PDA

View Full Version : Oval Racing is here

DECATUR PLAYA
29-09-2015, 07:19
Well it's not Nascar but it is a oval. The Mojave Coyote Noose track is a oval with a Darlington/Pheonix feel to it. I could have raced it all night. It's a lot of fun in the Monterey and the Ford mustang trans-am but it's also a pretty good time in the GT3s.

All the test tracks are really fun in multiplayer. Hoping for some pit boxes at some of the tracks especially Coyote Noose and the big boy oval would be nice to race at also.

Thank you SMS

Del Zotto x82x
29-09-2015, 16:02
I am in %100 agreement. I only had 15 minutes of Track time before work as I went to bed early last night but man I had a blast

Kingdeuce86
29-09-2015, 16:22
It may well be an oval, but the lack of a pit lane significantly reduces both the length and strategic elements of race you can host (unless you turn fuel/tire wear off) and therefore my desire to shell out more money on it.

Del Zotto x82x
29-09-2015, 16:27
It may well be an oval, but the lack of a pit lane significantly reduces both the length and strategic elements of race you can host (unless you turn fuel/tire wear off) and therefore my desire to shell out more money on it.

Here's the thing, unless you pay you have nothing that resembles an Oval... soooo, I made my choice and I am happy with.. Maybe some can get creative and come up with ways to make it work for full on races

Kingdeuce86
29-09-2015, 16:58
Here's the thing, unless you pay you have nothing that resembles an Oval... soooo, I made my choice and I am happy with.. Maybe some can get creative and come up with ways to make it work for full on races

My point is that I would rather wait and pay for an actual dedicated oval with pits, unless as you say there are ways of making it work on this track somehow, or SMS comes out and says ovals will never be on PC1, in which case this is our only option.

Shinzah
29-09-2015, 17:01
My point is that I would rather wait and pay for an actual dedicated oval with pits, unless as you say there are ways of making it work on this track somehow, or SMS comes out and says ovals will never be on PC1, in which case this is our only option.

Most Ovals here don't even have dedicated pits. Usually it's just a small parking lot either outside the oval proper or in the infield for preparation or hasty repairs. Most oval racing here is done in heats that can be accomplished on a single fuel run.

Kingdeuce86
29-09-2015, 17:07
Most Ovals here don't even have dedicated pits. Usually it's just a small parking lot either outside the oval proper or in the infield for preparation or hasty repairs. Most oval racing here is done in heats that can be accomplished on a single fuel run.

Now that I did not know.

Shinzah
29-09-2015, 17:09
Now that I did not know.

I do think it's a little unfortunate not to be able to pit as it would add some variety to the types and lengths of races, for sure.

But even the Caper can run a VERY decent amount of laps around Noose as it is, so ^^;

I do hope everyone gets their pits that they want and that test track in general comes to online mode, as the layouts aren't bad for racing on.

Kingdeuce86
29-09-2015, 17:14
While we're on the subject, can you set the outer ring as one of the layouts for a race in Mojave? When I saw a vid on youtube I saw four layouts but they all used the inside tracks with parts of the outer ring included in some cases.

Shinzah
29-09-2015, 17:17
While we're on the subject, can you set the outer ring as one of the layouts for a race in Mojave? When I saw a vid on youtube I saw four layouts but they all used the inside tracks with parts of the outer ring included in some cases.

The big boy super oval is not a race layout, it can be run in free practice but portions of it are apparently a bit buggy. I'd expect it might be patched up or added as a layout when we get the Fusion NSCS car or Indycars.

DECATUR PLAYA
29-09-2015, 19:20
The big boy super oval is not a race layout, it can be run in free practice but portions of it are apparently a bit buggy. I'd expect it might be patched up or added as a layout when we get the Fusion NSCS car or Indycars.

How buggy it is seemed to depend on which car you drive. The GT3s can only go halfway up. The LMP1 I drove can go all the way to the wall. As far as Coyote Noose the pit box would add depth but the racing is enough for me. For guys who were wondering how well SMS could do oval racing they do it pretty damn good. Some of the other tracks got some wild turns and the big boy oval infusion with some of those tracks is awesome.

thepharcyde
29-09-2015, 19:29
ovals suck /thread

Shinzah
29-09-2015, 19:58
ovals suck /thread

Post reported. /notification

DECATUR PLAYA
29-09-2015, 20:31

You can't pit but you can set the car up in free practice and the racing is definitely worth it. When will we get a community event for the Noose.

senn
29-09-2015, 21:19
Surprised you guys aren't talking about racing Cougar ridge. It has around 1/4 of the track as an oval + long sweeper into straight. Really fun layout with elevation changes. I know it's not a pure oval but plenty of fun

Beatminister
29-09-2015, 21:30
I absolutely love the test track! Such a variety of tracks - but best of all is the outer ring. On that you can find out how fast a car really can get. Did anyone drive comparisons yet? I was baffled to find that the Caper is exactly as fast as the Formula A - 333kph.
But the are some weird effect when you go higher up the wall at top speed, almost as if the engine is cutting out or the pistons are locking. The Mustang Fastback even went into a wild spin in an instant.
Lower down it seems ok, but its eating the tires there badly.

