PDA

View Full Version : GTX 950 - Experiences?

F1_Racer68
03-10-2015, 19:22
I'm looking at picking up a new GPU. I'm on a very tight budget, so the higher end GPUs are out of the question.

I've been looking at the new GTX 950 with 2GB GDDR5 as a budget fitting option. Does anyone have this card, and how well is it working for you in Project CARS?

poirqc
03-10-2015, 19:57
Well, i just got a 960 from ncix for about the same $$ as a 950. A 960 can be as low as 234 CAD(Without taces and shipping). 950 when i bought mine where about the same.

Good luck.

Edit - From the reviews i've seen, it's almost as fast as a 960. I have a i5 2400 paired with my 960 and it runs pCars smoothly. A 950 would probably be good enough.

F1_Racer68
03-10-2015, 21:00
Thanks! Great tip!!!

They have a GTX960 on right now for only $30 more than the GTX950 I was looking at. Decision made!

poirqc
03-10-2015, 21:17
Thanks! Great tip!!!

They have a GTX960 on right now for only $30 more than the GTX950 I was looking at. Decision made!

Link or it didn't happend!(joke)

What did you get?

F1_Racer68
03-10-2015, 21:30
Link or it didn't happend!(joke)

What did you get?

Ordering it tomorrow. Need to make sure the funds for it are in my hands before I order it (sold my aquarium).

http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-960-oc-2c-105119-1111.htm

It should be a good jump up from my current card :D

EDIT: Looks like I have to go with the GTX950 after all. My current PSU does not have the 2 x 26 pin PCI-E power connectors that are required. The GTX950 only needs 1, so I can run it. Unfortunate, but the performance numbers between the 2 cards don't seem to be dramatically different. Obviously the GTX960 has overall better performance, but event the GTX950 is a BIG step up for me...... So here is what I am going with now:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9836118&CatId=28

poirqc
03-10-2015, 22:24
Ordering it tomorrow. Need to make sure the funds for it are in my hands before I order it (sold my aquarium).

EDIT: Looks like I have to go with the GTX950 after all. My current PSU does not have the 2 x 26 pin PCI-E power connectors that are required. The GTX950 only needs 1, so I can run it. Unfortunate, but the performance numbers between the 2 cards don't seem to be dramatically different. Obviously the GTX960 has overall better performance, but event the GTX950 is a BIG step up for me...... So here is what I am going with now:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9836118&CatId=28

I bought precisely this 960 :), but it was 234 instead of 249. I've yet to send the damn mail rebate...

Nice find on tigerdirect! They seem to have really nice price on GPU.

F1_Racer68
03-10-2015, 22:30
Tiger Direct is my main "go to" spot for parts. Built my current system completely from there for under $500 CDN AFTER taxes.

Mid-level system for now, but everything is upgradeable. It has at least gotten me going with Project CARS. It will only get better from here :)

Flihp
04-10-2015, 01:00
Hey, just so you know, a lot of these cards come with the additional converter plug from molex ( if you have some on your PSu) to pcie 6 pin or 8 pin converter.. If your new card package content doesn't come with one, you would likely get one from you local pc store for peanuts.

Charger
04-10-2015, 03:12

I take it you mean 2x6pin PCI-E, that won't matter as the card draws very little power, run your 6pin to one and run a dual molex to PCI-E 6pin for the other, take 2 molex from different rails though.

F1_Racer68
04-10-2015, 05:13
Thanks guys. The problem right now with the PSU is that it just doesn't have enough total power connections. It's the base PSU that the chassis came with (450W).

Everything I have read indicates the 950 should get pretty close to the 960 with some mild overclocking. Getting both card and PSU together is not in the budget, so I will just take my chances on the 950.

I do appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately I gotta make do with what I've got right now. I know it's going to be a big step up already from the current card, so I should be pretty happy with it.

gti
04-10-2015, 07:20
Just FYI if your 450W is good quality it would be more than enough for a 960 system. What brand/model PSU is that?? Is it marked 80 plus??
But I am sure a 950 is a great card.

F1_Racer68
04-10-2015, 15:07
PSU capacity isn't the concern. It's the lack of connectors that's the issue.

Based on my research, while the 960 is definitely better, it's not a massively better than the new 950. I'm going with the 950, and pretty sure that I'll be happy with it.

