PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thrustmaster TX Users - do they exist?

xsomnivmx
02-10-2015, 12:52
Well. It's a bit of a clickbait title... but. I can't decide between the TX and the G920 simply because of one thing. Everywhere you look, TX users seem to have broken wheelbases after minutes or hours of gameplay. You could get the feeling, that there isn't a single TX out there that works properly.

This can't be true, right?
I'm pretty sure that it is simply the typical web bias, no one who is happy reports it, everyone who has a problem makes a fuzz about it. So, everyone who could give me a bit of realistic measurement how afraid I should be about receiving a broken wheel (or have problems in the first few month) is very welcome. :)

Raven403
02-10-2015, 12:56
Can only speak for myself

I have had 0 problems with my TX since I got it about 6 or 7 months ago. Guys in my league have had to send bases back but mines been trouble free. Knock on wood.

If you buy it from a place like Amazon or any trusted retailer it's not that big a deal to get a new base sent if that does happen. There are def. Horror stories out there I know, but I've been very happy with mine, I use it on my Xbox and PC on Pcars on both, Assetto Corsa too, I've had no problems

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
02-10-2015, 12:59
I don't personally know any TX owners (XBones are not popular around here), but I know several people who have the PS4 equivalent T300 RS, and they've been really happy with theirs. I've played with a T300 and it's very close to my own T500, a bit smoother, perhaps slightly less powerful, very good anyway. The G920 is simply an updated G25/G27, and if you ask me the two wheelbases are in completely different leagues, the G25/G27 feels a lot more like a toy by comparison. Sharp and accurate, yes, but weak and just overall lacking in forces. I couldn't see myself going back to that level anymore.

However if the TX models have had that bad of a reliability record... Well, a working wheel is always better than one that doesn't work. My experiences with Thrustmaster though have been that they take customer support seriously and handle things rapidly.

Raven403
02-10-2015, 13:01
Also, with the new Firmware the new fan protocols and being able to turn it on manually should help with base issues, because I think alot of them were caused by overheating. So if you buy a new model it should be much more reliable I'd think. Some horror stories you hear could be people that got older models that were known to suffer overheating too

I'll also say, using it with Pcars on PC the level of detail is really amazing. It's not as good on Xbox but it's still really good and there is no shortage of tools to use (Jack Spade) to find the right settings for you.

edit:
I don't personally know any TX owners (XBones are not popular around here),

No kidding lol

Haiden
02-10-2015, 13:58
I've had a TX for about a year and half (regular, almost daily use), and haven't had any problems. I've had a T300 for about three months now (daily use) and haven't had any issues either. *Knock on wood*

I heard the horror stories, as well, but decided to go with the TX for a couple of reasons. One, it seemed that when it worked, the users were extremely happy with it. And two, it seemed that the majority of problems were with the early manufactured units. I think quite a few people with problem units--even today--are actually getting older units that have been sitting in someone's warehouse. Buying a TM wheel from sources with more shorter inventory cycles and better return policies like Best Buy, GameStop, Amazon can help decrease the chances of getting an older unit, and also provide you with better customer service options if you do have problems. If it's Best Buy or GameStop, you can return the item to the store for an immediate refund.

The G920 wasn't an option back then. But from what I've heard it--weaker FFB and an odd knocking sound when you go over bumps and curbs--I'm not really interested in the new Logitech models.

Krus Control
02-10-2015, 14:21
I've had a TX for nine months. I'm using my FOURTH wheelbase. My pedals broke 2 months ago. The product has such crap build quality. But at the same time I wouldn't get the Logitec because the TX is that superior in performance. If your wheelbase keeps breaking like mine did they will keep sending you new ones. One I got just arrived broken. Another lasted 2 weeks. Another lasted a month. This one has lasted me since May or April I guess. I'm hoping it will break before my warranty runs out so I get a fresh one. Thus is the life of a TX owner.

Schnizz58
02-10-2015, 14:40
Can only speak for myself

I have had 0 problems with my TX since I got it about 6 or 7 months ago. Guys in my league have had to send bases back but mines been trouble free. Knock on wood.

If you buy it from a place like Amazon or any trusted retailer it's not that big a deal to get a new base sent if that does happen. There are def. Horror stories out there I know, but I've been very happy with mine, I use it on my Xbox and PC on Pcars on both, Assetto Corsa too, I've had no problems
This has been exactly my experience so far. I've had mine since January. Recently upgraded the pedals and I'm very happy with those too.

