PDA

View Full Version : [RESOLVED] audio "pulsing" bug after patch 4?

tgrey
28-09-2015, 11:07
PS4 user here, and I'm not sure if this is specific to the ps4 version, or if all versions do this.

Since patch 4 there's a very noticeable "pulsing" in the audio. It seems to affect everything including the menu music, but it's harder to notice unless there's a constant steady noise (like an engine running). It's really obvious (at least to me) when i'm driving, to the point that it's becoming a big distraction.

I've been on vacation so I haven't played tons with the new patch, but I tested a few cars (the formula a and clio community events, the bmw 1m, formula rookie, and one or two others)... all seemed to have the bug equally, which honestly is no surprise since I heard it on loading menu music too.

I'm an audio engineer by trade, so I recognize that my ears my be more sensitive to something like that than most people... I didn't do any analysis, but if I had to guess I'd say it seems like the pulse is roughly 6-8Hz (constant, it doesn't change speeds), and it varies the volume by about 10%.

Has anyone else noticed this? Sorry if this has been pointed out before, as I mentioned, I've been traveling and didn't get to keep up on all the news when the new patch came out.

Roger Prynne
28-09-2015, 11:11
Anyone else get this or is it an isolated problem.

HiSpeeder
28-09-2015, 11:50
I posted in an earlier thread that on my PS4 after patch 4.0 on some occasions the engine sounds drop for a split second during (mostly) downshifting and (sometimes) upshifting. It is not constant, sometimes I hear it once or twice during a race, sometimes it's multiple times per lap. Had it with multiple cars on multiple circuits in multiple game modes (incl. career races, solo weekend and free practice). At first I wasn't really bothered by it, but now it tends to get annoying. Before patch 4.0 never had anything like this.

It's almost like there is a loose audio cable somewhere which doesn't make proper contact at certain moments (I had something like this with old headphones with a damaged cable), only that this is not the case as the sound comes straight from the TV and I don't have this experience with any other games or when watching TV. The only other similar thing I can think of, is when I was playing games on an old PC a long time ago and the PC's performance just couldn't keep up so the video and audio were stuttering when the CPU had heavy loads. But can't imagine that this is a PS4 performance problem.

Not sure if it's related to the OP's bug, but it might be due to a similar cause?

madmax2069
28-09-2015, 11:50
I dont have the issue, i use a headset so I would be able to hear this of it was happening in my game.

The only audio issues I see on PS4 are missing/additional and lowered sound effects (engine, tire, turbo, shifting, and so on), and stuttering opponent (non AI) engines sounds when playing online (same bugs since launch).

Probably should post a video of the issue you're having.

I posted in an earlier thread that on my PS4 after patch 4.0 on some occasions the engine sounds drop for a split second during (mostly) downshifting and (sometimes) upshifting. It is not constant, sometimes I hear it once or twice during a race, sometimes it's multiple times per lap. Had it with multiple cars on multiple circuits in multiple game modes (incl. career races, solo weekend and free practice). At first I wasn't really bothered by it, but now it tends to get annoying. Before patch 4.0 never had anything like this.

It's almost like there is a loose audio cable somewhere which doesn't make proper contact at certain moments (I had something like this with old headphones with a damaged cable), only that this is not the case as the sound comes straight from the TV and I don't have this experience with any other games or when watching TV. The only other similar thing I can think of, is when I was playing games on an old PC a long time ago and the PC's performance just couldn't keep up so the video and audio were stuttering when the CPU had heavy loads. But can't imagine that this is a PS4 performance problem.

Not sure if it's related to the OP's bug, but it might be due to a similar cause?

Thats been happening since launch. I don't believe its related to the OPs issue.

Bruno Alexandre
28-09-2015, 13:35
What kind of connection do use for audio on the PS4, configurations on console and what's in-between the console and the output speaker.

chig88
28-09-2015, 14:48
I think I've had this (to an extent).

Was racing in multiplayer at Monza, sound coming via the TV without a headset or any peripherals.

