PDA

View Full Version : Fast times and traction control.

DOGHOT1976
05-10-2015, 21:34
I've been following a few people recently who have been posting very fast time trail times and also post set ups. I have just noticed that one of these people has let the cat out of the bag and I can see they have the traction control aid switched on. I tested the posted set up (which was very extreme and in no way would I set up a car like that)with TC on and off .With TC off the car was absolutely undrivable but with TC on it was fine. I never use any aids and use a wheel .I feel it's about time that Project Cars should identify that the Time Trial times have been set with "aids" and "no aids" just like they do with "wheel" and "controller" My 13 year lad has been regularly setting top 10 and top 5 times with no aids and using a wheel so if he has the talent to do that then the regular fast drivers should do the same and really prove how fast they really are!! There is no glory in setting No1 or "Worlds fastest times" if you have had a helping hand!!

HypoToad
05-10-2015, 21:47
There is no glory in setting No1 or "Worlds fastest times" if you have had a helping hand!!

Tell that to Sebastian Vettel.

Mahjik
05-10-2015, 21:54
If you use the PC web-based Leaderboards, you can see the assists used:

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/

DOGHOT1976
05-10-2015, 21:56
They need to do that on Xbox one. Will have a look at that though cheers.

Mahjik
05-10-2015, 22:03
I will say if the real car has assists, you should expect other drivers to use them. However, enabling assists when the real car doesn't have them is an "aid".

BTW, if your gaming platform is Xbox One, then you should update your profile. Currently, it says PC so we are assuming you are using the PC version of pCARS.

MrBlacky
05-10-2015, 22:20
My experience is that I'm slower with TC on.

VonSchwerin
05-10-2015, 22:33
My experience is that I'm slower with TC on.
Maybe its because TC need different drivingstyle, and different settings?

Shinzah
05-10-2015, 22:55
The TC doesn't actually put pace into any of the cars, and most should find that they are actually quicker without it if they are driving the correct kind of vehicle and have a firm grasp of gas pedal modulation.

I'm not ashamed of using aids and setting fast times. I drive with a controller. That's already ridiculous enough. When I get a wheel again, I will drive with 'real' aids setting.

TCS's primary benefit comes in the form of tire wear and better traction in poor conditions or to those without proper gas pedal modulation techniques. A car setup for TCS and without TCS shouldn't be undriveable unless the setup is actually using another input method. A controller based setup rarely translates well to wheels. Some wheels don't translate well between each other, either. A setup that relies on strange brake pressure settings and biases to negate a potentiometre will not perform very great with a loadcell brake pedal. Likewise a setup that relies on flatshifting/clutchlessshifting/sequential shifting may not translate well to one using a full clutch/H shifter.

DEDDGUY3
05-10-2015, 23:38
tc helps on high hp cars like fa and caper, but is slower on regular cars,
i use an auto tranny and have many top 10 leaderboard times

Shinzah
05-10-2015, 23:46
You probably wouldn't want to use TCS on the Caper or the FA because of the way the power is delivered. It can help with the control of the car, but it's not going to bring out potential of the car. The FA has enough mechanical adjustments that it can mechanically negate the benefit of the TCS in dry conditions.

The Pcars TCS is very beneficial to cars which utilize it in reality. Prototypes and GT cars can benefit heaps from it, especially if you have a really good right foot and can make use of the upper range of the slip angles. Pretty much any car designed to deliver a relatively linear torque curve throughout the powerband will make better use of it. But it's still nothing a foot can't do with better proficiency and that's because unless you use an ACTIVE TCS system, which isn't modeled, you would need to adjust the TCS on a corner by corner basis in order to get optimum grip.

Also TCS is next to useless on AWD and FWD cars and can, in the worst case, actually be highly detrimental to their performance.

