PDA

View Full Version : Slower with a wheel

Brummy15
26-09-2015, 19:38
Hey all. I'm new to the wheel scene. I'm not the fastest player around but my lap times are slower to using a controller. Any hints or tips? Or should I give it time. I've got the logitech g920 wheel.

Flat_out
26-09-2015, 20:16
I'm slower with a wheel too!

malcster
26-09-2015, 20:22
I remember buying a fanatec CSR wheel for forza 4 on the 360
Anything quicker than b class was a nightmare and on average I was 20 secs a lap slower round the nurburgring

Hated it and sold it about 2 weeks later

centurian
26-09-2015, 21:09
Ah, a game controller, maybe that's what Nico Rosberg needs to beat Lewis Hamilton.
C'mon guys, practice and learn to drive properly. You ever seen a real life driver using a gamepad ;)

Brummy15
26-09-2015, 21:29
Yeh true lol. Also downstrairts car seems to go little to the right and left. Is there a settings I might have mest up?

Invincible
26-09-2015, 23:06
You just need to re-learn how to drive. When I switched from gamepad to wheel I was significantly slower too. But after I got used to it, my times dropped really fast and now I'd rather don't race at all before switching back to a gamepad.

Boskapongen
26-09-2015, 23:21
A thing that might help, (helps me) is to lower the FFB. I am faster when FFB is weaker. Try, start with 100 and go down by steps of 10.

GRTfast
26-09-2015, 23:35
Make sure to use the settings in the sticky thread at the top of this forum. From there it just takes practice. Maybe Google and read some real racing technique guides.

yusupov
26-09-2015, 23:44
i think its normal, takes a period to adjust. when i went from controller to wheel i was initially slower too. give it a week or two, youll wonder how you ever drove with a controller.

but yeah follow instructions & make sure the wheel is set up properly (really the main thing is the pedals work fully & the wheel movement matches 1:1 with what you see on the screen, but tuning ffb can help)

OpticalHercules
27-09-2015, 04:20
Definitely practice makes perfect. You can't have weeks/months/years of experience on a controller and expect to pick up a wheel and beat yourself on day one. You have to re-learn your controls, re-learn your reflexes.

Yeh true lol. Also downstrairts car seems to go little to the right and left. Is there a settings I might have mest up?

Consider increasing your Steering Deadzone if you haven't changed it yet. Also play with your Speed Sensitivity and Controller Input Filtering which seem to lessen the sharp reactions when trying to make minute adjustments at high speed. I also add in a little of the Damping Saturation. I don't know what that does yet, but I do know that I like having a little bit of it turned on over not. It's not a bog enough difference to be able to describe, only I know that having it on feels a bit smoother to me than not, without making the steering feel "squishy".

Also, when calibrating your wheel and pedals, do it SLOWLY. VERY SLOWLY. And do it twice. Make every wheel motion both directions, be very smooth when you do it, and be SLOW. For pedals, I get down on my knees and press them as slowly as possible with my hands. Using my feet just isn't smooth enough. Again, so it SLOWLY and do it TWICE.

wOoDsTeR16
27-09-2015, 04:51
I was the same when I started out with the wheel, you are slower to start but stick at it and speed comes with practice. Pick an easy track to start with, I always found Silverstone inter a good track to learn on

miagi
27-09-2015, 11:37
I was playing racing games with controller since... Mario Kart on SNES...
I was really good with gamepad, top50 in the first Thrustmaster even in the early stage WMD. However, in pCARS I decided to get a wheel, and was instantly quicker with it. Esp. long fast corner are so much easier to go thru with wheel. Also I was more consistent with the wheel. But it also took me some time to get fully used to using a whee, at first I was always bit too lazy on it.

Now, I love the feedback and am very very happy with it.

TenthDan
27-09-2015, 12:03
I had the same problem back with GT4 when I first got my DFPro. Took a couple of days but then I found in was always better with a wheel from then.

I think a couple of things: Correcting is harder at first because you need to be faster on the wheel than you think. Overdriving is easily done, due to (if you like GT/Forza gamepad controls) the input device now not helping restrict your inputs.

