PDA

View Full Version : Probably not a bug, but my PC, but what is it?

balderz002
30-09-2015, 20:28
This week, having a few problems with the game.

The best way to describe it, is like if someone has snuck up and pressed the reset button on my unit. Monitor goes black, then windows restarts from boot up.

It only happens on track, whether it be in practice, time trial, or a quali/race situation. It only happens with this game.

Really annoying.

bigsilverhotdog
30-09-2015, 20:49
A hard reset like that is usually because of a hardware failure (sometimes in the process of failing but not totally failed yet), usually the power supply but occasionally the video card or motherboard. The 2nd most likely cause is (tied between) overclock too high, overheating, or voltage on overclock insufficient.

It may seem to be only this game but I'd wager it isn't. No game has the means to crash your computer so hard like that -- a hard reset is a fundamental problem and rarely related to a specific piece of software. If you don't even get a BSOD then I'd say 95% chance its one of the things I listed above.

DragonSyr
30-09-2015, 20:55
check your cpu cooler for dust first , then check your power unit ....

balderz002
30-09-2015, 20:57
That's not good news then. Well I know nothing about overclocking, so haven't touched that side of things.

Recently got a new 750w psu installed as my old 500w went bang. Really annoyed as the missus wont be happy if another thing goes belly up a month after replacing the PSU!

balderz002
30-09-2015, 21:00
There is also no real warmth to the case where the PSU is situated. Unlike when I blew up. It was redders.

b_akerlite
30-09-2015, 21:00
does problem coincide with time of new psu fitting?

balderz002
30-09-2015, 21:01
does problem coincide with time of new psu fitting?

No, everything ran fine after that changed and I upgraded to win10 64bit.

DragonSyr
30-09-2015, 21:02
so , check all fans for dust (cpu and gpu)

Umer Ahmad
30-09-2015, 21:22
Full PC specs would be helpful, like my signature.

DragonSyr
30-09-2015, 21:28
you can try this http://www.thewindowsclub.com/pc-stress-test-free-software is for win10... maybe you can find something
edit: or this http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

madmax2069
30-09-2015, 21:47
A hard reset like that is usually because of a hardware failure (sometimes in the process of failing but not totally failed yet), usually the power supply but occasionally the video card or motherboard. The 2nd most likely cause is (tied between) overclock too high, overheating, or voltage on overclock insufficient.

It may seem to be only this game but I'd wager it isn't. No game has the means to crash your computer so hard like that -- a hard reset is a fundamental problem and rarely related to a specific piece of software. If you don't even get a BSOD then I'd say 95% chance its one of the things I listed above.

I know Windows itself has the ability to shut the system down when a error occurs, and its not always hardware related.

bigsilverhotdog
30-09-2015, 22:04
If its instant then the only way it could be windows is a BSOD type error with the BSOD hidden/flashed by too quick to see easily. This is possible but he described it as a hard reset. Windows cannot do hard resets by itself unless it was added in Windows 10 (in which I have no experience). A hard reset is a hardware function, not a software function. Hence the different terms, "hard reset" - hardware, "soft reset" - software.

MISTER WU
30-09-2015, 22:15
The only time it will just straight up shutdown is when the CPU hits a temperature threshold.
Its doing this in PANIC mode to stop any hardware damage, all signs point to over heating. As a side note make sure the power settings in control panel are set to high.

bigsilverhotdog
30-09-2015, 22:20
The only time it will just straight up shutdown is when the CPU hits a temperature threshold.

This is a completely false statement because you said "only". Several kinds of hardware failures can cause a straight up shutdown, none of them having to do with heat. And he also said hard reset, not shutdown.

Overheating of CPU can cause a straight up shutdown or a hard reset, but it's hardly the "only" reason.

MISTER WU
01-10-2015, 00:12
This is a completely false statement because you said "only". Several kinds of hardware failures can cause a straight up shutdown, none of them having to do with heat. And he also said hard reset, not shutdown.

Overheating of CPU can cause a straight up shutdown or a hard reset, but it's hardly the "only" reason.
So first you say its completely false but then say it can? LOL im only talking from my experiences managing 100 + PC's, 15 servers over 4 locations covering half Australia and yes only CPU's have caused a kernel panic and shut down both Windows and Unix based systems, once again from my experiences only.
GFX cards will generally throw a BSOD or just cycle until they burn (especially with bitcoin calcs from malware), have you ever seen malware that can burn your CPU or GPU (Like the USA threw at Iran with Stuxnet). I have and the GPU will burn every time but the CPU will generally call a shutdown before burning!