Edit: On the Caper in specific, the TCS will help with spinning the wheels, but the engine performs at its best in the mid-high RPM range. Which is too high for the TCS to really take advantage of. As a result, if you use aggressive TCS (and the max you can go with it is 15% IIRC, which itself is plenty aggressive) the RPM's will be lower than the optimum range while the tires find purchase. Your effectively limiting the power delivery of the race car. You can mitigate this a large degree with diff settings (with even more options on the FA) Though that said, it CAN be beneficial to run the TCS with a toggle and a super aggressive setting if you do standing launch races in the Caper and in the FA/FB. This way you won't burn up your precious rear tires unnecessarily on the race start. You can use it sort of like a modern Indycar or Formula One second (or launch) clutch. Go on the lights and then toggle off the TCS once you're rolling.

havocc
06-10-2015, 00:15
P1 without tc is undriveable with Pad, wheelspin with 3rd or 4th gear...

miagi
06-10-2015, 00:55
If you use the PC web-based Leaderboards, you can see the assists used:

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/
Only that this is bugged. When I use "real aids" it always shows me as using all aids on, even SC. What insults me a little every time I look at it.

Dyemonic
06-10-2015, 00:59
The TC doesn't actually put pace into any of the cars, and most should find that they are actually quicker without it if they are driving the correct kind of vehicle and have a firm grasp of gas pedal modulation.

A well tuned TCS (controller logic/aim values and controller performance) can easily make a car/driver faster. However, PCARS has a simple TC system that just aims for a single value so it may not work well for all car, track, and tire combinations. At the very least, the aim slip can be set high to catch a big mistake and not restrict you too much in low speed corner exits.

Shinzah
06-10-2015, 01:50
A well tuned TCS (controller logic/aim values and controller performance) can easily make a car/driver faster. However, PCARS has a simple TC system that just aims for a single value so it may not work well for all car, track, and tire combinations. At the very least, the aim slip can be set high to catch a big mistake and not restrict you too much in low speed corner exits.

If the TCS was modeled with things like active TCS and a bunch of other stuff, but again, that'd end up being car specific *anyway*. But also, Pcars TCS will never make a CAR faster. It'll make a driver more confident/able to manage the car, but it's not going to put pace INTO the car. It's simply an algorithm that keeps wheelspin at a minimum based on the desired input. You might be safer if you use it and drive faster, but it didn't make the car itself faster at all. It can't. Nothing in the TCS logic *Can't* be accomplished by a human being.

Dyemonic
06-10-2015, 02:07
If the TCS was modeled with things like active TCS and a bunch of other stuff, but again, that'd end up being car specific *anyway*. But also, Pcars TCS will never make a CAR faster. It'll make a driver more confident/able to manage the car, but it's not going to put pace INTO the car. It's simply an algorithm that keeps wheelspin at a minimum based on the desired input. You might be safer if you use it and drive faster, but it didn't make the car itself faster at all. It can't. Nothing in the TCS logic *Can't* be accomplished by a human being.
Okay, TC won't make the car faster, but it can allow the driver to drive it faster. And this is beyond just a confidence level. You are also absolutely wrong in saying a human can accomplish everything in a TC system. Unless the system is tuned poorly. This holds true for even a simple system that targets a single slip value. TC systems can be much more complicated than that and may also target a yaw rate rather than wheel slip. Additionally, minimum wheel slip is 0%. You need some amount of wheel slip to accelerate and this will change with the load on the tire, speed, tire compound, etc...

TC on an OEM vehicle may be overly aggressive and can actually hurt performance in order to maintain driver safety, but professional race teams will invest a lot of resources into TC because of the actual performance benefits.

Shinzah
06-10-2015, 02:16
Okay, TC won't make the car faster, but it can allow the driver to drive it faster. And this is beyond just a confidence level. You are also absolutely wrong in saying a human can accomplish everything in a TC system. Unless the system is tuned poorly. This holds true for even a simple system that targets a single slip value. TC systems can be much more complicated than that and may also target a yaw rate rather than wheel slip. Additionally, minimum wheel slip is 0%. You need some amount of wheel slip to accelerate and this will change with the load on the tire, speed, tire compound, etc...

TC on an OEM vehicle may be overly aggressive and can actually hurt performance in order to maintain driver safety, but professional race teams will invest a lot of resources into TC because of the actual performance benefits.

In the game, there is nothing you can't do in the game that TCS does. I'm not talking about practical applications in reality. We could discuss specific TCS systems, controllers, race cars and road cars. But there is nothing in the game that will actually magically improve a race car, except right now the camber exploit which is highly likely to be patched out in a few weeks.

