PDA

View Full Version : Playing on Secondary Monitor

falcon2081
06-10-2015, 18:40
Hey guys I just recently got a 34' Ultrawide to play pCars. I noticed in the graphics options there is no way to have the game play on a different monitor other than your primary one. I want to keep my 27' as my primary monitor but the game will always start there. So every time I start pCars I have to set the ultrawide to be my primary monitor and its just getting annoying having to do this all the time. Anyone find any solutions for this? I searched here and on the old site as well and nothing came up.

Seelenkrank
06-10-2015, 18:59
clone picture and you got on both screens the same.
i use one PC with a 24" 1080p monitor but play in front of my 37" LCD TV on my simrig.
i use cloned picture in my NVidia settings.
if you use normaly both monitors for expanded screen its not so comfortable to switch all the time...
but for me its was the cheapest solution without buying a second high end PC to play on my rig and make the PC useless for other things.

lembi2001
06-10-2015, 19:57
Do what I do and run in windowed mode with the resolution set to that of your second screen. you can the drag the window across and position it so the top bar is either very thin or invisible.

John Hargreaves
06-10-2015, 21:42
I would suggest spending some more time with the 34"er, after a while I think you will fall in love and be happy to have it as the primary monitor. I have an old 19" monitor as my secondary, and it's great to have say the pCars forum on a webpage maybe with some setups visible etc as you are playing on the big one.
Honestly though, the 34" ultrawide is stellar for 'productivity' (whatever the hell that is) once you get used to it, and is even better for playing racing games.

Charger
06-10-2015, 21:48
There should be a setting in the config to force which monitor like 0 or 1?

Neil Bateman
06-10-2015, 22:03
If the game has no option to choose between displays it will always default to you primary monitor, you would need to run in window and either drag across or windows key + shift + arrow keys.

falcon2081
06-10-2015, 23:37
clone picture and you got on both screens the same.
i use one PC with a 24" 1080p monitor but play in front of my 37" LCD TV on my simrig.
i use cloned picture in my NVidia settings.
if you use normaly both monitors for expanded screen its not so comfortable to switch all the time...
but for me its was the cheapest solution without buying a second high end PC to play on my rig and make the PC useless for other things.

Can't use clone mode as that would make my 34' Ultrawide run at the same resolution of my 27' @ 2560x1440.

I would suggest spending some more time with the 34"er, after a while I think you will fall in love and be happy to have it as the primary monitor. I have an old 19" monitor as my secondary, and it's great to have say the pCars forum on a webpage maybe with some setups visible etc as you are playing on the big one.
Honestly though, the 34" ultrawide is stellar for 'productivity' (whatever the hell that is) once you get used to it, and is even better for playing racing games.

No need to make this 34' my primary monitor. I already have 3 27's set up on my desk. I have the 34' on my simrig. I also like using my 27' which runs at 120hz.

There should be a setting in the config to force which monitor like 0 or 1?

I did try that in the config file but it doesn't work. I was told it could be a steam issue as well. I would hate to have to make another dedicated pc build to get around this annoyance.

Charger
06-10-2015, 23:53
How are they connected? I believe Windows prioritises connections, if they are both HDMI could you not get a HDMI switch box?

lembi2001
07-10-2015, 00:01
I just found a piece of software that will help you to do this and no need for windowed mode. It's called DisplayFusion and it has features to add better taskbars to you multi monitor setup as well as moving applications form one monitor to the other.

Works a treat. No more window dragging for me

https://www.displayfusion.com/

yusupov
07-10-2015, 00:02
im planning to get a 40" HDTV for simracing but use my current monitor as my primary...you cant just switch which monitor is primary in the nvidia CP?? (or AMD) never used multiple monitors before myself so im curious about this too

Charger
07-10-2015, 00:06
I just found a piece of software that will help you to do this and no need for windowed mode. It's called DisplayFusion and it has features to add better taskbars to you multi monitor setup as well as moving applications form one monitor to the other.

I used that up until I upgraded to Windows 10, it doesn't play too nice with Win 10 though due to the hot keys.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
07-10-2015, 00:50
DisplayFusion = Da biizniiz. Love it to death, would be lost without it.

falcon2081
07-10-2015, 05:25
How are they connected? I believe Windows prioritises connections, if they are both HDMI could you not get a HDMI switch box?

34=Displayport, 27(120hz)=DVI-D, 27=DVI-I

Heard of this program before. However, I don't think you can run in fullscreen which is my intention. Don't want to break the immersion not to mention my OCD going nuts from seeing the windowed screen. I also plan to upgrade to WIN10 and according to Charger in the above post it doesn't play well. Maybe I'll give it a try before I upgrade.

im planning to get a 40" HDTV for simracing but use my current monitor as my primary...you cant just switch which monitor is primary in the nvidia CP?? (or AMD) never used multiple monitors before myself so im curious about this too

No that won't work unfortunately. Still give me the same issues as going through Windows. I'm actually under the impression that this very well be a Steam thing. I went into Rocket League and it also was missing the monitor option. Unlike in BF4 under origin which does have this option. I may have to try other games in my Steam library and see if this is a common issue in Steam.

Edit: Seems most games don't have it while others did. Kinda a shame that the output monitor option is missing in most of these games.

Charger
07-10-2015, 05:55
Try starting Steam in Big Picture mode, under display settings, select the monitor you want to play the game on. By doing this steam changes the windows primary display temporarily until you leave big picture mode

falcon2081
07-10-2015, 07:09
So I gave DisplayFusion a go. Didn't work as I suspected. It works great if you have 2 monitors of the same resolution. However, DisplayFusion could not re-size the window or maximize the game to 3440x1440. Since the 27' was the primary it kept the game @ 2560x1440 on the Ultrawide. pCars would not accept a higher resolution in the options either once DF moved the window too. Tried Steam in BP Mode. All its essentially doing is letting Steam set the primary monitor to the Ultrawide when it goes to BP mode. After you exit it sets it back to the 27' which is basically what I do manually on Windows already with a click. I think I will have to live with doing it the manual way unfortunately. I'll probably just end up building a simrig PC for all my racing games.

lembi2001
07-10-2015, 08:42
I got display fusion working fine for me last night on Windows 10. I'll post my settings later.

Charger
07-10-2015, 09:03
Ultramon is another dual screen app you might want to try.

07-10-2015, 11:23
So I gave DisplayFusion a go. Didn't work as I suspected. It works great if you have 2 monitors of the same resolution. However, DisplayFusion could not re-size the window or maximize the game to 3440x1440. Since the 27' was the primary it kept the game @ 2560x1440 on the Ultrawide. pCars would not accept a higher resolution in the options either once DF moved the window too. Tried Steam in BP Mode. All its essentially doing is letting Steam set the primary monitor to the Ultrawide when it goes to BP mode. After you exit it sets it back to the 27' which is basically what I do manually on Windows already with a click. I think I will have to live with doing it the manual way unfortunately. I'll probably just end up building a simrig PC for all my racing games.Just to try it out, select the ultrawide as primary, run pCARS, set resolution, exit, then go back to whatever you use as primary, and run pCARS again. Does the resolution stick?

falcon2081
07-10-2015, 14:07
Just to try it out, select the ultrawide as primary, run pCARS, set resolution, exit, then go back to whatever you use as primary, and run pCARS again. Does the resolution stick?

No it doesn't. Even if I make changes in the graphic config file and set it to read only pCars will still override the file somehow. I'm guessing the default.sav file where your profile is stored might also have your graphic settings stored there too.

07-10-2015, 14:16
K, was worth a shot.