PDA

View Full Version : Crowdsource more "tweets" and News varations for Career Mode?

artao
27-09-2015, 08:35
So as I'm sure we-re all aware, the tweets and News bits in Career Mode, while initially pretty immersive and cool in concept, do get pretty repetitive fairly quickly. The game could really use more variety here -- and a bit of a boost in .. call it "fan awareness" .. for instance, I often get the same negative comments when I finish 3rd instead of last. I'd like to see more "levels" of positive to negative comments, like "so-so" comments if you finish in the top-10, say. Or score only 1 point rather than 0, etc...
Anyhow, I'm guessing that last bit would more on SMS's end, since that might be an "engine" thing there.
But still, perhaps we, the community, could come up with a curated list of additional phrase segments to get put into the game. Maybe even endorsed by SMS. Perhaps it could end up officially in-game, since they also take user-submitted skins for official skin-pack releases.
I don't know anything really about the file formats used in pCars, so maybe this isn't currently feasible, but it seems to me -- with my limited-but-not-absent programming knowledge -- that this is all just basic text files to be inserted into the database that already exists. I would assume it pulls random phrase-bits to string together based on a set of basic rules for each individual phrase-bit.
I'm just talking about adding more phrase-bits to that database.
I hope it's doable, for those with the knowledge. I would certainly contribute phrase bits tho. ;)

EDIT: I put this in here rather than Feature Requests, because this is to the community more than to SMS. ... if i'm wrong i'm wrong, I shall be dealt with ferociously ;) :cool:

EDIT: corrected grammatical typos :boxing:

hkraft300
27-09-2015, 12:33
I'd rather Engineer Ben get his act right first :p
I think there is much more to him than we usually get. If his lines were extended or, he provided more useful/critical information about the car and race, it would add to the immersion much more than the fan tweets.
We have tire wear meters now. Track temp and weather information, tire/oil temperatures... If he would chime in for those, one could run with the HUD off. Like a real race driver.
Have I just detailed the thread? Maybe. To get back on point, how about the tweets getting tied to yellow flag incidents? With my limited knowledge of coding, I think some more parameters can be referred to by the fan tweets and activated that wouldn't be difficult but it's still time consuming work. How critical such a feature is on the to-do list is another matter. Anyway, all these features are a step in the right direction, and if not in pCars 1, but by pCars 2 is released I'd love to see these features expanded and implemented better.

artao
27-09-2015, 15:03
I'd rather Engineer Ben get his act right first :p
I think there is much more to him than we usually get. If his lines were extended or, he provided more useful/critical information about the car and race, it would add to the immersion much more than the fan tweets.
We have tire wear meters now. Track temp and weather information, tire/oil temperatures... If he would chime in for those, one could run with the HUD off. Like a real race driver.
That would be nice indeed.

How critical such a feature is on the to-do list is another matter.
That's why I'm proposing it as crowd-sourced, so SMS needs to expend little-to-no resources on it. ;)

mister dog
27-09-2015, 17:18
Dump it entirely please.

Shinzah
27-09-2015, 18:56
Dump it entirely please.

I don't think that's necessary.

I like the idea of crowdsourcing more variety for the career mode. I would rather see some more "kind" mid pack or below third place tweets. I really don't think all of my fans are such scathing critics. I've never seen a driver with whole masses of his fans tell him they're disappointed in 4th.

mister dog
27-09-2015, 19:10
^ The sad truth is we have no fans, probably because of how we look sitting on our rigs in our underpants sometimes :)
Some generic 'twitter' messages being shown at random can't convince me otherwise.

Shinzah
27-09-2015, 19:13
^ The sad truth is we have no fans, probably because of how we look sitting on our rigs in our underpants sometimes :)
Some generic 'twitter' messages being shown at random can't convince me otherwise.

And I don't actually drive a Formula B (and probably cant fit into one) and Sakitto doesn't actually exist and I'm not a three times Road TC champion.

You know the point of the career mode is to have the mindset and imagination of being a race driver, right? There's solo mode for what you seem to want. And maybe eventually custom championship.

mister dog
27-09-2015, 19:18
You know the point of the career mode is to have the mindset and imagination of being a race driver, right? There's solo mode for what you seem to want. And maybe eventually custom championship.
Well if the 'woohooo "insert name here' did it again! stuff" floats your boat why not. One good suggestion would be to implement real life messages from your sim racing friends on your platform. That would be good fun instead.

