G27 that has a sequential mode, I had my eye on the Fanatec CSS SQ but unfortunately held off on the purchase for just a little too long and they increased the Australian prices to a point where I feel a little less comfortable making the purchase. Not to mention having to pay $40 for the USB adapter just feels plain wrong for a "standalone" shifter that already costs over $300.

So this leaves me with the Thrustmaster as my only option. I am interested in hearing your experiences with it, especially the switching between gated and sequential mode. How long does it take? Is there any risk of damage (stripping screws, any little switches that might be damaged)? How is the general feel of the shifter, how much adjustment do you have for resistance and how realistic does it feel?

Last but not least is it worth the $230 odd AUD price tag.

SUBGTRACER
25-09-2015, 03:58
Its a pretty robust shifter , I have changed mine from seq to gated at least 20 times .....I honestly don't think there is a risk in damaging it in this process which takes 3 minutes maybe , can be a little fiddley .

The only damage you could do is cross thread the allen keys .......but they are good allen key bolts not crap quality so the likely hood of damaging these is slim also.

It is a very well built shifter 90% metal I think it says on the box and you can feel that it is solid , my thought is that the gates are a little long but you can mod it with different gate plates if you don't like it .

http://www.ricmotech.com/Short_Shift_Kit_for_the_Thrustmaster_Shifter_p/rmt-tmss.htm

Mod plate above looks pretty good to me

Jezza819
25-09-2015, 04:41
I hated mine. Only tried to use it a few times and sold it. I think I need to be able to feel the pull of an actual engine to use something like that. Plus I had a wheelstand pro wheel stand and the only place to mount it was up close to the steering wheel level. I think if I had a proper race seat/cockpit where I could mount it down where it actually is in a real car my experience might have been different. But for me it was a total waste of money.

Slowsley
25-09-2015, 04:45
I love mine. I've changed modes countless times with no problems and I couldn't see any developing. However, I did get tired of doing it. It takes several minutes to change modes. It really shines in gated mode. Sequential mode is good, but maybe just a tiny bit spongey in feel. I ended up getting a DSD for sequential duties and it's so stout that I have wrist pains now so I'm trying to find a better technique.

But anyway, I love the TH8A. To have both modes in one quality package is just awesome. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Silraed
25-09-2015, 05:26
It is a very well built shifter 90% metal I think it says on the box and you can feel that it is solid , my thought is that the gates are a little long but you can mod it with different gate plates if you don't like it .

http://www.ricmotech.com/Short_Shift_Kit_for_the_Thrustmaster_Shifter_p/rmt-tmss.htm

Mod plate above looks pretty good to me

The long throw was one concern for me, seeing as I am used to the fairly short G27 shifter throw and my experience in real cars have generally been short throw boxes. That Ricmotech short throw plate looks great and would most likely solve any issue (if there was one) but the price gets pretty high once converted to AUD and I am unsure if there would be any import costs.

can you tell me how the gear knob feels? Good enough feel in the hand or feels slightly cheap and needs replacing?

I hated mine. Only tried to use it a few times and sold it. I think I need to be able to feel the pull of an actual engine to use something like that. Plus I had a wheelstand pro wheel stand and the only place to mount it was up close to the steering wheel level. I think if I had a proper race seat/cockpit where I could mount it down where it actually is in a real car my experience might have been different. But for me it was a total waste of money.

Well I already know I can use something of this kind without any real feedback because I regularly use the G27 shifter, mounting and placement is no issue as I have a Next Level Racing Wheelstand.

I love mine. I've changed modes countless times with no problems and I couldn't see any developing. However, I did get tired of doing it. It takes several minutes to change modes. It really shines in gated mode. Sequential mode is good, but maybe just a tiny bit spongey in feel. I ended up getting a DSD for sequential duties and it's so stout that I have wrist pains now so I'm trying to find a better technique.

But anyway, I love the TH8A. To have both modes in one quality package is just awesome. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

The time it takes to change mode is also a concern I have as I regularly switch between gated H pattern cars (Lotus 72D, Ford Zakspeed, Arial Atom Mugen) and cars I would like to drive with a sequential (namely the Ginetta Junior, Formula C/Gulf). I would hate to spend the money only to get tired of switching and not switch.

When you say it feels a tiny bit spongey do you mean lacking in feedback? Because I feel a sequential mode with not a lot of feedback when it engages to be undesirable.

Slowsley
25-09-2015, 06:11
You'll know you've shifted in sequential mode because the throw is fairly short and you'll hit the end of its travel...if that makes any sense. I guess it's the return that maybe feels a tad spongey. There's no "click, click" if that helps. Unless you're super super picky, I wouldn't really call it a deterrent. And if you are, well, I understand. Changing modes you'll just have to gauge for yourself. Do you typically spend 30 mins, an hour with a car, or do you jump cars like my ex-gf does guys?