HEF51
02-10-2015, 14:57
Going on 9 months and no problems here. Completely happy.

EpilepticToast
02-10-2015, 16:06
I have had my TX for over two years now, still the first one I got without any returns and it is by far the best wheel I've ever owned (but that's not saying much because I've had 4 madcatz POS and the MS 360 wheel + some cheap PS2 ones). Not a single problem with mine, however, I run a much weaker FF to what most people do because I don't mind that (personal preference) and it definitely improves the longevity of the wheel base. I'm not sure how it compares to the new Logitech in terms of reliability, but I strongly recommend this wheel, especially for the fantastic add-ons it has available. I picked up the TH8A to add to the sim experience and I have not been disappointed one bit. I hope to continue expanding the immersion with more of their well built products. I am very happy with it overall.

xsomnivmx
02-10-2015, 16:13
Thank you all for your feedback. Doesn't look that bad. :)
I'll just need to figure out how to update the firmware without a windows pc.. well i guess virtualbox for osx will do. ;)

The G920 wasn't an option back then. But from what I've heard it--weaker FFB and an odd knocking sound when you go over bumps and curbs--I'm not really interested in the new Logitech models.

The knocking sound wouldn't bother me. TBH, sitting directly in front of a huge JBL Center speaker, I'm not sure I would hear it. Same goes for the fan in the TX.

My main "problem" with the G920 is a bit stupid.. it's the "You buy it, that's it" thing. No upgrades, nothing to change etc. The TX system, I want to start with a 28cm rim and maybe update to the 599 30cm rim.. my hands are a bit bigger... ;)
Same goes for the Pedals.. I think I will buy the pro ones and mount them GT style... and hope they are built to last.
At the moment I use the cheap Spider wheel.. And after 4 month now the gas pedal is screaming like a dead pig.. well dead things don't scream..you know what I mean. ;). Something metal on metal is rubbing together, to the point that my girlfriend, two rooms away is annoyed by the sound.

I've had a TX for nine months. I'm using my FOURTH wheelbase. My pedals broke 2 months ago. The product has such crap build quality. But at the same time I wouldn't get the Logitec because the TX is that superior in performance. If your wheelbase keeps breaking like mine did they will keep sending you new ones. One I got just arrived broken. Another lasted 2 weeks. Another lasted a month. This one has lasted me since May or April I guess. I'm hoping it will break before my warranty runs out so I get a fresh one. Thus is the life of a TX owner.

Ok so... basically.. I should buy the TX but keep the Spider for backup?

bmanic
02-10-2015, 16:21
My Thrustmaster TX wheel is now almost one year old. Very happy with my purchase (not to mention the bargain I got!). I've had zero problems with it.

02-10-2015, 18:24
The TX system, I want to start with a 28cm rim and maybe update to the 599 30cm rim.. my hands are a bit bigger... ;)I can highly recommend getting a 30cm rim (the original T500 rim is that size). It just makes the wheel feel so much more like a proper steering wheel. Though admittedly some light protos and low end open-wheelers do use small rims, but for the majority of applications it is much nicer, feels less toy like when you're not cramping your arms together so tightly.

lifeofbrian
02-10-2015, 18:37
Had mine for 8 months, love it. You will need a good wheel with it, as the plastic toy that comes with it must be a practical joke by Thrustmaster.

Liquid7394
02-10-2015, 19:20
I've had a T300 for many months now and had no issues.

Krus Control
02-10-2015, 19:21
Ok so... basically.. I should buy the TX but keep the Spider for backup?

I would highly recommend the TX. Just be aware that it has a pretty high failure rate on the wheelbase.

AtomicSphincter
03-10-2015, 01:10
I've gone through three bases in 8 months, having said that I'd buy thrustmaster tx again. Thrustmaster support although not the fastest is very good. As long as you didn't buy your wheel from eBay they'll send you another one. (Even if you buy New from eBay it still is not covered, so don't go eBay). Anyways, the TX wheel is amazing, strong force feedback while remaining smooth. It makes G920 aka G27 look and feel like a complete joke. I feel bad for those who bought the logitech wheel just cause it's "reliable", reliable or not it's built with dinosaur parts and feels like a joke. Also logitech doesn't have any upgrades for the wheel, unless you consider the shifter, which used to come with the setup, now extra. Anywho, I recommend the Thrustmaster TX.