All it does is limit throttle application to the desired wheelslip and often, occasionally, limit torque delivery in vehicles not designed for a TCS system at all. As an "aid" it's just a right foot that doesn't let you get away with stomping down the gas pedal every corner to the floor. In the game, you can't use it to put more latent pace into the car because it's not exploitative in that function. It's not a stepped or active TCS system. It's not a complicated controller. It's probably like this for those specific reasons. It won't make the cars faster, and in many cases it makes them slower. It might help a driver BE faster. But a driver with a better tuned right leg is more than likely to outperform. This is reflected in many of the popular leaderboard times themselves, whereas unpopular leaderboard times tend to be populated by a bunch of different conditions as time-trialing isn't the most popular way to spend time on PC, the Career or MP is.

Dyemonic
06-10-2015, 02:53
In the game, there is nothing you can't do in the game that TCS does. I'm not talking about practical applications in reality.
As an "aid" it's just a right foot that doesn't let you get away with stomping down the gas pedal every corner to the floor
A TC system can still respond quicker than a driver. While the system in PCARS is limited by its simplicity, a high target slip can still be set so that it doesn't negatively interfere in some corners while being beneficial in others.

All it does is limit throttle application to the desired wheelslip and often, occasionally, limit torque delivery in vehicles not designed for a TCS system at all.
Lower throttle = lower torque (if you aren't choked by the restrictor). But I assume what you mean is that some of the cars are modeled to to reduce the throttle while other cars use different means of torque reduction (ignition cut, fuel cut, and/or ignition retard). If the game is actually modeled to only adjust throttle on cars with DBW, as you suggest (or as I implied?), I'm curious if the game models different responses for these. As a side note, modern cars will utilize ignition control for response time and phase in throttle blade adjustments.

I also want to point out that I do not use TC in this game because I dislike the oversimplification and want to do additionally training for throttle control. But if I needed something to get me a little better hot laps, I would start playing around with TC. I'd also like to see an update in the future that makes the TC system more robust. A simple table based on speed and lateral Gs would work very well. To keep it simple for the player, the TC setting would just be a number that serves as a table modifier (-5%, 0%, +5%, etc...). However, there is no doubt this would take a lot of time to implement because it would be different per car and tire.

senn
06-10-2015, 03:09
someone say AIDS? http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/52354582.jpg

Shinzah
06-10-2015, 03:10
A TC system can still respond quicker than a driver. While the system in PCARS is limited by its simplicity, a high target slip can still be set so that it doesn't negatively interfere in some corners while being beneficial in others.

Point being, the system is not corner tuned, programmed, stepped or active so it's always going to be a compromise. When compared to that compromise or a human being with skills created without it, it's more probably that a human being with track knowledge and well honed throttle manipulation skills will be faster. This is based on experience with the Pcars TCS and Without, and the popular leaderboard times. It's not a specific advantage. It can be advantageous in specific conditions but it is not an exploitable thing that produces magical results from the game.

In any case, the rest of what you're saying goes further over my head. I'm just a driver who vaguely knows how the toys work, you're going to need an enginerd for that other stuff ^^;

Dyemonic
06-10-2015, 03:57
it's more probably that a human being with track knowledge and well honed throttle manipulation skills will be faster.

In any case, the rest of what you're saying goes further over my head. I'm just a driver who vaguely knows how the toys work, you're going to need an enginerd for that other stuff ^^;
The response time of a TC system can still be faster. However, if the aim is set to low, that quicker response is only helping you go slower sooner. And that's the issue with the PCARS system, a single value won't work for an entire track, but it can still provide an advantage in a few (at least one) corners and serve as a sort of safety net for others. The benefit may be small and can't be justified solely on lap time due to potential gains/losses from the rest of the track. And let me reemphasize the point that a controller (TCS) is only as good as it is tuned (logic and performance).

I'm an enginerd that likes driving. I figured I/my parents didn't have enough money for me to start a racing career so I focused my education on race cars instead. Particularly electronic controls.