Honestly, if I could only have one shifter on the market, it would be this one for its look, feel, durability, mounting, and of course, dual functionality. I should say though that I've never tried the CSQ so take it for what's it worth.

SUBGTRACER
25-09-2015, 06:39
The stock knob is of good quality .....

Slowsley
25-09-2015, 06:46
The stock knob is of good quality .....

Yeah I like it too and decided not to replace it, but it is light weight.

SUBGTRACER
25-09-2015, 06:49
I have thought about it , just didn't feel the need either I see many people have .

Silraed
25-09-2015, 08:15
I have heard it be criticized and "must be replaced" for the reasons that it is very light haha. Have also read that a slightly weighted knob can improve the feel of the shifter but I am not sure how much I buy into that.

Any other thoughts or opinions on the shifter or even how it compares side to side with the Fanatec CSS SQ, personal experiences only not opinions from watching/reading other peoples comparisons, are more than welcome.

Marrrfooo
25-09-2015, 09:17
I have thought about it , just didn't feel the need either I see many people have .

I've been flirting with the idea of picking one up for ages and was considering the follow-on of potential changes to the knob. I understand from reading around however that it requires knobs with 9.5mm connectors - which is relatively rare as most go for either 8-10m without .5mm increments. I hear some have used 9/10mm with some minor stuffing/padding but that seems like a bit of a pain...

MaximusN
25-09-2015, 09:59
I love my TH8. I don't use sequential mode, because I use the paddles when in sequential mode. But it's so much better than the G25 shifter which I only used a handful of times because it frankly feels like a toy compared to it.

I don't use it when I want to be really quick, but boy it adds about 50% to immersion when I do.:cool:

Only gripe I have with it(and all other shifters*) is that it's not connected to the clutch in any way. In a real car you can't get a shifter in or out of gear(well you can, but there will be a lot of resistance if the rev's aren't matched) without depressing the clutch. This makes misshifts something you have to notice from audio an visual cues and not something you feel instantly from the stick.

*=Except the software FFB joystick solutions that were around some 7 years ago in the RSC forums f.i.

AB_Attack
25-09-2015, 11:42
I don't use it when I want to be really quick
I shift faster with it compared to auto-clutch shifts (who uses clutch for paddels?) in most of the cars that one "has" to use H-shifter in order not to break immersion.

MaximusN
25-09-2015, 11:56
I shift faster with it compared to auto-clutch shifts (who uses clutch for paddels?) in most of the cars that one "has" to use H-shifter in order not to break immersion.

True, the shifts will be quicker 99% of the time than via paddles. The difference for me isn't the shifting itself, but in using 3 pedals. I'm definitely faster using 1 foot to brake and 1 to accelerate(partly because I can use them simultaneous more easily). And H-Shifting without using the clutch just feels wrong(and has the same auto-clutch handicap anyway so it's useless).

And the there's the risk of a misshift(partly because of the missing mechanical feedback of the clutch->gearbox connection).

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
25-09-2015, 14:07
In a real car you can't get a shifter in or out of gear(well you can, but there will be a lot of resistance if the rev's aren't matched) without depressing the clutch.Joking pedantry ahead! This is purely in jest:

More accurately "can't get a shifter into gear if the revs aren't matched" and "can't get a shifter out of gear when there's load on the transmission". The easiest and best way to get out of gear without using the clutch is to either apply pressure to the shifter and lift the throttle slightly if you're accelerating, or blip the throttle slightly if you're decelerating. The gear just wants to pop out. =)

Clutchless shifting of a normal car is a fun hobby that doesn't even cause extra wear when it's done smoothly, and I'd kinda argue that it's a skill worth learning (though not necessarily using every day), just in case you ever get stuck in a situation where your clutch breaks far away from home. Though admittedly most people would probably just ruin their gearboxes while learning it for the first time... =)

MaximusN
25-09-2015, 14:15
Joking pedantry ahead! This is purely in jest:

More accurately "can't get a shifter into gear if the revs aren't matched" and "can't get a shifter out of gear when there's load on the transmission". The easiest and best way to get out of gear without using the clutch is to either apply pressure to the shifter and lift the throttle slightly if you're accelerating, or blip the throttle slightly if you're decelerating. The gear just wants to pop out. =)

Clutchless shifting of a normal car is a fun hobby that doesn't even cause extra wear when it's done smoothly, and I'd kinda argue that it's a skill worth learning (though not necessarily using every day), just in case you ever get stuck in a situation where your clutch breaks far away from home. Though admittedly most people would probably just ruin their gearboxes while learning it for the first time... =)

Thanks for the explanation, I was too lazy to explain(so I took a shortcut with the rev-match thing ;) ). I can also do it, but there will always be some extra wear(if even done slightly wrong) so I don't do it in cars I want to last. ;) Heal-and-toe is the most race-like technique I use now and then.