Charger
03-10-2015, 01:22
Oh a Thrustmaster fan room lol, I'll just say my G25 is 8 years old and has over 200k on it, now I know people who have G27's and they don't seem to be as tight as the G25 and have different gearing which I assume is the same for the new Logi wheels, the old G25 is bulletproof and doesn't feel toy like at all, I have never turned it up full it would rip my arms off but I play with a very heavy feel all the same.

I think Logitech peaked with the G25 as it just went downhill from there, no sequential on G27 and now no shifter on the new one pfff, cash grab.

If I were to buy a new wheel would it be a new Logitech or TM wheel, no, I would find a replacement G25 which is getting harder these days.

yusupov
03-10-2015, 02:29
TX is great but all thrustmaster wheels do seem to have an issue with overheating that other wheels dont.

setup your ffb properly and it shouldnt be an issue, which is why youll rarely see PC guys complaining about thrustmaster problems. console users arent used to this and the default settings are far too strong so the wheel overheats. i really believe it is as simple as that. there will be outliers of TM wheels just giving up but the same will be true of every brand.

i paid $300 to upgrade from a g27 (same as g29) and dont regret it, but probably 85%+ of my gaming time is spent using it so what i value might be different to you. to me anyone who doesnt have a wheel & gets a g29/920 at logitechs gouged price instead of one of the thrustmaster packages is making a mistake, simple as that. i admit i still have my g27 around but will probably sell it off shortly. i dont like overly heavy ffb & im just not worried ill cook the wheel.

either way though you will be happy, i just dont like seeing logitech rewarded for their price-gouging. but TX/T300/T500 are all unquestionably a rung up from the logitech wheels, thats simply a fact.

i agree with charger that a g25 (with a brake mod probably) is all anyone needs to be as fast as possible....IF youre PC only obviously. for console users: as he says the g29 is the same stuff as the g27 (actually less) for about 50% more money. its laughable & you are being ripped off. thrustmaster has much more competitive prices at least in the US.

03-10-2015, 05:55
Oh a Thrustmaster fan room lol, I'll just say my G25 is 8 years old and has over 200k on it, now I know people who have G27's and they don't seem to be as tight as the G25 and have different gearing which I assume is the same for the new Logi wheels, the old G25 is bulletproof and doesn't feel toy like at all, I have never turned it up full it would rip my arms off but I play with a very heavy feel all the same.

I think Logitech peaked with the G25 as it just went downhill from there, no sequential on G27 and now no shifter on the new one pfff, cash grab.

If I were to buy a new wheel would it be a new Logitech or TM wheel, no, I would find a replacement G25 which is getting harder these days.I've had a G25 for getting close to 8 years as well (and first two broke within warranty and had to be replaced, so it's not like Logitech can't have these problems, third one has been bulletproof though), and I fully stand by my main complaints of weakness and "toy likeness" compared to the Thrustmasters (well the TX's plastic rim is shit, but a proper rim fixes that). Even at full power the G25 never really offered any real FFB strength, I could easily hold it still with a single hand while it was doing its worst. And particularly if you adjusted it to provide as linear an output as possible, the general force levels were so low that over the years I developed a very light and fingertippy driving style with it. And I've run FFB benchmarks on my wheel (WheelCheck by the developers of iRacing) and got exactly the same results as dozens of other G25 users, so it's just as strong as it should be.

Even the T500 RS isn't really strong, the FFB can't make the rim do anything you don't want it to if you seriously want to keep it still, but it's easily twice as strong as the G25 (supported by torque measurements). But to get seriously strong wrenching qualities you will need to look at something like a CSW v2 (and from what my friend tells me, even higher than that, though I'll have the opportunity to try it out myself this month when I go visit him).

The small rim, the rattling and whining gears and the light forces together just make the G25-series of bases feel more like a toy for me than the much more hefty Thrustmaster offerings.

