PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Problems

tonypbeck
02-10-2015, 12:44
Hi,

Since i've been online league racing i've had a problem with the car setup, tyres and pressures especially.

I practice in Free Practice and set Tyre Pressures and everything else to get a good balanced feel.

When it comes to the online event I have no grip and my tyres overheat from the pressures being to low and my lap times are 2 seconds slower.

What is going on?

Raven403
02-10-2015, 12:48
Hi,

Since i've been online league racing i've had a problem with the car setup, tyres and pressures especially.

I practice in Free Practice and set Tyre Pressures and everything else to get a good balanced feel.

When it comes to the online event I have no grip and my tyres overheat from the pressures being to low and my lap times are 2 seconds slower.

What is going on?

I know what you mean, which is why I now start a private online lobby with 90 minute practice sessions to tune. Because it seems the car feels different on the exact same setup.

Time of day, time of year and weather play a role too.

Also double check your tune didn't change when your in the MP race, other than that I'm not sure what happens. I sympathize though because I've definitely set up cars and gone into a league race and it handles totally different.

Sankyo
02-10-2015, 12:50
Overheating tyres could also be caused by having gotten rain tyres instead of dry weather tyres.

Raven403
02-10-2015, 12:52
OP can you provide a scenario (What car, track, etc.) This happened with?

hkraft300
02-10-2015, 13:09
Free practice time of day and date may be different to MP/online lobby. Summer race on the same track in MP will overheat your tires if you made a setup in free practice in winter, and vice versa.
Hence the request for more specific detail of the scenario.

ElectricBlues85
02-10-2015, 13:23
Hi,

What is going on?

It's worth pointing out that the track in Free Practice is completely different to the track in race (even with the same time, date & weather) as the free practice track isn't rubbered in.

Raven403 made a good suggestion using a private lobby to tune, I do similar but I use a 30 minute warmup session instead. I have no evidence to suggest it's any better but in my eyes it's about as close to race conditions you can get whilst still having access to the tuning menu. I'd also suggest practice with your tune in an online private lobby in race conditions. Most leagues will give advanced notice of wether, date and time.

Ralph B
02-10-2015, 13:36
Expirienced something similar a few times. The car feels completely different than in practice, even the weather and daytime are obviously not so much different to my practice conditions. Strange, as it doesn't happen regularly - just in a few online races. And a check of the setup didn't make me any wiser. It was exactly the same as I in practice.
Can it be, that the "setup bug" from the time of developement is still present in some milder form?

Sometimes the framerates have negative influence, too. Bad framerates make you feel that the car is more twitchy and the tires seem to have less grip than usual. Expierienced that in time trial some time ago, where fps are lower for some unknown reasons. But it's gone since I changed to a better gfx-card. But the strange behavior online is not a mattter of framerates on my current machine.

tonypbeck
02-10-2015, 14:00
I set free practice to the same conditions as the race, start time etc. To give you an example, i'm practicing for a wet race at Brno at the weekend, got the car setup in practice and then setup an online lobby to do a race simulation. Tyres were overheating and had no grip at all. Had to raise the tyre temps by 10-20 to get them under control. Just can't get it to feel like the car in free practice, it's doing my head in and spoiling the online racing.

If it was the track rubbering in then the free practice track would be the rubbered one as I have the grip their and the lobby track would be green as it has no grip.

Yorkie065
02-10-2015, 14:31
If it was the track rubbering in then the free practice track would be the rubbered one as I have the grip their and the lobby track would be green as it has no grip.

Not quite. The free practice session starts completely green, so you will be running lower pressures in order to try and maximise your grip from the tyre. As the track grips up, you can run higher pressures and maintain the grip levels and speed you had before whilst going quicker still, but if you keep the low pressures on a gripier circuit, then the tyres will start to over-heat which is probably what is happening to you. It just gives you the illusion that what is actually a green track is providing more grip, because you have the pressures at a level to compensate for it.

Like others have said, the best way to practice is to run sessions in Quick Race Weekend mode rather than Free Practice so you get the grip levels on the track there from the start of the session. Personally I run 90mins warm up sessions. It's between Quali and actual race grip levels so it gives you a good idea as to how the car will behave in the race and when it comes to the actual league race, I know what to expect in terms of grip levels of the track and performance from the car. Also good idea to run an actual race with just you on the track, with the number of laps and conditions you'll be in to get an idea of the setup and what kind of strategy you'll need. Provides good information in terms of tyre wear etc, but obviously take into account pushing harder during battles with other drivers and the like.

tonypbeck
02-10-2015, 14:36
Hey Yorkie, that's a brilliant explanation thank you. If only I knew this a month ago I might have performed better in the races and not wasted my time in setting up lol