AB_Attack
25-09-2015, 14:16
using 3 pedals. I'm definitely faster using 1 foot to brake and 1 to accelerate

misshift(

I agree and that's how it feels for a while when getting used to it. I misshifted, the engine coughed and I stuffed up corners and so on. It continued like that until I got angry and felt "well I bought the TH8A and the T3PA-Pro having a clutch to use it now and then, and so I'm gonna make it f--ing work!" and just continued plugging at it like the stubborn bastard I am. I continued shifting, on and on, until I didn't misshift anymore and I developed up my own primitive heal n toe technique because it's really necessary to make the driving work. Even if nobody told me about heal n toe, the need to rev the engine up becomes obvious by itself the more you play and then you end up doing it, with different levels of finesse, mine currently at the "violent elephant thick foot" stage.

It felt like a workout compared to the comfortable two pedal auto-clutch paddle shifts driving in GT3/Formula cars, but I improved. And really, I think that's really it: loads of practice. And then we will be fast. Of course we are being slower not being proficient at driving 3-pedal H-shifter controls.

I'm not great now with it, but much better, and I just kept at it long enough, improving enough, to realise what it really takes is more practice.

And then my GT3 and FA craving rose again. :D

kamilo62
25-09-2015, 14:59
For me its a very good shifter. For someone maybe too long switch between gears when you're using H-mode...I dont know how but for me thrustmaster t300 gte with th8a its not working in PC [ when im connecting with cable from wheel to Shifter - no response ]. Its not a plastic - you feel its a metal. Weight is also good :) I dont know what lvl have fanatec shifter but for me this one is good enough. - Logitech - Thrustmaster - Fanatec - Its your choose :)

cluck
25-09-2015, 16:29
I bought one when two of the gears started failing on my old G25 shifter. If I could change one single thing it would be the inclusion of some buttons, the way the G25 has them. Other than that, it's a fantastic shifter and hasn't skipped a beat so far in over a year of pCARS abuse.

I haven't tried the change from h-shift to sequential as I just use the pedals on the wheel for sequential shifting.

sailordude9980
25-09-2015, 17:12
I have one, I don't use it all the time, but it is really fun with the Shelby or Ford Boss. If you are looking to get faster lap times, don't get it. If you are wanting a more realistic Pcars experience, highly recommend. Just like with most hardware, it takes a little bit of tweaking to get it to work the way you want to.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
25-09-2015, 21:21
I can also do it, but there will always be some extra wear(if even done slightly wrong) so I don't do it in cars I want to last. ;)On the other hand you save on clutch wear on every shift. And it's not like the syncros aren't wearing at all when shifting with a clutch, a rev matched shift could well cause less wear than a normal one. =)

But yeah, it's not something to do all the time on a syncrobox, good skill to posses though, definitely. And a dogbox would be a very different proposition. =)

gti
26-09-2015, 02:56
Hi OP: If you are sticking with the G27 and only wants to have sequential mode .... why not just do a mod like this for free or a few cents??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxiKYdEWTY

A rubber band may not look nice but you won't be looking at it while racing :-P

yusupov
26-09-2015, 03:56
i love the look of the TH8A as an h-shifter, but i need to figure out a good mounting solution...the default wheelstand pro mount just puts it right level with the wheel which seems awkward. also hesitant to part w/ the logitech shifter since ill be losing 12 buttons along with it. i cant see myself bothering to put it in sequential mode very often tbh.

and yeah for the g27 i use a couple rubber bands, i dont know a damn thing about metal bushings or w/e, but in a race with the sound on its about as decent as the h-pattern. without the metal piece its very mushy, but in-game sounds can trick you into not really noticing it.

Lawndarts
26-09-2015, 16:49
I can't find any info on how it would/could mount to a humanRacing GT chassis using their own shifter mount...

And can't you fix the long throw if the TH8A by simply shortening the stick? I saw this in a video over a year ago...

Bkim
26-09-2015, 19:05
I like the H part of the shifter. Very Robust and i when the heat is on i really slam it into gear. I havent had any problems so far.
The sequential part....well, do not buy it for that. There is no force in shifting and oposite to the H shifter i was cautious because i was afraid i would break it down in heat of the battle. Now i use the TM shifter for the H part and a DSD for sequential.

Seelenkrank
26-09-2015, 19:36
well i got two TH8A (seq. + H-Shifter) and will buy a Fanatec clubsport shifter for H-Pattern. Why?
the TH8A has no locked reverse and 7. gear, i accidently shift sometimes from the 5. into reverse (not good...) or into the seventh gear (goes into N if the car has none ---> engine dies)
and then this truck like shifting ways...

