PDA

View Full Version : Another AI speed problem.

tclancey
04-10-2015, 16:18
Before merging this with the whole AI discussion thread, could I suggest the creation of a new group for the AI chat? That way questions wont get lost in a huge list of all the issues.

Anyway...

A solo weekend, xbox offline, 90% difficulty, the Chinese track, clear weather, GT3 class.

During the 2 practice sessions I couldn't get within 3 seconds of the AI pole time, in fact I couldn't get out of last place. However I could pass any AI on track that I came across. I've mentioned this before on other tracks, including this one I think. This time I also noticed my reported lap times were getting slower and slower the longer the session went on, this wasn't one or two tenths, it was up to 4 seconds, and yes I was returning to the pits for new tyres etc.

Then we get to Qualifying and all the AI slowed down and I ended up with a 2nd place time. I haven't run the race yet, but I expect them to be even slower and unfortunately I'm going to run away without any competition.

For some reason the AI times are not being reported correctly for some tracks, there must be some kind of time dilation calculation to compensate for, processing? I really have no idea, but the times put on the board are not the times it takes them to get around the track.

Mahjik
04-10-2015, 17:08
You are going to have to provide some screenshots of the laps times or something.

The AI will prefer different in different sessions (mainly because their fuel loads differ depending on the session).

tclancey
04-10-2015, 17:20
Yeah, I would expect some difference as they test, but why would they be 3 seconds slower in qualifying? And I really can't explain the time problem as the sessions progressed.

Once I've finished this race, which is long and I'm doing it in instalments, I'll set the weekend up the same again and see if the same happens.

Thanks Mahjik.

Mahjik
04-10-2015, 17:40
Yeah, I would expect some difference as they test, but why would they be 3 seconds slower in qualifying? And I really can't explain the time problem as the sessions progressed.

The AI uses full fuel loads in qualifying. If you use a short qualifying length, the AI will not burn off enough fuel for competitive laps.

tclancey
09-10-2015, 10:07
I always run full sessions.

Practice sessions are usually used for setting the car up for race distance where you would want to test with a full fuel load.

Qualifying usually entails going out for short stints with minimal fuel to attain the best possible lap times. I do not understand the logic with them using a full fuel load, especially when they pit several times during the session, what sense it that?

It's the wrong way around! Can we please have this fixed?

k.merse
10-10-2015, 07:13
Overheating could be your issue. Does teh engine or teh brakes gett enough cooling? They could seriously hurt your performance and it wouldn't come back, even if you change tires.

tclancey
11-10-2015, 17:27
But I have to ask, who's idea was it that AI should run qualifying with a full fuel load? How many times have you heard in F1 commentary, "And here's Lewis going out in the first qualifying session, I hope they've remembered to fill that fuel tank right to the brim!"

Please change this, it's silly.

tclancey
11-10-2015, 17:30
The problem isn't my car.

Mahjik
11-10-2015, 18:51
Maybe it's a 'limitation' rather than a 'decision'.

TKMSte66
11-10-2015, 19:40
LOL a limitation? ...what! How hard is it to fuel the cars to 5 laps or something?

Bealdor
12-10-2015, 06:19
Maybe it's a 'limitation' rather than a 'decision'.

That issue was fixed with patch 2.0 already. ;)

LOL a limitation? ...what! How hard is it to fuel the cars to 5 laps or something?

It was harder than you might think because is simply doesn't work this way: If Session=qualifying, Then fuel=fuel/lap x #laps.

The issue had to do with some series not allowing refueling during qualifying.

tclancey
14-10-2015, 10:48
It makes a hell of a difference on longer tracks, I'm running Le Mans at the moment and couldn't get past 17th in practice, but I'v just qualified 2nd with an almost identical lap time.

It's all a bit the wrong way around. And I'm sorry Mahjik, I'm a systems developer, this isn't a limitation but it might be a miscalculation!

Mahjik
14-10-2015, 13:34
And I'm sorry Mahjik, I'm a systems developer, this isn't a limitation but it might be a miscalculation!

Without throwing out "e-credential", I too work in IT. I'm not longer in a programming role, but I've written code for about 17 years. Without knowing the architecture, you cannot "guess" at how things work. When I mean "limitation", I'm referring to something being designed in one way but not working properly in all situations without developing one off scenarios. i.e. the AI likely being designed around race conditions which works for practice, but not so well for qualifying without special handling.

However, I've never seen SMS's code, but I have certain seen similar situations in my development past.