Umer Ahmad
29-09-2015, 21:48
Yeah stay away from wall.

NASCARs can hit over 200mph, not surprised. "Ovals suck" i guess. ;)

Gordon
29-09-2015, 21:55

Further to this, something I mentioned in WMD days, most competitors do not have access to a dedicated pit spot or garage. Adjustments and repairs are all done in the car park. I don't understand why this can't be simulated.

Shinzah
29-09-2015, 22:01
Further to this, something I mentioned in WMD days, most competitors do not have access to a dedicated pit spot or garage. Adjustments and repairs are all done in the car park. I don't understand why this can't be simulated.

It can be, it'd just be a really awful chore to do pathfinding from each paddock location to the course or add a per-series tuning/pit menu based upon it.

senn
29-09-2015, 22:07
I absolutely love the test track! Such a variety of tracks - but best of all is the outer ring. On that you can find out how fast a car really can get. Did anyone drive comparisons yet? I was baffled to find that the Caper is exactly as fast as the Formula A - 333kph.
But the are some weird effect when you go higher up the wall at top speed, almost as if the engine is cutting out or the pistons are locking. The Mustang Fastback even went into a wild spin in an instant.
Lower down it seems ok, but its eating the tires there badly.

Formula cars are much lighter but have loads of downforce. Stockcars heavier but less downforce. Not a complete surprise the top speed is similar, given a long enough piece of road...

DECATUR PLAYA
29-09-2015, 22:24
Surprised you guys aren't talking about racing Cougar ridge. It has around 1/4 of the track as an oval + long sweeper into straight. Really fun layout with elevation changes. I know it's not a pure oval but plenty of fun

Cougar Ridge is nice. I think all 5 raceable layouts are awesome. The Noose just caught me because of the oval. Which one is the track with the vertical drop right-hand turn. That portion of that track is a absolute rollercoaster ride.

havocc
29-09-2015, 22:26
I absolutely love the test track! Such a variety of tracks - but best of all is the outer ring. On that you can find out how fast a car really can get. Did anyone drive comparisons yet?

I pushed C9 to 390 km/h :)

diesel97
29-09-2015, 22:36
Yeah stay away from wall.

NASCARs can hit over 200mph, not surprised. "Ovals suck" i guess. ;)

The wall should not act like a gravel pit

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
29-09-2015, 22:44
Formula cars are much lighter but have loads of downforce. Stockcars heavier but less downforce. Not a complete surprise the top speed is similar, given a long enough piece of road...Weight doesn't have that much to do with top speed (it is a concern via rolling resistance, but it's not that bad), it's more about the acceleration. Top speed is primarily power vs. drag (aero and rolling resistance), so the car with the most power and least drag wins, and F1 cars have horrible drag coefficients (way past 1, vs. more like 0.3 in road cars). They're smaller though which helps (aero drag = drag coefficient * surface area), but anyway, the Caper is definitely more slippery in that sense.

However if you actually pull down the wings and adjust the gearing in the FA and just overall make a top speed setup for it, as well as use DRS and KERS, you can get it to hit at least 376 km/h. =)

29-09-2015, 22:54
I pushed C9 to 390 km/h :)Damnit, I could only reach 388 km/h in the McLaren F1 road car. =)

Shinzah
29-09-2015, 22:58
You crazy speed demons.

CCM
02-10-2015, 06:08
Ok it's not a regulated race oval but it is a oval. I have already notice post regarding best lap times and how fun the oval is. I have seen videos and the challenge of having the fastest time on the track has already begun. See drivers like a challenge racers want to be the best they can be when they compete with others. You see a lap time and it just makes you want to beat the best time and it drives you and motivates you to beat that time.. So anyway thanks for the fun and I look forward to many more ovals to come to Pcars. Oh would be nice to have a time trial for Mojave I think it would be fun.

hkraft300
02-10-2015, 08:12
Looks like a circle to me.

