PDA

View Full Version : DLC Direction

azidahaka
30-09-2015, 10:32
Not going to moan or annoy or wish to create rage and wars around, but after talking with many fellow races here and on gtplanet, i was wondering if it was possible to shift the DLC focus in a more user friendly format.

Late me explain, i'm not asking a piece by piece separate buy as many has suggested for i think Ian was quite clear making us understand that there are some extra costs in going that way. What i mean is that many users would like to have a "serie dedicated" pack instead of a "manufacturer dedicated pack" for it would pack together cars meant to race together.

i.e. " '90 touring cars", "LMP1", "gt3", "classic f1", etc etc. Whether they would or not contain tracks too, they would make up for an easier way to get what an user would be most interest into, and make sure that, for example in an online GT3 league, all drivers buying just one or 2 packs have access to all the available cars that could run in those regulations.

i'm not sure if this would be feasible for i understand that licenses may be acquired at different times but i would like to hear a word about that. Right now the dlc seems a bit "mixed" content; like a bit of everything that might suit most people, instead then a focused target.

Thanks for reading, let's keep up with PCars, i'm sure in time many people that are gonee complaining will come back! :yes: It's nt like there's better around :cool:

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 10:36
It's an idea, and I'd support it but there's two major logistical factors.

The cars aren't being worked on in a class specific manner. They're probably working on manufacturer content as they get the go-ahead to do it, but also, there's a potential many cars in various stages of completion (it takes a long time to make a car)
The other being, the manufacturers may not want their cars to be released in a class specific manner. This is usually much easier for larger studios to get away with.

I do like the idea, as its in support of the "On Demand" theme, though.

azidahaka
30-09-2015, 10:44
It's an idea, and I'd support it but there's two major logistical factors.

The cars aren't being worked on in a class specific manner. They're probably working on manufacturer content as they get the go-ahead to do it, but also, there's a potential many cars in various stages of completion (it takes a long time to make a car)
The other being, the manufacturers may not want their cars to be released in a class specific manner. This is usually much easier for larger studios to get away with.

I do like the idea, as its in support of the "On Demand" theme, though.

Theoretically would it be possible at a later time to make "Themed Packs of already released cars" I mean if in the future we reach, say, 4 new gt3 cars or 4 new LMP1 prototypes, have pack of them only? Same with tracks if someone doesnt want to buy them inside the pack already released?

It might be a workaround to the issue?

Flat_out
30-09-2015, 10:47
Think it's an idea but the way the dlc is put out just now gives me the chance to drive cars that I would never purchase in a group of their own.
And a few of these cars have surprised me and I actually race them when I would never have gave them a go!

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 10:50
Theoretically would it be possible at a later time to make "Themed Packs of already released cars" I mean if in the future we reach, say, 4 new gt3 cars or 4 new LMP1 prototypes, have pack of them only? Same with tracks if someone doesnt want to buy them inside the pack already released?

It might be a workaround to the issue?

This is actually a pretty great idea. I'm not sure what the costs involved would be. Maybe someone can comment on that.
It'd be really nice to have themed packs of classed cars near or after the main DLC release cycle when no more cars are expected in given classes.

It's tough to say though, because the big thing is the manufacturer deals might have included exclusive DLC and been locked tightly to that. They often don't play nice with each other (on the track, or in the business world.)

Raven403
30-09-2015, 11:03
I like the idea, but I guess it would depend on how many cars in each class from the DLCs you could group together in packs at the end of the DLC cycle.

What I would like to see is a Poll for the Cars Requested like we got for the tracks, this way we can see what some of the most popular requests are. If everyone had 2 or 3 votes it could show where alot of the interest is for future DLC. Although based on the voting trends in the tracks thread I could regret that idea

azidahaka
30-09-2015, 12:37
This is actually a pretty great idea. I'm not sure what the costs involved would be. Maybe someone can comment on that.
It'd be really nice to have themed packs of classed cars near or after the main DLC release cycle when no more cars are expected in given classes.

It's tough to say though, because the big thing is the manufacturer deals might have included exclusive DLC and been locked tightly to that. They often don't play nice with each other (on the track, or in the business world.)

I think it *might* actually help increase sale... Good to hear my views and ideas are not frown upon :)

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 12:43
It'll almost certainly help post DLC cycle sales and sales during the wind-down of the games life (Which is I think two years supported? Or maybe just one.) The question there is: Does the additional sales justify the costs of releasing these packs? That, we do not know, sadly.