Like I said, compared to my current GT630 anything will be better :) The current 630 is working, and giving me steady 45 - 50 FPS, but everything is off or low. Looking forward to seeing some tire smoke and rain spray :D

F1_Racer68
04-10-2015, 16:32
Deal is done! Tiger Direct raised the price overnight (missed out on the one day sale). Ordered a slightly different GTX950 from NCIX

http://www.ncix.com/detail/zotac-geforce-gtx-950-amp-7a-113464-1909.htm

All Benchmark results I have seen online indicate the Zotac AMP! version is the best performing GTX950 out there. It's gotten good reviews, so I should be in good shape by Wednesday :D (jumped the gun and update my sig already)

Thanks again everyone for the input.

F1_Racer68
09-10-2015, 23:53
Well, the card is finally here and installed. I just thought I should give an update. I have only driven a few miles to test things a bit, but so far I am REALLY happy.

Of course, I went for an extreme test just to see what would happen.... Road America, with 30 cars, Thunderstorm and ULTRA settings on EVERYTHING....... resulted in an average of 55 FPS. GeForce Experience optimized settings puts most settings at MEDIUM, and this results in well above 60FPS steady. More importantly, I am now seeing so many things I was missing out on before such as rooster tails, flying rubber and gravel, tire smoke, etc.

My CPU is the next bottleneck to fix. Thankfully the MoBo is designed to accept any AMD FX series CPU, including the FX-8300 series. That, I think, will have to wait until next year though......

F1_Racer68
11-10-2015, 18:29
Additional update. With some minor CPU overclocking I am now able to get a steady 80 FPS on Medium settings with all conditions on track (rain, thunderstorm, etc.) with full grid.

Based on my research and experience so far, if anyone is considering this card, I highly recommend it. It's not quite as potent as the GTX960 family, but it does use less power and runs cooler.

Charger
11-10-2015, 19:56
Well, the card is finally here and installed. I just thought I should give an update. I have only driven a few miles to test things a bit, but so far I am REALLY happy.

Of course, I went for an extreme test just to see what would happen.... Road America, with 30 cars, Thunderstorm and ULTRA settings on EVERYTHING....... resulted in an average of 55 FPS. GeForce Experience optimized settings puts most settings at MEDIUM, and this results in well above 60FPS steady. More importantly, I am now seeing so many things I was missing out on before such as rooster tails, flying rubber and gravel, tire smoke, etc.

My CPU is the next bottleneck to fix. Thankfully the MoBo is designed to accept any AMD FX series CPU, including the FX-8300 series. That, I think, will have to wait until next year though......

Don't use an FX8... series CPU on that board. you will more than likely have issues with overheating of the MOFSET's as there are no heatsinks around the CPU, your 95w FX4300 is Ok but a FX8... is 125W, EDIT... actually it looks like your board does have heatsinks but I would still go 970 or 990FX for an FX8..., the 780 chipset can have compatability issues with FX8... and you may have to upgrade the BIOS to get it to run, if you do want to upgrade to an FX8...with that board update the BIOS with the FX4300 installed and then swap out the CPU.

Also that board only has 4+1 phase power, ideally for an FX8... you need 8+2.

F1_Racer68
12-10-2015, 04:37
Don't use an FX8... series CPU on that board. you will more than likely have issues with overheating of the MOFSET's as there are no heatsinks around the CPU, your 95w FX4300 is Ok but a FX8... is 125W, EDIT... actually it looks like your board does have heatsinks but I would still go 970 or 990FX for an FX8..., the 780 chipset can have compatability issues with FX8... and you may have to upgrade the BIOS to get it to run, if you do want to upgrade to an FX8...with that board update the BIOS with the FX4300 installed and then swap out the CPU.

Also that board only has 4+1 phase power, ideally for an FX8... you need 8+2.

Thanks for the tips. I will be looking into it a lot more before making any upgrades. I figured there would be limits. I believe the board itself was designed before the FX8 series was released, so the claims were suspect for me. I certainly would not have spent the money without looking at it very closely first.

N0body Of The Goat
12-10-2015, 15:59
Additional update. With some minor CPU overclocking I am now able to get a steady 80 FPS on Medium settings with all conditions on track (rain, thunderstorm, etc.) with full grid.

Based on my research and experience so far, if anyone is considering this card, I highly recommend it. It's not quite as potent as the GTX960 family, but it does use less power and runs cooler.

Now try repeating those full grids and thunderstorm at Azure Circuit; Spa; Le mans 24 etc... The real fps killers ;)