Driver aids is really important an everyone needs AIDS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC7HwPh6Es) (off topic link).

bigdaddyx2005
06-10-2015, 13:43
huh bottom line is the pro's use ABS and TC so why can't we. Gee you guys with the oh I run without that stuff on so I'm now i'm the best in the world and someone that does run it sucks at driving. Well then go jump in a real Gt3 car and let me know how that ABS and TC works for ya there....

Shinzah
06-10-2015, 13:47
huh bottom line is the pro's use ABS and TC so why can't we. Gee you guys with the oh I run without that stuff on so I'm now i'm the best in the world and someone that does run it sucks at driving. Well then go jump in a real Gt3 car and let me know how that ABS and TC works for ya there....

There's some legitimacy to their arguments. Not many people (including racing drivers) are thrilled about electronic assists in the real, actual cars.
There's quite a bit of salt over TUSC allowing FIA homogalated GT3 specification cars because of the, I don't want to make the DHH statement, but I will. "Purity" of the class without ABS/TCS.

People are going to rip this apart one way or the other. Just like they do for any preferred thing on discussion forums.

Mostly just enjoy the videogame and forget about how others are enjoying it.

Richykins
06-10-2015, 14:16
I've noticed a definite performance advantage in using TC and stability on cars with rear wings, because you can run with much lower down force. Personally I'd like the option to filter assist users out of the leaderboards in-game. Just my opinion of course.

Raven403
06-10-2015, 14:26
I've noticed a definite performance advantage in using TC and stability on cars with rear wings, because you can run with much lower down force. Personally I'd like the option to filter assist users out of the leaderboards in-game. Just my opinion of course.

I wouldn't hate that, it'd be nice to atleast SEE if assists (Real or Otherwise) were used.

Shinzah
06-10-2015, 14:32

I ran a test using the FC with TCS on controller at Monza while setting up in career.

I ran 2% , 5% and maximum TCS slip with nearly no downforce.

In Ascari especially (I bumbled through the chicanes okay.) at 2% and 5% there was no way I could take it flat.

At 15% I was taking it flat, but in 3rd.

With more aggressive downforce at 2% and 5% I was taking it flat in 3rd but the car was bogging down so much that it was becoming tedious.

With more aggressive downforce at 15% (max slip) I was taking it flat in 4th and not dropping revs enough to shift into 3rd unless I miss the line by a bit and had to at the end to avoid dropping a wheel.

The DF + 15% was worth at least a second and a half.

Edit: I have not been able to test this with a wheel yet. I need to use digital inputs on my controller because I lack the fine motor function to use the triggers, so I need SOME TCS in almost every single car.

graveltrap
06-10-2015, 15:06
Redo the test with the telemetry enabled, you can see the throttle flicker when TCS comes into play, I would be surprised to see it working at all through Ascari at higher slip levels. In GT3 I only ever see it working coming out of the slow corners, at times I do have to remember I can just plant the throttle and let the TCS take care of putting the power down ;)

I would think that TCS is less instrumental in helping with lap times than ABS or Stability control though.

Popping into the real world for a second, I went to the last round of the British GT Championship at Donington, you could hear the TCS on the Astons working as they exited the last corner and accelerated into the start finish straight, whilst it might alter the purity, i.e. that the drivers right foot isn't ultimately controlling the throttle, you would think if there was a benefit from switching it off they would after all the goal is to be the fastest and take the win (this is true for video games as well remember).

The reason it isn't used in the majority of classes is that it takes control of the throttle from the driver, actually gaining an advantage, the same could be said for ABS ;)

Raven403
06-10-2015, 15:32
Redo the test with the telemetry enabled, you can see the throttle flicker when TCS comes into play, I would be surprised to see it working at all through Ascari at higher slip levels. In GT3 I only ever see it working coming out of the slow corners, at times I do have to remember I can just plant the throttle and let the TCS take care of putting the power down ;)

I would think that TCS is less instrumental in helping with lap times than ABS or Stability control though.

Popping into the real world for a second, I went to the last round of the British GT Championship at Donington, you could hear the TCS on the Astons working as they exited the last corner and accelerated into the start finish straight, whilst it might alter the purity, i.e. that the drivers right foot isn't ultimately controlling the throttle, you would think if there was a benefit from switching it off they would after all the goal is to be the fastest and take the win (this is true for video games as well remember).