I think they might do. But I don't know how much it's costing SMS to front DLC across all three platforms.

Your ideas are good ideas. I'm not sure the possibility of them, but they are really good ideas and not bad ones by any stretch.

Raven403
30-09-2015, 12:51
It'll almost certainly help post DLC cycle sales and sales during the wind-down of the games life (Which is I think two years supported? Or maybe just one.) The question there is: Does the additional sales justify the costs of releasing these packs? That, we do not know, sadly.

I think they might do. But I don't know how much it's costing SMS to front DLC across all three platforms.

Your ideas are good ideas. I'm not sure the possibility of them, but they are really good ideas and not bad ones by any stretch.

My question regarding that is, How much of it is already being worked on and started and how much of it is yet to start or is open to suggestion. As it stands I could definitely see an LMP Pack, Road Car Pack, and Classics pack happening just on whats been released already.

Judging by how long the current Dlcs rolling out have been in the works as people have said, I wonder how much of it is in a position to be adjusted (as far as what comes in future DLC). But as the OP said it would be a good idea to later package similar cars together to increase interest. But as YOU have also said someone in the Know would have to ellaborate on whether or not the licensing allows that at all.

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 12:58
My question regarding that is, How much of it is already being worked on and started and how much of it is yet to start or is open to suggestion.

That's a very good question. I could only speculate that SMS/BandaiNamco and their partners probably have an internal roadmap that's fairly solid worked out. It probably has some wiggle room, since having seen SMS work for several years - Ian seems to be very, very intent on keeping SMS having as much autonomy as they can without any BS. But there appears to have been either some cross-communication or some tenuous ties, since Ian was very not happy about the Logitech DLC having to be paid for.

I would say that given they could slide the Scottish track to a further content update and give us the test track instead, there is probably some room for suggestion. I'm not sure they'll take any if they have a plan, but it'd be really constructive if people could put together reasonable ideas like these to show what they actually want/need from the additional content in the future opposed to the individual level wants that have gone already largely or entirely unheard for some time.

Raven403
30-09-2015, 13:05
That's a very good question. I could only speculate that SMS/BandaiNamco and their partners probably have an internal roadmap that's fairly solid worked out. It probably has some wiggle room, since having seen SMS work for several years - Ian seems to be very, very intent on keeping SMS having as much autonomy as they can without any BS. But there appears to have been either some cross-communication or some tenuous ties, since Ian was very not happy about the Logitech DLC having to be paid for.

I would say that given they could slide the Scottish track to a further content update and give us the test track instead, there is probably some room for suggestion. I'm not sure they'll take any if they have a plan, but it'd be really constructive if people could put together reasonable ideas like these to show what they actually want/need from the additional content in the future opposed to the individual level wants that have gone already largely or entirely unheard for some time.

Right. I'm thinking the Road map is layed out but may have some wiggle room, but with Pcars2 in early dev there may be more wiggle room to get licenses for both at the same time, but that's speculation obviously.

If there is any room for suggestions it might be a good idea to get some solid community feedback like this thread and maybe some polls to find out where the biggest interest lies.

My other question with this idea, is what happens if people have say, half the cars in a said Class Pack already. The price may not appeal to them, but for people who haven't bought any dlc it would definitely be beneficial

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 13:11
There's (hopefully) going to be a fair amount of translation between Pcars2 and Pcars1 as Pcars2 is being developed. It is speculation, but it wouldn't be speculation without precedent. Though brand new licensing content might not happen.

But also we do not know exactly how many "secret" contracts SMS has already to begin with. After all, the Toyota thing is kind of a big deal.

Raven403
30-09-2015, 13:18
There's (hopefully) going to be a fair amount of translation between Pcars2 and Pcars1 as Pcars2 is being developed. It is speculation, but it wouldn't be speculation without precedent. Though brand new licensing content might not happen.

But also we do not know exactly how many "secret" contracts SMS has already to begin with. After all, the Toyota thing is kind of a big deal.

Exactly what I was thinking. For all we know they have it all done and planned out and in Dev, and they Do plan to re-organize the released content into Class Packs later after its all done, they just cant right now for licensing purposes. It will be cool if we do start getting some teases for all new stuff in the works that even WMD doesnt know about.

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 13:22
Exactly what I was thinking. For all we know they have it all done and planned out and in Dev, and they Do plan to re-organize the released content into Class Packs later after its all done, they just cant right now for licensing purposes. It will be cool if we do start getting some teases for all new stuff in the works that even WMD doesnt know about.

