PDA

View Full Version : Puffs of smoke.

tclancey
01-10-2015, 21:03
Earlier today I was hurtling around the Chinese circuit like a loon in a GT3 car, the Aston, and on one of the straights I suddenly noticed puffs of smoke in the mirror.

Thinking I was about to blow the engine I wanted to see the exact point on the track it started to happen, checking down shifts etc., so I paused the game and selected replay. The 2 minutes of the replay showed no smoke at all, right up to the end. Somewhat confused I un-paused and started driving again, and what do you know, no puffs of smoke or sign that the engine was about to pop.

You need to sort out your puffs!

Yes, a cheap pun. I make no excuses, it's been a long and painful day.

Raven403
01-10-2015, 21:05
This has been happening to me now that you mention it. It seems since 4.0, when I'm practicing those little puffs of smoke normally associated with engine damage will keep appearing for seemingly no reason.

Schnizz58
01-10-2015, 21:06
You need to sort out your puffs!
It's puff, puff, pass. I thought everybody knew that.

tclancey
01-10-2015, 21:12
Haha!

ibby
01-10-2015, 23:22
Pretty sure it happens when the water temperature gets above 100 ;)
I think it's some code relic they never got around to change.

Mr.Smoke
01-10-2015, 23:46
Pretty sure it happens when the water temperature gets above 100 ;)
I think it's some code relic they never got around to change.

I agree that its temp related. Only seems to happen to me when its over 100 degrees. A clear warning sign of needing to open the radiator more.

AdM1
01-10-2015, 23:49
This has been happening to me now that you mention it. It seems since 4.0, when I'm practicing those little puffs of smoke normally associated with engine damage will keep appearing for seemingly no reason.

I noticed this before 4.0. Would come out the pits with it smoking.

Never bothered me too much because it didn't effect playability.

tclancey
14-10-2015, 10:56
Hmm, I was doing a bit of testing yesterday with radiator settings, I couldn't make the Aston GT3 car water temp go above 100. I'll have to do some more testing with different cars.

Thanks for your feedback folks.

Yorkie065
14-10-2015, 11:33
I think it's engine related, like others have said with water and potentially oil temps. Just make sure that doesn't go above 100 and definitely not over 110 degrees, that's when you get into the region for blowing your engine. Open radiator to obviously cool it more, and open it even more as a bit of head room for damage as damaging your radiator will cause the temperatures to rise and you'll need to pit to get it repaired.

Also note on that Chinese Zhuhai circuit. Due to it's stop start nature with some heavy braking on most of the corners, open up the brake ducts...a lot! Brake temps shouldn't be going above 600 degrees if you can help it otherwise you'll start to get some nasty brake fade, loose performance and increased braking distances. I was running brake ducts up at 90-95% in a recent league race around that circuit to make sure that they stayed effective throughout the duration of the race.

VanquishedVantage
14-10-2015, 11:36
I think it's engine related, like others have said with water and potentially oil temps. Just make sure that doesn't go above 100 and definitely not over 110 degrees, that's when you get into the region for blowing your engine. Open radiator to obviously cool it more, and open it even more as a bit of head room for damage as damaging your radiator will cause the temperatures to rise and you'll need to pit to get it repaired.

Also note on that Chinese Zhuhai circuit. Due to it's stop start nature with some heavy braking on most of the corners, open up the brake ducts...a lot! Brake temps shouldn't be going above 600 degrees if you can help it otherwise you'll start to get some nasty brake fade, loose performance and increased braking distances. I was running brake ducts up at 90-95% in a recent league race around that circuit to make sure that they stayed effective throughout the duration of the race.
Usually I just brake and downshift on a long straight so I don't blow my engine in top gear.

QPRLad
14-10-2015, 11:52

600'C or F? C I assume?

Yorkie065
14-10-2015, 11:53
Yes, 600 deg C.