The reason it isn't used in the majority of classes is that it takes control of the throttle from the driver, actually gaining an advantage, the same could be said for ABS ;)

Abs I think is the assist that helps most. Being able to mash the pedal is a luxury I do not have without ABS and can't brake as late, but TCS helps a little too.

haydnbuzz
06-10-2015, 16:13
Before the leaderboards were wiped I took an age getting the Audi R8 LMS around the Nordschleife in under 6.50 with no assists and not set to real. I eventually got it around in 6.49.633 (as I took screenshots of my times before they were wiped to reference). I joined an online race lobby where everything was forced so TC, SC & ABS and found myself lapping similar times without even concentrating. The car felt like it was on rails and personally I think it would have been the stability control that made the biggest difference and I'm confident I could have knocked a good chunk off my time had I wanted to. I didn't however as even if certain series have driver aids and these are implemented when set to real that pretty much rules them out for me and I loose interest as it takes away the challenge imo. One thing Project cars has got right is the ability to drive the car on the throttle and it being progressive rather than feel like you've dropped off the edge of a calculation and thus all grip. I to would like to see a leaderboard that can be exclusively be filtered on those who set times with no assists. I know you can look this up on the other leaderboard but it would save you having to filter out those who had assists and those who didn't in your mind. I see some one here say that assists slow you down. Certainly for me this is not the case and for this car and I presume others they can definitely speed you up. I may be in the minority though and someone who always drives with no assits as that's how I get the most enjoyment from the game. Personally I'd prefer to know in myself that I've set my time trial times with no assists whilst heel & toe'ing & gears (where applicable) and not exploiting any camber bug because to me it's directly linked to skill in real life on the track. I'm not interested in going a few seconds faster with assists because in my mind it's cheating and removes key skills - though I admit I'd describe myself as a purist.

bigdaddyx2005
06-10-2015, 16:47
but you say your a purist but in real GT3 cars they use it man...that is my point you coming off as if you use assist then you just cant drive that good not saying that is the way you are but the way you are coming off and that is how most that talk about the assist thing. I love what pcars did with the real assist becuase that way if the car in real life has it then you have it like the pro's so if you cant drive it fast that way then yeah you got somthing wrog big time..LoL...and for one I'm happy some can drive fast with no assist thats cool but dont look down on ones that do use the REAL ASSIST in the cars and keep up with you just becuase ya'll think your better driver's. Its a game have fun with it.

graveltrap
06-10-2015, 16:59
I didn't think it was possible to force the assists on those that didn't want to use them and when allowed it defaulted to your personal settings, so in the above mentioned case you would of still been driving without them, but hey I could be wrong.

Sorry don't like the use of the C word here as everything is available to everyone in the game and it is personal choice to use them or not, saying someone is cheating by using an in game feature is bad form especially when it is accurate simulation to have them in play for certain classes / cars!

I wonder if the real R8 LMS drivers go ahead and switch this stuff off when they are about to attack the N24 :eek:

haydnbuzz
06-10-2015, 17:07
I'm not looking down on anyone who uses the assists at all. Anybody should be able to drive cars as and how they please to get the most enjoyment for themselves. I'm just differentiating that in my mind two set times with on/off can't be comparable to one another. The assists will have their own set of skills no doubt and learning how to gain the most out of them. Yes the real GT3's may have TC and ABS but these have to cater in my opinion the pro's along with the rich middle age businessmen who want's to go GT3 racing. The reality is that the assists are probably there so they are not a liability to themselves and others out on track. There is a real mix of skills in GT3 racing. There was an episode of fifth gear recently where Tiff raced a Lamborghini in a one make series at Monza with ABS - he seemed a little disappointed that some of the skill on the brake pedal had been removed. However if it makes for bigger grids and narrows the field and allows for closer racing that's fine and probably much more appealing to some - but it's just not a series to entertain me as I just prefer those without.

Richykins
06-10-2015, 17:12
Haydnbuzz pretty much said what I feel - I get my hotlap buzz on from competing with people on my level, and trying to better myself. I don't get any personal satisfaction from driving with assists, and it would be nice if it was made easier for me to see who I'm actually competing against.