The main thing is, you'll be driving faster with the wheel soon enough :)

Brummy15
27-09-2015, 12:20
cheers for all the feedback guys. would you recommed some good tunes for gt3?

Goods_1973
27-09-2015, 13:03
Give it time, turn off the line too. I regularly top 3 in races in car. Only had a wheel 6 weeks.

Boskapongen
27-09-2015, 15:25
Good pedal set is also important. My stock TM TX pedals are shit compared to my G29 pedals. Huge difference.

HEF51
27-09-2015, 15:44
If you are using full assists that is probably why.

Full Assists a controller will mostly be just as fast with a wheel.

No Assists you will always be faster with a wheel.

Chiraq
27-09-2015, 18:43
When I got a Fanatec CSR Wheel I was really slow. But after adapting to it I was really fast with it. But it took a while. Good luck

nissan4ever
27-09-2015, 20:49
Just keep practicing. You'll get faster.

Mr.Smoke
27-09-2015, 23:07
I was in the same boat but quickly adapted to it & was happy when i started setting new personal best lap times. The right settings help too & since the G920/G29 are essentially the same thing, i suggest using the settings posted here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35635-G29-Discussions-Plus-Support-and-Settings) in the OP. I use those with tire force at 75 along with Jack Spades 2.2 classic FFB and am very happy.

Ryzza5
28-09-2015, 02:42
I had the same problem, just give it time.

Some tips:
Might go without saying, but don't use a 3rd person camera view. Use bumper/hood view to start off, then as you improve go for cockpit.
Drive slow/clean laps first and work your way quicker. Don't try to go flat out and then slow down as you seem to always fall off the track.
Look as far ahead toward the horizon/reference points/around the bend as possible. It will feel weird at first for a while, but trust your peripheral vision.
Smooth and deliberate inputs are key. Don't 'surprise' the car.

Hope this helps.

Haiden
28-09-2015, 18:59
Get your FOV setup properly, especially if you're using cockpit view. After that, just give yourself time to adjust to the wheel's feedback. Your brain is used to receiving and interpreting controller-based feedback. Half of the things your wheel is telling you, your brain doesn't know how to interpret and respond to yet, at least not instinctively.

CE 300
29-09-2015, 12:07
Project Cars is so much better with a wheel. It's not only incredibly fun, but also way more precise than using a controller. Somehow this game is a real pain in the backside with a controller. Some cars like the SLS AMG are only drivable with a wheel. Using a controller with the SLS means the slightest stick movement turns the wheel almost 90 degrees. Project Cars has it all: The best wheel using experience and by far the worst controller using experience known to mankind.

the_monk
29-09-2015, 12:44
Project Cars is so much better with a wheel. It's not only incredibly fun, but also way more precise than using a controller. Somehow this game is a real pain in the backside with a controller. Some cars like the SLS AMG are only drivable with a wheel. Using a controller with the SLS means the slightest stick movement turns the wheel almost 90 degrees. Project Cars has it all: The best wheel using experience and by far the worst controller using experience known to mankind.

hmmmn, which wheel you using?

Thx.

Franco Ferrari
29-09-2015, 12:49
You just need time and practice.

ALSO, it's better to start with the most docile cars in the roster.
You'd better practice more with cars like the Formula Rookie and Formula Gulf.
Then you can move to more powerful and twitchy cars.

Dynomight Motorsports
29-09-2015, 13:24
I've been using a wheel since 2011, and wouldn't go back for anything. I also only run cockpit view. I had to run a race with a controller (when my wheel died), and I was fast for a lap but couldn't maintain any type of consistency. The wheel is definitely better, once you get used to how the car reacts to it. Remember to turn your steering ratio down to get a quicker reaction from the front wheels. Its a personal preference but I usually run 10.4:1- 12.4:1 on GT3 cars depending on track. Also Caster will make the wheel feel more firm on the straights and allow you to run less static camber. Hope this helps and you enjoy your new-found controls.