PDA

View Full Version : Formula B MoTec display

Schnizz58
06-10-2015, 15:08
Can anybody tell me what parameters are displayed on the MoTec in the Formula B? I know the first page shows speed & RPM. The next one shows fuel remaining and something else and the one after that shows fuel consumption and something else. I'd love to know what those something elses are. TIA.

senn
07-10-2015, 04:56
Screen 1 - Speed + RPM
Screen 2 - Fuel + Brake Bias
Screen 3 - Seems to show a time...but can't relate it to current/best....predicted?
Screen 4 - Current Lap # + Total Laps

Schnizz58
07-10-2015, 05:06
I figured out that brake bias was on page 2. Also page 3 shows fuel consumption average and last lap. Page 4 just has zeroes on it as you said. What I'm looking for is tire/brake temps and either oil or coolant temp but those don't seem to exist on this particular display. Appreciate the help.

hkraft300
07-10-2015, 05:51
Tire brake temps are in telemetry. You'll have to set it in the gameplay settings (I think) or map a button for "HUD" and you can scroll to the telemetry page. No engine temps in telemetry though, so you're in the dark with the FA FB and R18 TDi and ETron, plus the older race cars without a digital display won't show tire/brake temps either.

Schnizz58
07-10-2015, 14:31
Tire brake temps are in telemetry. You'll have to set it in the gameplay settings (I think) or map a button for "HUD" and you can scroll to the telemetry page. No engine temps in telemetry though, so you're in the dark with the FA FB and R18 TDi and ETron, plus the older race cars without a digital display won't show tire/brake temps either.
Yeah, I know they're in telemetry but it would be really convenient to have them in the Motec, like most of the other Motec displays. Seems absurd that a modern race car wouldn't show that to the driver. And if the only way to know that the engine is running too hot is when it blows, then that's a big oversight imo.

hkraft300
07-10-2015, 23:06
Agreed.
I'd imagine cars of their level usually have a team of engineers monitoring many different parameters in real time and the pit boss gets on the blower and tells the driver to ease up. More probable is that such things are simulated, modelled and the car set up accordingly that the car rarely faces such a problem.
The only indication of a hot engine in the Formula A/B and both Audi R18s is the smoke in the rear view mirrors, and in those cars we're rarely looking behind!

Schnizz58
07-10-2015, 23:09
Agreed.
I'd imagine cars of their level usually have a team of engineers monitoring many different parameters in real time and the pit boss gets on the blower and tells the driver to ease up. More probable is that such things are simulated, modelled and the car set up accordingly that the car rarely faces such a problem.
The only indication of a hot engine in the Formula A/B and both Audi R18s is the smoke in the rear view mirrors, and in those cars we're rarely looking behind!
First rule of Italian driving....

And that brings up another problem. Even at the widest field of view, I can barely see my mirrors. :)

hkraft300
07-10-2015, 23:14
If the car doesn't have a rear view mirror hanging from the windscreen/roof (BMW V12 LMR aside) then Ye me too. My FOV is 85! Maybe seat adjustments will help you? Otherwise I have look left+right mapped too so I can glance at my mirrors. They don't show much though, and you'd hardly see a car in those little mirrors let alone subtle puffs of smoke in braking zones...

Schnizz58
07-10-2015, 23:17
Moving the seat back did help. I had to lose look left/right so that I could map a KERS button. I suppose I can turn on the virtual mirror but it looks funny in a Formula car.

hkraft300
07-10-2015, 23:22
I got the right stick up/down to shift and left/right to look.
Occasionally get a flick of the head when I'm shifting but I can live with it.
Hopefully I'll remember to get a keyboard today to map more buttons to it. More buttons! Because more buttons makes my couch feel more race car lol

Schnizz58
07-10-2015, 23:27
I got the right stick up/down to shift and left/right to look.
Unfortunately I can't use my controller and my wheel at the same time. Thanks Bill! Mo' buttons == gooooood.

hkraft300
07-10-2015, 23:32
BUT you can get a Bluetooth keyboard/number pad and map keys to it ;)
Some say you can take one apart and build a proper sim racing button box...

Schnizz58
07-10-2015, 23:34
Probably not. I have plenty of buttons but M$ doesn't allow me to use them all.

hkraft300
07-10-2015, 23:41
Should've got a PS4 :p
Unlucky bro!

Keithb23
08-10-2015, 01:15
@schnizz58
Do you have an Android or Apple phone or tablet? You could use a second screen app and mount your phone/tablet nearby within sight and use that for your telemetry. There are a ton of apps that support both Android and Apple. I, myself, use VDash, and have created a number of dashes for that app. I have made custom dashes for other members and would be happy to work up something for you, if you decided to go that route. I have links in my sig to some of the dashes I have done. The best part is I do it for free so you have nothing to lose but a small investment in the app! :)

hkraft300
08-10-2015, 01:20
The supporting apps are PC-only at the moment, bud.
Console guys don't have that luxury yet, but word is its in the works. Fingers crossed! I loves me some more data!

Schnizz58
08-10-2015, 14:18
@schnizz58
Do you have an Android or Apple phone or tablet? You could use a second screen app and mount your phone/tablet nearby within sight and use that for your telemetry. There are a ton of apps that support both Android and Apple. I, myself, use VDash, and have created a number of dashes for that app. I have made custom dashes for other members and would be happy to work up something for you, if you decided to go that route. I have links in my sig to some of the dashes I have done. The best part is I do it for free so you have nothing to lose but a small investment in the app! :)
Believe me, I plan to do exactly that as soon as those apps support the new data stream from consoles. However that doesn't solve the problem of not enough mappable buttons.

Keithb23
08-10-2015, 22:29
Right, I forgot to check the signature to see which system he was using. My bad.:distress: