PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone GP layout?

NemethR
27-09-2015, 12:39
I was wondering if there is a special reason why we did not get the non-arena GP layout of Silverstone?

For me personally, that is "Silverstone".
And today, in the SMS-R clio event, I did a few laps, and was curious.

As you can see, the track is built:

Track leading from Abbey to Bridge:

Track from Bridge to Priory:

So basicly, one would only need to remove the barrier/tyres, and we could have this classic GP layout.

And as we can see, the track is still available IRL too: lookt at the tyremarks leading through the "classic" track, it is being used.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/New-Silverstone-Grand-Prix-Circuit-Image-with-Corner-Names.jpg

Has this been fogotten?

FS7
27-09-2015, 12:50
You mean the Bridge GP layout that was available in Shift 2? That would be a nice layout to have in PCars. I prefer that layout over the current GP layout.

cmch15
27-09-2015, 12:51
Hadn't thought of that but nice bit of sight seeing/detective work. Would be good, maybe a future expansion? Although the expansion packs so far have all the layouts with them I think.

balderz002
27-09-2015, 13:04
It might be in a future 'classic tracks pack'? Would make sense. Although that would all depend how 'classic' you would want to go?

doodleco
28-09-2015, 07:19
The old track is not available for racing IRL anymore, when they built the new layout they removed the fencing and the old part of the track is now accessible to fans. I often stand on the old track at Brooklands during the WEC.

LukeC
28-09-2015, 07:31
I was wondering if there is a special reason why we did not get the non-arena GP layout of Silverstone?

For me personally, that is "Silverstone".
And today, in the SMS-R clio event, I did a few laps, and was curious.

As you can see, the track is built:

Track leading from Abbey to Bridge:

Track from Bridge to Priory:

So basicly, one would only need to remove the barrier/tyres, and we could have this classic GP layout.

And as we can see, the track is still available IRL too: lookt at the tyremarks leading through the "classic" track, it is being used.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/New-Silverstone-Grand-Prix-Circuit-Image-with-Corner-Names.jpg

Has this been fogotten?

Same thing with the Barcelona Catalunya track. All they have to do is remove some barriers and we could have the pre-chicane layout, plus the current moto gp layout.

NemethR
28-09-2015, 10:16
Same thing with the Barcelona Catalunya track. All they have to do is remove some barriers and we could have the pre-chicane layout, plus the current moto gp layout.

Yeah, Barcelona would be great too, I loved the old layout, but I really hate the new one, the modifications just killed the track :(

LukeC
28-09-2015, 11:29
Yeah, Barcelona would be great too, I loved the old layout, but I really hate the new one, the modifications just killed the track :(

Yes, the chicane ruins it; the final turn used to be absolutely mighty. I'm curious about the omissions in light of the fact that project cars features multiple layouts.

Yorkie065
28-09-2015, 11:41
I'm going to take a guess at design choices and licensing. The first mainly due to the fact that these are obviously the tracks most recent configuration, which a lot of people like to have in games to replicate the races they watch in present times. Obviously whilst it would be cool to have the old configurations too, they would need approval by the license holders of the circuits. As you can see they are already modelled, but that's mainly due to being able to easily see those sections from the car whilst it's on the track.

There's a bit more to the Silverstone one too, as the current pit straight isn't in the same place as it was previously when they used to run the old configuration. Club corner used to be a much smoother and a more open curve, meaning the start finish would have been at a slightly different angle to the now start/finish(?). If they were to just remove the barrier so we could go through the old abbey and into bridge, it would be wrong and look different to how it was back in the days of the old configuration, possibly making it harder to get license approval.

Storm22
28-09-2015, 12:33
The old layout would be great to have in the game. Not just for nostalgia reasons but because it was a better drive, it had a good flow to it. I do miss going from Abbey, Bridge and then onto Brooklands.

I think we are getting the historic Silverstone so that should be fun, and fast!

NemethR
28-09-2015, 12:38
I'm going to take a guess at design choices and licensing. The first mainly due to the fact that these are obviously the tracks most recent configuration, which a lot of people like to have in games to replicate the races they watch in present times. Obviously whilst it would be cool to have the old configurations too, they would need approval by the license holders of the circuits. As you can see they are already modelled, but that's mainly due to being able to easily see those sections from the car whilst it's on the track.

There's a bit more to the Silverstone one too, as the current pit straight isn't in the same place as it was previously when they used to run the old configuration. Club corner used to be a much smoother and a more open curve, meaning the start finish would have been at a slightly different angle to the now start/finish(?). If they were to just remove the barrier so we could go through the old abbey and into bridge, it would be wrong and look different to how it was back in the days of the old configuration, possibly making it harder to get license approval.

I have to disagree Yorkie, as the "old" layout is still being used, look at the airal view.
There are tyre marks on the tarmac in the old layout.

As for the pits, it can use the "old" pits, just as the National track :)

And well, to be honest, I can't imagine why the rights holder would not allow to use that layout, as it is being used IRL too.
(both Catalunya and Silverstone)

poet
28-09-2015, 12:44
Bridge is now "permanently decommissioned"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_history_of_Silverstone_Circuit#Current_circuit_configurations

I believe they are allowed to use it for trackdays only. I don't think any race series uses it any more.

Yorkie065
28-09-2015, 14:03
I have to disagree Yorkie, as the "old" layout is still being used, look at the airal view.

As for the pits, it can use the "old" pits, just as the National track :)

And well, to be honest, I can't imagine why the rights holder would not allow to use that layout, as it is being used IRL too.
(both Catalunya and Silverstone)

Bridge is now "permanently decommissioned"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_history_of_Silverstone_Circuit#Current_circuit_configurations

I believe they are allowed to use it for trackdays only. I don't think any race series uses it any more.

Another quote taken from the article that Poet made:
On 1 March 2011, Silverstone Circuits confirmed that the Bridge section of the track had been decommissioned and would not be used again. Large scale earthworks are currently taking place to open up this area for spectators. "The old Bridge section of the circuit has been decommissioned and this has been sanctioned by the BRDC – however please note that the tarmac will still remain intact and not be removed. This decision was not taken lightly but with the development of The Silverstone Wing and the new pit lane exit, the Bridge section of the Grand Prix Circuit has been made redundant. The banked area that you have shown in your photo will open up the track at Luffield and will become a new spectator area bringing fans closer to the action."

I've been to the track a number of times since it changed it's configuration and whilst yes that section of circuit is still there, along with the skid marks, rumble strips and things, it is not being used other than an area for fans to walk from the Pit Straight and Abbey, to Brooklands and Luffield, and vise-versa. Never seen it used in any race series since and I don't know about track the days. The image with the arial view is around 5 years old, whilst the current wing building and pits complex was being built.

As for the licensing....I don't get why they wouldn't either. Surely it's a good thing having your track in a racing game, especially if it's both the old and new versions. But then again, I guess people could mistake thinking that the old version is the current and marketers or whatever obviously want them liking the new layout more.

doodleco
28-09-2015, 14:07

That was an old aerial image, the new pits wasn't even built when it was taken. All of the crowd fencing has been removed and it is now a viewing area for Brooklands and Luffield. Here's a picture of me and some friends stood on the track back in 2011. It's only use these days I think is for car club parking and drift/burnout events.

N0body Of The Goat
28-09-2015, 16:14
1990s track pack ftw \o/

balderz002
02-11-2015, 14:15
I wonder on the intentions of this older layout?