I was driving a Mitsubishi Lancer against a few drivers in BMW 1Ms. My engine sounded fine, but when those in the BMWs were right up behind me their engine was definitely 'pulsing' in & out (sounded like 'put put put put' constantly).

However this was just before patch 4.0.

tgrey
29-09-2015, 05:28
I dont have the issue, i use a headset so I would be able to hear this of it was happening in my game.
Probably should post a video of the issue you're having.

I can try to get a vid tomorrow, I didn't get a chance to race today. I'll also try with my headset too.

I was driving a Mitsubishi Lancer against a few drivers in BMW 1Ms. My engine sounded fine, but when those in the BMWs were right up behind me their engine was definitely 'pulsing' in & out (sounded like 'put put put put' constantly).

Honestly I didn't get to play patch 3 as much as I would have liked, it's possible it was there and I didn't notice it? But with how much it was annoying me in 4, I couldn't imagine I missed it. I was mostly doing TT and CE laps, so no opponent noises... it was definitely my engine. And Like I mentioned, I can (just barely) notice it on the menu screens effecting the music, usually only at specific points when the music is "calm".

What kind of connection do use for audio on the PS4, configurations on console and what's in-between the console and the output speaker.

I was playing with my audio going out hdmi to the tv, and some decent-ish logitech computer speakers plugged into the tv.

I'll test tomorrow with a headset and see if that changes anything.

madmax2069
29-09-2015, 06:33

That issue when online I do believe has to do with the game going out of sync (because it doesnt always do it) making the update frequency to not be smooth when it comes to throttle which makes the opponent engine sound like its stuttering (you can spectate and sometimes it will sound fine, then start sputtering like that). Which has been going on since launch, and is quite annoying. But this is unrelated to the OPs issue.

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLFhb0-8UY

chig88
29-09-2015, 11:49
That issue when online I do believe has to do with the game going out of sync (because it doesnt always do it) making the update frequency to not be smooth when it comes to throttle which makes the opponent engine sound like its stuttering (you can spectate and sometimes it will sound fine, then start sputtering like that). Which has been going on since launch, and is quite annoying. But this is unrelated to the OPs issue.

Don't think that's the issue I had.

The other people driving Lancers sounded fine - it was specifically a BMW 1M issue.

tgrey
29-09-2015, 16:45

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLFhb0-8UY

Can confirm, that is *NOT* the issue I'm talking about. This was in TT and CE, so I'm the only car on the track.

tgrey
29-09-2015, 22:15
Ok, the good news: My issue is now resolved.
The bad news: I have no idea why.
Oh well, I can't complain too much... glad to have my audio back sounding normal. If a mod wants to mark this "resolved" or whatever, please feel free!

To start my testing I confirmed I was still getting the pulses in 3 different cars. Then I tried switching audio to a USB headset, and the pulses went away.

Then to test if it was my speakers, the tv, or the PS4 HDMI audio output I unplugged my external speakers and just tested the TV's internal speakers. No pulses there either.

I tried a different audio headset (regular 1/8" jack, not USB) plugged into the TV, no pulses there either.

Finally, I plugged the speakers back into the TV, and now the pulses are gone there too. :boxing:

madmax2069
29-09-2015, 22:51
Ok, the good news: My issue is now resolved.
The bad news: I have no idea why.
Oh well, I can't complain too much... glad to have my audio back sounding normal. If a mod wants to mark this "resolved" or whatever, please feel free!

To start my testing I confirmed I was still getting the pulses in 3 different cars. Then I tried switching audio to a USB headset, and the pulses went away.

Then to test if it was my speakers, the tv, or the PS4 HDMI audio output I unplugged my external speakers and just tested the TV's internal speakers. No pulses there either.

I tried a different audio headset (regular 1/8" jack, not USB) plugged into the TV, no pulses there either.

Finally, I plugged the speakers back into the TV, and now the pulses are gone there too. :boxing:

A glitch gremlin that was killed by troubleshooting. I sort of hate those, because you never know if it was a fluke or a sign of things to come.