PDA

View Full Version : Aston Martin DBR1

Nekrobob
28-09-2015, 17:43
I miss a good Forcefeedback in this Car.
Its really hard to feel the Carweight here.
I drive with a Logitech Driving Force Gt but in other Cars the Forcefeedback is way better.
Are my settings wrong or its just the Car?

Casey Ringley
28-09-2015, 22:00
It's the car. Welcome to something designed and built in the late 1950s. :) There was still a lot to learn about the kinematics of steering geometry.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
28-09-2015, 22:10
I love the car, massive fun to throw around a track. The rear bump damping is perhaps a bit stiff compared to the front, so especially through bumps the car is a bit unsettled (there are definitely other things contributing to that in the suspension geometry though, but still), it helps to work on the dampers a bit. =)

What sort of diffs did they run back then? I've read that something like a cam and pawl thingie (the way that's been described to me was essentially locked during acc but open otherwise) was popular in some circles, but I have no idea what Aston would have used. Are the defaults set to replicate a period diff or something a bit more drivable as it is on many other cars?

Casey Ringley
28-09-2015, 22:20
IIRC, they put a clutch & ramp (Salisbury) type in the old Astons.

28-09-2015, 22:40
IIRC, they put a clutch & ramp (Salisbury) type in the old Astons.Kewl beens, that makes things simpler. Well kinda, they could still have used all sorts of ramps and clutch packs, but at least the type is known! =)

yusupov
28-09-2015, 22:56
it may bc im tired but i felt there was significant understeer in the default setup, anyone willing to share something with a little more rotation? couldve also been not being used to the ffb as i use jack spades.

senn
28-09-2015, 23:45
It's gonna push a bit, it has tyres from the 50's and old suspension. In all honesty all I do for FFB is wind the master up to the 40's in car setup and drive.

yusupov
28-09-2015, 23:56
yeah i tried again with some basic adjustments (only kind i know to do) camber/toe stuff, seemed ready to tackle the nordschleife.

29-09-2015, 00:21
it may bc im tired but i felt there was significant understeer in the default setup, anyone willing to share something with a little more rotation? couldve also been not being used to the ffb as i use jack spades.Front springs to 25, rear springs to 30 or 35 even, don't need to change dampers. Moves the spring bias from 22% higher frequency at the front to 14 or 23% higher frequency at the rear (depending on whether you go for 30 or 35 springs), which should help with understeer.

EDIT: To improve off-throttle rotation, you can reduce the dec lock in the differential settings. For the most part though cars like this should be cornered with at least some power on.

The tyres are also bias ply tyres, which live at relatively high slip angles: Don't be afraid to turn the wheel a bit more than on more modern cars. =)