Flat_out
02-10-2015, 08:28
Can't drive the full length of it on my Xbox.Cars slow themselves!

hkraft300
02-10-2015, 08:46
Looks kind of round to be an oval, no?

Can't drive the full length of it on my Xbox.Cars slow themselves!

Don't go too high up the banking. Avoid the top lane.

Flat_out
02-10-2015, 08:53
Ohhh OK.

ONT
02-10-2015, 14:56
That's one small step for SMS, a GIANT step for OVAL racing :)

Beatminister
02-10-2015, 15:40
Well, its a circle really, and regretably we cant determine any lap times, only top speeds that cars can reach. And as yet there is a bug that prevents you from going higher into the wall. Which will be adressed soonish. I hope.

But in general I agree with you: its a step in the right direction. A true big boys playground. :)

Del Zotto x82x
02-10-2015, 15:46
Ok it's not a regulated race oval but it is a oval. I have already notice post regarding best lap times and how fun the oval is. I have seen videos and the challenge of having the fastest time on the track has already begun. See drivers like a challenge racers want to be the best they can be when they compete with others. You see a lap time and it just makes you want to beat the best time and it drives you and motivates you to beat that time.. So anyway thanks for the fun and I look forward to many more ovals to come to Pcars. Oh would be nice to have a time trial for Mojave I think it would be fun.

Its enough to shut you and I up till we get the Oval pack, right... haha

Cheesenium
02-10-2015, 15:59
Don't go too high up the banking. Avoid the top lane.

I guess this would be great as Mojave will iron out the some potential issues by the time the real ovals arrives.

It is a circle now, it isnt an oval.

Del Zotto x82x
02-10-2015, 15:59
Well, its a circle really, and regretably we cant determine any lap times, only top speeds that cars can reach. And as yet there is a bug that prevents you from going higher into the wall. Which will be adressed soonish. I hope.

But in general I agree with you: its a step in the right direction. A true big boys playground. :)

I think yall are a lil confused.. I think OP is talking bout the Noose variation of Mojave

edit: Maybe he is not, to me the Noose variation is the oval type of track that I am having the most fun , specifically in the Caper

Swinnyjr
02-10-2015, 16:07
That was the first thing I did on the mojave oval track (after making a few fallout new Vegas jokes) was take the Monterrey stock car on that banking. OH IT FELT SO GOOD.

Knightfall
02-10-2015, 16:14
That was the first thing I did on the mojave oval track (after making a few fallout new Vegas jokes) was take the Monterrey stock car on that banking. OH IT FELT SO GOOD.

I also did this. +1

Beatminister
02-10-2015, 16:19
I think yall are a lil confused.. I think OP is talking bout the Noose variation of Mojave

edit: Maybe he is not, to me the Noose variation is the oval type of track that I am having the most fun , specifically in the Caper

No, I think he meant the O-Ring. That track in the infield is not a "real oval" IMHO. It has not the steep turns and goes up and down ect. But I imagine it can be good fun in the Caper, or the TransAm, too. Didn't try that yet.

Swinnyjr
02-10-2015, 16:22
I also did this. +1

Though the gearbox needed some serious attention first I learnt

ermo
02-10-2015, 16:27
Being a bit of a pedant, I can't help but comment that -- strictly speaking -- a circle is a specific form of ellipse where both focal points sit in the same spot (i.e. the center of the circle). And since an ellipse is a specific kind of oval, a circle is also an oval.

But not all ovals are circles. So there. :eagerness:

Umer Ahmad
02-10-2015, 16:32
merged

02-10-2015, 18:26
Being a bit of a pedant, I can't help but comment that -- strictly speaking -- a circle is a specific form of ellipse where both focal points sit in the same spot (i.e. the center of the circle). And since an ellipse is a specific kind of oval, a circle is also an oval.

But not all ovals are circles. So there. :eagerness:Oval isn't really a strictly defined thing in geometry, other than in projective geometry, it's just a general shape that looks a bit like an egg and doesn't deviate too far from an ellipse, and usually incorporates at least one axis of symmetry. =)

DECATUR PLAYA
02-10-2015, 19:26
No, I think he meant the O-Ring. That track in the infield is not a "real oval" IMHO. It has not the steep turns and goes up and down ect. But I imagine it can be good fun in the Caper, or the TransAm, too. Didn't try that yet.

