PDA

View Full Version : 1999 BTCC Renault Laguna...?

Ben_UK
26-09-2015, 07:54
Hi there,

Some time ago there was the Renault licensing announcement and in that it mentioned the 1999 BTCC Laguna as part of the package. Is this car still coming to pCARS?

Cheers,

Ben.

Scuderia Paul
26-09-2015, 16:11
Apparently the car was only started a couple of months or so ago. If that is correct it is a while off yet. It may be a 2016 DLC.

Hopefully it's sooner as I am really looking forward to trashing the Laguna.

hdh
26-09-2015, 16:40
Hopefully it will be accompanied by other BTCC cars of that era. Otherwise it will pretty much only be useful for time attack and free practice mode.

Also, speaking of Renault and licensing. Is it possible for SMS to attain a license for the Formula Renault series (both 2.0 and 3.5)? As far as I know they're not in any other sim atm., and I'm assuming it is Renault themselves that controls the license.

dodge33cymru
26-09-2015, 16:46
3.5 is in rFactor2 I believe, but I doubt it's exclusive.

Jescott71
26-09-2015, 16:50
Hopefully it will be accompanied by other BTCC cars of that era. Otherwise it will pretty much only be useful for time attack and free practice mode.

Highly, highly unlikely, but IF a 1999 BTCC DLC was ever released, I might have to cancel all my plans for the next year or so :P

mister dog
26-09-2015, 18:11
I wonder why we all love the end of the 90's when it comes to BTCC? Great lineup of cars or more because we all played the early TOCA games :)

I agree though, having the rest of the '99 runners added would make for one great DLC package (and Thruxton circuit too whilst we're at it).

Dorny
26-09-2015, 20:10
The Super Touring Era of BTCC was just that good :P F1 level of budgets being spent and very high competitive attitudes from every manufacturer in a touring car series just creates a great racing time.

m355y
26-09-2015, 20:14
I wonder why we all love the end of the 90's when it comes to BTCC? Great lineup of cars or more because we all played the early TOCA games :)

I agree though, having the rest of the '99 runners added would make for one great DLC package (and Thruxton circuit too whilst we're at it).

The BTCC in the late 90s briefly had a comparable profile in this country to F1, didn't it? It was amazing.

Jescott71
26-09-2015, 21:33
Agreed. The profile was of BTCC in the late 90's was huge. You also had Ex-Formula 1 world champion Nigel Mansell competing in it, as well as a few other ex-F1 drivers. They also showed highlights on BBC Grandstand in the UK, which was massively popular at the time. I definitely think there's more to the BTCC love than just the PS1 game.

senn
27-09-2015, 03:20
I would wager a guess the average age of players would feel fondness for that era of cars as it's what they grew up with. Personally I'd like to see more Group A touring cars (or Group B rally) as it's what I grew up with :)

Beatminister
27-09-2015, 11:54
I think it was also attractive because it had a number of true racing spirit drivers in it, real characters. They didn't shy from a bit of door to door contact, different to this wincing that you hear in some current series at times, like DTM.
And the front drive cars were good fun in TOCA...

balderz002
27-09-2015, 13:14
The late 90's was a true golden age for BTCC.

Its still good viewing, but I don't feel it's as exciting as it used to be. Maybe that's rose tinted spectacles?

At the time, I didn't know where the drivers had come from. What their racing pedigree was. Now, looking at my bigger racing knowledge and good internet searching, these were top top drivers with a wealth of experience at the top of the motorsport tree! No wonder the racing was so close and exciting!

No offence to the current crop of drivers, but there aren't many F1 and sports car racers in the series!

Cheesenium
27-09-2015, 14:15
I am still hoping that we will get more late 90s BTCC than only Laguna.

balderz002
27-09-2015, 15:47
I am still hoping that we will get more late 90s BTCC than only Laguna.

Seems a waste if not, right?

Cheesenium
27-09-2015, 15:56

The lack of emphasis on touring cars is quite a waste, IMO. Some small GT classes such as trans am, group 5 and group c would be much better if it had larger grid.

DrDrum
27-09-2015, 16:04
Also, speaking of Renault and licensing. Is it possible for SMS to attain a license for the Formula Renault series (both 2.0 and 3.5)? As far as I know they're not in any other sim atm., and I'm assuming it is Renault themselves that controls the license.
Yeah Rfactor 2 has it along with a port to AC. Also iRacing has licensed both 2.0 and 3.5. Those are in the works.

Swinnyjr
27-09-2015, 16:21
Personally I'd like to see more of a HSCC feel with this Laguna. Ie, super touring cars from the 90s as a whole. Not just 1997-1999 cars.