Shinzah
27-09-2015, 19:20
Well if the 'woohooo "insert name here' did it again! stuff" floats your boat why not. One good suggestion would be to implement real life twitter messages from your sim racing friends on your platform. That would be good fun instead.

Why would I want a FOURTH twitter application while I'm playing a game to specifically not be involved in reality?

Edit: Not only that, but having a main career page full of "I just ate the biggest ice cream" and "wow logitech wheel is on sale maybe I should buy one" breaks the point entirely of immersion. I don't want my twitter friends to be thrown in my face every time I run a race while they say absolutely nothing about what I just did.

So yes, if I just go from 25th to 1st in a race, I like a little applause from my not real followers. Because I have some imagination.

mister dog
27-09-2015, 19:22
Why would I want a FOURTH twitter application while I'm playing a game to specifically not be involved in reality?
I edited my post, meant more like an easy PM thing ingame, so you have a list of your buddies where you can see what they've been up to with their careers and you can sent whatever pops in your mind.

Shinzah
27-09-2015, 19:24
I edited my post, meant more like an easy PM thing ingame, so you have a list of your buddies where you can see what they've been up to with their careers and you can sent whatever pops in your mind.

.....I can just press shift-tab.

mister dog
27-09-2015, 19:33
.....I can just press shift-tab.
You mean to chat? I guess you are missing my point; it would be like a 'leave as message on a facebook wall' type of thing and you see it as soon as you boot up your career. Anyway it won't happen probably so i'm going to stop discussing this, or it will last for the whole evening.

Shinzah
27-09-2015, 19:37
You mean to chat? I guess you are missing my point; it would be like a 'leave as message on a facebook wall' type of thing and you see it as soon as you boot up your career. Anyway it won't happen probably so i'm going to stop discussing this, or it will last for the whole evening.

I really don't see how this feature would be helpful in an age where everyone has social media and the ability to communicate. I can just say to someone "How is your career going?" or "Do you have any tips on setting up X for Y?". I don't need a whole social media platform in my single player career. I can see this sort of thing working where it has been implemented by the likes of EA or Criterion with Burnout Paradise and the NFS stuff. But I'm not playing my career mode to beat my friends in speed points and lap times. That's what I have time trial and multiplayer for. I'm playing career mode to relax and imagine I'm a racing driver and immerse myself in that world where I'm not just some guy in his underpants driving a virtual race car with an analog stick.

mister dog
27-09-2015, 19:42
I'm playing career mode to relax and imagine I'm a racing driver and immerse myself in that world where I'm not just some guy in his underpants driving a virtual race car with an analog stick.
Seems i lost those imaginative skills myself, but to each his own ;)

hkraft300
27-09-2015, 21:44
I relax and imagine I'm ...some guy in his underpants ...with an analog stick.

Giggity ;)

Would that not result in mates just paying out on each other :p
I know that's how I'd use it lol
I get messages on this forum and through PS inbox for setup stuff and other race-related Comms...

Shinzah
27-09-2015, 21:46
Giggity ;)

Don't write cheques you can't cash, babe.

https://media.giphy.com/media/2eQ1722qSekTK/giphy.gif

hdh
27-09-2015, 22:05
I agree on both expanding the span and variety of tweets as well as straightening out dear old pit wall Ben. Would be nice if he would sometimes give you more realistic and relevant messages regarding pace and tire wear, engine temp etc. Atm. it's like: "you have a 30 second lead, KEEP PUSHING"! And regarding the tweets - your fans are either worshiping you like some Senna/Jesus combo, or pouring on the hate. Something in between would be nice.

pigsy
28-09-2015, 05:45
1 lap to go and you lead by 10 seconds. Pit engineer says "we need more of a gap to 2nd". Ah yeah. Some improvement needed there.

Then the social media side. Sorry but the programming energy put into this could be used better elsewhere. Just my opinion.

artao
29-09-2015, 04:38
some interesting comments .. i'm still hoping
I think the race engineer would be considerably harder, since you'd need voice recordings to match what already exists. probably outside of community "mod" level, for now
But just inserting more text into a database sure sounds doable by the community. We already have people modding cars, for instance, and they seem to be making decent progress. Adding text to a database has GOT to be loads easier than that, no? ;)