Silraed
29-09-2015, 11:42
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, lots of food for thought.
I am confident I would be happy enough with the H pattern mode as an improvement over the G27 shifter, enough to not regret choosing it over the CSS SQ from a price difference point of view. But I am unconvinced over the sequential mode, which is equally as important as the H pattern mode for me.

What kind of feedback does the sequential mode give? Slowsley mentions it being a bit "spongey" on return which I don't think would be too huge of an issue, but how is it when you are changing gears? Do you get a nice feedback from hitting the shifter plate at the end of the throw or is it a kind of mushy resistance?
Also I know the resistance can be increased/decreased for H pattern mode but does that apply to the sequential mode as well?

Seelenkrank
29-09-2015, 13:39
seq. shifting is fine (i got a second one config as seq. shifter),but which feedback do you want from a shifter? it shift the gears up/down nothing more, the spring return to center (not to soft) thats it.
you can slam the gears hard or soft doesnt matter (but soft will do...)

Silraed
29-09-2015, 15:31
I guess what I mean with feedback is do you feel when the shifter recognises the shift, or is it simply a smooth movement forward/backwards until hitting the shifter plate and then back to centre. I am not expecting real life gearbox level feedback let me make that clear.

Can anybody confirm if the adjustable resistance/tension effects the sequential modes stiffness or does it only adjust the H pattern?

Seelenkrank
29-09-2015, 15:42
it has a magnetic switch inside.
you only feel the endpoint hit of the shifter.
resistance works only in H-Pattern!

Spitfire77
29-09-2015, 17:30
I love my TH8a - having both H pattern and sequential mode is awesome.

I use it on a wheel stand pro, but like others said the default mounting point is too high and far forward.

I created a cheap mount to get it into a better position and created a cheap short shift kit that both can be built for about $25 depending on the price you pay for the materials.

yusupov
29-09-2015, 17:33
i think what im going to do is clamp it to the g27 shifter mount....dont see why not. for some reason the g27 can be set a bit lower instead of dead even with the wheel like the th8a

Spitfire77
29-09-2015, 17:57
i think what im going to do is clamp it to the g27 shifter mount....dont see why not. for some reason the g27 can be set a bit lower instead of dead even with the wheel like the th8a

If you have the logitech shifter mount for the wheel stand pro that should work just fine. It is much lower than the TH8 shifter bar they provided. Not sure what they were thinking when they created the TH8 mount.

Silraed
30-09-2015, 04:56
Well I just made the purchase, hopefully I don't regret it.

Djinn
30-09-2015, 06:42
You won't regret it. I made the purchase too for my G27 and the TH8A is just awesome. It's a really big difference compared to the G27 shifter. :)

I haven't used sequential mode though because I switch cars from race to race and don't want to change the shifting plate all the time. When sequential, it's paddles for me. But I will try out the sequential mode of the TH8A sometime.

Silraed
30-09-2015, 10:27
I don't doubt it will be a big improvement over the G27 shifter, I just hope I don't regret picking the cheaper option instead of the Fanatec offering.

Djinn
30-09-2015, 11:03
I was thinking of the Fanatec CSS SQ too first, but then I realised I would need another mounting unit for my RSeat RS1, so I went for the TH8A.

Silraed
30-09-2015, 12:02
Mounting options for me was never a problem, if needed I could have just drilled the mounting plate that comes with my wheelstand and it wouldn't have any effect on my warranty.

The thing is I originally did place an order for a CSS SQ with the Australian distributor, not the official Fanatec website, then overnight Fanatec made a significant increase to their prices for Australia and the place I made my order had to refund it due to "issues with supply" and have pulled all Fanatec products from their site. The new prices leave the shifter + USB adapter combo $2 shy of $400 after applying postage, $40 just for the USB adapter alone! It was the USB adapters high price after the increases that put me off, if the base product is premium enough to cost $330 then $40 just for an adapter is ridiculous to me.

Silraed
05-10-2015, 15:49
Got the shifter this afternoon after quite a bit of nonsense from the post office and delivery service, but it was sorted in the end.

Thoughts after using it a little is that the throw is extremely long and wide, far more than I was expecting but I expect it will be a non issue after a week or so of using it and if not I am sure I could figure something out.
The clamp is extremely robust and very well designed but I ended up hard mounting it and it is solid as a rock.
The gear knob is extremely light weight and I am unsure about the rubberised bottom, it seemed to get a little tacky after my hand started sweating a little in the heat of battle. But perfectly usable, may look for a replacement but isn't necessary in the short term.
Sequential mode finally makes the lower level Formula cars really enjoyable for me and the same for the Ginetta Junior, I would have liked some kind of positive feedback like a click or a higher initial resistance you need to push through but overall can not complain as it gives me something I didn't have before.

I would like to thank all of the kind people who gave me their opinions and ultimately led to me making the purchase. You are the real MVP's.