Well, the WMD platform for Project Cars has wound down now.
and the WMD platform for Project Cars 2 will of course be focused on Project Cars 2 content that may or may not be translated to this game.

It'd be nice if they show us some more stuff. But to be honest, there isn't much *known* from Project Cars left and there is a lot of *time* before Project Cars 2.

Mainly some tracks. A few licensed cars, are missing from what we know. And the indycar DLC.

After that, it's sort of a black hole. (for me, anyway, I am not involved in PC2).

The RADBUL and the Toyota stuff was as much a surprise to me and probably other WMDers as it was to anyone else ^^;

TwilightUA
30-09-2015, 13:27
Theoretically "serie dedicated" pack is a good idea.
But I don't think it's good in practice for 2 reasons:

1)It's way easier to "call" 1 manufacturer and buy license for several cars and make a DLC with them;
2)The more different car classes in one DLC, the more people will find some interesting cars and will buy that DLC.
For example I bought Ruapana pack just because of Audi 90. If it had only, lets say, LMP cars - that's already -1 customer.

Just a thought.

Invincible
30-09-2015, 13:30
Well, the WMD platform for Project Cars has wound down now.
and the WMD platform for Project Cars 2 will of course be focused on Project Cars 2 content that may or may not be translated to this game.

It'd be nice if they show us some more stuff. But to be honest, there isn't much *known* from Project Cars left and there is a lot of *time* before Project Cars 2.

Mainly some tracks. A few licensed cars, are missing from what we know. And the indycar DLC.

After that, it's sort of a black hole. (for me, anyway, I am not involved in PC2).

The RADBUL and the Toyota stuff was as much a surprise to me and probably other WMDers as it was to anyone else ^^;

Also, if SMS want to keep this pace up, with 1 free car every month for at least one year (12 cars) and DLC every month for two years, all those cars who are known to be licensed won't suffice. At the moment we have an average of 4 cars per month + 1 free car. This makes at least 60 cars for the first year after launch alone.

At the moment we know of maybe 20 cars to come.

Raven403
30-09-2015, 13:31
Theoretically "serie dedicated" pack is a good idea.
But I don't think it's good in practice for 2 reasons:

1)It's way easier to "call" 1 manufacturer and buy license for several cars and make a DLC with them;
2)The more different car classes in one DLC, the more people will find some interesting cars and will buy that DLC.
For example I bought Ruapana pack just because of Audi 90. If it had only, lets say, LMP cars - that's already -1 customer.

Just a thought.

But as far as I understood the OP the packs would still be released in their current form and wouldn't go away, just new packs with cars re-organized into classes would be released AS WELL to the original DLC packs, so you wouldn't be forced to do either

balderz002
30-09-2015, 13:31
the more people will find some interesting cars and will buy that DLC.

The wider you cast your net, the more fish you can catch.

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 13:34
What's really hard about this "On Demand" concept is that SMS couldn't chop everything up into pieces and deliver them via microtransactions.

The original development idea for Pcars was to have the game as a freemium title, and early development worked towards that before the community veto'd it in favour of a more traditional retail approach. This probably screwed up some things big time, like how the cars were patterned out for being worked on during development because we ended up with a lot of single-class-car issues. It's to be expected if the business model was to deliver content in slices via microtransactions.

So it looks like what SMS has managed to do is sort of manage a solution in which they can work (sort of) with their own initial ideas for the title. But they can't afford to deliver each piece of content separately as it is completed and pushed out. And also because of licensing or because of publisher or because of platform or because of sponsor partner.

This is just musing. The only fact is the first two sentences. It simply dawned on me just now.

balderz002
30-09-2015, 13:36
If it was an F2P title, I wouldve stayed well clear.

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 13:37

Why do you think we veto'd it?

Raven403
30-09-2015, 13:38
Also, if SMS want to keep this pace up, with 1 free car every month for at least one year (12 cars) and DLC every month for two years, all those cars who are known to be licensed won't suffice. At the moment we have an average of 4 cars per month + 1 free car. This makes at least 60 cars for the first year after launch alone.

This is an excellent point.

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 13:38

Exactly, and none of us knew a damn thing about Mad Mike, RADBULs, or Scions.

There's probably some other incredibly cool stuff coming.

balderz002
30-09-2015, 13:40
F2P seems to be the way to go to make a quick buck,. but if its a credible title/franchise, seeing how the F2P games i have dabbled it go, F2P and credible dont see to go hand in hand.