Also, what I hope they don't do with the Renault, is put it with the current BMW 320 tourer we now have. As that's an S2000 spec car.

m355y
27-09-2015, 17:01
The late 90's was a true golden age for BTCC.

Its still good viewing, but I don't feel it's as exciting as it used to be. Maybe that's rose tinted spectacles?

At the time, I didn't know where the drivers had come from. What their racing pedigree was. Now, looking at my bigger racing knowledge and good internet searching, these were top top drivers with a wealth of experience at the top of the motorsport tree! No wonder the racing was so close and exciting!

No offence to the current crop of drivers, but there aren't many F1 and sports car racers in the series!

nah, it's great entertainment these days but it's nowhere near where it was 97-99, the cars aren't as spectacular, the drivers aren't of the same standard and the whole atmosphere around it is less intense, the closest thing to the BTCC heyday now in terms of the level of professionalism and driver standard is probably the modern day DTM.

mister dog
27-09-2015, 17:23
Haven't read anything about another BTTC from the late nineties so far, so don't hope on it. Or SMS must have licensed another one and it didn't leak :)

balderz002
27-09-2015, 17:30
If they surprised us with a car pack full of the rest of the grid...... Not only would I squeal like a girl, but would easily pay a tenner or more for the privilege of hustling round my virtual tracks in them!

Come on SMS! Give me THE reason to make me throw money at you!!!

Scuderia Paul
27-09-2015, 21:35
I would be very confident in PCars2 getting comprehensive late 1990s BTCC content but not PCars 1. The desire to see such cars here is huge and it may have caught SMS somewhat unawares.

Ben_UK
21-05-2016, 17:45
Still no news on this one?

Silraed
21-05-2016, 19:15
The Laguna was replaced by the Formula Renault 3.5 and the R.S. 01.
It won't be in pCARS 1.

Ben_UK
21-05-2016, 20:00
The Laguna was replaced by the Formula Renault 3.5 and the R.S. 01.
It won't be in pCARS 1.

Oh ok. What was the reasoning behind that? Was there an announcement that this was going to take place etc? First i've heard of it... :/

Silraed
21-05-2016, 20:55
It has been said in a couple threads but I'm not sure if there was ever an official announcement. If I recall correctly it was going to be too hard to source the reference vehicle and then build it, so it was swapped for the other two cars.
A good trade in my opinion.

Mahjik
21-05-2016, 22:20
Oh ok. What was the reasoning behind that? Was there an announcement that this was going to take place etc? First i've heard of it... :/

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43313-Questions-and-answers-in-here/page2&p=1198697#post1198697

Spitfire_88
22-05-2016, 03:58
In the Renault race pack, maybe was replaced fot the R.S 0.1, imo.

Joshua Healy
22-05-2016, 07:44
It has been said in a couple threads but I'm not sure if there was ever an official announcement. If I recall correctly it was going to be too hard to source the reference vehicle and then build it, so it was swapped for the other two cars.
A good trade in my opinion.

A lot of us touring car fans didn't think it was a good trade. I myself was really looking forward to this car as I love the 90s super touring cars.... But I know that it was mostly out of SMS hands so I can live with it :)

Silraed
22-05-2016, 11:51
A lot of us touring car fans didn't think it was a good trade. I myself was really looking forward to this car as I love the 90s super touring cars.... But I know that it was mostly out of SMS hands so I can live with it :)

I mean it in a "best of a bad situation" kind of way. Even as somebody who doesn't really care for the BTCC cars I think it would have been a mint car to have. But I have to say the R.S. 01 is one of my favourite cars in the game now so colour me biased :rolleyes:.

In the Renault race pack, maybe was replaced fot the R.S 0.1, imo.

There is a link to an official post from Casey right above your post that says that it was replaced with the R.S. 01 and the Formula Renault 3.5.

Scuderia Paul
22-05-2016, 22:08
The Laguna BTCC was my most wanted car after the Toyota TS040-Hybrid. I was gutted to hear it was not going to happen and the reason, of difficulty of sourcing and building, didn't help with my disappointment. A guy living in the UK owns 2 of them and one is always in storage apparently.

However, I think getting the R.S. 01 and Formula Renault 3.5 was a pretty good trade. The R.S. 01 is fantastic and the FR3.5 has it's moments although it has glitch / bug issues still. Given the choice I would still have opted for the Laguna but we have easily got nothing in lieu of it.

Cheesenium
23-05-2016, 03:08
At least we still get the RS01 and Formula Renault. The Ford Focus BTCC had completely disappeared from the game with BMW 320i as a single make. That BMW is still a fun car though.

Still, I am quite happy with the post release support for pcars. Hopefully pcars 2 will get a decent support cycle too.