All that said, the G25 is a fantastic wheel none the less. It's really accurate and has sharp and instant feedback, even if it is light feedback. The FFB delay is among the fastest ever measured in any wheel. As a controller it is more than good enough to attack any leaderboard time out there. That's why I've always preferred it over the Fanatec Porsche wheel series, which are clearly stronger than the G25, but slower, less instant in their actions, and more ponderous (again, supported by benchmarks).

The G25 is easily the best wheel I've ever tried at its level, but the T500 and T300 series of wheels are a level above it. They might not make you any quicker around a track, but the FFB has the capability to enhance the enjoyment of sims significantly compared to the G25.

And as always, this is just my personal opinion. =)

Charger
03-10-2015, 06:22
I've had a G25 for getting close to 8 years as well (and first two broke within warranty and had to be replaced, so it's not like Logitech can't have these problems, third one has been bulletproof though), and I fully stand by my main complaints of weakness and "toy likeness" compared to the Thrustmasters (well the TX's plastic rim is shit, but a proper rim fixes that). Even at full power the G25 never really offered any real FFB strength, I could easily hold it still with a single hand while it was doing its worst. And particularly if you adjusted it to provide as linear an output as possible, the general force levels were so low that over the years I developed a very light and fingertippy driving style with it. And I've run FFB benchmarks on my wheel (WheelCheck by the developers of iRacing) and got exactly the same results as dozens of other G25 users, so it's just as strong as it should be.

Even the T500 RS isn't really strong, the FFB can't make the rim do anything you don't want it to if you seriously want to keep it still, but it's easily twice as strong as the G25 (supported by torque measurements). But to get seriously strong wrenching qualities you will need to look at something like a CSW v2 (and from what my friend tells me, even higher than that, though I'll have the opportunity to try it out myself this month when I go visit him).

The small rim, the rattling and whining gears and the light forces together just make the G25-series of bases feel more like a toy for me than the much more hefty Thrustmaster offerings.

All that said, the G25 is a fantastic wheel none the less. It's really accurate and has sharp and instant feedback, even if it is light feedback. The FFB delay is among the fastest ever measured in any wheel. As a controller it is more than good enough to attack any leaderboard time out there. That's why I've always preferred it over the Fanatec Porsche wheel series, which are clearly stronger than the G25, but slower, less instant in their actions, and more ponderous (again, supported by benchmarks).

The G25 is easily the best wheel I've ever tried at its level, but the T500 and T300 series of wheels are a level above it. They might not make you any quicker around a track, but the FFB has the capability to enhance the enjoyment of sims significantly compared to the G25.

And as always, this is just my personal opinion. =)

I actually got a notification that I was a troll in this thread!! I was simply pointing out that Logitech have gone down the pan since the G25 and are ripping people off now with downgrading features, I am sure the TX wheels are fantastic especially if you are on a console and they are compatible it's just I hear so many failing in such a short time that it shocks me after having mine so long and really abusing it on a near daily basis for 8 years.

I would have to disagree with the light FFB comment though, I run mine at 100% in the profiler with 100 TF, 100 FFB, and steering gain at 1 and I'm a big guy a like a lot of FFB going on and I like the wheel to pull me around which it does, I could not imagine running it at 200% in the profiler it would be an insane amount of force, maybe I just got a good one?

For instance Formula A is brutal to such an extent that my desk which is a heavy old solid mahogany desk and requires 2 people to lift it gets violently shaken on some tracks like the Nordschliefe.

Maybe it's this game makes more use of the FFB than it ever has because I can't remember any game giving me such an amount of FFB, I actually think PCars will kill it eventually lol.

It's just being on PC I can't see a use at the moment for any newer wheel and as you said it's enough if you have a PC, I wouldn't buy a newer Logitech because I don't think the quality is up to it anymore and I wouldn't buy a TM wheel because of the suspect quality and failures, if mine dies I will find another G25 or what are the other options because I know I'm on borrowed time, my mates G25 broke tonight where the wheel screws on and his is half the age of mine and he runs girlie feedback, he can't cope with my level of force lol.

Edit..I think the reason mine is so violent is I only use 270degrees of rotation, if I used 900 then it does make it lighter but I like a go kart sort drive so run 270.