Note that I'm not saying anything about anyone else's skill - there are lap times set with assists on that I couldn't touch with the same settings. Respect to those folks. But I need to feel brakes locking, and the wheels spinning. If that doesn't happen then to me it feels like a whole dimension of the driving model is missing.

graveltrap
06-10-2015, 18:50
I totally understand the need to compare times on console we have to hunt for the same car let alone what assists are being used :( It's not exactly a big chore looking for a green box with a minus sign in it on the web based stuff for PC though (I do it to look at car times myself) ;) Of course that doesn't indicate those that use the real setting on cars that come without IRL...

Racing is racing, I get the same enjoyment from GT3 as I do when watch GTE cars (amateurs race GTE cars as well remember), despite the fact one can have ABS, TCS and stability control. They still fight over position and you still need the same skill set to get the most out of the cars and the cars still slide about, at least the overtaking is still real :)

I wonder if the assist are there in GT3 because they are relevant to the real world, and help get manufactures into the series with possibilities of developing and the transferring technology to the road cars but that is probably a topic for another thread.

I don't disagree about the brakes being much more difficult to master without ABS, and I also think they probably have the biggest impact on lap times, rather than just banging pressure to 100% and not moving the balance as far rear as I want, I have to think about setting them up to maximise performance for me (muscle memory I have rubbish pedals) and the car. Saying that I have just set my best ever lap at green hell (6:44.5xx) in a GT car without ABS (BMW M3 GT), when I get a chance I will force ABS and see what difference it makes for me...

Shinzah
06-10-2015, 19:53

I could do this. But I did check the display on the HUD and the TCS light only ever came on during the turn in on the 15% test.

The main thing is that the 15% combined with the downforce was worth over a second than the aggressive TCS without the downforce. I'm more certain that the downforce played a much bigger role in this.

miagi
06-10-2015, 20:51
Lower throttle = lower torque (if you aren't choked by the restrictor). But I assume what you mean is that some of the cars are modeled to to reduce the throttle while other cars use different means of torque reduction (ignition cut, fuel cut, and/or ignition retard). If the game is actually modeled to only adjust throttle on cars with DBW, as you suggest (or as I implied?), I'm curious if the game models different responses for these. As a side note, modern cars will utilize ignition control for response time and phase in throttle blade adjustments.

I don't think there is or was any car that uses the throttle for TC. On many cars that would not be helpful, because after the throttle there is usually an airbox. Before any throttle effect can occur, the engine first needs to pump the air out of the airbox to create an underpressure and therefor a throttle effect. That would take at least one combustion cycle or maybe more, way too slow and way to dangerous. Also another problem for a race car would be that to again increase power, the airbox needs to be filled with air, what also has a delay to it, esp. with restrictors. Btw. the torttle also needs to close before anything can happen, and being a mechanical and physical part, that also creates a delay. A serial throttle flap can rotate at a speed of 1000/s, meaning it can take up to 6 ignition cycles, at high rpm, before the throttle flap is fully closed. Although an air restriction will establish before the throttle flap is fully closed.

Ignition cut is also an outdated system.

By delaying ignition timing, torque can be reduced stepless down to zero or even negatived torque. Advantages, super quick, within few milliseconds the computer can calculate a too high slip ratio and delay the ignition timing based on a model stored in the engine management system. No throttle effect, so the engine can go back to the torque it was doing on the next combustion cycle.

That is also the answer to the question, "What can a TC do a human driver can't do".

Btw. delaying the ignition timing to not create torque, RedBull F1 was doing with the blown diffusor. When Vettel went off throttle, it only delayed ignition timing, no change in throttle flap was needed and the fuel-air-mixture was still ignited. And within one combustion play the engine could go to full torque without any delay. This creates very hot exhaust gases btw.

ex_
08-10-2015, 19:05
related to this thread... is there throttle response emulated in pCARS? Individualized to each car? I think i've noticed this, and hoped(assumed) it was not input lag from my pedals...

Mahjik
08-10-2015, 19:07
related to this thread... is there throttle response emulated in pCARS? Individualized to each car? I think i've noticed this, and hoped(assumed) it was not input lag from my pedals...

http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics#Throttle_response_feels_laggy