PDA

View Full Version : G920/G29 FFB deadzone and 8 bit pedals resolution

fanpc
08-10-2015, 15:40
Hi, im near from buying a g920 for the xbox one. Just want to ear about the deadzone ffb some users are experiencing, is it annoying or you forget it when you play? And can we really see a difference between a 8 bit pedal set vs an 16 bit.

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance!

FAHound
08-10-2015, 17:50
Sounds like you have been watching the inside sim review. Those gents are paid by Thrustmaster and will focus on any weak point on anything without the Thrustmaster logo.

The deadzone is there but it doesn't bother me. You can ease it a little with dead zone removal.

The pedals are fine. That 8 bit stuff doesn't really matter. It'd be nice to have the extra definition, but when slamming on the brakes hard at Silverstone, I doubt many would notice the difference. The brake pedal is stiff but has a progressive feel like a real unassisted brake pedal. Some really love it, others, like me, prefer more pedal travel to the biting point. Which is why it's good that you can switch the clutch and brake pedals in PCars.

fanpc
08-10-2015, 19:56
Sounds like you have been watching the inside sim review. Those gents are paid by Thrustmaster and will focus on any weak point on anything without the Thrustmaster logo.

The deadzone is there but it doesn't bother me. You can ease it a little with dead zone removal.

The pedals are fine. That 8 bit stuff doesn't really matter. It'd be nice to have the extra definition, but when slamming on the brakes hard at Silverstone, I doubt many would notice the difference. The brake pedal is stiff but has a progressive feel like a real unassisted brake pedal. Some really love it, others, like me, prefer more pedal travel to the biting point. Which is why it's good that you can switch the clutch and brake pedals in PCars.

Thanks and yes, i was refferencing the insinde sim racing review!

And with the overall ffb, are you satisfied with it... i hearded that the g29/g920 ffb in project cars was way too lite. Is it true or do we need to do a lot of mod in the setting to have something enjoyable?

Thanks a lot and again, excuse me for my english!

FAHound
08-10-2015, 20:18
I've listed a few easy adjustments to get a strong feedback on a couple of other threads. The ffb can be very strong if you want it to be and I've yet to feel the base unit get anywhere near hot.

the_monk
09-10-2015, 15:17

Yeah i agree, those gents were saying the mad catz wheel was so so & made in china so what you expect, ask those idiot gents WHERE the TX is made? China my friends, talk about licking thrustmaster's back side :rolleyes:

FAHound
09-10-2015, 15:41
Their Mad Catz review is really out of date. The grinding problem was, and still is, with Forza. PCars runs great with a Mad Catz with no grinding and loads of strong ffb info coming through the wheel. That microphone on the unit was a cheap trick. I'd suggest listening to the positives in their reviews and researching the negatives before making any decisions.

fanpc
09-10-2015, 19:15
Last question, when i want to play with a 540 degree of rotation, is there a slider in the game where i can adjust it, like in forza 6?

FAHound
09-10-2015, 20:22
Last question, when i want to play with a 540 degree of rotation, is there a slider in the game where i can adjust it, like in forza 6?

Well, I suppose you could just go to about 58% on the calibration screen.

The G920 does come with its on set up system for the PC. It looks like it's possible to set degree of rotation there and override PCars. I haven't tried it yet.

PCars is set up for 900 degrees for the most part with the cars already adjusted by SMS. For example, the FA cars have a 270 degree rotation even though the wheel is set at 900. I would recommend leaving it on 900 and adjusting each cars steering ratio to suit your needs instead.

the_monk
09-10-2015, 21:42
Their Mad Catz review is really out of date. The grinding problem was, and still is, with Forza. PCars runs great with a Mad Catz with no grinding and loads of strong ffb info coming through the wheel. That microphone on the unit was a cheap trick. I'd suggest listening to the positives in their reviews and researching the negatives before making any decisions.

Hmm, do you have the mad catz wheel by any change? does the wheel feel grinding with forza6 too?

Thanks.

FAHound
09-10-2015, 22:24
Hmm, do you have the mad catz wheel by any change? does the wheel feel grinding with forza6 too?

Thanks.

I did have the Mad Catz wheel but sold it this week after I bought the G920. There are pros and cons to both systems but I wanted a clutch and shifter and Mad Catz still haven't bothered releasing them yet. I'd recommend both the wheels for PCars - pick any of them, you can't go wrong. If you're going to be playing a lot of Forza as well as Pcars, then I'd say stick with the G920.