I have only dabbled in WoT and WarThunder as F2P games go. I have described them as 'swimsuit models' in the past - pretty enough to look at, but with absolutely no substance.

Invincible
30-09-2015, 13:43
Exactly, and none of us knew a damn thing about Mad Mike, RADBULs, or Scions.

There's probably some other incredibly cool stuff coming.

Oh and with that being said - we lack knowledge for around 30 cars or so for the first year... Remember: SMS said they will support the game with patches and content for at least two years.

Don't want to get you too excited, but I think there is a whole sh*tload of new stuff incoming for the next two years.

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 13:47
Couldn't remember if it was 1 or 2.

I'm glad it's 2.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
30-09-2015, 14:03
F2P seems to be the way to go to make a quick buck,. but if its a credible title/franchise, seeing how the F2P games i have dabbled it go, F2P and credible dont see to go hand in hand.

I have only dabbled in WoT and WarThunder as F2P games go. I have described them as 'swimsuit models' in the past - pretty enough to look at, but with absolutely no substance.RaceRoom Racing Experience also runs on a F2P model, as does SimRaceWay, so there's a precedent there for sims (though RRRE wasn't around when pCARS started).

As for WoT and WT, I think the key word in your post might be "dabbled". I know people who have played those games for years, and there's definitely very significant depth to them.

balderz002
30-09-2015, 14:10
As for WoT and WT, I think the key word in your post might be "dabbled". I know people who have played those games for years, and there's definitely very significant depth to them.

And a very significant toxicity to the forums of said games. Especially War Thunder. I wouldnt say there is much depth to those 2 titles though. Not from what I have seen.

I dont want to sound elitist or anything, but I had played WoT for years (more than dabbled) before trying War Thunder, and WT only lasted for 8 months before I got bored of it.

I dont like the F2P model. so wont go near it again.

Shinzah
30-09-2015, 14:10
RaceRoom Racing Experience also runs on a F2P model, as does SimRaceWay, so there's a precedent there for sims (though RRRE wasn't around when pCARS started).

Depth of course depends on how much you're willing to spend in the game mechanics and how much you like the game to begin with, though. ^^;

There's significant depth to almost any game with a win/lose state ^^;

Cheesenium
30-09-2015, 15:54

Surprisingly, I am playing Race Room on and off. The business model isnt perfect as content cost far more than other games such as their Spa cost 5.50 Euros for one track or a car can cost up to 3.50 Euros but one thing it does right is, you only buy the content you want to play. If you want GT2s, then, you only buy the GT2 pack instead of getting some content that you did not want. If that was cheaper, I think it would be much easier to recommend.

I really do not think pcars should offer microtrasaction like individual cars and tracks because a microtrasaction store in the game would leave awful first impression for new players. It felt like the game is nickel and diming you even thought the game doesnt.

azidahaka
30-09-2015, 16:14
I hope my ideas get acknowledged and discussed; i'm for one, an individual that has a really narrow interest in the Car roosters, namely i may be interested in gt4,gt3, old f1s and WTCC/BTCC and basically nothing else. I'm pretty sure other have their own preferences too, and this would be a great way to improve entries at zero cost since it would be already available content just packaged in a different theme.

Del Zotto x82x
30-09-2015, 17:25
Not going to moan or annoy or wish to create rage and wars around, but after talking with many fellow races here and on gtplanet, i was wondering if it was possible to shift the DLC focus in a more user friendly format.

Late me explain, i'm not asking a piece by piece separate buy as many has suggested for i think Ian was quite clear making us understand that there are some extra costs in going that way. What i mean is that many users would like to have a "serie dedicated" pack instead of a "manufacturer dedicated pack" for it would pack together cars meant to race together.

i.e. " '90 touring cars", "LMP1", "gt3", "classic f1", etc etc. Whether they would or not contain tracks too, they would make up for an easier way to get what an user would be most interest into, and make sure that, for example in an online GT3 league, all drivers buying just one or 2 packs have access to all the available cars that could run in those regulations.

i'm not sure if this would be feasible for i understand that licenses may be acquired at different times but i would like to hear a word about that. Right now the dlc seems a bit "mixed" content; like a bit of everything that might suit most people, instead then a focused target.

Thanks for reading, let's keep up with PCars, i'm sure in time many people that are gonee complaining will come back! :yes: It's nt like there's better around :cool:

This woud have to be implemented in PCARS 2 as I'm sure all DLC have been planned and well thought out.

azidahaka
01-10-2015, 06:02
I hope there's a way; after all is not like it's too late we are still at the game's beginnings.