PDA

View Full Version : Does Tyre wear have anything to do with handling?

Shaun1984
03-10-2015, 07:58
Just a quick one, Formula C class, dry conditions and purposely put tyre wear on X7. Put the car against a wall and wore out the rear tyres until nothing was shown on the wear indicators and then did a few laps and went on to set my almost best Lap time at Bathurst with according to indicators 0% tread left on both rears.

I don't normally do these tests but I was just curious

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
03-10-2015, 08:32
It does, I did some endurance racing in the M3 GT on Catalunya, and once my rears got down to around 20% (on the on-screen meters) the car became much less progressive than it used to be. The grip broke easier and more suddenly. The maximum grip wasn't necessarily that badly affected, but the thin layer of rubber made the face of the tyre behave like a much harder one and made them a lot more difficult to control, and punished any mistakes more harshly.

hkraft300
03-10-2015, 09:07
On previous threads it's been mentioned that different tires in the game react to wear differently too.
So cars get moody below 20% tread like Jussi experienced. The Fornula C can hang on beyond the green of tires.

Something along the lines of: the wear indicator only reads the amount of compound wear. So once it runs out there's still some rubber left that's the base layer of the tire, which you'll also have to wear out before experiencing a puncture. Don't quote me, but cbf digging up the thread. It was much talked about soon after the wear indicators were brought in with Patch 3.0