03-10-2015, 06:37
Troll, what the heck? You said nothing even vaguely trollish. =/

FWIW 100% vs. 200% doesn't really make a difference in how much force the G25 pumps out, it just squashes output so that the wheel is already working at full power when the game sends a lower FFB signal, so for example when the game says "30% FFB strength now" the wheel could already be putting out 100% of what it can do. Around 100-107% is the best for G25 since that provides the most linear output, exact setting depending on the wheel (setting it slightly above 100% can improve the initial response, otherwise it can take until a 10% signal from game for the wheel to put out any measurable power).

For sure, the G25 also shook my desk enough that the neighbours complained about the noise of it banging against the wall every so often (until I realized I could just pull the desk away from the wall...), but I still can't call it in any way really strong. When it's working at full power and the signal is clipping I'd call the level "adequate", but only then. The real problem with the G25 for me was always getting enough usable bandwidth out of it, the strongest it could put out was something that was suitable as a resistance for the top end cars, but it had nothing left above that, which caused issues. I also like my forces strong, but conversely I'm a little guy with scrawny arms.

If your G25 really is that strong, then you have a pretty unique one. Would you be opposed to running a benchmark on it at some point?

Robhd
03-10-2015, 06:45
Had my TX since May... Brilliant. Yes sure you seeplenty of posts with problems BUT how many wheels do you think they have sold? Complainers are always far mre vocal than satisfied customers... Why you only have to look at Project Cars own detractors to figure that one out.

TX is a really great wheel backed by a farly large manufacturer... The Logitech i have no experience of but would imagine the story will be pretty similar there too... Sadly its hard to find the opportunity to try these out back to back before you buy, but i can say i also love the add on pedals, gearshift and the TM add on rim i also invested in.

Previously i have bought Fanatec products with a couple of minor quality niggles, resolved by the manufacturer quickly but the latest product is a ridiculously priced product imo..

Charger
03-10-2015, 06:49
Troll, what the heck? You said nothing even vaguely trollish. =/

FWIW 100% vs. 200% doesn't really make a difference in how much force the G25 pumps out, it just squashes output so that the wheel is already working at full power when the game sends a lower FFB signal, so for example when the game says "30% FFB strength now" the wheel could already be putting out 100% of what it can do. Around 100-107% is the best for G25 since that provides the most linear output, exact setting depending on the wheel (setting it slightly above 100% can improve the initial response, otherwise it can take until a 10% signal from game for the wheel to put out any measurable power).

For sure, the G25 also shook my desk enough that the neighbours complained about the noise of it banging against the wall every so often (until I realized I could just pull the desk away from the wall...), but I still can't call it in any way really strong. When it's working at full power and the signal is clipping I'd call the level "adequate", but only then. The real problem with the G25 for me was always getting enough usable bandwidth out of it, the strongest it could put out was something that was suitable as a resistance for the top end cars, but it had nothing left above that, which caused issues. I also like my forces strong, but conversely I'm a little guy with scrawny arms.

If your G25 really is that strong, then you have a pretty unique one. Would you be opposed to running a benchmark on it at some point?

I would be quite happy to run a benchmark on it, I do think it's an odd one because my mate who's just broke I had a go on his and said it was light and he runs 180degrees, so I set it up like mine and couldn't get anywhere near my level of forces.

What sort of tests are you thinking, I ran the FCM and it's pretty linear to the point of only needing 0.05 DRR and very little scoop, http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35147-Baseline-controler-FFB-values-Google-sheet-amp-FCM-Universal&p=1125800#post1125800

That shows the test output, I did it a few times cold and warm and it's near spot on linear.

03-10-2015, 07:11
I'm thinking about running the WheelCheck program's test that does a left-right-left test on the wheel and measures the position. It's useful for deducing the acceleration, top rotational speed, FFB delay, damping and direction changing capabilities of the wheel.

Charger
03-10-2015, 07:16
If you can point me in the right direction I'll give it a go :)

Steve UK
03-10-2015, 07:24
Hello,

Had mine since May with zero problems, probably about 3 hours a week so approx. 60 hours on it now.

Love it, it was a replacement for a G27. Much better and loving all the add ons, just waiting for my 599xx Evo wheel now.

Steve

yusupov
03-10-2015, 07:41
with 270 degrees you are essentially negating the real advantage i find the TX to have which is its potential torque output. it can go lock to lock substantially faster than a logitech wheel so inputs i used to have to make manually are now basically done for me. with such a low DoR you are equalizing that or more but of course the cost is pretty huge in the amount of precision lost