PDA

View Full Version : [YES] rev limiter in some cars?

BigAlex
01-10-2015, 14:43
Sorry for the dumb question but I've just started to use manual gear shifting and when running a Ford Sierra every time the rev reaches its limit the car makes a very strange noise (something like a tah-tah- tah- tah) and seems to hold speed a little.

Does this happen only in this car or can happen with other cars with the same technology?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Schnizz58
01-10-2015, 14:52
I think all the cars have rev limiters.

Umer Ahmad
01-10-2015, 15:14
Yes

BigAlex
01-10-2015, 15:56
I could stretch the gear a lot in Formula Rookie without feeling limited.

TheReaper GT
01-10-2015, 15:58
I could stretch the gear a lot in Formula Rookie without feeling limited.

Do you have mechanical failures on?

HeeseyChelmet
01-10-2015, 16:03
Sorry for the dumb question but I've just started to use manual gear shifting and when running a Ford Sierra every time the rev reaches its limit the car makes a very strange noise (something like a tah-tah- tah- tah) and seems to hold speed a little.

Does this happen only in this car or can happen with other cars with the same technology?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

would that not be to emulate the pistons smacking the head? Ie, reaching the engines natural rev limit? A modern limited is set to below this happening and the engine just sits at a smooth note and not the bouncing you describe

BigAlex
01-10-2015, 16:12
Mechanical failures are off... I don't know whether that noise is a normal car feature or it is just me smashing cars engine and being lucky mechanical failures are off.

TheReaper GT
01-10-2015, 16:17
The noise you're hearing must be the bov when the engine limiter cuts. I've asked about the mechanical failures because of the formula rookie,it's a very basic car and very easy to blow the engine.

Schnizz58
01-10-2015, 16:20
The only car I've had an issue with so far is the Merc SLS road car. It redlines pretty early and I was constantly bouncing off the rev limiter which ultimately led to me blowing the engine.