PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR and Project Cars

Xionax
29-09-2015, 08:08
Hi,

I'm currently looking into TrackIR and if this is something worth buying. I got a single good size screen setup.
The thing i'm wondering about is if TrackIR is something that can be used for the long run or only for a couple of weeks as long as its fun to play with.

Hope you guys can help me make the right decision.

Thanks!

rocho
29-09-2015, 09:05
I'm using an old TrackIR 3 Pro since day one and it works fine, I don't play any sim without it.
But I'm going to buy an Oculus Rift because I think that the experience will be much more immersive.
Maybe you should consider buying a second-hand TrackIR if you want to give it a try because VR is going to render this device obsolete.

yusupov
29-09-2015, 09:06
im switching to a 40" display & have been wondering about this too. id like to be able to manually look to certain apexes but i dont know how awkward the whole thing is & ive never seen anyone say it really helped make them faster. really hard to tell if itd be more or less comfortable than as-is.

Sankyo
29-09-2015, 09:09
I've been using it for a long time in race sims, and for me it adds a lot to the immersion, and it does help with looking into corners as well.

I've read enough though to know that it isn't for everyone. I've gotten used to it, but there are people who never got along with it. Good tracking settings can do a lot, but some people just get lost when the view starts moving with their head :)

yusupov
29-09-2015, 09:13
is there any good reason to get a trackir 5 instead of a 3 or 4 as far as sim racing is concerned?

nhitrac
29-09-2015, 09:18
Takes a bit getting used to and you really do need to have it calibrated to your own head/brain. I.e. no point using someone else's profile as it probably wont work for you.

At first it made me a wee bit nauseous and made me run off the track, but soon becomes second nature and more 'natural' as it's great for looking at the apex, and quickly glancing left/right..

For my racing sims, i zero out the X, Y, Z axis and keep the roll axis at a minimum. Its the yaw and pitch you want... at least for me.

nhitrac
29-09-2015, 09:20
is there any good reason to get a trackir 5 instead of a 3 or 4 as far as sim racing is concerned?

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html

Check out the video explanation too

Sankyo
29-09-2015, 09:30
IIRC the performance increase from 3 to 4 was significant, and also the mounting is much better with the 4. I've looked at upgrading my 4 to 5 a few times but couldn't justify spending the money on it as I couldn't see anything that would get significantly better.

Yorkie065
29-09-2015, 10:37
I use TrackIR 5 and I'll happily say, providing you have 3 or more games that utilise it's functionality, it's more than worth the buy! For use in Project Cars, obviously as others have said it helps to look into the apex, look into the mirrors and around the cockpit, glance out the side windows....it basically gives you huge spacial awareness as you can easily look to see where other cars are coming around you. If you get a good bunch of settings you like, it will become very natural and probably end up wishing that those games that don't have it, did!

In terms of VR coming soon, I don't think that VR will make TrackIR obsolete! If anything it will probably drive sales for it up. The practicality is one huge advantage to VR, as you still have the same sort of motion tracking (ok so it's a tiny bit slower than Oculus, but it's very minimal and the response times in general is very quick anyway) but you don't have a screen infront of your eyes so you can still use the keyboard, mouse, buttons on wheels very easily which you wouldn't be able to do with a VR screen a couple of inches from your eyes.

As for short vs long term use; you can easily do long term providing you look after it. I've had it for 2 years now and the only thing that has broke on it is the USB cable for the Track Clip Pro thats connected to my headset. It was my own doing, the cable got snagged and tangled a number of times and ended up splitting in 1 places. Whilst trying to repair it, I ended up breaking it so just ordered another Track Clip Pro and everything is golden again. Even knocked the sensor that sits on the top of the monitor a couple of times and it's still holding strong. Plan on continuing to use it for as long as it can go on for and at the moment, because I have it, I'm not too bothered about VR headsets. You should be able to get the TrackIR 5 and the Track Clip Pro for about 135 on amazon. Thats how much it was when I last looked anyway.

Any other questions, feel free to ask :)

artao
29-09-2015, 22:30
Once you get used to driving with head-tracking, it's hard to go back. I've found it has definitely helped improve my lap times, as it helps me to drive smoother and with greater situational awareness in general. Also more immersive. Now, when I drive without head-tracking, it just feels weird.
I've got all the degrees of freedom axis running as well, so I can "move around" in the car as well. I was just in a race in a Clio, and was able to look around that dang roll cage thru a few corners by moving my head left/right and tilting. So cool.
I'm not using TrackIR tho, I'm using FaceTrack NoIR (along with OpenTrack .. it's complicated) with a DIY 3-point light hat. It works excellently now, after a bit of setup and curve tweaking.
FaceTrack No-IR is free, and I spent under 20 bucks putting together a 3-point light hat.

yusupov
30-09-2015, 00:04
@yorkie065, what does the track clip pro add? from what i can tell its typically not needed?

also curious which sims support/dont support this -- i would assume stock car extreme & probably rfactor2 dont, but iracing, AC, obviously pCARS all do?

Sankyo
30-09-2015, 08:15
@yorkie065, what does the track clip pro add? from what i can tell its typically not needed?
From what I've read, it doesn't add that much. You don't need to wear a cap, but you do need something else like a headset to attach it to. If you're wearing a headset anyway, it may be nicer than wearing a cap. I've read though that with the track clip head turning movements are more limited.

also curious which sims support/dont support this -- i would assume stock car extreme & probably rfactor2 dont, but iracing, AC, obviously pCARS all do?
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/enhanced-games-all.html