PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear

Sisuvoima10
03-10-2015, 11:09
What is the problem with the tyre wear? Yesterday i drove 24 laps long race in Imola in rain with GT4 Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT4 and my lap times drop only 0,2 - 0,4 seconds. Tyres were worn out. Tyre wear was X2.

QPRLad
03-10-2015, 11:21
Where your tires fully grey, no colour at all? Are you saying you expected the lap times to drop a lot more?

Sisuvoima10
03-10-2015, 12:17
They were fully grey. And yes, I expected the lap times to drop a lot more.

Jego
03-10-2015, 16:34
Similar thing happened to me just before.
I had a quick race before with the Ford Focus and put much too less air in the front tires. After 3 out of 12 rounds the HUD showed them as dark red brownish yet I did not have any problems with grip.

I even got my fastest lap in the last round. Something seems odd there.

I will try this out again later.

hkraft300
04-10-2015, 02:26
The colour change to blue is temp too low. Colour change towards red is temp too hot. The colour "level" dropping to become completely grey/"empty" means tread/compound is worn out.

That said, depending on your driving style, and on tire type, you can get a few extra laps out without too much a drop in performance, because there's still rubber on the tire. If you're smooth and consistent, tire wear won't hurt you until/unless you wear out the carcass too and your tire pops.

As for hot tires, well Jego, your cold pressure was initially too low. When the tire heats up, tire pressure goes up (hot pressure) so you have better tire "shape" and grip. When it was green, at a good temp, your pressure was too low and you didn't have the grip. With hot pressure you got a little more grip, enough to get a fast time.
But your tires didn't last long, Ye?

Edit: Jego you will be much faster again if you set correct cold pressure, so your tire temp maintains at ~95c

gigirivacattivo
04-10-2015, 10:06
They were fully grey. And yes, I expected the lap times to drop a lot more.

It changes with tracks and cars

Try the ford GT40 at Spa, my lap times there dropped 2 seconds with the tyre damage at only 50%

Slicker_VR
04-10-2015, 11:46
tbh, we've had to switch tyre wear off for our league races, due to the associated BUGS. until they're fixed we can't take the risk of ruining the competition

BigAlex
04-10-2015, 23:26
It seems there is a confusion regarding the tyre colors.

After many questioning and observations I think I have reached an understanding. I may be totally wrong though.

My tyres always go from blue to green. Then from grey to red. It seems that the grey is kind of an alert that you passed the optimum temperature (green) and may be going towards overheating zone (red).

OTOH, tyre wear is displayed as a reduction in the tyre symbol size...

Roger Prynne
05-10-2015, 11:44
As the tyre symbols go grey it means tyre wear not temperature.

BigAlex
05-10-2015, 12:40
And what about the decrease of the tyre symbol size? What's their purpose? They become shorter as the race goes on. For me, this is much more intuitive.

Sometimes my tyres goes grey and then after some minutes with the car parked somewhere on the track they go green again...As they have cooled...

hkraft300
05-10-2015, 14:09
Doesn't go "grey" it turns a sort of orange brown.
The tire wear level drops when they wear out and you're left with a grey block.
Is there a chance you're colour blind? Not a joke. A friend of mine had to give up his degree as the profession didn't allow for colour blindness due to safety reasons.

Umer Ahmad
05-10-2015, 14:17
Yes as the tyre wears down, the color "drains" from top-to-bottom.

BigAlex
05-10-2015, 14:19
Doesn't go "grey" it turns a sort of orange brown.
The tire wear level drops when they wear out and you're left with a grey block.
Is there a chance you're colour blind? Not a joke. A friend of mine had to give up his degree as the profession didn't allow for colour blindness due to safety reasons.

Please see this thread.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38562-TIRES-COLOR-CODE-Grey-tires&highlight=grey+tyre

In my PS4 it is pretty much grey, then brownish, then red.... You wait them to cool down they go back to green...

PS: I'm not color blinded. At least not that I am aware of. :-)

QPRLad
05-10-2015, 15:27
Only ever seen my tires go from Blue to green to browny/red to dark red. which is obviously them heating up to temperature then over heating.

When they wear the tires act like a battery icon on a mobile phone and slowly lose colour like a "draining" kind of effect.

I have never seen this mystery "grey" when transitioning through temperatures.

can someone video it?

BigAlex
05-10-2015, 16:52
I will try to get a picture of it

Pick1name
06-10-2015, 16:16
I ran a 15 lap Formula A race at Catalunya and had tire (that's tyre for our British friends) wear at x7. Three of the tires were completely worn by the 10th lap and the 4th tire didn't wear out until the 13th. Its only at that point that there was a discernable difference in handling, but I keep driving to the end of the race. I don't think tires ever pop in this game.

hkraft300
07-10-2015, 00:05
Tires pop.
Done it in a GT4 tire wear x7 locking brakes at every turn and hitting kerbs too.

ChrisK
07-10-2015, 00:51
I think they only go pop if mechanical failures is turned on.
I also don't believe that you are achieving only a 0.2s difference between full tyres and totally worn tyres. Happy to stand corrected, but I'd need to see a video of that to believe it.

Ajnn
21-10-2015, 09:50
What is the difference between the color os Green and light green of the tyres?

RomKnight
21-10-2015, 09:58
light green as in transition for blue (cold) tires?

Asking because the "blue" used can be green for some...

Roger Prynne
21-10-2015, 12:50
The tyre colours represent 'cold to hot', so blue is cold and as the tyre temp rises it will gradually turn different shades until it reaches red if you over heat the tyres.

M-Bimmer
21-10-2015, 17:20
Usually i go with tyre wearx4. Here is a race online where everyone pitted in this relatively short race. But when i had it on wear x2 no one pitted.
Maybe tyre wear goes hand in hand with the other Settings like time and weather transition? Could someone shed some light.

http://youtu.be/sgzkyu1_yDA

Roger Prynne
21-10-2015, 20:38
Yeah I go for a x4 tyre wear as well, as I mainly do short 12 lap races in SP and everyone pits between laps 7,8,9.
If you have tyre wear on x3, pitting is on lap 11 but not everyone pits.

But when i had it on wear x2 no one pitted.
Well it wouldn't on a short race like that, because the tyres wouldn't be worn enough to warrant a pit stop.

Ajnn
22-10-2015, 11:37
light green as in transition for blue (cold) tires?

Asking because the "blue" used can be green for some...

No, is in transition of Green ( good temperature - vivid green) to light green...

hkraft300
22-10-2015, 23:27
No, is in transition of Green ( good temperature - vivid green) to light green...

Relax queer eye for race guy

Only colours you gotta worry about are blue, green and red (also yellow for flags). Check your telemetry/ Motec for tire temperatures.