PDA

View Full Version : how do you tell your brakes are really worn?

CPU M Rossi
04-10-2015, 04:24
ok so I was running laps in the Mercedes 300sl around Catalunya National today, around lap 25 so is when I noticed the sound went from squeaky brake sound to more of a metal scrubbing metal sound. After some more laps mechanical fault that is why I am wondering if I wore out the the 300sl's brakes.

TheReaper GT
04-10-2015, 04:32
Maybe you should monitor the brake temps.i think that other than feel there's no way to tell if the brakes are failing.

CPU M Rossi
04-10-2015, 04:57
I was checking the temps every so often :-P

Liquid7394
04-10-2015, 05:00
You'll know.

TheReaper GT
04-10-2015, 05:01
I was checking the temps every so often :-P

Gotta check this, never had brake malfunction. I'll let you know. Let's race tomorrow.

senn
04-10-2015, 05:38
there are ways :P 219668

letacomafia
04-10-2015, 05:49
This would be a really interesting test to do I've wondered if the brakes do fail but I've done some six hour races but the brakes didn't seem any different at the end

TheReaper GT
04-10-2015, 06:13
This would be a really interesting test to do I've wondered if the brakes do fail but I've done some six hour races but the brakes didn't seem any different at the end

I think that depends on brake type and material. In his car is an old car with drum brakes with are weak and ineffective as they sit, must get worst after some heat. Race car brakes when used correctly are much more reliable.

Pappa_Stig
04-10-2015, 06:28
It also depends on how often you pit during long races. By default your brakes will be replaced every pit stop unless you turn it off under the repair damage bit in pit strategy.

I usually have it off for my first stop in a Formula A race, and on for the second stop, and alternate like that. The reason is if you get the brakes fixed/replaced every stop, you'll leave the pit lane with stone cold brakes every time you pit.

Often I get a mechanical fault on screen before the second stop, and I always assumed the brakes were the fault (would be nice if the engineer told the player what was wrong when a mechanical fault came up).

David Wright
04-10-2015, 08:14
It also depends on how often you pit during long races. By default your brakes will be replaced every pit stop unless you turn it off under the repair damage bit in pit strategy.

I usually have it off for my first stop in a Formula A race, and on for the second stop, and alternate like that. The reason is if you get the brakes fixed/replaced every stop, you'll leave the pit lane with stone cold brakes every time you pit.

Often I get a mechanical fault on screen before the second stop, and I always assumed the brakes were the fault (would be nice if the engineer told the player what was wrong when a mechanical fault came up).

Have you ever seen a Formula car change brakes during a pit-stop in real life?

With its roots in ISIs F1 sims, SMSs old physics engine used to simulate disc wear rather than pad wear as in F1 its the disc which wears the most. Not sure how the madness engine handles brake wear.

letacomafia
04-10-2015, 08:34

So that's what causes the cold brakes! I always thought it was just a glitch that would sometimes happen