Richmond and Martinsville in Nascar don't have any banking and Pheonix has slight hills or elevation change. The overall shape of the Noose is like Darlington without the banking. Pretty genius track design in my opinion.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-10-2015, 19:51

Zotto try the Mustang Trans-Am it feels closer to a Gen 6. I hadn't figured out how to get the front end to stop jumping around but when it sits down it's really glued to the track.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-10-2015, 19:58
I also wanted to say well done on the tire fall off at Coyote Noose. I'm not familiar with tire fall off in road track racing so it's been a learning experience but from some of the Nascar games I've played I am familiar with oval track tire fall off and from the racing I have done so far at Coyote Noose the fall off rates are well done.

We need the pits there badly. The fall off rates would make for some really fun long races.

Job well done SMS.

DEDDGUY3
02-10-2015, 21:48
Well it's not Nascar but it is a oval. The Mojave Coyote Noose track is a oval

no its not. an oval track has either all left turns or all right turns a road course has both like the noose, i will wait a couple months to by some real ovals.

Del Zotto x82x
02-10-2015, 21:55
no its not. an oval track has either all left turns or all right turns a road course has both like the noose, i will wait a couple months to by some real ovals.

uh ok, no one ever said you had to buy the pack, but you are missing out...

DEDDGUY3
02-10-2015, 22:30
no im not. plenty of road courses in the game already, just dont like people making false statements to get one to waste his money. good thing i waited for the utube videos of the noose road course.

DEDDGUY3
02-10-2015, 22:30
no im not. plenty of road courses in the game already, just dont like people making false statements to get one to waste his money. good thing i waited for the utube videos of the noose road course.

Del Zotto x82x
02-10-2015, 22:36

Excuse me, who was making false statements?
you might be talking about ones opinion , but that's not false statements, its the same as your opinion, an opinion

CPU M Rossi
02-10-2015, 22:44
its a roaval

DEDDGUY3
02-10-2015, 22:52
Excuse me, who was making false statements?
you might be talking about ones opinion , but that's not false statements, its the same as your opinion, an opinion

i dont see the word 'opinion' in the original post.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-10-2015, 23:03

First off buying the best racing game out wouldn't be a waste of money and secondly the fact that my 2 right tires are chewed to pieces after constantly making left turns is enough oval for me. My core racing buddys are old Nascar friends and they love it. To each his own I guess.

blacknred81
03-10-2015, 00:36

So... Is Trenton not an oval?

hkraft300
03-10-2015, 01:03
SMS better get the ovals correct next time! Best not put any right turns or you may have an angry left-turning mob beating down their keyboards at this forum!

/inflammatory ;)

ONT
03-10-2015, 04:53
That Mojave ghost thing need SAFER barriers :)

SMS You know there is excellent assets available from the OVAL tracks...cough cough cough :)

CCM
03-10-2015, 08:45
Its enough to shut you and I up till we get the Oval pack, right... haha

lol Yea i know right :).

Beatminister
03-10-2015, 13:27
I know I'll get some flak for it, but I must tell that it seems a little weird to me, how some people complain about the content of the new DLC.
What did we get for our 5 or 6 bucks? A large areal with several tracks that are good fun to drive, and a test circle track that is pretty unique in driving sims AFAIK. Plus several pretty good cars (even if I'm not a Aston fan myself). For 5 or 6 bucks.
How easy do we spend (waste) that elsewhere in life? I mean, just make yourself a sandwich instead of ordering a pizza next time, and you got that money saved already - and that for the next DLC perhaps, too. And its propably healthier as well.

03-10-2015, 14:15
Indeed. The DLC costs less than a Double Cheeseburger meal costs here. Right across the line I've been surprised by how cheap these DLC are for the content included, I always fully expected them to be twice what they are now.

diesel97
03-10-2015, 16:21
That Mojave ghost thing need SAFER barriers :)

SMS You know there is excellent assets available from the OVAL tracks...cough cough cough :)

Yes the "wall riders " would love that :cool:

CPU M Rossi
03-10-2015, 17:01
Indeed. The DLC costs less than a Double Cheeseburger meal costs here. Right across the line I've been surprised by how cheap these DLC are for the content included, I always fully expected them to be twice what they are now.

shhhhh :p dont give them any ideas (even tho I do agree)

NBRacing16
03-10-2015, 19:09
I am happy with the Mojave test track. right now in project cars my favorite car is the caper nascar and my favorite track is the Mojave test track. I just wish that I could run the large oval loop as a race instead of just free practice

NBRacing16
03-10-2015, 19:10
I do like that their is a track that can emulate oval racing but it needs to have pits on it and we need the big banked loop to be a track to race on