PDA

View Full Version : Night Light

toffee
08-10-2015, 17:03
Hello SMS!

I noticed that a few other night lights in the real life. I haven't been to live on the track but in video it looks differently. I made a few sketches.

My sketches not neat, but I think you'll understand what I mean :)

Sorry for my English :)

Mangoat
08-10-2015, 17:21
Would look nice but only for external camera views - These lens flares and blooms are "in camera" phenomenon. Human eyes would see things differently. That's why you see them in video footage of races.

toffee
08-10-2015, 17:23
Would look nice but only for external camera views - These lens flares and blooms are "in camera" phenomenon. Human eyes would see things differently. That's why you see them in video footage of races.

I agree, but with the camera it looks more spectacular :)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
08-10-2015, 17:59
Personal opion: Rather realistic than spectacular. =)

senn
08-10-2015, 18:01
If you only want it for pictures, just use Photoshop......it's hard enough at night in game to see as it is without being blinded by the trackside lights.

http://i.imgur.com/lKUfzWA.jpg

LogRoad
08-10-2015, 18:10
A-word.

resmania
09-10-2015, 01:10
Light outside the car is fine, but inside the car is completely off.

Bealdor
09-10-2015, 07:28
Fun fact: Some McLaren cars had those "cinematic" shiny light effects during development because McLaren wanted to have it this way.
But WMD rooted against it and the effect got removed/toned down to make it look more realistic.

FLX81
09-10-2015, 09:23
Does it really look like on the left of the OP in reality for you people? It might be because of my grey star, but if I m looking directly into a strong light source at night, it definitely has more flaring/bloom than ingame. Not as much as on the right, but still. And the ambiance around the light is missing ingame, that is definitely there in real life.

Bealdor
09-10-2015, 09:34
Does it really look like on the left of the OP in reality for you people? It might be because of my grey star, but if I m looking directly into a strong light source at night, it definitely has more flaring/bloom than ingame. Not as much as on the right, but still. And the ambiance around the light is missing ingame, that is definitely there in real life.

I think that's one of the weaknesses in PCARS' night lighting system. It takes away a lot of depth from the light. If this could be improved there wouldn't be any need for those camera bloom effects IMO.

09-10-2015, 13:52
Does it really look like on the left of the OP in reality for you people? It might be because of my grey star, but if I m looking directly into a strong light source at night, it definitely has more flaring/bloom than ingame. Not as much as on the right, but still. And the ambiance around the light is missing ingame, that is definitely there in real life.The pCARS system isn't perfect, but it's closer to what I see when looking at a bright light than the bloomy mess on the right. And indeed, the lighting could be improved significantly by adding the "ambiance". Still, I hope that whatever happens they'll stick to realism instead of making it look like it was shot with a camera.

toffee
09-10-2015, 14:33
The pCARS system isn't perfect, but it's closer to what I see when looking at a bright light than the bloomy mess on the right. And indeed, the lighting could be improved significantly by adding the "ambiance". Still, I hope that whatever happens they'll stick to realism instead of making it look like it was shot with a camera.

I agree, I made the effect stronger than necessary. But now that the game needs refinement. I just want to make the game better, I love project cars:)

Shinzah
09-10-2015, 14:34
The pCARS system isn't perfect, but it's closer to what I see when looking at a bright light than the bloomy mess on the right. And indeed, the lighting could be improved significantly by adding the "ambiance". Still, I hope that whatever happens they'll stick to realism instead of making it look like it was shot with a camera.

I like muh sun lens flare tho....

resmania
09-10-2015, 14:53
http://i.imgur.com/e6wZgVF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/u7G5wSr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ccrzTj3.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ef92LpM.png

Just a little comparison pCARS vs Real life

What pCARS is missing
- Lack of contrast
- Instrument light reflection
- Dynamic shadow
- Light source from behind isn't handled correctly.

Mahjik
09-10-2015, 14:56
Just a little comparison pCARS vs Real life

Keep in mind that most newer broadcast cameras are setup to produce a brighter image than what really exists (so us couch potatoes can see what's going on).

Shinzah
09-10-2015, 15:29
Keep in mind that most newer broadcast cameras are setup to produce a brighter image than what really exists (so us couch potatoes can see what's going on).

*all* cameras use a mechanical or sometimes digital aperture that can't really replicate the human eye's Iris sensitivity and biology, as well.

09-10-2015, 15:59
*all* cameras use a mechanical or sometimes digital aperture that can't really replicate the human eye's Iris sensitivity and biology, as well.Not even mentioning the insanity that is the human visual system in the brain end of things. There's some freaky voodoo shit going on with image manipulation there.

Wayfastwhitey26
09-10-2015, 16:14
Maybe they could copy Super Off Road: The BAJA night effects! LOL go to the 19-24-and 27 min mark to see the transitions! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRBX2GbGr2M all joking aside...the lighting isnt terrible in this game. Could be better but it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Mangoat
09-10-2015, 16:24
Not even mentioning the insanity that is the human visual system in the brain end of things. There's some freaky voodoo shit going on with image manipulation there.

It's true. I looked it up in my medical encyclopaedia. Entry: Human vision (also see freaky voodoo stuff (page 87)) ;)

Shinzah
09-10-2015, 16:48
Not even mentioning the insanity that is the human visual system in the brain end of things. There's some freaky voodoo shit going on with image manipulation there.

I read every one of your posts in your voice.

I just imagined you saying "Freaky voodoo stuff".

It brought me much joy. Much, much joy.

09-10-2015, 17:08
I read every one of your posts in your voice.

I just imagined you saying "Freaky voodoo stuff".

It brought me much joy. Much, much joy.I must start using that phrase more, perhaps in my next spring and damper calculation video! "When you go below 50% average critical damping, all sorts of freaky voodoo sh*t beings to happen..."

Mahjik
09-10-2015, 17:09
Guys, no cuss words. It's pretty easy to remember...

09-10-2015, 18:31
Sh*t? Since when is that a cussword? I mean outside the US.

P.S. You missed one, I'll get that for you.

EDIT: Plus if you use the search function, you get about 1000 more usages of it. I'm not complaining as such, I'm just wondering "why now?"

Mahjik
09-10-2015, 18:57
EDIT: Plus if you use the search function, you get about 1000 more usages of it. I'm not complaining as such, I'm just wondering "why now?"

It's always been that way. Read the forum rules. We cannot catch them all which is why I didn't specifically issue an infraction. It's like fishing; ever caught ALL the fish?

09-10-2015, 19:41
Gotcha, just the first time I've been on a forum where that particular word is considered rude or cussing. Will obey from now on. =)

PTG Baby Cow
09-10-2015, 19:56
Someone whined about it so now they are enforcing it.

snakey
09-10-2015, 20:33
Hello SMS!

I noticed that a few other night lights in the real life. I haven't been to live on the track but in video it looks differently. )

I think it's perfect, look at 0:38(it was build 834, but I don't think it looks different now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdRqNvUxrA0?t=37