Yes, the Mad Catz wheel still feels grindy with any Forza game. It doesn't feel grindy at all with PCars or F1, just Forza.

the_monk
10-10-2015, 07:04
I did have the Mad Catz wheel but sold it this week after I bought the G920. There are pros and cons to both systems but I wanted a clutch and shifter and Mad Catz still haven't bothered releasing them yet. I'd recommend both the wheels for PCars - pick any of them, you can't go wrong. If you're going to be playing a lot of Forza as well as Pcars, then I'd say stick with the G920.

Yes, the Mad Catz wheel still feels grindy with any Forza game. It doesn't feel grindy at all with PCars or F1, just Forza.
I got gifted the mad catz from my better-half, just opened it to try it, so i know the grinding feeling you talking about as i tried it with forza5, i don't care much for the shifter as i drive a car with paddle shift & dual cloth in real life, never been a fan of the shifter(personal taste i guess)
haven't tried the mad catz with f1 & project cars yet, will give it a try soon, thanks for the info.

nissan4ever
10-10-2015, 07:34

This is courtesy of PTG Ty1er Ward. Remember you need to leave your base on 900. The Formula below is how you get true steering ratio change, without changing it physically on the base.

Come to a complete stop and bring up the telemetry HUD, look at the top where you see this: IIIIIIII^IIIIIIII. Rotate your wheel to the left until the arrow stops at the left side and note how many degrees you have turned the wheel. The Formula A will stop just a bit shy of 270 degrees. So we multiply that by 2 (full left and right) and we see that is has a default DOR of 540. Now go the the tuning menu and look at the default steering ratio, it is 10.9:1- Which means for every 10.9 degrees we turn the steering wheel the tires will move 1 degree and we also now know that the tires stop turning when the steering wheel rotates 270 degrees each way left and right, 540 in total -

So by dividing 540/10.9 we get 49.54 degrees and now we know what that what the tires are doing in degrees (24.77 degrees each way left and right, this value will never change in game). So we can reverse the math-

If I want a 440 DOR then 440/49.54= 8.8 (8.9:1 steering ratio)

If I want a 360 DOR then 360/49.54= 7.3 (7.3:1 steering ratio)

If I want a 270 DOR then 270/49.54= 5.4 (5.4:1 steering ratio)

Now, once you enter your new steering ratio in tuning for your car. save it. exit free practice completely. load your practice track session again. now you got new steering ratio

FAHound
10-10-2015, 07:43
I got gifted the mad catz from my better-half, just opened it to try it, so i know the grinding feeling you talking about as i tried it with forza5, i don't care much for the shifter as i drive a car with paddle shift & dual cloth in real life, never been a fan of the shifter(personal taste i guess)
haven't tried the mad catz with f1 & project cars yet, will give it a try soon, thanks for the info.

Your better half is clearly a keeper :) I don't use the shifter online (slows you down), just in career with the cars that have shifters. The clutch is handy for starts but you should be able to map the spare paddles for that once MS do the update when the new controller comes out. If you've only used it with Forza 5 I'd imagine it was a disappointment. Have a go with PCars - that'll make you smile from ear to ear.

With PCars, knock the tyre force down to about 75 and you're good to go. Do a full reset and calibration first as the ffb from Forza carries over for some strange reason. Also, there has been a firmware update for the MC wheel, which can be found at their website, if you haven't already updated it.

the_monk
12-10-2015, 10:49
Your better half is clearly a keeper :) I don't use the shifter online (slows you down), just in career with the cars that have shifters. The clutch is handy for starts but you should be able to map the spare paddles for that once MS do the update when the new controller comes out. If you've only used it with Forza 5 I'd imagine it was a disappointment. Have a go with PCars - that'll make you smile from ear to ear.

With PCars, knock the tyre force down to about 75 and you're good to go. Do a full reset and calibration first as the ffb from Forza carries over for some strange reason. Also, there has been a firmware update for the MC wheel, which can be found at their website, if you haven't already updated it.
Thanks for the info :cool: will definitely give Pcars a try with those settings when i get back from my trip, how is the G920 compare to the mad catz? in my country only the mad catz & tx are available.

Cheers.