Charger
01-10-2015, 01:15
So first you say its completely false but then say it can? LOL im only talking from my experiences managing 100 + PC's, 15 servers over 4 locations covering half Australia and yes only CPU's have caused a kernel panic and shut down both Windows and Unix based systems, once again from my experiences only.
GFX cards will generally throw a BSOD or just cycle until they burn (especially with bitcoin calcs from malware), have you ever seen malware that can burn your CPU or GPU (Like the USA threw at Iran with Stuxnet). I have and the GPU will burn every time but the CPU will generally call a shutdown before burning!

PSU issues can shut down and recycle when they dip in power, also check your event log, it may give you an idea, go to control panel, administrative tools, component services, event viewer local and expand the folder and you can view all events and see if any were critical when it shut down, just cycle through the reports and check the timestamp to see if it was a shutdown, if you check it on an instant reboot the most recent events will be there.

MISTER WU
01-10-2015, 01:44
Only problem with that Charger is shutdowns that are that quick generally dont get time to create an event in eventvwr.msc.

drb1965
01-10-2015, 07:55
I had a similar problem with my PC a while back, turned out to be a problem with the NVidia graphics driver. the driver was causing the graphics card to start overheating.

balderz002
01-10-2015, 09:30
I had a similar problem with my PC a while back, turned out to be a problem with the NVidia graphics driver. the driver was causing the graphics card to start overheating.

I will double check i am upto date on the geforce experience application.

I will also check my logs (no poo jokes please) for anything.

Thanks guys!

lembi2001
01-10-2015, 10:12
If you check event viewer after the restart and go to system you should be able to find out what caused the restart. Take a note of the time when the restart occurred and look for any warnings around that time.

Most of the time you should be able to find out what caused the problem using this method.

Sampo
01-10-2015, 16:15
You could also check that all the power supply cables are seated properly.

Charger
01-10-2015, 17:20
Only problem with that Charger is shutdowns that are that quick generally dont get time to create an event in eventvwr.msc.

Could possibly show a kernel power shutdown though?

balderz002
01-10-2015, 21:01
Get this as Critical:

Kernel-power.

Event ID 41
Task Category (63)

Also get this as a warning:

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll

DragonSyr
01-10-2015, 21:41
check your ram , get the memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm) (Boot from the CD or flash), and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
If Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Bealdor
02-10-2015, 06:17
Get this as Critical:

Kernel-power.

Event ID 41
Task Category (63)

Also get this as a warning:

WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.

Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll

Event ID 41 is a generic message for an unexpected PC shutdown. The most frequent causes for this are:

- faulty PSU
- too high OC
- overheating

What's the exact model of your new PSU? Do you still have warranty for it?

Sankyo
02-10-2015, 07:14
I'd return the PSU under warranty, saying that your PC has become unstable after installing it. What brand is it?

balderz002
02-10-2015, 07:35
I will have to have a look when i get back from work. It was only installed about a month ago.

balderz002
02-10-2015, 15:02
The box the PSU came in just says 'Silent Power Supply' and 750w. If it helps, the image on the box is of a pretty snow capped peak with a pic of the PSU photoshopped infront. I can take a pic and upload it if it helps?

Seems like a generic brandless psu to me.

Sankyo
02-10-2015, 15:07
The box the PSU came in just says 'Silent Power Supply' and 750w. If it helps, the image on the box is of a pretty snow capped peak with a pic of the PSU photoshopped infront. I can take a pic and upload it if it helps?

Seems like a generic brandless psu to me.
Well there should be some brand mentioned somewhere. But I think we have a likely root cause here. You need a good PSU, and nameless good PSUs don't really exist from my experience. 750W is a good figure to go for, but please get a Corsair or BeQuiet PSU. Your PC will love you :)

balderz002
03-10-2015, 13:10
Pc is back with the shop. I told them, if it is the PSU, then I am going to upgrade to a corsair

bigsilverhotdog
03-10-2015, 14:12
If it's the same shop that sold you the generic PSU then don't take no for an answer. They're likely to defend their product, even if it was a shoddy, generic piece of garbage. You should never, never use a generic power supply for a mid-high level gaming PC that draws a lot of juice. It's possible sure, and it might even work for a period of time, but it's rolling the dice and highly ill-advised.